[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Table-Top Webseries Beyond the Barrier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12
File: btb.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
btb.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
Some of you might've heard our plea last year to support our webseries on Kickstarter. Some of you might've heard about it through other ways.

Well .. Beyond the Barrier is happening!
Two weeks ago we released the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVAysgU1SA

And in two days (15th of April) will be the release (on a weekly base)!

We've had a blast creating this, and hope you like it at least as much as we do :D!
>>
Seems Good, will try to remember it exists.
>>
>>46644939
Will be a nice thing to watch when I get home on Fridays. Looking forward to it.
>>
>>46644939
>pathfinder
Ewww
>>
>>46644939
What is this about?
>>
To each his own, D&D3.5/4/5, Pathfinder, WoD, CoC .. Live and let live, we're all tablet top playing roleplayers in the end, are we not?

Each system has it's pros and cons.
>>
>>46645275

TL;DR:
Webseries about Pathfinder player, showing their RL-lives as well as their IC-adventures.
Aimed to be realistic on the RL part.

From the press release:

‘Beyond the Barrier’ follows the daily lives of a group of players of Pathfinder. Pathfinder is a roleplaying game not unlike Dungeons & Dragons which is played with pen and paper while seated at a table. It is played by millions of people around the world.

Besides showing how our main characters cope with what is going on in their daily lives, ‘Beyond the Barrier’ will show the adventures our characters experience in their games as well. The viewer gets a good look on how the game happens in the imagination of the players. The game is set in a medieval themed world, the scenes for which were shot in The Netherlands.

Last but not least, ‘Beyond the Barrier’ shows the influence a game like Pathfinder can have on the daily lives of the protagonists and vice versa; and what kind of influence their real life struggles have in the choices they make while playing.

With ‘Beyond the Barrier’ we aim to give a realistic look into the lives of a group of people playing their game with a lot of passion. We want to break wrong stereotypes and show why this kind of games has been popular for over 40 years.
>>
>>46644939
See >>46645207
>>46645275
That's a disingenuous position.

I mean, I'll probably give it a try (though some of the humour seems kind of borderline), but I'm not entirely sold to say the least.
>>
>>46645272

This was meant for you:
>>46645294

Misclicked -_-
>>
>>46645300
I honestly believe what i said here: >>46645275

I play 3.5, Pathfinder and WoD myself.
I enjoy all three of the systems almost equally, and I do understand that some people might only like one, and even dislike others. I honestly believe, though, that each system has it pros and cons which are appealing to certain people.

It's like saying "Xbox sucks, PS rules, Wii is weird." imo.
Different systems, different people, each with strong and weak sides.
>>
>>46645341
>It's like saying "Xbox sucks, PS rules, Wii is weird." imo.
No, it's more like saying "I honestly think Iron Man 3 was a better movie than the first".
Look. I have no issue with people having fun with it. I enjoyed PF myself for a while.

It's just extremely dishonest to say "Well, I guess it's just as good a system as WHFRP, Symbaroum or Pendragon because... I said so", and makes you come across as a bit of a tit.
>>
>>46645372
You're right, I can see that as a better fitting comparison :P.
It wasn't my intention to come over as a 'tit'. I took the 'Eeew' comment kind of as insulting to people who enjoy Pathfinder.
Just as insulting as I find it if people think less of each other, or feel the need to insult other peoples preferences (even though you believe it's shitty).

If person A thinks the new Batman v Superman movie was great, but person B thinks it's guttershit, there are other ways to discuss or share your opinions, without insulting person A's interest right in his face.

Again, my excuses if I offended anyone :)
>>
>>46645419
>It wasn't my intention to come over as a 'tit'. I took the 'Eeew' comment kind of as insulting to people who enjoy Pathfinder.
They can handle it. Trust me.
>:P
>:)
Look, tone comes across fine if you put in the effort. Emotes just make you sound incredibly teenaged and condescending of your talking partner's intellectual capability.
>If person A thinks the new Batman v Superman movie was great, but person B thinks it's guttershit, there are other ways to discuss or share your opinions, without insulting person A's interest right in his face.
You know some shitty fucking people. Like, damn.
>>
File: 1362941250455.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1362941250455.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>>46644939
>Webseries
>Pathfinder
>Watching other people play tabletop
There is literally NOTHING more boring than being a spectator to a tabletop game. Especially when you literally just watch and can't join or send a clue to people.

