[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Wizard >casting stat is Intelligence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11
>Wizard
>casting stat is Intelligence
>>
>>46618924
Intellimancer doesn't sound as good.
>>
>>46619336

Neither does wizardigence.
>>
How else do you expect to power your wiz jizz?
>>
>>46618924
I like the idea of willpower and wisdom being used for casting but wizards in many stories are also often meant to be banks of knowledge as well as good advice
>>
>>46619368
Well, it's just wizards ought to be wise like a drunkard is drunk. Therefore they should be powered by wisdom.
>>
>>46618924
Magic is an academic science, you cretin.
>>
>>46618924
I think Clerics casting stat should be Charisma, how well they can suck up to their god
>>
>>46618924
dexterity should be the primary stat for wizards = their ability to perform complex arcane gestures
constitution should be the primary stat for sorcerers = their ability to withstand the power unleashed through their body when they cast
strength should be the primary stat for clerics = their ability to impress their deities with shows of athletic excellence

intelligence should be the primary stat for rogues = their cunning and guile in combat and skill
wisdom should be the primary stat for fighters = their fighting intuition and battle awareness allowing for precise and deadly strikes
charisma should be the primary stat for barbarians = the force of personality inherent in their rage
>>
>>46619911
now this is how we balance casters.
multiple attribute dependency.

or do what 3.0 psionics did and tie each school to a specific ability so you can't be great at everything
>>
>>46619527
But wizards have no sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>46619527
No, wizards are wiz, and the only people who actually use "wiz" as an adjective are nerds.
Therefore, INT.
>>
>>46620007
It's just a corruption of wise + ard though. Wizard is as wisdomy as a class name can get.
>>
>>46619945
Perhaps, wizards have become so wise they've moved past such simple concepts like right and wrong.
>>
File: 1455399284326.jpg (201 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1455399284326.jpg
201 KB, 645x773
>>46618924
>his wizard doesn't use STR as the casting stat
>>
>>46620195
Lost Tradition is the greatest feat ever concieved.
>>
>>46619943
In the game we play each school of magic is its own skill that are gained through character classes and feats. A casting class starts with only one by default.
>>
>>46619911
Your double dubs give your idea credence.
>>
>>46618924
>Wizard
>casting stat is Intelligence
yes. is there a problem? we got other names for those who cast differently

>>46619945
>But wizards have no sense of right and wrong.
Its wizard not wisard. Wizards have lots of int but low wis
the low cha and subsequent lack of socialization doesn't help
>>
>>46620322
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wizard
>>
>>46619911
i like it
>>
>>46619694
Or how well they can suck off their God.
>>
File: Wizard.jpg (43 KB, 486x693) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.jpg
43 KB, 486x693
>>46618924
>Wizard
>casting stat isn't Age
>>
File: tcc.png (497 KB, 844x596) Image search: [Google]
tcc.png
497 KB, 844x596
>>46618924
Man, ever time I see boogie I cringe so hard. he plays mtg at a store near me.

Well, "plays," I guess. Just sits in a boogie-designated double wide chair in the corner while a gaggle of scrawny nerds hover around him at suck ass. Then FNM starts and his attention dies so he leaves.

Dude can't play magic for shit.
>>
>>46619943
>now this is how we balance casters.
>multiple attribute dependency.
You mean like Fantasy Craft did?
>>
>>46622430
I should check that out. I've heard good things about it. How do Monks hold up in that game? They're a very MAD class and it'd be interesting to know how they do when everyone is MAD.
>>
>>46622570
The Monk equivalent is fucking awesome.
>>
>>46619527
>wizard
>wisdom + retard

it's right in the name they have no wisdom to speak of
>>
>>46622415
I honestly don't understand how people can be that obese. When you're that big the effort it takes to lose weight is almost none, you have to eat like 4.5k calories a day to maintain that. That's like 8 big macs. When I was 220 at my worst I just started a mild diet and was down 40 pounds in just a few months without much effort at all, just watching intake, the pounds flew away like scared pigeons because I was so damn fat I needed a crazy amount of calories to maintain it, so as soon as a I started eating a normal amount my weight dropped from fat fuck to chubby cunt like the stones I actually dropped.
>>
>>46619911
I want to argue with this because it defies convention but I can't. I have to accept it now. I can never un-know this.
>>
>>46622702
HE HAS A PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDER

ITS JUST HARDER FOR HIM SHEESH BACK OFF HES BEEN TRYING TO LOSE 5LBS FOR FOUR YEARS BUT IT JUST WONT FALL OFF
>>
File: 5361520.jpg (106 KB, 724x844) Image search: [Google]
5361520.jpg
106 KB, 724x844
>Bard
>Casting stat is number of friends they have
>>
>>46622430
naw, i'd rather avoid a clusterfuck.
>>
>>46619943
3.5 psionics did specialization better by locking the best powers to mutually exclusive lists.
But yeah, MAD is the way to go. 4E's approach of "every class ideally uses two stats for their powers, no more, no less, with defense patches for STR/CON, DEX/INT and WIS/CHA builds" was nearly perfect.
>>
File: giphy.gif (595 KB, 460x600) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
595 KB, 460x600
>>46619694
Feeling euphoric, anon?
>>
>>46623531
What's euphoric about his statement?
>>
>>46622753
Bards are no gods.
>>
>>46623758
It just makes sense that he associates religion with charisma considering he most likely possesses neither.
>>
>>46623531
i feel so bad for jerry messing
>>
>>46622748
I genuinely don't understand why he can't just only have a day's worth of food in his house at a time
>>
>>46623902
Wow. Just . . . . fucking wow man. Because charismatic religious leaders aren't like a thing that has been consistent throughout history.

