[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>serrated axe head
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: twas.jpg (83 KB, 624x395) Image search: [Google]
twas.jpg
83 KB, 624x395
>serrated axe head
>>
>chainsaw sword
>>
>dragons are plausible, but bikini armor is ridiculous
>>
>women exist
>>
>>46630127
>magic has completely reshaped reality, but swinging a sword is just swinging a sword
>>
>>46630142
>Swinging a sword is just as effective, if not more effective at killing things, as reality-warping magic.
>>
>>46630127
I don't see the problem here
>>
>>46630127
>his dragons aren't hyper-intelligent varanids with a penchant for pyromancy

>>46630160
>he doesn't want Gilgamesh and Merlin to team up and kick ass
>>
>fixing shit with prayers
>>
>>46630160
"just" swinging a sword being equal would be silly.

Now, focussing your inner energies pseudo-weeabo style to wield a blade forged in elemental fire and quenched in the tears of elves or whatever, yeah sure that's at least equal to a lightning bolt spell.
>>
>gods exist and intervene with mortal lives
>>
>>46630127
Calling it "armor" is what's ridiculous. Obviously stupid bitches can wear whatever they want and plot immunity decides that they'll never be harmed.
>>
>>46630160

>whole continent sunk because some guy swung his sword in a forbidden technique
>>
>>46630365

>plot gives me 20 str because magic this is fine
>plot gives her AC20 because magic this is the worst

u funny anon
>>
>>46630127

I think people don't quite grok how completely absurd the idea of dragons really is.
>>
>>46630500

If it's so completely absurd, why did both the Chinese and the Europeans independently come up with the concept?
>>
>>46630552
cuz dinosaur bones look like spooky dragons
>>
>>46630552

...I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>46630552
Chinese and European dragons are only the same in that they're both impossible amalgamations of scary apex predators.
>>
>>46630552
Surely this is bait
>>
>>46630620

>amalgamations of scary apex predators

>Sinologist Henri Doré lists these characteristics of an authentic dragon: "The antlers of a deer. The head of a crocodile. A demon's eyes. The neck of a snake. A tortoise's viscera. A hawk's claws. The palms of a tiger. A cow's ears. And it hears through its horns, its ears being deprived of all power of hearing."
>>
>>46630552
>snakes and lions are pretty dangerous, huh Mei?
>snakes and lions are are pretty dangerous, huh Charles?

Yeah, that is pretty weird.
>>
>>46630160
>magic exists but people can still be killed by weapons
>>
>>46630659
Also jade is dragon cum.

Chineses are weird.
>>
>magic exists, therefore internal consistency and physics do not exist
>>
>>46630500
How are they any more absurd than any other fantasy creature?
>>
>>46630912
Pretty sure the point is "they're not".

Dragons, and busty warrior-women who survive mass combat wearing bikini armor, are equally absurd. GMs who allow one but not the other are inconsistent at best.
>>
>>46630946
Only if the setting allows for all forms of absurdity equally. Which is provably not the case for the vast majority of settings.
>>
>>46630691
Jade necklaces beat pearl necklaces by miles, anon.
>>
>>46630946

Holy shit you're retarded. You can have a setting that isn't 100% realistic while still having a certain vision for it and theme going on.
Should settings with dragons also be required to allow ayylmaos? Two headed weasels?
Fuck you.
>>
>>46630946
Smaug existing didn't allow Frodo to skip into Mordor wearing nothing but a chainmail speedo and a smile.
>>
File: Itistheend.jpg (435 KB, 1288x1440) Image search: [Google]
Itistheend.jpg
435 KB, 1288x1440
>>46631020
Retreat, fellow anon! I fear the rusemaster has lured us into a monstrous trap! We are no longer in control, for alas the rusemaster holds the pole!
At last, we have been given a chance, he who is holy has given us a chance to escape. Take my hand!
>>
>>46630127
Big fantasy is easier to swallow. The jarring thing isn't when something fantastical makes no practical sense, it's when something that's supposed to make practical sense doesn't.

Compare:

A group of adventurers are travelling the world to defeat the devil lich which is trying to collapse reality to become a god.

with:

For some reason instead of shaking hands everyone licks each others ear lobes as a greeting.
>>
>>46630552

They also came up with sexy clothes independently of each other.
>>
>>46630160
A universe where sward swanging are fundamentals.
Using a certain techniques can slice planes and unleash the universes equivalent of spells
>>
>>46631515

Redguards, plz. You've already sunk your own original continent, let's not do the same with other parts of Tamriel.
>>
I don't understand why "bikini armor" is such an issue on /tg/

Aren't you guys playing pretend? Isn't all this shit in your head?

If you like bikini armor, when you envision the qt girl from your pretend story, envision bikini armor

If you don't, dont

It's not like this is a movie and everybody is watching the same images

You get to pick what every single thing looks like even if other people in the very same game choose differently
>>
>>46630431
TES canon has that. The Redguards lost their home continent when their blademaster cut an atom in half with his forbidden sword technique.
>>
>>46630160
I don't think you get the point of this thread
>>
>>46631606
That is simultaneously the faggiest and the most boss thing ever.
>>
>>46631561
My problem with bikini armour is that it just looks ridiculous... as armour. I don't mind wearing what ever the fuck in fantasy, hell, I'm a big fan of one big pauldron as all the armour someone has on cause I think it looks fucking cool, but it would annoy me if somebody tried to argue that it's actually effective armour I'd slap 'em.

Hence why I particularly hate chainmail bikinis. That's just retarded.
>>
>>46631700
Welcome to TES lore. It's a hell of a drug.
>>
>>46631722

My point is when are you ever seeing a chain mail bikini?

Not in game surely, otherwise you have nobody to blame but yourself since the game takes place in your mind
>>
>>46631747

Pretty much this. It's often depicted in sexy fantasy art, but when the fuck is anybody going to straight describe wearing a chainmail bikini in a D&D game?
>>
>>46631046
It should have.
>>
>>46631784

Also if some fagboy in your group wants to describe his female character as having exposed midriff armor etc, nothing is stopping you from overwriting his description with your own personal one (in your mind, that way there's no argument)
>>
>>46631784
I've seen Exalted characters describe their silken armor as looking like a kimono or qipao, but that's A) Exalted, where you can get unarmored soak equal to or better than full plate, B) magical armor specifically designed to be indistinguishable from clothing. No actual chainmail bikinis, though.
>>
File: yo.png (7 KB, 164x178) Image search: [Google]
yo.png
7 KB, 164x178
>>46629974
>>
>>46631802

To be honest, I literally can't remember the last time I took another member of my group's description and actually stuck with it.

I've been in campaigns for months before it finally came out that I've been envisioning the fighter with red hair and they with brown. Even then there was a laugh to be had and then we moved on.
>>
>>46631784
I did once. I was the GM. It was part of a kind of burlesque show honoring the contributions the Adventurers' Guild had made to the kingdom.
>>
>>46631858
>honoring the contributions the Adventurers' Guild had made to the kingdom.
You mean murdering nobles, monsters, and each other, looting their corpses, then lying about it and bribing bards to make up songs that make them look good?
>>
>>46631046
Orcs allowed Frodo to be naked in Mordor for a while, tho'
>>
>>46631559
I understand that reference.
>>
File: 9f1.gif (3 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
9f1.gif
3 MB, 255x191
>his campaign doesn't have a thematically appropriate dance-off
>>
>>46631784
>Pretty much this. It's often depicted in sexy fantasy art, but when the fuck is anybody going to straight describe wearing a chainmail bikini in a D&D game?

It's pretty commonplace in Barbarians of Lemuria.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.