[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D Armour Class
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Cute-Hedgehog-With-Silly-Mask.jpg (70 KB, 599x558) Image search: [Google]
Cute-Hedgehog-With-Silly-Mask.jpg
70 KB, 599x558
ok so im fairly new to D&D im wondering how can you kill something with an AC higher then 20? is it possible? cause im finding monsters that have like 26 AC
>>
What level are those monsters? Your attack bonus increases with level.
Plus there's magic, which usually doesn't even roll to hit, it makes THEM roll to live.
>>
>>46641589
Attack bonuses, gear bonuses, shit that bypasses regular AC, etc. A nat 20 is a hit no matter what someone's AC is too.
>>
>>46641589
Your attack bonus gets added to your roll
>>
...you roll a combined total of more than your attack roll plus attack bonus?

read the fucking manual
>>
>>46641589
Which edition are you asking about? Also, what level are you interested in? In 3.5, 26 is a pain to deal with at level 1, sure. However, it's not too long before the fighter gets access to magic gear and a better base attack bonus. By level 5, the fighter should have at least a +10 to hit, and that's erring on the side of caution. More likely, you're going to have +12 to +16 to hit, making that 26AC much less intimidating.
>>
>>46641589
If for some reason, you cannot roll high enough to consistently hit a given monster, your best bet is to retreat and either try to find away around it, or killing outside of combat.

For instance, If it's sufficiently bestial and you're not in a hurry, kill some smaller beasties, fill the corpses with poison or some kind sleep causing drug, leave them lying around an wait for the bastard to get hungry. You could also use your own rations, but that might not be big enough to entice it, and also leaves you out of food. Unless you plan on eating the monster.
>>
>>46641589
You either cant read, or your lack any for of creativity, maybe both. If you could read, then you would know that you add things to your roll. However, assuming you did know this and your problem is that the combination of your roll and modifier are still inadequate I can only imagine you are the dullest person I have ever encountered. Have you ever considered doing anything other than "hit it with a basic attack" as a means of solving a problem? If you are a relatively uncreative player and you are playing a martial class try grappling, tripping, feinting, flanking, laying traps, sundering armor, pocket sand-ing, using your surrounding or ambushing your foes. If you are a relatively uncreative player and you are playing a caster just use a bunch of spell which call for different saves and see if anything sticks. If you were a moderately creative player you might imagine that your DM is using this encounter not as a hurdle, but as a wall, some impassible and/or immovable part of a larger puzzle, or as a wall to keep you from an area which is unprepared or saved for later. Alternative this is a social/roleplay encounter and you didn't realize it. Maybe the foe was intended to be talked to, reasoned with, bribed, or outwitted. If you were a very creative player then you are more creative then me and probably have other ideas.
>>
>>46642204
>>46642735

Christ, what crawled up your ass today?
>>
>>46644834
The bergers.
>>
File: 1457171957385.jpg (114 KB, 579x817) Image search: [Google]
1457171957385.jpg
114 KB, 579x817
>>46644834
im not either those guys but this really is a retarded reason to make a new thread and you should feel bad
>>
>>46644848
>there has to be a specific, well defined, documentable reason to create a thread on a weeb imageboard!

Seriously though, I do agree with you; OP made a thread when he could have asked in the /5eg/ or /pfg/ or whichever one applies more.

However, posting a hostile non-answer is helping nobody.
>>
>>46644916
>posting a hostile non-answer is helping nobody.
Good thing each answer in the thread gave specific answers, right faggot?
>>
File: 1457295008641.jpg (263 KB, 584x848) Image search: [Google]
1457295008641.jpg
263 KB, 584x848
>>46644916
ok

>>46644956
rude
>>
File: dankest fish.png (112 KB, 619x562) Image search: [Google]
dankest fish.png
112 KB, 619x562
>>46641589
pity reply
>>
>>46641589
Right, so, most things aren't supposed to be fought at level 1.

But if you are fighting something with AC 26 at level 1, well, first you're going to die. But let's say it's a werewolf lord:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm

Armor Class:26 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, +6 +2 mithral chain shirt, +5 +3 heavy shield), touch 12, flat-footed 24

The majority of his AC comes from armour, and shield. Get him when he's having a bath, and he's already got -9 AC, so 17 AC.

Get him while he's flat footed (in the bath), and that's -2 again due to no dex modifier.

Now, if you flank him, that's a +2 to hit, and if you charge into a flanking position, that's another +2. That's effectively 13AC.

So the best way to hit on a werewolf lord, clearly, at level 1, is to get to be a harem and charge him in the bath while naked.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 632x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 632x900
Remember to add your attack bonus. (STR for meele, and DEX for ranged. And your proficiency bonus IF you are proficient with the weapon). So if a monster has 26 AC you have to be a high level character. Lets say i attack with my high level bard. I gain advantage from true strike, then attack with my rapier. Roll an 18. im proficient with the weapon so +4 from my proficiency bonus. Then +4 from my DEX modofier. The attack goes through. 18+4+4=26.
>>
>>46645036
>So the best way to hit on a werewolf lord, clearly, at level 1, is to get to be a harem and charge him in the bath while naked.
>it is then the DM reveals that you were all playing MAID RPG the entire time.
>>
>>46645036
>>46645161

You forgot the DR/silver once he actually gets to act, so make sure they all have silverware.
>>
>>46644834
>>46644916
>>46644989
If you immediately jump online and start asking questions about the basic functions of a game that are EASILY answered by simply reading the fucking manual one time, hell even just browsing the fucking book, you completely deserve to be ridiculed for acting like a mouth breathing retard.
>>
>>46645224
OP wanted to hit the thing, never said anything about doing damage.

Doing damage is *extra*.
>>
>>46645491
He did say "kill," actually.
>>
>>46641589
It's a bug, don't worry about it senpai. Just houserule it.
>>
>>46645587
Oh, my bad. Suggestion to lie down and stop resisting the coup de grace.
>>
>>46642564
>implying AC matters in Save or Die Edition
>>
just jumping in to agree with previous posters - read the fucking book before you ask for us to explain the SINGLE core mechanic that the WHOLE GAME hinges on, that's explained fucking EVERYWHERE
>>
>>46645984
>read the fucking book before you ask for us to explain the SINGLE core mechanic that the WHOLE GAME hinges on, that's explained fucking EVERYWHERE
Fucking this.

It'd be different if you were asking about some unclear mechanic in need of errata or looking for some obscure rule or another, but the specific mechanic you're asking about IS THE FUCKING CORE MECHANIC OF THE GAME!

Put the fucking MM down and read the fucking PHB before you even think about looking at anything else.
>>
>>46641589
>ok so im fairly new to D&D
Stop playing it. There is still chance for you to survive before succumbing to this shit.
And armour is just plain shit in D&D. 30 fucking years and they can't fucking make functional armour mechanics. I mean... Jesus, the teams behind this franchise changed so many times and they still didn't figure out working system, while there is a metric fucking tonne of games around that handle armour without much fuss
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.