I mean, he phrased it rather bluntly but I can't argue that most religions do involve the followers "sucking up" to their gods. It's a valid way to view praise and worship.

But if you're implying charismatic oratory isn't a huge part of religious movements (yes, even you bhuddism you don't get a new age makeover and be able to pretend it hasn't been important in your past) or that cults of personality haven't defined religious movements, then you're a complete and total ignoramus.
>>
>>46619658
On what setting?

I feel like this one question could defuse most arguments in /tg/
>>
>>46624021
My arguments are about what shape of plastic is the bad shape of plastic to put fantasy miniatures on and why the people who put them on round bases deserve to be strung up from the three tops.
>>
Intelligence should be used for the spellcasting check, Charisma for the save DC, and Wisdom for spells known.
>>
>>46624003

It's bait bro.
>>
>>46624003
1) Being charismatic is not the primary function of a religious leader. You are thinking of a politician.
2) Sucking up is what you do for attention or to get rewarded. If anyone approaches their religion this way (regardless of whatever religion) then they are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
3) I was not implying anything about religion as a whole regarding charismatic oratory. It was just a joke son. Calm your tits.
>>
>>46624141
>religious leader. You are thinking of a politician.

>implying they aren't the same thing
>>
>>46622748
>psychological disorder

I thought he was just an ironic shitposter in (You)tube form
>>
Intelligence and Wisdom used just for casting is a dumb idea.
>Intelligence is a person's capacity for learning, and wisdom is the capacity for applying that knowledge in practicality.
Therefore, these two attributes should not be confined as lower end stats, but rather be treated as more influential modifiers.
Put simply, your Intelligence decides how many skills you can learn, and wisdom is simply the level of those skills; so a high wisdom with swords would increase your ability to hit with them and possibly perform more advanced feint and strokes. You would still have to be strong enough to wield it properly, and have some way of detecting your target is there to hit.
So effectiveness would fall down to the degree of hindrance the sword's weight has, your ability to detect and reach your target, and your knowhow of swordsmanship.
Another benefit of this would be applying your wisdom with swords to the defense against swords, thus increasing your ability to dodge, parry, disarm, whathaveyou. This would have lesser gains than your own offense, but would help.
Finally, having an understanding of swords can help you repair and craft swords, provided you have the ability to perform smithing tasks.
Yes, it doesn't take a genius to swing a weapon, but being smart and mindful of tactics and maneuvers helps.
>>
>>46622570
Monks are pretty rad.

One of the mechanics of the game as a whole is 'campaign attributes', which are mutators the GM picks that can be on either all the time or on a scene-by-scene basis. One of them gives everybody Crouching Tiger-style wire-fu. It's the best.
>>
>>46625471
I hate to be a killjoy but if you're going more realistic here a sword's weight isn't that important. It shouldn't be more than 2kg unless it's a greatsword.
>>
>>46625577
True. I wanted to avoid the stereotype that certain weapons have higher swing speeds. I mean sure, you can thrust a dagger quicker than a larger weapon's swing, but then it falls down to proximity.
Of course, with magic in-setting, one could just get a rare/expensive enchantment that allows the wielder to swing or stab faster, without reducing impact to the target.
>>
>>46623880
No but a bard could convince you that he was.
>>
>>46619911
Gud stuf
>>
>>46625471
The way you described it makes it sound like WIS would become a stat that literally everyone has to take to be good at their jobs.
>>
I think the trouble is that we have a system where wisdom and intelligence aren't the same stat.

I'd eliminate wisdom altogether, and make will saves based on charisma.
>>
>>46618924
does mountain dew really glow in the dark?

how can you drink that
>>
>>46621426
That's more of a Warlock thing.
>>
Every classes primary stat should be charisma, y' just gotta believe.

>>46627514
There's also this though.

DnD is a bit weird in the sense that your sensory capability is determined by your... wisdom.

Because presumably they didn't want senses connected to intelligence, or how dexterous you are.

And they wanted to make a distinction between knowledge and wisdom.

Honestly DnD's stats are pretty fucking stupid.

I prefer to just imagine wisdom as two stats, perception and wisdom.

However some people who have characters with high wisdom because they are good at listening and spotting and other such things are also somehow magically wise.

In one of my parties someone said "I have the wisest character in the part by far." When his character is actually a fucking moron, and he plays him like a moron. His character is just very perceptive.

