[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paranoia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Paranoia1.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Paranoia1.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
I want to run Paranoia. What edition should I start with?
>>
>>46622455

That is above your security clearance level.
>>
5th Ed.
>>
>>46622455
The one that lets you Zzzap mutant commie scum
>>
File: TopTierComputingTechnology.jpg (417 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
TopTierComputingTechnology.jpg
417 KB, 640x800
>>46622788
Isn't that all of them though.

>>46622759
I was under the impression that 5th ed was generally considered the worst edition.
>>
>implying there's more than one edition
>implying you're cleared to read green text
>>
>>46623022
>worst editon
Don't warn them.
>>
>>46622455
Doesn't matter so long as you HAVE an edition, if gives you more of an air of authority

I have run whole sessions without actually referring to the rules, or following them for that matter
>>
>>46623072
Seriously though, should I just go with the 25th anniversary edition and just browse the others for ideas?
>>
>>46623158
>I have run whole sessions without actually referring to the rules, or following them for that matter

Me too. The players aren't supposed to know the rules anyway, so just make shit up. As long as it seems legit, you're within your rights to kill their characters if they complain or question you.
>>
>>46622455
Ah, paranoia

Op, for bonus mandatory FUN, run das bot, it's great

Also, I recommend grabbing enough red pencils and d20's for every player you have minus one. Then make up the missing ones with blue pencils and dice
>>
File: A Superlative Laugh.jpg (338 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
A Superlative Laugh.jpg
338 KB, 517x768
>>46623328
>>
>>46623328
Is that just a setup for a clearance-based joke, or am I missing something more subtle here

Inb4 "That's above your clearance level"
>>
>>46623555
Only communist scum ask questions anon.
>>
>>46623161
25th anniversary is basically the same as XP. I prefer XP though. It's more focused.
5th edition is for commie mutant traitors and using it is akin to sucking Lenin's balls with an extraneous mutant mouth you grew after bombing one of Friend Computer's server rooms.
>>
>>46623860
Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer
>>
>>46623980
Is XP the one where, in the first adventure in the book, it says that any sass from the players can be answered with 'you could always go play a video game'?
Because, uh, yeah, that's what happened when we tried to play it. So...I *guess* it was a success...
>>
>>46623043
If they have clearance to post on a blue board then they have clearance to read green text.

Your lack of familiarity with the clearance levels is leading my to question your devotion to Friend Computer.
>>
If your players are dithering about, trying to decide what to do instead of, you know, doing what Friend Computer told them to do, throw a balled up sock on the table and shout, "GRENADE!"

Anyone who doesn't physically duck or take some action like grabbing the sock and chucking it across the room wakes up all shiny and new in a clone vat.
>>
>>46622455
You should get the XP rulebook. The system doesn't really matter, but XP is possibly the best rulebook I've seen for any game. There's just pages and pages of material for a GM new to Paranoia (and new to GMing), along with hints for different game themes. Anniversary only assumes you want to play classic, and doesn't give much information for Zap or Straight. It also leaves a lot more background up to the GM (Is The Computer actually insane, or just incredibly sane with different assumptions?).

One of the big changes in XP is Memomax. Previous editions worked off clone families: instead of being decanted with 5 others, you can be recloned after termination and have your last memories re-uploaded to your brain. Especially good for metagaming and rivalries, as characters recall everything including their painful death, and the other character that put them there.

In saying all this, I prefer running Paranoia: High Programmers. Instead of REDs being involuntarily sent on hosejob missions where they must betray their fellow REDs to survive, the players are ULTRAVIOLETS tasked with solving impossible crisises where they must betray their fellow UVs to profit and survive. It's a sandbox with actual measurable goals, tons of player infighting, and it's always incredible Fun.
>>
>>46622759
There is no 5th edition, never was, never will be.
>>
>>46624035
Welcome to Paranoia.
>>
Blue board
>Green text
Orange clothes...
>>
File: mod paranoia.jpg (207 KB, 781x477) Image search: [Google]
mod paranoia.jpg
207 KB, 781x477
>>46626153
>he thinks clearance at a certain level implies total clearance of all lower levels
>>
>>46628417
Well to be fair, it does allow you to read anything of your clearance or below without difficulty, but actually getting your hands on a lot of classified documents not within your "need to know" is suspicious at best.
>>
This thread does not have clearance for page 11.
>>
>>46627040
Thanks anon.
>>
>>46634369
Oh, I forgot, XP/25th plus splats and some adventures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1zd7a723zu2qr0h/AAAZRdFFtwQbuQQF9yp4fdXla?dl=0

Also, if you want to run High Programmers I made a (rather ugly) scenario/character generator. Use away: http://45.55.87.246/hphelper/
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.