[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would Rorschach, or more to the point, a character based on him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: RRAAAAARRL.jpg (67 KB, 456x495) Image search: [Google]
RRAAAAARRL.jpg
67 KB, 456x495
Would Rorschach, or more to the point, a character based on him with his same unbending moral absolutist philosophy, be considered Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral?
>>
Lawful neutral. Rorschach is not good.
>>
>>46658137
Lawful Neutral. A good man would act outside of his own philosophies if he found himself in conflict, in a manner that was best given the situation. A good man can find compromise in the face of Armageddon.
Rorschach exists as a kind of Hyper Lawful alignment where greater good and lesser evil are irrelevant, so long as he is acting according to his own specific rules, without compromise.
>>
>>46658137
Chaotic Neutral. He ignores society's laws and follows his own sense of justice -- wherever it leads.
>>
Lawful Neutral. He's like the Mercykillers from Sigil, putting a rigid definition of truth and justice ahead of any concern for actual consequences.
>>
>>46658137
Why do you insist on cramming real-world philosophies into cartoonish D&D morality?
>>
>>46661439
Well Objectivism is a pretty cartoonish philosophy.
>>
>>46658465
Lawful doesn't literally mean lawful.It just means they follow a strict code. Rorschach is a shit person, but he at least follows his own code.
>>
>>46658426
>A good man can find compromise in the face of Armageddon.
oh but he did
there's a reason he was crying when he killed himself
>>
>>46665055
I personally interpret it as him being aware that whatever he did, he would never be able to prevent Dr. Manhattan from stopping him. He was a man determined to go by his strict moral code, ultimately prevented from doing so by the will of a demigod. He knew he was going to die so he just died with his boots on, standing his ground and spitting his last insult towards the (in his POV) hypocritical Manhattan.
In my view, he was crying because he could not reveal the whole plot to the world before he died and because he saw someone he believed to be somewhat of an ally 'betray' him.

autismode - off
>>
By Gygaxian Definition he is as Lawful Good as it gets.
>>
>>46665395
I disagree. Rorschach knew that he had already lost. If he succeeded, and stuck to his moral code, the world would be completely fucked.

He HAD to die, and deep down he knew it. He couldn't allow Ozzy's plan to succeed, but he also couldn't be allowed to stop it.

He knew he would fail, but he still had to try.
>>
>>46668616
Well, it is sort of what a moral absolutist such as him would do, isn't it? I mean, he was the one going around with the "the end is nigh" sign. A pinch of pseudo-religious fundamentalism mixed in with his moral absolutism would be just the right thing to justify his determination to let the world fuck itself up.

Granted, I haven't read that Graphic Novel in ages and my memory likes to play the lil' bastard from time to time. I might be missing some element of characterisation that justifies your position and invalidates mine.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.