[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the church using death imagery isn't evil, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: BillMurraytree.jpg (33 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
BillMurraytree.jpg
33 KB, 600x400
>the church using death imagery isn't evil, it's just their way if honoring the ancestors
>the knight in skull helmet isn't BBEG's henchman, it's just a heraldic symbol of his family
>village blacksmith has no idea how to work with armor
>that hobo preaching about apocalypse is right about everything except the date
>the child you've found in the abandoned house is not a vampire, just a street urchin
>the emperor doesn't want to enslave everybody, he just keeps his nobles on a short leash and foreign propaganda hates him for that
>the wizard council is made of some of the brightest people who can tell right from wrong
>>
>You actually have to eat
>Scabs do get infected
>Magic isn't real
>Life is eternal dogshit
>>
>Someone posts a thread that starts off with vague statements in greentext
>Autism is likely
>Go away
>Everyone don't post in this thread unless you _______
>>
>>46646538
>propaganda
>free press
I'm not sure I follow.

>can tell right from wrong
No one has ever doubted their ability to do that. What people doubt is if they care.
>>
>>46646538
Christianity uses death imagery
>>
File: descartes-meditac3a7c3b5es[1].jpg (95 KB, 1031x860) Image search: [Google]
descartes-meditac3a7c3b5es[1].jpg
95 KB, 1031x860
>>46646564
>No one has ever doubted their ability to do that. What people doubt is if they care.

Excuse me you little shit? You better check yourself before an omnipotent demon tricks you into wrecking yourself.
>>
>>46646538
I legitimately have no idea what you are complaining about.
>>
>>46646538
The only defining aspect of religion is a preoccupation with death. Any religion you could name is, more or less, a roadmap for the process of dying.
>>
>>46646586
It's not a complaint post. It's just spins on a few tropes to liven up an RPG.
>>
>>46646731
Oh. It kind of had the feel of a player complaining that things were different than he expected.
>>
>>46646731
>>46646768
If it's not a complaint post then OP's choice of image was very poor.
>>
File: 1435627379192.jpg (236 KB, 600x795) Image search: [Google]
1435627379192.jpg
236 KB, 600x795
>>46646538
>the knights aren't a force designed to protect a hereditary monarchy from peasant revolts
>they're democratically elected protectors of the land
>>
>>46646538
>the church using death imagery isn't evil, it's just their way if honoring the ancestors
That's nothing new.
Even Christianity does that.
>>
>>46646784
Knights train from early childhood.
How the fuck are you supposed to make an election for them?

I could understand if a particular order (or their leaders) were democratically elected. But knights in general? That's just not how it works.
>>
>>46646538
>the emperor doesn't want to enslave everybody, he just keeps his nobles on a short leash and foreign propaganda hates him for that

TW3
>>
File: 1458199524033.jpg (51 KB, 400x323) Image search: [Google]
1458199524033.jpg
51 KB, 400x323
>>46646774
>>
>>46646795
They are elected from foot soldiers, I'd think.
>>
>>46646538
>campaign starts with an ideal premise in a well-estabilshed, classic flavored setting
>in a handful of sessions becomes a homebrew clusterfuck of stuff copypasted from everything else, with house rules and randomized character tables
>there is no way to quit without fighting irl with your friends
>>
>>46646822
Foot soldiers did not normally train their entire lives.
They were a relatively cheap force.
>>
>>46646538

Been there. Was inspired by Mexico's Day of the Dead and the Bone Church in Europe.
>the knight in skull helmet isn't BBEG's henchman, it's just a heraldic symbol of his family
The Skull was actually the crest of his patron town. Players accepted this without question.
I have them track down notable armour smiths for purchases. Though any random smithy knows basic repair and upkeep.
Haven't done doomsayers yet. But I have done a Cassandra Oracle before which even the players blamed for all the shit that happened.
>the child you've found in the abandoned house is not a vampire, just a street urchin
She was meant to be a Vampire? Urchins in my games are just urchins. Once also a highwayman.
I was never aware this was a trope to be subverted? Haven't done this one yet.
>the wizard council is made of some of the brightest people who can tell right from wrong
And only one of them was the obligatory bad guy.
And even he played by the rules.
>>
>>46646795
One game I played in once every township above a certain size would have several knights permenantly stationed there.
Elections would be held to decide which would represent the town within the Royal Cavalry Regiment on a six year rotation.
>>
>>46646795
politicians train their entire lives, and we still elect them.

