[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would Warhammer 20K look like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 13
File: 20K.jpg (66 KB, 685x385) Image search: [Google]
20K.jpg
66 KB, 685x385
What would Warhammer 20K look like?
>>
>>46656982
Star trek
>>
>>46656982
Phantasy Star Online
>>
The Necrons are all asleep, the Eldar rule the galaxy unquestioned, the orks are a minor nuisance at most, the Tau are still banging rocks together, and the humans are an insignificant group that spans only a few star systems that the Eldar haven't gotten around to wiping out yet.
>>
Humans are in the midst of the dark age of technology, using their incredibly advanced robot slaves to gobble up the galaxy star by star, fighting orcs and making contact with other aliens, probably fighting some of them too. No one really pays any attention to the incredibly advanced robot slaves occasionally asking if they have souls.

Eldar are the galactic hegemon in the same way the Imperium of Man will be 10,000 years later, albeit far less numerous. With no particular threats to their position in a relatively peaceful galaxy they are beginning to show hints of decadence. A few pay attention to the occasional prophet vomiting blood immediately after waking up from a wet dream, but not many.

Orks do as they have ever done.

The other main players from 40k aren't around yet.

There are probably pooptons more minor alien races about because none of the great powers have adopted policies of immediate genocide on contact yet.
>>
>>46656982
The Golden Age of Expansion

The Warp Drive
By M18, the Age of Technology brought the development of the Warp drive and the Gellar Field, allowing spacecraft to make short Warp-jumps, travelling vast distances in a relatively short amount of time. One can compare this to the way the Tau ships currently travel.

The Warp drive accelerated the colonisation of the Galaxy, and allowed trade and communications between the colonies and Terra. Humanity began encountering other alien races, such as the Orks and Eldar, and clashed with both civilizations during this period.
Navigators

The second vital development was that of the Navigator gene and the creation of the mutant Navigators, humans who could see the currents of the Warp and navigate a course through them. This allowed spacecraft to make longer and more accurate Warp-jumps than previously possible.

During this era, many forms of Mutants were created by means of genetic experimentation in order to engineer beings that could fulfill seat goals as envisioned by their creators. Amongst those created during the Dark Age of Technology is believed to include the ranks of the Navigators though whether their development was with a purpose or by accident is not known.

The STC
Amongst the creations in this scientific high point were the Standard Template Construct system.
[...]

With Warp Drives and Navigator's, mankind was finally able to colonize distant worlds and expanded with great speed. Terra-forming techniques and evolved astro-engineering capabilities were developed that allowed them to transform barren worlds into habitable planets. During this time, thousands of colonies were established by humans on distant worlds. The resulting exploration brought mankind new knowledge, wealth and arrogance. Science is said to have become God.
>>
>>46657833
Mankind during this period was able to finally create true artificial intelligence in the form of the Men of Iron. Used as servants, these beings eventually rebelled and nearly brought humanity to ruin. After a devastating war, the Men of Iron were defeated and subsequent developments of artificial intelligence was outlawed. This edict remains in effect even to this day.

During the Age of Technology psykers were first scientifically verified to exist. It is however unexplained how these psykers avoided the danger of daemonic possession for thousands of years, which would have led to the destruction of entire worlds.

The End of the Golden Age (Beginning of the Age of Strife)
This golden age would not last. By M22, large numbers of Psykers began to appear, many inadvertently heralding Daemonic possession and incursions. As anarchy reigned, some accounts state that a great war with the machines erupted. Faced with these calamities and the sudden appearance of perilous Warp Storms, trade between the human colonies collapsed.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Age_of_Technology
>>
>>46657879
I believe it was the fall of the Eldar and birth of Slaanesh that caused such mayhem in the warp that lead to daemonic possession becoming all but guaranteed amongst psykers. Not saying that it was impossible before, but the warp was generally calm enough and psykers few and far between that turning into a full blown warp gate was extremely unlikely.
>>
>>46657790
Things weren't completely fucked until m25
>>
>>46658747
You know, with things like this around I wonder just how much city must have covered Earth before the age of strife.
>>
>>46658817
I don't think earth went the way of corasaunt
>>
It'd be Conan the Barbarian + Mad Max basically
>>
>>46658875
Maybe after M25.

>>46656982
M20 humanity would probably be expanding so fast that only the Great Crusade could eclipse it.
>>
What about Warhammer 2K?

