[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that this is FINALLY ending, what do you guys feel would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 123j4y1023.gif (424 KB, 1000x650) Image search: [Google]
123j4y1023.gif
424 KB, 1000x650
Now that this is FINALLY ending, what do you guys feel would be a good system for the a SBURB session? Or for a campaign playing as members of the Alternian Empire conquering planets across the void?

So far a system I felt could be a good way to run it would be Godbound, an Exalted style RPG with OSR lighter mechanics. Also has faction and GM turn mechanics, which I'm a huge fan of.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>46621366
>>>/co/
>>
>>46623145
He's asking a /tg/-related question
>>46621366
GURPS
>>
>>46621366
It's been awhile since I was reading MSPaint, so pardon if some of the advise is not too relevant.

And sort of open, make-your-power system should work. Fate and HeroQuest immediately come to mine. What I remember of Tri-Stat and Mutants & Masterminds seems like it would make sense in acquiring and using new powers. I've not played the system, but what I hear about Nobilis might make sense, with the ability to just do anything you want within your sphere of power.

Other than that, the really tricky part is moving from one "phase" of the game to the next. Assuming you want to run through the full story arc in Homestuck, you're going to start with weak mundane urban characters in the beginning then move onto generic numbered level buffs, then suddenly grant area-changing powers, then move up to just world-shifting events. I'm not sure there is a system which does that by default, which means probably a bit of homebrewing or a system where you could do or change pretty much everything and still work.

If you are looking at something different - like, say, characters already being awakened and working to stop the world from ending or whatever, then a more focused system could work just fine.
>>
>>46624224

I've heard good stuff about Fate and super hero systems. One thing I like about the system I'm considering currently is that your backgrounds/aspect bonuses/magical items/companions/etc are all tied into 3 Facts you create at chargen. 1-2 sentences to describe something that's tied into your background that you can leverage like a Fate Aspect.

Every character level in Godbound you write another fact about a great deed you've accomplished/something you've learned/a way you've changed so the narrative your character goes through determines what they are particularly skilled at.

The biggest issue with Godbound is that it starts you out at demigod level, able to fuck up giant ass monsters out from the start. Normal humans and generally non badass enemies are complete pushovers unless in huge groups.
>>
>>46624741
Sounds like a pretty good system, although the general Exalted connection is going to push the game into that demigod level of play. It's just where Exalted does its thing.

The largest concern I might have is making the whole game thematic. I mean, Homestuck had a fairly specific theme going on with it, and just a generic Strength, Endurance, Wits stats might not make it feel the same. I'm not sure how hackable the system is, but if someone sat me down to a game of SBURB, then I'd assume that Cakewise or whatever were potential skills.

I suppose you could artificially lower the power level, at least at first. Although then again, it didn't exactly take the characters very long in the comic to start fucking up absolutely everything nearby, and they didn't exactly have very high stats to begin with. You could, I suppose, give everyone limited access to their stat/skill levels at first (something like "pick stats you want but you only get two ranks in the beginning") and as they level up, they get access to more of their skill ranks. If that makes sense.
>>
File: msop50.png (241 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
msop50.png
241 KB, 640x960
>>46625006
I agree that flavor is going to be of primary importance, conveying the tongue in cheek silliness and random bullshit with a retro video game vibe by flavoring all the stats from the 6 traditional D&D stats into proper stuff like Mangrit, Cakewise, etc.

The system's base setting is a Kitchen Sink world where there is a psudeo 21st century USA a few hundred miles off from undead witched queen ruled pseudo vikings, and it all makes sense because all of reality across the multiverse is falling apart after ancient humanity shattered Heaven.

There are mechanics to accommodate traveling to worlds through dimensional wormhole hellpaths, which is good to represent getting through gates/going to lands/hopping into different sessions.

I think you're on to something with limiting the stats. I'll look more at the rules to see how modular they'd be for that kind of adjustment.
>>
>>46621366
General themes? FATE or somesuch rules-lite stuff.

Accurate representation of the mechanics, as presented in the series? Try making a conversion for FATAL, it'd be about as playable or fun.
>>
>>46625500
Looking over the dominion and influence systems in Godbound, they allow characters to enact miraculous change, build crazy shit, make crazy artifacts, and basically do whatever, but it all costs a certain level of Dominion Points, which is determined by the GM by following guidelines...and that can be earned by awesome tasks/deeds/as physical treasure in magical crystals. and it can be reflavoured as grist. I think think This game may work.
>>
File: image.jpg (319 KB, 990x1155) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319 KB, 990x1155
>>46624224
>>46625006
>>46625500

There's a system to have a "Words of Creation" bond to you which determine your sphere of divinity it actually has has some decent parallels to the aspects.

And I found the additional rules for mortal character creation with multiples tiers of power with a half page dedicated to talking about how to handle an arc of ascension.

Thanks /tg/!
>>
File: 1458000842197.jpg (175 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1458000842197.jpg
175 KB, 1366x768
>>46621366
Here's the most complete adaptation anyone's produced so far.

http://orngjce223.net/chuubo/A%20User's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apocalypse%20unfinished.pdf

It uses Chuubo's
>>
>>46625500
>Accurate representation of the mechanics, as presented in the series? Try making a conversion for FATAL, it'd be about as playable or fun.

This. The actual mechanics of SBURB that are presented in Homestuck are deliberately obtuse, annoying and meaninglessly complex. That's the joke. I've seen people try to replicate them and it never ends well. Just try a rules light narrative system.
>>
>>46621366
No, no, DONT.

LET IT REST.

And the only answer is Homebrew obviously.

Once the forums come back up I'm pretty sure there's shit for tabletop SBURB.
>>
>>46627572
>once the forums come back up
Anon...
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.