[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /tg/ is Jurgen the real hero?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
Tell me /tg/ is Jurgen the real hero?
>>
File: the smallest detail.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
the smallest detail.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46616014
He is 50% of the real hero.
>>
>>46616014
dont expect me to remember names from black library novels please.

i remember the basic plots a little, nothing more.
>>
He's an ugly, smelly, dim-witted port addict, but he's a loyal hanger-on and effective user of a melta for a commissar who just wants to retire and live in peace.

He's a hero, just not protagonist material.
>>
>>46616114
Don't forget he's an expert marksman capable of hitting centimeter large targets from more than a kilometer away with a standard lasgun.
>>
>>46616186
Which is the kind of accuracy unnessesarry for a melta.

Yes i left in the extra n's s's and r's just for you. Remove as appropriate.
>>
>>46616245
But you shorted him on the c. That's just immoral.
>>
>>46616330
I keep all the c's for myself.
>>
He's a blank too.
And since mutants can't be heroes...

On a sidenote, I remember a short piece of writefaggotryon /tg/ where a culexus became the man that would later be known as gunner Jurgen, because the Emprah's Tarot revealed that Ciaphas Cain would become a hero of the Imperium if provided the correct guidance and support.
Kind of an ungrateful job.
>>
how many times has jurgen saved cain's life compared to the other way around?
>>
>>46616571
Jurgen saves Cain's life all the time through being a blank and capable soldier.
Cain saves Jurgen's life all the time through sheer luck and using his brains to figure shit out.
>>
>>46616603
i guess, i was more thinking of times when someone was directly about to shoot the commissar but jurgen got there first.
>>
>>46616014
He's A hero, but not THE hero.

though I'm not sure if it counts when you're legitimately too dim to realise how dangerous shit is 99% of the time, and have a blithe confidence that your commanding officer will bum a favour off the Emperor for the remaining 1.
>>
>>46616093
>The man stepped back hastily, as people so often did when faced with clear evidence of Jurgen’s borrowed authority from close at hand.

Lol
>>
>>46616654
The time Cain dueled a Khornate Berserker, Cain managed to hold his own for a few minutes against the pure relentlessness of the Berserker, but Jurgen melta'd the Berserker right before Cain was about to collapse from exhaustion. The story of Cain beating the Berserker eventually morphed into Cain beating it in one-on-one combat flawlessly, but the reality was that Cain was going to die (after putting up a valiant effort that few others could, it should be said) had Jurgen not been there to pull his ass out of the fire.
>>
>>46616093

I liked "A mug of Recaff" better, especially that line

>The guardsman’s finger tightened on the lasgun’s trigger, but before he could squeeze it the air between them ripped, sounding, he thought, like the galaxy’s biggest fart. Smelled like it too. Something consisting mainly of eyes, mouths and teeth stepped through the rent in reality and lashed out at him with half a dozen whip-like tentacles.

>‘Finish the scum,’ the sorcerer said, disdain dripping from his words like protomatter from the flesh of the newly-incarnate warp-thing.

>‘Works for me,’ Jurgen said, holding down the trigger of his lasgun. The daemonspawn reeled back, keening its distress, as the hail of las-bolts chewed its midsection to pieces. It was far from the first such thing Jurgen had encountered in his years of fighting at the commissar’s side, and in his experience they were never as tough as they were made out to be.

>Apparently that was something the Emperor had gifted him with; Inquisitor Vail had tried to explain it a couple of times, but she used a lot of long words that made his head hurt, and he didn’t really care anyway. The fact that it worked was enough for him.

>>46616913

Don't forget he's also too dumb to realize the significance of him being a blank, or how rare it is.
>>
>>46617025
Jurgen's smarter than he lets on
>>
>>46616913
>>46617025
On the other hand, he's smart enough to handle all the shit Cain should manage (as an officer or commissar), keep him free of any responsibilities Cain should have, manages to keep everyone away from Cain, and Cain hardly even notices, not to mention other people thinking it's just Cain doing everything.
>>
>>46617089
In a practical-manner, not a clever or abstract thought one.
>>
>>46617025
>>46617173
More like he just doesn't care.
>>
File: consider.jpg (44 KB, 719x720) Image search: [Google]
consider.jpg
44 KB, 719x720
>>46616014
Better question. Is Jurgen actually filthy or is the filth an illusion created in the minds of those who are looking at him. He is a blank after all and human brains are naturally repulsed by blanks, so it would make sense that their brains would project an image of dirt and decay onto him to try and reconcile their irrational hatred with reality.
>>
>>46617089
he's smart in the way that his wisdome is not bogged down by details