Seriously, it's as if you were sitting during the game for few hours, while the rest of the team is playing right next to you. This usually makes people quit, not wait with anticipation. And such people at least can somehow influence the fuck is going around

But I guess there are enough retards around to throw money on pretty much ANY Kickstarter project, regardless of the quality of the idea or the pitch itself.
>>
>>46645432
>Look, tone comes across fine if you put in the effort. Emotes just make you sound incredibly teenaged and condescending of your talking partner's intellectual capability.
Old habits, really.

>You know some shitty fucking people. Like, damn.
It was a random example, given the hate the internet seems to have against that movie. I haven't seen it myself, yet. Actually haven't talked to anyone IRL who's seen it actually.
>>
>>46644939
Fuck off.
>>
>>46644939
Oh god I just watched that trailer and cringed so hard I pulled a muscle.

Please kill yourselves.
>>
>>46645472
> There is literally NOTHING more boring than being a spectator to a tabletop game.

Beyond the Barrier doesn't show all that much of "People sitting at a table". There are some minor cutscenes where people say what they are doing (as seen in the trailer). But most of the "Game time" is being shown as the 'in-game' adventure, the fantasy world.

The parts not in the fantasy-setting are not about showing people sitting at a table, but about their lives outside of the gameroom.

We, too, don't like watching people sling dice and checking their sheets and nothing else.
>>
File: kRrkfUU.jpg (26 KB, 540x223) Image search: [Google]
kRrkfUU.jpg
26 KB, 540x223
>>46645566
>Beyond the Barrier doesn't show all that much of "People sitting at a table". There are some minor cutscenes where people say what they are doing (as seen in the trailer). But most of the "Game time" is being shown as the 'in-game' adventure, the fantasy world.
>The parts not in the fantasy-setting are not about showing people sitting at a table, but about their lives outside of the gameroom.
>>
File: absolutely.jpg (239 KB, 1044x770) Image search: [Google]
absolutely.jpg
239 KB, 1044x770
>>46645566
Original anon here.

So let me get this straigh. We are not only suppose to watch other people play tabletop RPG (which kind of works when you make a movie out of it, a la Gamers), but:
- make a series out of it
- focus mostly on their daily life
- put tabletops in it just to make it slightly less soap-operey and more player-friendly soap-operey?

This project is more disgusting that I've initially assumed. Who the fuck invented this? Are you seriously expecting people watching a fucking webseries that is pretty much soap opera among RPG players?
Seriously, if this will go any other way than getting more than about 10k views per episode and then gets canned after 5-6 of them because of production costs and running out of ideas, I will be fucking surprised.

But then again, by that time I might actually forgot there was such naive project aiming at fucking seven different targets with completely incoherent and inconsistient means.
Fucking soap opera about gamers... playing tabletops... focusing on their day-to-day issues... and crowd-funded... It's already giving me a head-ache
>>
File: You really mean this.gif (415 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
You really mean this.gif
415 KB, 500x332
>>46645566
So you are basically making a TV drama, only crowd-funded and put directly in the web? Ho boy...

Why then even bothering with the "fantasy land of RPG" element, if all it will do is just inflating the costs for no fucking reason.
Because by the premise you know how it sounds? Like a preachy Saturday morning cartoon, where bunch of kids/teens solve their problems and issues by some fantastic means while learning to support each other and the value of true friendship.

No wonder it's posted so fucking early, because in few hours Burgers would tear this apart with a massive shitstorm. And amazingly they would be forgiven, since they would be fucking right to do so
>>
>>46644939
>Begging for money
>For Kikestarter project
>On /tg/
>For shitty series barely connected with tabletops

Why this thread isn't pruned already?
>>
>Expecting /tg/ or 4chan in general to be interested in anything that isn't a 7/10 at least in concept.

They will shit on you OP
>>
File: 102313_1.1.jpg (75 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
102313_1.1.jpg
75 KB, 900x600
>>46644939
>We've had a blast creating this, and hope you like it at least as much as we do :D!
>:D!
>:D
And aside this shit - the trailer is so fucking bad I wonder what you are expecting. Word "cringe" doesn't even start to describe the feeling of watching it

>>46645275
>Each system has it's pros and cons
>Pretending Pathfinder has pros
>>
>>46645860
They aren't begging for money anywhere.
In fact, the KS was last year, and looks like they didn't make it (after checking their YT channel).
>>
>>46645870
I honestly wonder what OP was expecting upon making this thread. Or if OP ever was on /tg/ before for that matter.