As in a setting separate from AoS/WFB and 40K, a modern setting to go with the medieval and futuristic.
>>
>>46658936
I think they were very much at their peak
>>46658948
So real life?
>>
File: Prehistoricummies.png (463 KB, 1279x544) Image search: [Google]
Prehistoricummies.png
463 KB, 1279x544
I pretty much imagine DAoT humans to be pre-historic humans from Halo in my headcanon.

There was a certain barbarism/brutality to DAoT humans despite their huge technological advancements.
>>
>>46658948
There's a bit in Angel Exterminatus I think it was where it shows the Battle of Verdun in WWI and a German soldier completely out of it mumbles "blood for the blood god" before bayoneting a frenchy.

Only ~M2 40k-style stuff we got.
>>
>>46659091
He was actually eating his own commander and mumbling Khorne stuff. It's justified IRL as the German military wrote him off as crazy but is meant to show Chaos has been involved in human history for ages.
>>
Humans are the tau

eldar are the imperium

orks are orks

chaos is only the occational cult here or there

nids and crons aren't around
>>
>>46658866
It easily could have gone part of the way there. Though I imagine it would be easier to expand the cities out into the oceans. Maybe floating cities anchored to land at first?

There are notes about a "Northern Atlan."
>>
>>46659385
I think they built some mega cities but still tried to keep the natural beauty of earth intact
>>
>>46658948
>>46659091
>>46659116

I actually wouldn't enjoy a small setting, showing what the emperor was up to in the modern day.

I imagine him being the shadowy leader of a secret society of people fighting back against the influence of chaos on earth. He hasn't fully "revealed" himself as he will 30 thousand years in the future, but he still subtly influences mankind from behind the scenes.
>>
>>46660137
misstype..

I would enjoy a setting like that*
>>
>>46658419
Exept, you know, the HH book where it's stated that slaanesh was born 200 years before the heresy, during the great crusade.
And you know, the old eldar codex that say slaanesh was born billions of years ago when humans were fishes
>>
>>46658948
>What is dark future?
>>
>>46656982
Dune
>>
It is the 21st millenium.
The stability of the Galactic Federation is in question.
Its head, the Eldar empire had secluded itself to hedonism and new joys of pleasure.
Its hammer, the Federation of Man, had took the mantle as its protector and enforcer.
Their will is enforced by the Iron Men, extremely powerfull thinking machines.
Efficient, destructive and easily mass produced, this constructs have won many wars for mankind.
All alien species are forcefully persuaded in this federation.
All that would not join the Civilization will be hunted to extinction.
This is a time of progress for mankind.
But how long before this fragile peace be broken?
How far would mankind fall if it do?
>>
3rd ed Rule book: The Journal of Keeper Cripias
And so it was that in the First Age of Man, the Golden Age, there is the Emperor Unseen and unheralded he prepares the Old Earth for the coming of Mankind and he watches and he waits. He is joined by the First Men of the Golden Race, fine of limb and strong of mind In time, the Second Men of the Stone Race appear, and in their wake come many miracles and marvels of technology that strengthen to Sone Men’s power, but are also harnessed by those of the Golden Race. Although physically inferior to the Golden Race, and not of philosophical temperament and disposition, the Stone Men have in them the conjurations of great artifices and mechanisms. In time, the Golden Race looks to the stars to expand their dominion. The Stone Race builds great machines of power that send both Men of Stone and Men of Gold into the Ether. However, once the burgeoning race of Mankind has taken its first steps into the greater cosmos, the Golden Race dwindles in influence through their dependence on the artifices of the Stone Race. This the Golden Age comes to an end and the Stone Men prevail.
>>
>>46660362

Once Slaanesh was born, she had always been born. He's known as the new god, but she's also always existed. Otherwise, the balance of Chaos wouldn't work.
>>
File: Commissar_Shadowsun.jpg (28 KB, 300x332) Image search: [Google]
Commissar_Shadowsun.jpg
28 KB, 300x332
Mankind is exactly in the same position as the Tau, have a similarity morality, and a similar society. Society is divided between genetic castes with the Golden Men being at the top while the dimn, stubborn, but adaptable humanity of 40k is in the form of the lowest caste of the Stone Men.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52 KB, 640x478
>>46660796
>>
File: Khan troll.jpg (22 KB, 385x464) Image search: [Google]
Khan troll.jpg
22 KB, 385x464
>>46661225
>>46662524
So if the Golden Men are the super geniuses in control of mankind how is it that the Stone Men developed?
And why are the stone men creating the Men of Iron and other "miracles and marvels of technology" instead of the Golden Men?
>>
>>46657096
Tau probably don't even know how to use rocks or sticks yet.
>>
>>46662699
Because writers suck at actual explanations that would make sense
>>
>>46662699

Alphas don't want to do menial jobs, and giving orders to robots is less satisfying.
>>
>>46657096
The Eldar were untouchable but it appears that they were mostly concentrated around the now Eye of Terror though. While humanity was spread all around buf probably not really that united.

