[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Secretly ripped characters.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 18
File: Aeonflux.jpg (73 KB, 610x320) Image search: [Google]
Aeonflux.jpg
73 KB, 610x320
Have you ever secretly based a character off of a series you don't want to mention to your party.

Pic related, first shadowrunner.
>>
A rip-off is not the same as using a reference.

I've tried to recreate certain characters within game systems, but it was mostly for the act of creating them and seeing how well I could simulate their abilities. I never intended to actually play them.
>>
Changeling the lost character ripped from dresden files, shadowrun character straight out of firefly. As dm I once based all my npcs on comic book characters. I dont want to tell the guys in my group, not because im embarrassed, but because I want ro see if they will pick up on it. So far none have sadly, and Iad some of them pretty blatant too.
>>
>>46652042
Which comic characters are you using?
>>
Based an entire campaign around berserk with the party being the band of the hawk and an npc being Griffith
>>
>>46652067
I'd play it. Anyone catch the similarity?
>>
>>46651974
Someone still remembers that show? I'm impressed.
>>
>>46652042
As a gm I do like to do this, mostly for minor npcs.

For more important things I go more esoteric. I ripped off Ambergris for an entire planet in Dark Heresy once and stole very important npcs from infinite memenovel.
>>
>>46652133
I'm watching it on youtube right now actually.
>>
File: 1460404984970.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1460404984970.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
I see my PC's doing this all the time. They dont want to say it and when i confront them
>AAAWWW NO ITS TOTALY NOT LIKE DRAVEN I MEAN COME ON HES AN ARTIFICER AND IM AN ENCHANTER BLEURGH
>>
>>46651974
I based a character off of Antonio Banderas character in expendables 3. It was fun playing an old adventurer desperate for some new friends to travel with while reminiscing about the good days gone bye. Sad that game just fizzles out.
>>
>>46652062
A pretty eclectic mix.

Raven, poison ivy, wolverine, beast, rorsache, clayface, the flash, sandman etc. There are a few more but thats what I can remember off the top of my head right now without consulting my notes. Those are most of the major npcs.
>>
>>46651974
I've been meaning to play an Arcane trickster in 5e for some time, and one of the group is running vampire heavy game. He's also a massive JJBA fan.

It was inevitable that I'd make Joseph Joestar.
>>
I made characters in Pathfinder that functioned like Dota characters.
One was Phantom Assassin the other was Legion Commander.
>>
>>46652438
>Legion Commander
You had better not have been in a jungle, anon.
>>
File: xf-01-011.jpg (485 KB, 1200x1860) Image search: [Google]
xf-01-011.jpg
485 KB, 1200x1860
>>46651974
Quite often. Usually I "borrow" only a few minor quirks or the driving force behind them, but with Rictor here I pretty much copied everything.
>>
>>46652402
Ah, you see, the problem is your players are also 14, but they haven't read all the mature, serious literature you have.
>>
>>46652740
Im quite curious what gave you the impression im 14. Are you just trying to bait me? Or do you object to my tastes?
>>
>>46652103
None of them read mango but I think one of them had seen the anime but he didn't notice since I changed some of the names and made Dragonslayer show up in my version of the golden age arc
>>
>>46651974
In my campaign, I gave Satan the face and personality of Mr. Rictus. Wanted was shit, but damned if I didn't love that loathsome grinning bastard.
>>
I've made more than a few characters based on Jayne from Firefly.
>>
>>46652798
I'm not that guy, but your list has themes that a 14 year old would love and is far from eclectic.

Maybe they noticed and are too embarrassed for you to point it out.
Plus, the personality of some of those characters is heavily shaped by their powers, so a portrayal with the same personality without the powers would come off as a very different person.
Flash's style of pranks without his speed? Wolverine's attitude about fighting without his regeneration? Beast's composure in the face of people staring without his inhuman form? Those are core characterizations that require the context of their powers; to display the same underlying personality without those powers would change the behavior enough to not really be recognizable, and the same behavior without the powers would have substantially different indications about their personality. If you have the person *and* their powers then they're being directly inserted rather than you just ripping the character and it may be entirely too obvious and cringe-worth to warrant comment.
>>
>>46653234
he is a very fun character to play
>>
>>46651974
I definitely thought this was going to be a thread about characters that were secretly muscular and how players tried to keep surprise Str/Con/whatever stats secret. Honestly, I'm disappointed.
>>
>>46653418
Same here.