By Friday barely anyone will still remember about this shit. Given the hour, barely anyone will read this thread at all. Given the quality of the trailer, it might end up as anti-marketing.
So what the hell? Or I've missed something and those threads are going on daily basis for few days lately?
>>
>>46645884
>and looks like they didn't make it
I'm not surprised. The idea is just fucking meh. It's not bad. It's simply meh.
>>
>>46644939
Take your retarded attempt at virally marketing your shitty project elsewhere.
>>
File: Disgusting.jpg (254 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.jpg
254 KB, 1024x768
>>46644939
>How not to do viral marketing: The Post
>>
You know what the shittiest part is?

OP isn't going to give a fuck.

He doesn't fucking care that the concept is terrible, he doesn't fucking care that the trailer was just plain cringe inducing, he doesn't care one bit. He's just going to fuck off back to some other internet hugbox mumbling under his breath about how 4chan are just mean trolls picking on him, and not take a single step towards improving this stupid, pathetic, painfully cringy idea of a web series.

I would say fuck off to reddit, but he probably already did, fingers in his ears shouting "LALALALALALA FURCHINS ER JUST TROLLS!" the whole way.
>>
File: This.jpg (49 KB, 1039x250) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
49 KB, 1039x250
>>46646091
>>
>>46646091
Why wouldn't he? YouTube is the same kind of padded, supersafe hugbox. Shit like this gets liked 100%, probably because OP spams this among family and 'friends' as well.
>>
>>46646103
I bet he'll post it on imgur and become a huge hit because that fucking posterchild of faux-geek hugbox will go gaga over anything "geeky."
>>
>>46646120
Pre-emptively disliked to provide a buffer against those retards.
>>
>>46646103
>Youtube
It's all about self-control. There is shitload of videos that makes you cringe about how awful they are... and the best thing to do is to keep that for yourself.
Because there is no such thing like bad publicity in the net. OP might not even care if the series runs on hatedom and hatedom alone, because he still gets views and still generates traffic and still get paid in the end.

So the moment you see some shit, the best thing to do is not to spread it. This way shitload of "youtubers" just fucking died, as people stop passing their cringe-infested vids.
>>
>>46645566
>The parts not in the fantasy-setting are not about showing people sitting at a table, but about their lives outside of the gameroom.
You can't be fucking serious...
>>
>>46645795
>No wonder it's posted so fucking early, because in few hours Burgers would tear this apart with a massive shitstorm. And amazingly they would be forgiven, since they would be fucking right to do so
On one hand, I kind of want to keep the thread alive long enough to see that happen. On the other, it means giving this pretentious piece of shit views.
>>
>>46646195
So I guess we've got a semi-agreement to let this thread simply die. Or just bump few threads, so this shit will fall somewhere past 5th page.
>>
>>46644939
Commercial advertising is a bannable offense.
>>
>>46645893
No, it's a pretty shit idea
>>
I'm curious. Could all who believe this is bad give arguments as to why you think so?
>>
>>46646614
>>46646654
>>46647085
>Bumping this shit instead letting it die
You had one job, anons. One fucking job
>>
>>46647085
Fuck off OP.
>>
>>46647085
Let's think
>Webseries
>Made on a budget
>About tabletop players
So far it's not bad nor good, it's just a starting point
>Instead of focusing on the players as they play it's about players life
So it's a fucking soap opera pitch. Seriously and sincerely, this is how you create a soap opera - you take some group that is tied together by Factor N and then show they day-to-day routine. In this case the N is "playing Pathfinder".
You want to watch soap opera? Really?
>If that wasn't enough, the actual quality of video itself is just subpar
You usually put the best bits into trailer. And this one is pure cringe. It's not even "so bad it's funny", it's actually "so bad it's bad"
And most importantly
>Commercial advertising on 4chan
This is just against the rules
>>
>>46647098
>Bumping
I saged, fampai. Too bad you and the others didn't
>>
>>46645294
>shows the influence a game like Pathfinder can have on the daily lives of the protagonists and vice versa; and what kind of influence their real life struggles have in the choices they make while playing.

if there isn't an episode about trying not to get a boner when.the gm enters the magical realm you have beefed it
>>
>>46647259
>OP desperately trying to shill for his pathetic idea
Seriously? You are so desperate?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-13-14-20-26.png (408 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-13-14-20-26.png
408 KB, 960x540
Knight girl is cute but everything else is comedy gold

>CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING
>>
>>46647259
>asterisk roleplay garbage
>fcking
Hi OP, how's your first time posting on 4chan?
>>
File: 317.png (90 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
317.png
90 KB, 500x501
>>46647259
>Expecting people will fall under blatant b8
>>
>>46647259
>Why is it? Elaborate, you're just repeating your own comment in other wording.
The acting is stilted as fuck, and the accents are horrible. I can't think of any reason not to have done this in a language the 'actors' are actually proficient in.