>>46660362
The HH book only has Lorgar or some random Marine experience the vision of what happened moments before the Fall. It doesn't actually happen during the Great Crusade
>>
>>46662699
I'm not very fond of the way they describe these metal men it doesn't make much sense to me I'm not sure why?
>>
Daily reminder that the statute of liberty still exist in the 41th millennia on holy Terra
>>
File: Judge Dredd America.jpg (321 KB, 650x1048) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd America.jpg
321 KB, 650x1048
>>46663457
Only because terrorists didn't manage to blow it up in early M3.

>Daily
This really comes up that often?
>>
>>46663540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJE-J7C8WvY
>>
>>46658817
Is this based on official material?
>>
>>46666049
it's always cool to hear guys switch accents on the fly
>>
>>46658817
Actually Brazil's name does come from the celtic legends.
>>
Weren't the Orks contained by the Eldar and the fall of their empire allowed the WAAAGH to spread across the galaxy?
>>
>>46668193
The old ones took all the tech from the orks leaving them at preindustrial levels.
My head cannon is that some human colonies from the DAOT landed on some of these worlds and ork meks got their hands on STC went back up to galactic level menace and began a massive war against humanity
>>
>>46668123
http://eotbeholder.deviantart.com/art/Warhammer-the-Age-of-Strife-Near-the-End-301092866

>props to the folks over at Total War Center, from whom I got the majority of my info.
>>
File: WMS_00210.png (475 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
WMS_00210.png
475 KB, 1024x512
>>46658817
>>
File: WMS_00240.png (498 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
WMS_00240.png
498 KB, 1024x512
>>46669090
I'm thinking one of these could be used for the basis of an age of strife map of Earth. Could borrow some elements from those with less water for the geo-engineered areas along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
>>
>>46662699
Not at all. "Stone" men and "Golden" men comes purely from the in-universe diary of a present day Imperial scholar. The 41st millennium is an age of ignorance and history is mostly a half forgotten myth. Hence all the bullshit and outlandish stories.
>>
>>46668720
>>46669090
>>46669149
I kinda want to run a game in the age of strife era on Terra. The PC's can perhaps be a band of mercs from various nations and areas taking odd jobs here and there
>>
>>46669204
"Raiders from orbit! Hide your tech, it's the Blood Rav- I mean the Techpriests of Mars!"
>>
>>46669173
Didn't medevil people think the Romans were giants
>>
>>46669310
No "giants" back then were just people who was really tall for them (Our average height today would be giants for them) since humans where a bit shorter back in the olden days
>>
>>46669310
actually the romans thought the germans were fuckhuge because their semi nomadic life meant that the germans had a better diet than the romans.
>>
>>46669310
There are people today that believe race of giants existed.
>>
>>46669310
Some "barbarians" thought that only giants would had been able to build some roman buildings.
>>
File: innsbruckgiant (1).jpg (234 KB, 585x400) Image search: [Google]
innsbruckgiant (1).jpg
234 KB, 585x400
>>46669821
There's bound to be the occasional case of gigantism popping up.
Tallest living man right now is 2.5m.

>>46669940
That makes sense.
>>
Space elves vs Technobarbarians

aka what Warhammer should be about
>>
>>46656982

Half as tall
>>
>>46658419
What about enslavers
>>
>>46657096
> the Eldar rule the galaxy unquestioned
About as much as rome ruled the know world unquestioned ca. 500 AD.
>>
>>46658817
too much water, i.e. any water on the surface at all.
Any kind of nations and territories make no sense when the population lives in hives and the rest of the surface is inhabitable.
the adherenece to old ideologies like "merkia" is idiotic when you stop to think that the entire planet was ravaged by warlords for millennia.
>>
File: main_400x400.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
main_400x400.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
What would Warhammer 2016 be like?
>>
File: syrian-civil-war2.jpg (74 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
syrian-civil-war2.jpg
74 KB, 640x360
>>46673058
People that would later settle Tallarn shooting at each other.
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 400x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 400x560
>>46661225
>He is joined by the First Men of the Golden Race, fine of limb and strong of mind.

Uh...
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.