[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you handle currency in your setting? Do you use some sort
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: cashMoney.jpg (56 KB, 1024x573) Image search: [Google]
cashMoney.jpg
56 KB, 1024x573
How do you handle currency in your setting? Do you use some sort of base 10 division system, or is it just x amount of single currency type? Or is it something else altogether? I'm trying to come up with a currency type, but can't decide what it should be/be called
>>
Tempted to make some sort of exponential wealth indicator similar to Rogue Trader's profit factor for my homebrew setting.
>>
My new setting has a new system. From my notes:

>The currency of the realm goes as follows:
>10 copper pennies = 1 tin dime
>10 tin dimes = 1 silver dollar
>10 silver dollars = 1 gold sovereign
>10 gold sovereigns = 1 platinum bullion coin
>All costs given in ā€œgpā€ in the SRD and other standard literature are now to be read as ā€œ$ā€, with tin dimes replacing silver pieces and gold sovereigns replacing platinum pieces.
>Each country mints their own currency, but with very few exceptions all coinage has the same standard value, due to historical influence.
>Paper money is issued by some governments, and is generally only valid in that nation and its immediate neighbors or close allies. Money changers will change paper money, usually for a 10% fee, 25% if the country of origin is enemies with the country of destination. Military and government salary is generally paid in paper money.
>Sovereigns are so named because each country prints the current head of their government on them, meaning a given gold coin immediately reveals both where and when it was minted at a glance.

The setting is also going to have bearer bonds (arbitrary value bills, essentially), but the real trick is that illiterate people (barbarians and those who take the "Illiterate" Flaw) can be mislead about the value of paper money.
>>
I've been thinking about making a Space Feudalism setting, based on Dune for the most part, where the currency is precious metal coins, but it's still a fiat currency. The precious metals are just part of the anti-forgery system, like hidden watermarks.
>>
Mine is 25 copper asses to a silver society, and 16 silvers to a gold.

It's not pretty, but it's realistic.
>>
>>46664704
Cryptocurrency and sexual favors.
That is all.
>>
Our current game is 5e so there's really no surprises except that they stuck electrum back in and made it an annoying exchange rate different from the others

such is life
>>
File: mynt.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
mynt.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46664704
>>
File: ShaiHulud.jpg (331 KB, 1000x861) Image search: [Google]
ShaiHulud.jpg
331 KB, 1000x861
>>46664761
>Dune
My Shai-Hulud
>>
D&D gold system is just insane, so for my homebrew Im considering abstracting gold away, turn into another aspect of the game that's governed by xp as well, effectively removing another independent powerscale. Im aiming for a modified version of a wealth stat seen in games like RT, >>46664715, and others.

Another point, borrowed from some anon, is to implement small narrative details to give life and believability to the setting. The specific note I saved was
>The details of economic activity are secondary to adventuring, but are required to support it, and sometimes you get plotpoints.
>>
>>46664704
Currency in my games is an abstraction. There's no real bazaar like place to buy magic items or other high end equipment with currency, so there's no reason to worry about it as a fixed value beyond the first couple of levels.

I use a Wealth modifier instead. Either you have the wealth through your mod to simply get something through various trade circles, or you roll for it and add your mod to see if you can afford it. You can only try once per session for any particular thing. If you buy something via roll, your mod goes down until you raise it back up. Mod bonuses are typically in place of monetary treasure, though they might be described as such for flavor's sake where appropriate.

The world's flavor itself uses a copper, silver and gold system. Coins are small metal bits referred to as Hext for their hexagonal shape.
>>
Last time I handled money, I told my players to list money as "rulebook" money worth of national currencies. Example: "I have $125 GURPS dollars in Prussian money, $75 in Ottoman money, and $1,200 in French money."

The actual values of the currencies are irrelevant. What mattered is the abstract amount and the nationality. You may have 1200 GURPS dollars in French money, but it's worthless in Prussia. Might even get you killed.
>>
>>46665858

May his passage cleanse the world.
>>
>>46666646
So close
>>
>>46667003
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.