There's a reason you didn't make your kikestarter goals. Stop trying to force this on people. It's not going to catch on.
>>
>>46647259
>Though the budget must be pretty low given the fact they didn't make the KS goal.
Why not check the data on Kikestarter
>4000 pounds as a goal
>14 backers, giving 870 pounds in total
>Not a single backer giving more than 149,99
>Almost all pledges below 30 pounds

This not only shows how awfully low budget this is (and as what it was intended, too), but tells about the total lack of interest. That's just laughable.
Seriously, if Kickstarter project didn't surpass about 30-40 backers for such project, it means it's just makers' friends throwing money on it.

But then again, given the non-existing acting skills of the crew and poor quality of the video, what to really expect? Especially when combined with so-so premise
>>
>>46644939
>Barely reached 1/5th of very low KS goal
>Finished 4 months after schelude
>Pathetic acting
>Cringe-worthy dialogues
You seriously expect anyone will care if you just dump it on /tg/? It failed so far for a fucking reason. The premise is boring, the performance is bad, the quality is low and it's pretty much serialised drama barely connected with tabletop games.
Also, out of all RPGs - Pathfinder? Really?
>>
I love where this thread is going.
>>
>>46648298
>pretty much serialised drama barely connected with tabletop games
Seriously, this. It's like you're marketing a soap opera as a sci-fi epic because some of the characters have acid-induced visions of being spacefaring heroes in between the tired old bullshit of 'hurr durr muh relationships'.

Nothing about this trailer or your pilot episode is engaging. Why am I supposed to care about these inexplicably English-speaking nobodies in a non-disclosed area that clearly isn't in any English-speaking region on earth? And why are you also asking me to give a shit about a whole other set of characters in some unconvincing fantasy land as a side plot? You don't even have a solid core, and you're tacking on bits of fantasy gaming bullshit you clearly don't have the funds to pull off.
>>
wonder how many people are actually interested in this, or even looking forward to it, but do not dare to speak because of the ongoing shitfest in here
after the first two positive comments, shit hit the fan

nice try OP, but this isn't the right place as you see.
goodluck, you'll need it, low-budget fantasy usually is the worst kind of low-budget production
>>
>>46648514
Nobody. First two comments are probably OP himself.
>>
>>46648514
>Implying half of /tg/ is afraid of arguing with the other half

Bitch please.

The only right place for this shit is among the creators' friends and family. "Oh look, anon made a thing. Let's encourage him!"

It's a little pet project that should have stayed little, and trying to market it to a general, actually critical audience is a recipe for disaster and butthurt.
>>
>>46648408
>Not having funds
I really, really wish people will finally realise you just CAN'T make fantasy production without proper budget and actual scenario. I mean films like first Gamers could get around it, because it was made by half a year worth of students, using their own gear, costumes and what not.
But their second film had a budget of fucking 73 grands when they couldn't just ask friends from the campus anymore to help around as extras. They've needed locations and sets too.
And it's still obviously "no budget" production.

4 grands to make SERIES? No fucking way. Just not possible.

>>46648645
>and trying to market it to a general, actually critical audience is a recipe for disaster and butthurt.
Not really - just check this post and you will understand: >>46646091
>>
>>46648408
>>46649079
Remember they also had to pay Paizo for using Pathfinder.

I mean how retarded one must be to openly go for licensed product instead of just making things up or not mentioning the titles or whatever else? There are dozens of things that can be done instead of paying for franchise and title rights.
Especially in territory of amateur film productions created for spare pocket change.
>>
If all you fucking neckbearded faggots would actually get out of your mom's basement and engage in some actual fucking creativity once in a while, you wouldn't be so blatantly spiteful when someone comes along who actually managed to make something out of the hobby.

