[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is magic proof of the gods? If the magic in the name of one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
Is magic proof of the gods?

If the magic in the name of one god works, does it make the other gods false?
>>
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>46671036
Magic is encompassed by Physics in the most technical sense, it is the science behind a certain form of Not!Energy and how it interacts with the world, it is no more indicative of a true God than the fact that the rock falls when you drop it.

If magic works in the name of one god, this means that the god likely exists, not necessarily though. It also does not disprove the existence of any of the other gods, provided your definition of god does not force a singular being into the role.

These two assertions are true regardless of setting unless you're really playing around with logic.
>>
>Is magic proof of the gods?
Not necessarily. Anything can be attributed to anything, that doesn't make it automatically proof. I could claim apples are proof of the apple god, but that wouldn't make me correct. I'd have to actually establish that the gods exist before I can start attributing things to them.

>If the magic in the name of one god works, does it make the other gods false?
I don't see why that would ever be the case.
>>
>>46671048
/thread

Holy fuck what is with the shitposts today?
>>
>>46671048
>>46671085
>>46671134
What if the setting is ASoIaF?
>>
>>46671154
Same answers that you've already gotten.I wouldn't put it past individuals, particularly of a pious nature to use the existence of magic as "proof," of deities, but it's not irrefutable evidence by any means.
>>
>>46671154
One of those three replies states that the setting doesn't matter, and another one implies it and states basically the same information. Only one seems to think the setting matters at all.
>>
>Leliana: I'm wondering Morrigan... do you believe in the Maker?
>Morrigan: Certainly not. I've no primitive fear of the moon such that I must place my faith in tales so that I may sleep at night.
>Leliana: But this can't all be an accident. Spirits, magic, all these wonderous things around us both dark and light. You know these things exist.
>Morrigan: The fact of their existence does not presuppose an intelligent design by some absentee father-figure.
>Leliana: So it is all random, then? A happy coincidence that we are all here?
>Morrigan: Attempting to impose order over chaos is futile. Nature is, by its very nature, chaotic.
>Leliana: I don't believe that. I believe we have a purpose. All of us.
>Morrigan: Yours, apparently being to bother me.
>>
>>46673999
>Leliana: So you truly do not believe in any sort of higher power?
>Morrigan: It has been bothering you, I see. No, I do not. Must I?
>Leliana: What do you believe happens to you after you die then? Nothing?
>Morrigan: I do not go sit by the Maker's side, if that's what you mean.
>Leliana: Only those who are worthy are brought to the Maker's side. So many other sad souls are left to wander in the void, hopeless and forever lost.
>Morrigan: And what evidence of this have you? I see only spirits, no wandering ghosts of wicked disbelievers.
>Leliana: It must be so sad to look forward to nothing, to feel no love and seek no reward in the afterlife.
>Morrigan: Yes, the anguish tears at me so. You have seen through me to my sad, sad core.
>Leliana: Now you're simply mocking me.
>Morrigan: You notice? It appears your perceptive powers know no bounds.
>>
>>46674023
>Leliana: Let me ask you this, then, Morrigan. What if there really was a Maker?
>Morrigan: Then I would wonder why He has abandoned His creation. It seems terribly irresponsible of Him.
>Leliana: He left us because we were determined to make our own way, even if we hurt outselves, and He could not bear to watch.
>Morrigan: But how do you know? You cannot ask Him this. Perhaps He has gone to a new creation elsewhere, and abandoned this as a dismal failure, best forgotten.
>Leliana: I do not need to know because I have faith. I believe in Him and feel His hope and His love.
>Morrigan: "Faith." How quickly those who have no answers invoke that word.
>Leliana: How can someone who practices magic have so little capacity to believe in that which she cannot see?
>Morrigan: Magic is real. I can touch it and command it and I need no faith for it to fill me up inside. If you are looking for your higher power, there it is.
>Leliana: But only if you can control it. I do not envy the loneliness you must feel at times Morrigan.
>Morrigan: I... leave me be. Loneliness would be preferred to this... endless chatter.
>>
>>46674045
Is this fanfic or what

This writing is atrocious.
>>
File: le shrek face.jpg (51 KB, 873x639) Image search: [Google]
le shrek face.jpg
51 KB, 873x639
>>46673999
>>46674023
>>46675964
i'm not sure i understand
>>
>>46675964
Bioware writing

No not "modern Bioware writing", just Bioware writing

Their writing team has remained fairly consistent for decades till very recently meaning the people you fags nostalgically felate for writing BG also wrote DAII
>>
>>46671036
No, and depends on the other gods.
>>
File: ButWhy.jpg (38 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
ButWhy.jpg
38 KB, 500x418
>>46674045
I never realized how annoying properly capitalized 'He's and 'Him's are when spoken by someone who's acting like a complete cunt.
>>
>>46671154
Then you get stabbed in the back and die while you're fucking your sister
>>
>>46675998
It's NPC lines copied straight out of Dragon Age Origin. Morigan being a lawless witch, the other obviously a paladin.
>>
>>46676247
>obviously a paladin
But Leliana is a bard, she's just religious.
>>
File: it depends.jpg (34 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
it depends.jpg
34 KB, 425x340
>>46671036
>>
>>46671048
/thread

When will /tg/ ever learn?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.