[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does tg think of this series? Too edgy? Kinda grimderp fun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: pot.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pot.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
What does tg think of this series? Too edgy? Kinda grimderp fun? Miserable shitfest?
>>
>>46616948
Not a fan of rapists, much less having them as protagonists. The series is about as edgy as 4chan. In other words: it's a 14 year old boy's wet dream.
>>
>>46616948
Never heard of it before. Artwork is nice enough, though certainly does seem to suggest 2edgy4u setting and characters.

I'm interested to see what it is actually like if someone has actually read it.
>>
>>46616985
Series revolves around a denounced prince who's gone full edgelord, leading a pack of raping, murdering bandits around for shits, and inevitably trying to take over the world

I like it because it's actually post apocalyptic scifi thats grown into a fantasy world and magic comes from freak mutations and science fucking with reality
>>
All I know is I somehow manage to buy the second book in the trilogy when I was sure it was the first one.
>>
>>46616948
I love books, and I generally hesitate to condemn any fantasy series just because it isn't my cup of tea.

This was a putrid pile of shit. Edginess for the sake of edginess. I don't mean this as in a villanous protagonist who does what he has to to achieve his goals, I mean as >>46616984
said a child's evil fantasy.

On top of that, every plot 'twist' or unexpected event or Deus Ex Machina generally has absolutely NO prior warning, it's only justified the following Chapter like an awful "And Here's How I Did It!" recipe book.

An awful book, a piss-poor writer, and a stain upon the fantasy genre. 0/10 would throw on a bonfire.
>>
>>46616948
All of the above
>>
i would rather have spent my time reading eragon
>>
>>46616948
i'm reading the first book right now and at best it's 'meh'. i can't suspend my belief to allow a 13-14 year old boy to be leading a band of lunatic marauders across the country. i like the subtle post-apocalyptic nods, but it just seems like failed edge. Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch ect do darker fantasy better.
>>
File: OofCatTats.jpg (302 KB, 867x1000) Image search: [Google]
OofCatTats.jpg
302 KB, 867x1000
>>46619793
Damn, even the Devil felt that burn.
>>
>>46616948

Personally I enjoyed it, didn't guess the setting-twist until the second book, and I REALLY enjoyed the magic system of those 'sworn' to their power.

But, the protagonist was fucking awful. I really feel the second series he's doing in the same setting (Red Queen's War) is better in just about every way.

Jorg is just too damn edgy for his own good. He tries to fit into that 'clever' archetype that Locke Lamora defined but Lawrence can't stop going out of his way to remind us that Jorg is an unlikeable cunt.
>>
>>46617040
>leading a pack of raping, murdering bandits around for shits
So, just like A Clockwork Orange, then?
>>
Read through all three books, all of them really suffer from pacing issues, and sometimes the resolution felt like deus ex machina. However the post apocalyptic setting was kinda cool.
>>
>>46616948
I liked the first book because it was a nice change of pace to have a completely irredeemable protagonist.

Then they tried to redeem him.

Series crashed in book 2. Then it caught on fire in book 3.

Enjoyable but not great. I'm a big mark for the Dying Earth though, so that probably colours my perception.
>>
>>46616948
It bored me intensely.
>>
>>46616984
>a 14 year old boy's wet dream

Well that's being sexist, women are becoming just as degenerate.
>>
I liked it, actually. A lot. It was an interesting take on the whole post-apoc thing, and the idea of magic and the apocalypse inevitably resulting there from was even better.
>>
>>46617040
>this fantasy world is the result of world-ending science

Is as fucking stupid as

>this fantasy world is either an rpg or the laws of reality are grounded in rpg rules

And quickly becoming the wall that shit is flung at in hopes of getting something printed.
>>
>>46617040
>>46620309
Sort of.

He was mostly doing that because his father's court sorcerer was a bigger cunt than he was and made him do it. He sort of kept it up once freed, but went off on his own after a while. It was mostly out of habit.
>>
>>46619793
Galbatorix please leave.
>>
>>46619958
>Subtle.
Haven't got the bit where they sing Miss American Pie yet?
>>
>>46616948
It's best if you just turn off your brain and enjoy the teenage edginess of Jorg. If you ignore the magic the setting is pretty great. The ending was way too rushed and unsatisfying.
>>
Sooo, Prince of Thorns or The Sword of Truth, what's worse?
>>
http://pastebin.com/jNy21Gs5

This review sums it up
>>
>>46628453
I'd say Red Knight or Afterworld might be worse.

Just go read something like Clavell's Shogun or Johnathan Strange or Mr. Norrel.
>>
>>46628453
Not even a comparison. Sword of Truth sold well for a reason, it's fantasy for Objectivists. Prince of Thorns is fantasy for edgy teenagers.

I read a thrift-shop fantasy novel called Sword Edged Blonde that was better than this.
>>
File: sword-edged blonde.jpg (133 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
sword-edged blonde.jpg
133 KB, 309x475
>>46628668
Wow, I thought you were facetious with the Sword Edged Blonde, but it's real. I want to read it now.
>>
>>46616948

>>46617476
I'd like to just counter this anon a bit, although it's a while since I read it. I thought the series was okay overall but I didn't have high hopes going in.

It was particularly edgy, especially the protagonist and what happens to him He's shown to have been raped by le ebil catholic priest and murders them horribly in revenge but the story had some cool elements. Namely the Sci-Fi stuff and how it appears magic. a good example is they attack a fort built upon a military bunker, destroying it by detonating nuclear warheads inside thinking it's magic

There were no unexplained twists however and many of them were obvious. The style is a bit convoluted with flashbacks/forwards in the second book I think.

The arch-nemesis is easily guessed as I said before, not too many deep twists. Also not a massive fan of the edginess, as said >>46619958 the kid seems too young and it's often just for the sake of edginess rather than anything else. But it's still an alright piece of fiction the author turned out pretty quickly iirc. 5/10?

I might be massively wrong though, that's like my opinion, man
>>
>>46620217

>Locke Lamora

Mah nigga of excellent taste
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.