Knight campaigns would just have tournaments instead of debates.
>>
>>46646981
>politicians train their entire lives,
What fictional world are you talking about?
>>
>>46646990
You don't think the bushes, kennedys, and clintons of the world weren't groomed from early age to wield influence and power?
>>
>>46647024
Bush was way too much of a failure for that, so no.
These men also had advisors.

I am not saying that people don't go to special schools in order to become better at rhetoric and other skills that would make them more successful in politics. But that is still very different from the training that elite soldiers do.
If you can find me a politician who has spent 8 hours a day, 6 days a week on his demagogue skills ever since he was 7 years old, then you have the political equivalent of a knight.
>>
>>46647049
knights have sucked too despite being groomed.

And the political process is more machiavelian: knowing people, and getting the right people to like you is more important than being a good speech writer or deliverer. You can pay people for the former, and for the second, you can just call the other guy uptight and say "i'm the kind of guy that you'd rather have a beer with than listen give a speech" for your main campaign.
>>
>>46647398
>And the political process [...]
Apparently has nothing to do with training your entire life. Thanks for agreeing with me.
>>
File: 1375017633674.jpg (18 KB, 197x262) Image search: [Google]
1375017633674.jpg
18 KB, 197x262
>>46646564
>No one has ever doubted their ability to do that.
I do.
>>
>>46647413
How'd you get that? Seems like a huge leap of logic.

You train your entire life to be able to capture people in connections. To manipulate people. To twist the systems of power to your whim.

Not to give good speeches.
>>
>>46646795
I'd like to think there are already knights and one of those knights gets elected to lead the rest. Sort of a Marshall?
>>
>>46646538
Isn't that normal?
>>
>>46647453
>Seems like a huge leap of logic.
Not such a big leap when you explain that both things you consider qualities of a good politician can be accomplished without training.
>You can pay people for the former, and for the second, you can just call the other guy uptight and say "i'm the kind of guy that you'd rather have a beer with than listen give a speech" for your main campaign.

>You train your entire life to be able to capture people in connections.
Yeah, so show me a single politician with such a training regime.
>>
>>46646795
All citizens of the realm engage in two years minimum work as a soldier in the army. Many will never see the battlefield, but will work to support any who do.

The virtues of strength, discipline and courage are made popular by encouraging all youths to train in the arts of war. We will invent games to support these skills in peacetime.

Now everyone is knights, just only a few have the charisma and education to be elected.
>>
>>46647049
>find me a politician who has spent 8 hours a day, 6 days a week on his demagogue skills ever since he was 7 years old
As someone who went to a "prestigious" private school and law school, I can tell you that these people exist and they're just as awful as they sound.
>>
>>46647482
>tfw a player screams "bullshit" in my face because a pastoral halfling village's blacksmith has never seen a real breastplate in his life and only sells things the village would actually use
apart from a suit of leather armour designed to fit halfling-sized people.
>>
>>46647520
So, did they become politicians?
>>
>>46647492
Anything can be accomplished without training if you're talented enough at it. And I've already provided you examples of entire families that have groomed themselves for politics. You dismissed one member of one family because he was bad at it (despite getting elected to the highest office in the world, he was bad at politics). I've held my tongue so far, but you're a moron.
>>
>>46647482
They may be able to do rough patch work or bang it back into something resembling a shape, but yeah. Armorsmiths were a thing for a reason. Blacksmiths only know the more basic aspects of metalworking in most cases and mostly deal in horseshoes and farm equipment.
>>
>>46646981
I would love to see politicians in a knight-style tournament. They both have a debate, then physically defend their arguments!
>>
>>46647529
Well it's too early to say yet, they've only just graduated, but they're right on track to do it. They've joined their respective parties' university groups and are doing internships in politicians' offices.
>>
>>46647510
>two years
That's not a whole lot of training for elite soldiers.

>by encouraging all youths to train in the arts of war. We will invent games
>middle ages
>peasants having free time to play games
This is the time when people are considered adults at the age of 12 and expected to pull their weight in full. Farming without modern tools is a huge amount of work.
>>
>>46647526
That'd be the tanner's job, wouldn't it?
>>
>>46647529
One of the ones I knew in law school (not that guy) is probably going to end up as a ted cruz body double or some sort of removed advisor to donald trump, depending on which of them win the presidency.