>>46651974
Basically every character I make. Although I always tell the entire group about it.
>>
>>46653418
Keeping your stats secret is trivial. I once prepared a fake character sheet to hide some stuff from the other players, but it's not even necessary. Just don't tell them and don't show them.
>>
>>46652416

You do know that the Sun Soul monk in SCAG is essentially a Hamon user?
>>
>>46653307
While I would still like to hear from that guy, I appreciate you thoughts.

First, while not an absolute mixed bag, this is an appropriate use of the word eclectic, meaning from a diverse variety of sources. Admittedly they are from mostly big name comics, and if you want to divide it by producer then Ive really only derived material from three sources, but if we go by titles then Ive pulled subject matter from a number of titles, and the characters themselves differ from one another a great deal.

Second, it is true that aspects of a character tied into their personality can be hard to transfer over into derivatives. And while its true that you cant make literal carbon copies in most cases, depending on the system it is quite possible to find analogues. Fortunately the system I was working with in this case was quite flexible. If I was trying to do this in your standard high fantasy rpg I could understand it being cringe worthy, but perhapsif you cant imagine how to make this sort of thing work well you lack imagination or experience with games other than dnd.
>>
>>46651974
Does your shadowrun character die horribly every session?
>>
>>46652438
I'm curious, how did you recreate Legion Commander?
>>
>>46654503
that's what edge is for, anon.
>>
File: 1349040516735.jpg (739 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1349040516735.jpg
739 KB, 1920x1200
>>46651974

Only once. It was for Shadowrun, and goddamn if I didn't have fun because all of my group didn't know shit about anime.
>>
File: 1457522173720.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457522173720.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
>>46651974
>"Secretly ripped characters"
>Thread isn't about musclegirls
>>
>>46651974
I had a character who was secretly ripped because she's afraid her muscles would scare off everyone else and wanted to conceal them
>>
File: mI5EiXr[1].png (125 KB, 250x289) Image search: [Google]
mI5EiXr[1].png
125 KB, 250x289
>>46651974
I'm not sorry
>>
Without fail ripped characters are always from fucking anime shit.
>>
>>46651974
Not a whole character. I sometimes use one as a starting point then work from there, leaving in a couple things as a nod to the original.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 350x518) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 350x518
One of my first 5e characters was a rouge/fighter based on pic related
>>
>>46654713
Order of the Flame Daring Champion.
Used two Cruel Dueling swords.
it sorta worked the only other way I could see it being done would be a permanent version of Deadly Juggernaut.
>>
File: YESIAM.jpg (53 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
YESIAM.jpg
53 KB, 720x405
>>46651974
Not even sorry.
He doesn't have a Stand, but that's pretty much the biggest difference.
>>
File: AlacornWIP.jpg (203 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AlacornWIP.jpg
203 KB, 800x600
A long time ago someone on /tg/ was discussing his plan to play a Succession War era MechWarrior RPG where one of the PC unearthed a SLDF Alacorn Mk VI Heavy Tank and decided to use it to start a mercenary company.

It went on for a while where /tg/ was discussing how viable this was and if an Alacorn could be maintained with crappy tech and weather or not his employers will try to double cross his company and steal the tank. It wasn't until half way into the thread before people realized that this was actually Valkyria Chronicles in space.
>>
>>46651974
>Pic related, first shadowrunner.
Anon... Shadowrun is older then Aeon Flux.
>>
File: 250px-WorfTNG.jpg (14 KB, 250x305) Image search: [Google]
250px-WorfTNG.jpg
14 KB, 250x305
Umil, my current character D&D character is a Dwarf Paladin was based on Worf from Star Trek the Next Generation.

She was adopted by a drow bard turned trade ship captain. And over her childhood she learned many tales about heroic Dwarves and Dwarven culture, much of it not true.

Part of her reason for adventuring and becoming a paladin is feel like a proper, honorable dwarven warrior and to meet more Dwarves , and find out about her own clan. And that might be hard, considering she only knows common and undercommon.

Another one of the party members left his dwarf clan because he saw them as backwards and bigoted. She doesn't believe him yet.

