[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cypher System: Still caster edition?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: CSR-Mockup-Cover.jpg (394 KB, 900x1157) Image search: [Google]
CSR-Mockup-Cover.jpg
394 KB, 900x1157
Is this correct?

Difficulty 7: Formidable (impossible without skills or great effort)
Difficulty 8: Heroic (a task worthy of tales told for years afterward)
Difficulty 9: Immortal (a task worthy of legends that last lifetimes)
Difficulty 10: Impossible (a task that normal humans couldn't consider, but one that doesn't break the laws of physics)

Using this RPG's jumping rules, if you have a literally 50-foot-start (which takes up your entire turn), you can jump (on your next turn) horizontally 30 feet if you succeed on a difficulty 10 roll! The world record for the long jump, set in 1991, covers 29.354 feet.

Or you can be an adept (the game's magician class) and take this as one of your multiple starting abilities. Bear in mind that a starting adept can have Intellect Edge 2, making this completely free to use.
>Far Step (2 Intellect points): You leap through the air and land some distance away. You can jump up, down, or across to anywhere you choose within long range (100 feet) if you have a clear and unobstructed path to that location. You land safely. Action.

This ability has the same character cost as:
>Physical Skills: You are trained in two skills in which you are not already trained. Choose two of the following: balancing, climbing, jumping, running, or swimming. You can select this ability multiple times. Each time you select it, you must choose two different skills. Enabler.
Being trained in a skill just lowers the difficulty by 1...
>>
1:1 mechanical balance between character options is not one of monte's strong points. this is known
>>
>>46672143
Yeah, Cypher is shit.
>>
Are ranged weapons still objectively better than melee weapons?
>>
>>46672143
That guy on the left looks like he's way to happy to do his job.

Or he flies via a super wedgie
>>
>>46672302
Yeah, he's not a very good designer.
>>
>>46677125
Then why is Cypher winning so many awards from RPG websites?
>>
>>46677239
Same reason FATE and Apocalypse World clones win awards from RPG websites? Novelty for any system that's a major departure from D&D and lets not forget the endless fellating of narrativism.
>>
>>46672143
I like it.

For all it's flaws (Which are many) the core shtick of throw-away items or Artifacts that eventually burn out makes the the happiest GM of all time. I'm even allowed to toss out CrAzY items because it'll only ruin a session. Not a campaign.

No matter what I give my group, they'll always need more and always appreciate it. No "Oh... it's just a +1 sword... toss is in the loot pile."

Can this be incorporated into any RPG system?
Fuck yes it can. But players don't comment when it's Rules as Written in the default book. Seriously Cypher system makes me happy in so many ways. The class imbalance is laughable to get over.
>>
>>46679294
>But players don't comment when it's Rules as Written in the default book.
Only if you play with autistic 3.5/PF diehards.
>>
>>46677239
Easy people go into it wanting it to be good and toss out any notion of it being bad. They just need to "be tired of the D&D systems", get lost in the character creation due to the options presented and thinking they all work as presented , and testing with friends that don't look at how the game system runs and just to see how fun it is goes "any system can be fun with the right people".
>>
>>46679294
Strange exact other way in group. Since all items were basically disposable and never meant to stick around they didn't care and often quit picking up things unless obviously super powerful in which case it just got burned out cause as asked "why keep it?". It was just trying to find ways to exploit the things they could rely upon and getting half fucked rather than using exp for a dice roll. All in all everyone felt cheated cause they never felt anything mattered so why bother with that shit? Frankly can't blame them on exp thing, that's honestly kinda retarded. Group was trying the exp for reroll thing until there were three failed rerolls in a row and they realized that that's one exp short of being able to spend on things, such as increasing a commonly used skill.
>>
>>46679707
This is my experience with Cypher too.

Fuck spending XP for rerolls. Weak as shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.