[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cthulhu module
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 752x1063
Hey all, need some help for my Cthulhu module I am going to run for my fiancé. Bare in mind this will be her first time ever playing a tabletop RPG.

What I have so far is she wakes up mysteriously on the Titanic early in the day of the tragedy. Just before waking up, She experiences a cryptic dream giving her some sort of guidance on what she has to do to complete the module. For the main plot, I was thinking somewhere along the lines that their is a cultist on board with an artifact that my fiancé has to retrieve for whatever reason..

I know this isn't much to go on, but perhaps it can feed your creative fires enough to help me out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks /tg/
>>
>>46642570
Have you ever run a mystery game before?

The dream is a pretty weak hook. It's about as engaging as "you all meet in a tavern and see a piece of paper pinned to the quest board" or "a powerful wizard teleports you all to his study and explains the quest".
>>
>>46642570
How many people will be playing?

She hasn't played an RPG, but is she familiar with the Cthulhu mythos?
>>
>>46642692

It's her first time playing. So I figure Simplicity is a good place to start.

>>46643113

Just 1 player.
She knows who Cthulhu is but that is about it. I figure she could be educated in the fluff as we go.

I am just looking for some ideas for a simple investigation on a massive ship that is a ticking time bomb..

Any ideas?
>>
File: 1445362571660.jpg (563 KB, 1258x1258) Image search: [Google]
1445362571660.jpg
563 KB, 1258x1258
>>46642570
Be intimate however you like. Your grasp of horror gaming or the Mythos seems radically flawed. Maybe explore it together?

Look up Monophobia.
Read some Lovecraft.
Learn horror gaming, Dread is a good intro.
Get a group together.

Tomboys and tentacles is really fucking far from CoC. Look at Spirit of the Century instead.

I seriously doubt that you, as glimpsed in this thread, could manage tension and expectation - at all. Also 1 on 1 roleplaying is a very special situation that can be compared to regular group play only in a few very limited dimensions.
>>
>>46645972
Try this. They're specifically designed one player/one gm games and if you don't want to change what you're running there's still some decent advice for solo games in the introduction.
>>
>>46646892
Tomboys is something CoC needs.
>>
>>46648200
There's no convention against it, but it is out of type. Considering that tomboys are a staple of Pulp, maybe look there?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 373x268) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 373x268
>>46646892

At a glimpse you limit yourself very quickly.

Building tension won't be a problem. Building tension is the details I won't have trouble with.
I am looking for ideas for an investigation to take place on a large cruise ship. That is the only road block I face.

Any ideas?
>>
>>46647113

Appreciate it!
>>
>>46649853
>Building tension is the details I won't have trouble with.
Please do come back and recap. This should be good.
>>
>>46642570
Firstly, I know the artist and the model for this picture personally.

Anyhow, as a veteran CoC GM, I would recommend not having missing memories. She got on the boat of her own accord and was an ordinary passenger up till that point.

Personally, considering crafting a plot for a single player is really easy, I would cut out having it set on the titanic and just have her investigate what's going on. She can get a glimpse of huddled passengers around a big of cargo they just pulled out the water or something, but other than that have it a normal journey.

Ease her into the mythos. Tease her with glimpses and illogical dreams. Perhaps when she lands she gets another plot hook into suspicious goings on.
>>
File: image.jpg (780 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
780 KB, 3264x2448
>>46651410

Love that picture!

Excellent feedback, thank you.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.