So far, she's accidentally helped release a green dragon that's a hareld for the Apocalypse and has been so far been ineffectual in her quest to stop human supremacist mayor from committing genocide on the local goblin population. So yeah, just about as good at her job as Worf was. Being Worf is suffering.
>>
>>46652302
Fuck off, namefag.
>>
>Female character who rarely speaks.
>Crossed eyes.
>Likes muffins.
>Works as spy, receiving and sending information in written form.

In a CoC game none the less.
>>
>>46660820
>>/mlp/
>>
File: bro grabs.jpg (22 KB, 415x382) Image search: [Google]
bro grabs.jpg
22 KB, 415x382
>>46652416

My man
>>
>>46660820

I based a stormsorcerer on Rainbow Dash once. I took every spell/feat/ability that would give me the ability to fly or do thunder damage and I was self centered, abrasive, and overly cocky. I hid my power level from the other players by saying the character was actually inspired by Sterling Archer.
>>
I'm playing as Miss Militia in a supers game. No one in that group has read Worm. I think I'm safe.
>>
File: 600full-casshern-sins-photo.jpg (61 KB, 298x423) Image search: [Google]
600full-casshern-sins-photo.jpg
61 KB, 298x423
They only figured out because I named my robotic dog Friender, and that was after a couple sessions.

Not quite there on the immortal part though.

Besides, Bladewolf is so played out.
>>
File: Monkey Magic.jpg (9 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
Monkey Magic.jpg
9 KB, 200x233
>>46651974
I've regularly played a monk in a few D&D games that always used wise-cracks and used a staff. They've yet to figure it out at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_5BORSayc
>>
File: Fourth_Doctor_Gives_No_Fucks.jpg (43 KB, 300x322) Image search: [Google]
Fourth_Doctor_Gives_No_Fucks.jpg
43 KB, 300x322
I cribbed a lot of Tom Baker's mannerisms for playing a chaotic good necromancer in 5th edition.

Though it turns out having a reputation for handing out candies makes it much easier to trick someone into eating the fuzzy ball from a bag of tricks without looking at it first.
>>
>>46662621
Probably because that's a common trope based off of Sun Wukong, the same mythological creature that Goku is based on. He also inspires many kung-fu movie characters and other anime characters. Chances are your party gets what you're going for, and just assumes that it's a lame, generic kung-fu/weeb trope.
>>
File: the game is rigged.png (240 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
the game is rigged.png
240 KB, 500x375
>>46655984
Gosh!
Crumb-bum
>>
>>46662290
What a faggot.
Who am i kidding, i based several of my characters characters on Gilda.
>>
File: 3102529-harold+lorre+5.jpg (391 KB, 1192x1072) Image search: [Google]
3102529-harold+lorre+5.jpg
391 KB, 1192x1072
I once based my character in Mage The Awakening on Harold Lorre from Crossed. Too bad that game fell apart by the second session...
>>
File: kha orron 1.jpg (48 KB, 681x863) Image search: [Google]
kha orron 1.jpg
48 KB, 681x863
I based my current character on Scar from fullmetal Alchemist. My elven people had been slaughtered and I swore a murderevenge spree.

After three levels of adventuring though he's slowly morphing into Venom Snake from MGSV, since I'm now more building an army than a one man army.
>>
>>46664477

Which issue is this? I think I wanna track this down.
>>
Most of mine drift pretty far once the boat actually gets in the water, so to speak, but the current game is over and our GM can't decide if we're going to run DnD 5e or Star Wars: Saga.

I'm not good with Scifi in the first place and so my Saga characters concepts are a pack of rip-offs.

The fringe vigilante lawman is basically McCree from Overwatch, and the sheltered corporate hacker thrust into the dangerous underside of the galaxy is basically Rhyse from Tales from the Borderlands.
>>
File: catarinaonion.png (2 MB, 800x735) Image search: [Google]
catarinaonion.png
2 MB, 800x735
>>
>>46664535
Badlands 12, i think. You know, the one wih the bikers, murder clowns, and yellow-belly.
>>
>>46656486
A fine choice.
Wasn't he also a caster of some kind, too? I remember him being a jack of all trades, in a way.
>>
>>46664477
>Too bad that game fell apart by the second session...
Knowing what kind of guy Lorre is, I think that was a good thing.
>>
>>46651974
I've openly ripped NPCs for my game. I even give them the same name so it is more of an homage than a straight up rip.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.