Shit like that, I dunno what were we talking about?
>>
File: miracle.jpg (34 KB, 526x394) Image search: [Google]
miracle.jpg
34 KB, 526x394
>>46623902
>he associates religion with charisma

Yeah what an idiot
>>
>>46627639
Quinin glows in the dark. It's not toxic
>>
>>46619911
>int rogues
have my babies
>>
>>46620306
Triple dubs, actually
>>
Depends on setting, but wizard typically studies magic as science and it makes perfect sense that intelligence is involved. Casters with innate or divine sources have other names like sorcerer or cleric.

Willpower should be also involved in wizardry though if wizard's magic is based on manipulating reality with his mind.
>>
>>46619911
the only thing I can't accept is wisdom for fighters. I don't know about you, but for me:
Intelligence is the ability to understand and expand (For example, building an A-bomb requires intelligence).
Wisom is the ability to comprehend. In a way, it's pure logic, but not everyone has the same level of logic (most people knows that hitting an A-bomb with an hammer is not the best way to get rid of it, but some will do anyway, blinded by anger or watnot).
For example, if magic is a science, then it's stat should be Int, as it requires intelligence to remember the spells and signs . Wisdom is more of a anti-meta shield, at least in my opinion.
For example, Rincewind in discworld is a shitty mage with low Int (since he can't cast for shit),but with a Hign Wis that translates into his high survival instinct.
>>
>>46629888
But Rincewind has one of the most powerful spells in existance held safely within his mind, surely that would mean he was extremely high int.
and I would say he was low Wisdom because he was stupid enough to get the spell stuck in his head in th first place.
Also he has high linguistics skill and is generally good at the academic stuff, so again, high int.
>>
>>46620007
>implying nerds are smart
>implying they don't just claim that to cover their social ineptness
If wizardhood is really related to nerdiness, your magic should be inversely proportional to your Charisma stat.
>>
>>46630728
>But Rincewind has one of the most powerful spells in existance held safely within his mind, surely that would mean he was extremely high int
Yes, you could've thought that from the first books. But what heppened when he got rid of the spell ? He still couldn't cast for shit, so, low int
>>
>>46619911
I think you mean
>Wis rogues (tricks of the trade, experience)
>Int fihters
>>
>>46624195
I'm pretty sure there is a Mikhail Bakunin quote about that.
>>
>>46631182
>He still couldn't cast for shit, so, low int
None of the wizards would cast for shit. Could? MAybe. But not would.
They very occasionally cast spells for Vetinari. Otherwise the Sourcerers ever did anything.
The Wizards of UU just faffed about being tenured staff members.
Ponder Stibbons actually did stuff, but he certainly wasn't doing magic.
>>
>>46630768
Insecure faggot detected.
Have you ever been to MIT or other Uni's like it? They are all fucking nerds there, including lecturers.
>>
>>46625471
All that tells me is that DnD's mental stats are completely fucked, with the exception of CHA and even that has retarded uses.

INT and WIS should basically be the same stat since they're basically the same thing. In fact you could move everything in WIS over to INT, lose WIS entirely and just allow point buys to add more proficiencies since your proficiency bonus is literally your bonus for applying stuff you know practically.
>>
>>46631182
The whole point of being a Discworld wizard is not casting spells for shit. Magic is almost irrelevant to what the most successful Discworld wizards do.
>>
File: 1459640900445.png (158 KB, 504x558) Image search: [Google]
1459640900445.png
158 KB, 504x558
>>46627514
>>46628296
There should be four mental stats.

Knowledge/Intelligence/IQ - represents general knowledge, how to do things (skills and magical knowledge)

Insight/Intuition - Perception, wisdom, common sense. Also sensing motives and lies.

Charisma/Comeliness - Force of personality. Represents leadership ability, people/social skills, attractiveness.

Willpower - Represents force of will--resistance to adverse mental effects (madness, mind control, etc.) and also represents courage/morale. Can also represent faith/belief in a power-granting being given the setting.

>Force of Knowledge
>Force of Intuition
>Force of Personality
>Force of Will
>>
>>46624141
>Sucking up is what you do for attention or to get rewarded. If anyone approaches their religion this way (regardless of whatever religion) then they are doing it for all the wrong reasons

But this is exactly why people have followed religion for thousands of years.
>>
>>46632429
>with this there will be seven stats, assuming Str Con and Dex'
>my ocd with 7 is satisfied
>>
File: 1459443501974.jpg (66 KB, 490x600) Image search: [Google]
1459443501974.jpg
66 KB, 490x600
>>46633368
We can split Dex further.
Agility – Represents a character’s ability to run, jump, climb, dodge, and perform acrobatic feats. Also factors into usage of some types of armor and martial arts.

Dexterity – Represents a character’s finesse and skill with their hands. Factors into weapon usage, martial arts, and precise crafts like lockpicking, escape artistry, or trap-disabling.
>>
>>46624141
>>46623902

'Charisma' actually, literally, means divine favour anon. Its modern sense of having a commanding personality derives from that.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.