You could judge the video based on its own, admittedly low-budget merits, but no, you had to go out of your way to circlejerk each other's hateboners.

Fuck you faggots.
>>
>>46649221
>you dislike something
>ergo you have no social life
Okay.
>>
>>46649221
Mate, I'm doing shorts with pals from reconstruction groups about once per six-seven weeks.
I'm also running tabletop section in local youth centre, getting fresh and young blood to the hobby.
So yeah, I'm doing fine with my hobby, social life and creative ways of spending time.

And this still won't make me stop from heavy critique of this whole project. It has completely unrealistic goals, it's obviously a personal pet project that went out of any control and there is nothing interesting in it.
Also, as noted by numerous people, this is just a run-the-mill drama that happens to have minimal connection with tabletop RPG, but as the project openly states - that's just a background for "the real stuff".
So why it's even on /tg/ then?
>>
>>46649221
>You are just jelly!
Here we go, elementry school-tier line of defense.

Maybe it skipped your attention, but most of those posts list pretty fucking solid reasons why this is a cringe-worthy piece of crap. But just so you won't have to search too much:
>no real core idea for the project
>soap opera premise with RPG shoehorned to it
>bad, bad acting
>"actors" using language they are not familiar with, which makes the dialogues even more cringy
>no budget, as in really no budget
>lacking not only core, but also goal to reach with the story
>material for short-to-medium film turned into series
In total - complete failure on even basic planning level, with creators being so out of touch with reality they are actually still trying to pitch for the whole thing, even after abysmal Kickstarter reaction.
I mean usually such things like complete failure of securing funding and interest rings people a bell, so go fucking figure how much this is a pet project that will be pushed regardless of any factors or just common sense
>>
>>46649304
Fucking newsflash: not everything needs to be about roleplaying games all the way.
The connection to the game is fine, it doesnt need to be the centre of attention.
>>
>>46649221
Yes, because it's better to keep pushing absolutely unrealistic idea and never admit it might be just beyond your capabilities to turn it into anything more than a clear and obvious failure.

There is barely any potential in this. To make a series you need to have a solid idea that will last you for at least 10 episodes to even call it a series. Even if the episodes will be shorts, lasting 15-20 minutes, that still means you need to have enough material to make 3-4 hours of it.
And since it's a series, each episode must be engaging, amusing or interesting. Because if it's not, people will simply stop after first episode.

And judging by the pilot, they fucking will.

What REAL material this project has? It's not enough to make even a fucking short movie by just throwing ideas into a heap and then film it.
So what's a premise? Bunch of people playing games, ok.
Where is this heading? Um... since as for now it's nowhere, this probably means "personal drama"
Ok, so if it's personal drama, are the characters engaging or create any emotional reaction? Not really, since we don't care in a slightest about them
Ok, so what's suppose to keep people watching it instead? A gimmick in form of cuts to the event of the game.
Ok, so is it just a gimmick or actual plot point? Well... in a sense both, but since it can't clearly decide, it means it works as neither.

So we have no real plot, no real characters, no interesting elements in it nor any novelity value to cover for the previous.
Do we at least have a target?
Well, the gaming elements are just a shady background, so players won't be interested.
Anyone else will be put off by the gaming elements, since they only appeal to players.

So the idea doesn't have a fucking target.

Congrats, it's a show that goes nowhere for nobody.
Aside of course creators ego.
>>
>>46649444
Ever heard about Occam's razor?
The game elements are pretty much pointless to the premise, really. And if you remove it, what's left?

Soap opera

That's right. If you remove this, you've got absolutely standard, boring and not engaging soap opera.
Again then, why it's pitched on /tg/?
>>
>>46644939
>everyone treating playing tabletop games the same as being a Jew in Nazi Germany
Is that outdated cliché even still relevant? Nerdy shit is pretty hip these days and even if it's not, it's not like the dude can't just keep it on the downlow instead of acting like it's some grand cross to bear. Or maybe just say he's just going out to have a few drinks and play some games with some buds.

Like, I get you're trying to go for the melodrama angle, but holy shit is the trailer alone so fucking hamfisted.
>>
>>46650785
Seriously--we live in a time where dudebros are hype as shit talking about Game of fucking Thrones. The Avengers movie was a fucking blockbuster, and all the upcoming hype machines star superheroes. Even DnD isn't looked down upon anymore, becuase most people say "bruh, you like, play GoT? Dude, can I join?"
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.