I'm basing that on the rumor that Trump will tap Jeff Sessions as VP though. That's where my friend ended up.

>>46647554
Sounds fun to me. I bet bernie could take hillary.
>>
>>46647546
>families that have groomed themselves for politics.
They are powerful families with connections everywhere and lots of money. That is not the same as lots of training.
>>
>>46647575
how they raise their kids though is the same thing as lots of training.
>>
>>46647558
Apparently my society is just better then.
>>
>>46647583
Spoiling them endlessly?
No, it's not.
>>
>>46646538

Human child pretending to be a monster disguised as a human child so people won't take advantage of him, thank you for the NPC/encounter.
>>
>>46647566
Yep. Now that I think about it, it might have been studded leather. My point was that my player thought it was bullshit that he couldn't buy a steel breastplate off a guy who makes iron horseshoes and nails for a living.
>>
>>46647558
Peasants in the Middle Ages also tended to have more days off than most people today. You had seasonal festivals, religious holidays, your local lord's festival, then you had the one your church threw.

Also, that was 2 years of service, not 2 years of training.
>>
>>46647602
>You had seasonal festivals, religious holidays, your local lord's festival, then you had the one your church threw.
Yeah, that sounds like almost 2 weeks worth of holidays.
>>
>>46647593
more teaching them how to manipulate people, attract people, manage money, manage people, lead people, attract money, read people, and do all that within the appropriate mannerisms for the setting they are in (i.e. bar manners, table manners, ceremony manners).
>>
>>46647622
Yeah, so give me the curriculum of a single one of those top politicians that they have worked on since they were little.

You are just pulling this out of your ass.
>>
>>46647615
The religious ones alone are nearly a month.
>>
>>46647615
To add to >>46647602

While working your own land was backbreaking work, when you were forced to work for the landlord... well, lets just say that there are folk songs about what you spend the 8 hours robot, and only about 1/8th is "work".

Winter was also a sort of recovery period, since there were no real work on the fields then; you had to feed the animals, maybe cut some wood and prepare foodstuffs, but that's about it.
>>
>>46647602
You were expected from a young age to be capable of using arms effectively and maintain the logistical capability of sustaining yourself and your retinue at all times. Two years service perhaps but you had to be ready for it at any time. Plus the whole culture of Western military aristocracy prized such skills as signs of essentially being a good person.
>>
>>46647632
and you aren't? you're saying that every knight ever has trained all their lives, and that electing people who have trained all their lives to positions of power within a knightly order is impossible. You're retarded.

Knights were groomed, just as politicians can be. There are politicians who have trained all there lives, and they have successfully been elected.
>>
>>46648020
>and that electing people who have trained all their lives to positions of power within a knightly order is impossible.
At least read my posts before responding, fucktard.
>>
>>46646795
>>46648033
Oh, sorry. Then allow me to answer your question:

People train all their lives for combat, or are just naturally good and popular.

These people participate in wars/battles regularly, and later, tournaments in election years.

During november every 4 years, the public votes on who they think is most worthy to the title knight.

The top X votegetters are knighted by the feudal (but democratically elected) lord, and given minor holdings and titles.
>>
>>46648077
I don't think that would be very practical, but it's certainly possible.
>>
>>46646538
So just like many prominent religions ever
Looking rad isn't limited to edgy cunts
Yeah, the guy who fixes tools for a living ain't an armorsmith
Dumb but I really can't see a problem with it
Statistically more likely
So just like most rulers
So the wizards who are actually capable of keeping a council together made sure that their leaders aren't some retarded bumfucks who fuck shit up. That's good.
Le wizard no sense of rightwrong can be found being a massive deranged hermit cunt in that tower over yonder.
>>
File: 1440904779652.jpg (156 KB, 1024x795) Image search: [Google]
1440904779652.jpg
156 KB, 1024x795
>>46647558
Two years are more than enough to make elite soldiers m8. Modern armies turn green recruits into decent soldiers in far less time and most of that time is spent doing pointless timewasting crap like washing rocks and raking leaves.
In two years of dedicated training you can make spec-ops tier troops.
>>
>>46646538
Not only do I not see a problem with this, I think it's really funny and hope to find a way to use it.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.