[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you ever agree to GM a large gathering of table top gamers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: John_Morris.png (172 KB, 305x341) Image search: [Google]
John_Morris.png
172 KB, 305x341
Would you ever agree to GM a large gathering of table top gamers for free?
>>
Yes, because when you get paid to GM, you lose alot of creative freedom. You have to pander to the whims of your customers, otherwise they'll feel like you cheated them out of their money and just pay someone who dumps loot and experience on them like candy.
>>
wait there are dms who charge?
>>
>>46663370
You seriously do shit for free?
>>
>>46663297
If I'm paying for anything that GM better give BJs as well.
>>
>>46663403
>you seriously play games for free?
yeah
>>
I'd never GM for less than £15/hr/player. You want my services, pay for them.
>>
>>46663297
Yeah, and in exchange I would reserve the right to boot people from the game if they're faggots like OP. GM'ing is a shit way to make money, I'd rather do something where I can actually make a decent wage, or do something I enjoy, than do something I dislike for shit money.

Trust me, the hours I would put into it would mean that the players paying me just for table time would be peanuts. Because I don't half-ass shit.

>>46664158

Jesus fucking christ, go get a real goddamn job if you have time for that shit.
>>
>>46663297
Define "large."

Because the guy who hosts for my group is a social extrovert, so we regularly have between 8 and 11 players thanks to guests. Only in the last few weeks has it settled down to about 6 to 8 regulars.
>>
>>46663297

How large? I wouldn't GM more than 10 players even if you paid me.
>>
>>46664314
>>46664314
>>46664317
Was going to say exactly what he said, about 8-11 people.

>>46664233
you are so fucking mad
>>
>>46663403
Everyone does right ?
>>
>>46663297
Assuming that means 'people I don't know', that sounds like a shitty idea. It's really important to have someone on the table you have played with before, because you can't run a good game if you don't very well understand what people want, what hook is going to work on them, and so. An experienced player, that is, a player experienced in games that weren't shit, will probably make a character with an actual motivation. This throws a bone to the GM because he has something to actually work with.

While there is nothing fundamentally wrong with playing for a bunch of murderhobos, that itself is something that goes better if you prepare for it. Someone in the party might not be an average murderhobo either, and this won't excite him, and you won't know in advance, and he himself might not know what he wants, and you will only find that out through several sessions that have him tag behind characters that actually have something going on.

GMing for all-stranger parties on like cons and such seriously sounds like torture. I would be able to deal somehow, but since you are giving me a choice, I'd rather not.

>>46663403
You seriously charge people money to socialize and have fun with you?
>>
>>46663297
For a large group I'd personally break them into a few smaller groups that take place in the same setting.

Don't let them know that, but certain quest hooks might be completed by other groups and they hear it in the background.

Ex. Group 1 is told about a cave with sweet loot, but dicks around and goes on a tangent.

Group 2 hears same rumor, goes after it and takes everything.

Group 1 eventually gets around to getting to the cave, but finds it empty and only anything the other group left.

Living setting and all that jazz.
>>
>>46663297
I find charging for GMing an immensely dumb practice. I'd only do it if I was friends with the group, and I wouldn't GM if I didn't like the people. Do people actually play TTRPGs with randoms and then PAY for it?
>>
>>46663403
I charge in pizza
>>
>>46663297
Yes
>>
>>46664317
Yeah, 9 is the largest group I've ever played with and 10 is the largest group I've ever DMed for. And it was 3.5 with a bunch of newfags, so it took literally over an hour to pass one round of combat.
>>
>>46663297
depends on the game and if it's with people i know
>>
>>46664158
I don't think I want any
>>
>>46663297
It depends
Do they have hot pockets available?
>>
>>46663297
i already have, i DM 'd a game of 13 people because motherfuckers wanted to play dungeons and dragons, and then they all had the audacity to berate me when i said "ay yo guys, you're gonna be fightin dragons and shit". everyone was level 4 so it was literally just
>REEEEE FUCK DRAGONS
>>
>>46663297
No because groups with more than 5 players don't work. Too much role overlap and everything moves too slowly. People get bored and the whole thing is a debacle. The ideal gaming group is GM+4 players.

Don't get me wrong though, I would never charge for DMing because I generally only play with my friends. Everyone chips in for food with the exception of the person that's hosting that session.
>>
>>46663297
How large is large, and what is the context?

Did they offer payment, or is the assumption that it's presented as a for-cash service by myself?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.