in short
Low Int
High Wis
>>
>>46617363
bit of both, Jurgen is asocial anyway and probably doesn't care to wash himself, but the stench is now doubt mentally enhanced by his aura of wrongness, poor souless bastard
>>
>>46617363
It's probably that he realised he would be shunned no matter what he did, so he just stopped caring.
>>
Jurgen's Meltagun,Imperial Saint
>>
>>46617363
>>46617401
His smell isnt noticeable by cain in extreme cold so I am going to say he just smells bad.
>>
>>46617363
I always wondered this. His 'halitosis' was something I thoughtake people imagined, it seems strange that a soldier of the Imperium would be so lax in his personal hygiene. I can see if he is unkempt and has a complete disregard for grooming stabdards, but having a skin disease would make a soldier unfit for duty right?
>>
>>46617363
IIRC in one of the books Amberley Vail hints that he propably stopped bathing so the people woudn't get suspicious about the revulsion that he inspires.
>>
>>46617437
worth noting that to an extent Cain is used to Jurgen's presence
>>
>>46617463
Even in stank he serves.
>>
>>46617412
>Average 40k player
>>
>>46617496
Yeah but that one time he didnt notice jurgen walk up to him by smell he practically nearly shat himself.
>>
File: 1387414414900.jpg (37 KB, 333x347) Image search: [Google]
1387414414900.jpg
37 KB, 333x347
>>46617510
only now do I see the poetry at work.
>>
>>46617463
Jurgen probably has a shitload of allowed exceptions. It's confirmed in the books he shouldn't have a beard either.
>>
>>46617436

Given how many demons, CSM and heretics it has killed, it's probably a legit holy relic by now.
>>
>>46616093
I love how Jurgen is an amazingly competent soldier yet still treats the concept of people disguising themselves as militia as some sort of breakthrough.
>>
Why did Jurgen stay as a gunner despite his years of brave service?
>>
>>46618386
He's got a nice rank by now, but all the medals and stuff are hidden below beard and coat. Nobody knows except Cain.
>>
>>46618386
He's got sod all leadership qualities and nobody really likes him unless they bother looking beneath his exterior, which nobody but people who know him via Cain ever do.
>>
The Greater Good was SO bad.

Cain should have been the tau ambassador instead of standard template tyranid infestation mark xxvi
>>
>>46618420
He never gets any medals
>>
>>46618386

Probably because Cain engineers things to keep him close.

>>46618493

Preaching to the choir there. I mean, I like the Cain stuff, but Mitchell really will write the same damn book over and over again if you let him.

They should be more like the first one on Gravalax (can't remember the name), where Cain, and everyone else was noticeably less competent than in all of his other incarnations; it makes his cowardice and low self-appraisal much more believable.
>>
>>46618549
I cant help but wonder what would happen if Cain was allowed to meet another major character like Shadow Sun, Farsight, Tazyn or even Budlfag
>>
>>46616014
Anyone have pdfs of the books, or an omnibus?

Been wanting to read them, but I have no cash.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buEuaN-wKW0
>>
File: 1453643672503.jpg (21 KB, 184x208) Image search: [Google]
1453643672503.jpg
21 KB, 184x208
>>46617463
He is a Valhallan so even if the whole blank stink thing is bs
it really wouldn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>46618758
The Pirate Bay is your friend.
>>
>>46618758
Have you considered your local library?
>>
>>46616014
The concept and plots are great but the stories are shittily written
>>
>>46619276
>warhammer
>local library

i know i donated about a dozen books when i replaced the single paperbacks with omnibus versions: ultramarines, space wolf, eisenhorn & ravenor, gaunt's ghosts. and also soul drinkers which i really just didn't want.

whenever i drop by and poke around the scifi section they aren't there. they do have some ultramarines hardbacks and mcneill's admech trilogy, but not the paperbacks I know I donated. (yes i know paperbacks and hardbacks are often separated).
>>
>>46619377
Check the catalogue to see if they were actually accepted, and not binned? Your city's library system has an online catalogue, right? I'm not just ignorantly assuming that what applies to mine applies to all of them?
>>
If you think of Jurgen as a weapon who isn't smart enough to know how to use himself, then Cain's the actual hero. Would Jurgen be facing those demons and whatever else if not led there by Cain? Probably not.
>>
>>46616103
I was thinking the same thing. I read the Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium omnibus just two and a half years ago and I barely remember it.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.