[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time you played a superhero game? What system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 29
File: 1460244759084.jpg (260 KB, 750x1204) Image search: [Google]
1460244759084.jpg
260 KB, 750x1204
When was the last time you played a superhero game?

What system? What powers did you have?
>>
File: 1460244821694.jpg (179 KB, 632x948) Image search: [Google]
1460244821694.jpg
179 KB, 632x948
Also, have some Soviet superheroes.
>>
File: 1460244955914.jpg (51 KB, 443x558) Image search: [Google]
1460244955914.jpg
51 KB, 443x558
>>
Last semester recent. Played basically female Bane.
>>
>>46613356
Comic or movie Bane?
>>
>>46612993
>le soviet meme

We get it you're different. So unique. Nazis are so yesterday.
>>
>>46613602
I mean, Captain America exists. Not unreasonable to have the Red Star or whatever you want to call him.
>>
>>46613559
Comic Bane more like, and from Serbia rather than South America, and a war criminal rather than a mercenary luchador.
>>
>>46612993
5 years ago
M&M 2e
Sonic blast, emotion control, flight, Super-hearing (Daredevil like) rest was peak human rolled on a random generator system, I called my character Batman, WB and DC wanted to sue me, and extra officially kill me, in the game. Eventually had to change my name to Hell scream, Hell's cream in the tabloids everytime I fucked up.
>>
File: 1208840026953.jpg (54 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1208840026953.jpg
54 KB, 500x400
A few years ago, I played Mutants & Masterminds 3e with my college friends. The setting was 1930s weird history, and my character was a knockoff of Ness from Earthbound: a young boy with a love for baseball and elemental psychokinesis.
>>
>>46612993
last saturday. we played 4e
>>
Freeform, low-power.

>Ric
[Hero]
Influence with auditory limitations (like Kilgrave) but it's more effective the more people already like him, so if he breaks it for a second while they know about it, he's usually fucked. He's a personal trainer.

>Newt
[Hero]
Perfect motion/reflexes. Think being able to move and see the world in a frame-by-frame manner, but he doesn't posses exceptional intelligence or anything.

>Penny Inkwell
[Neutral]
Child character, What she colors in comes to life. Usually it's just her doodles. The more definite the image, the longer it exists. She inadvertently does stuff for the bad guys because they found out about her power and mail her custom coloring books.
>>
>>46615305
>Hellscream
Edgus maximus
>>
>>46612993
I played a super-powered CIA operative called Agent Anole in M&M 3e years ago. I loved him. He was essentially James Bond with a lizard head.
>>
>>46615391
Anon. It's not fair. You have to share how it went.
>>
>>46612993
Came to an end about a month ago. In the closing scene we're evacuating an Earth where everyone, aside from some supers, are dead. We killed them though we didn't mean to.

We were using BESM. My character had life powers, which meant healing and changing and creating life-forms. Repopulating the Earth would have been possible, but with all the unpredictable supers around, it was deemed better to make a new start on some other planet far away instead.
>>
>>46612993
About two years ago, Mutants and Masterminds 3e.
My character was essentially a can of refried beans with gravity manipulation that thought it was a robot.
>>
File: obama tears.png (198 KB, 517x382) Image search: [Google]
obama tears.png
198 KB, 517x382
>>46618026
>>My character was essentially a can of refried beans with gravity manipulation that thought it was a robot.
God Bless M&M
>>
File: Gilbert the Calcunaut.jpg (176 KB, 408x1580) Image search: [Google]
Gilbert the Calcunaut.jpg
176 KB, 408x1580
I never played a long-running superheroes game. Jumped into a M&M game with some friends, but never was able to stick around for any more sessions. Then I ran a super sentai game in Fate that ran for 2 sessions with the regular group before scheduling hell happened with the group over a couple of months, at which point motivation for running the game died off.

So now I got my hands on a copy of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, and the system intrigues me. However, the group wants to make custom heroes (the sadistic bunch of bastards). I found a couple possible chargen options other than the 'tack on what you think your character uses' approach (dammit, I want SOME balance), and may stick with a Smallville approach, building side characters, antagonists, themes, and macguffins which influence the power sets, distinctions, milestones, etc. It seems complex, but the group enjoyed Fate's story/chargen process, so it may work.

Thoughts/experiences on using MHRP?
>>
>>46612993
Not since October I think.
Mutants and Masterminds.
I RP'ed my Character a the Father of another PC, my old friend Jay, but it was more of a two stupid brother thing since my character was quite old.
The gig with my character was that he controlled Cockroaches. To other people, it would looked like his Cockroaches ate him right up and then moved amass to another part of the room where the cockroaches would eat him back up but it was really just teleportation. Also the general crowd control and the stopping power of being amassed in Cockroaches. My son PC had this real useless on paper power but came in handy quite a bit. He had a big Foot Made out of Iron.
>>
>>46612993
Last year
Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition
Had the power to transform into an angel-like humanoid with a voice powerful enough to damage things, able to communicate with any living thing, telepathic comunication and a few immunities. If he entered rage mode, he'd transform further into an eldritch abomination that had better versions of those power plus an aura of agonizing voices and screms that corroded whatever got near him. The rest of the time he was just a pretty chill black jazz singer.
>>
Never exactly 'played' per se. But I'll be in a Champions game soon, made a gadget-using normal that's kinda like Whiplash mixed with Scorpion mixed with Black Bat, should be fun.
>>
>>46612993
Twice in my college career. Freshman year, two years ago, I ran a pretty standard "supers just appeared" game with slightly, poorly implemented, Watchmen-like "people don't trust the supers" themes. Since I ran it, I didn't play anything, but nobody had any powers particularly out of the ordinary. The most unique were somebody who could astral project and become a ghost while leaving their body comatose, and a guy who could remove his limbs and take pretty much infinite beating. However, this ended with the players escaping the Watchmen-esque bullshit and leaving to become pirates on the Astral Plane.

The following spring, we played their kids. I was the son of the astral projector and the limb-remover, pic related was my inspiration. I was basically a psychic boxer, pretty fun.

Now, we're playing the sequel to that game but we've left behind the super powers and simply become inhabitants of the Astral Plane, which is naturally ten kinds of crazy. I'm a half-spider child of Arachne, seeking revenge on Athena for cursing my great great grandmother, in a campaign where we're attempting to commit genocide against gods in general in order to prevent wholesale corruption and to keep the Astral Plane from turning into what's essentially 40k's warp.
>>
Almost got to play in a couple, but both times fell through before we started.
Weirdly, it was the same group both times.
>>
Huh. I thought that was the Plutonian for a second.
>>
8years ago, D20 superheroes.

I played the Demolitionist. Only powers were regeneration and damage resistance. Used lots of explosives.
>>
>>46618842
random rolling up heroes can produce some ridiculous power combos, and is either totally worth it or non-playable.
>>
Last summer.
It was a 3e Mutants & Masterminds game set in some weird dystopian future city-state, with grey-morality characters.
I played a shut-in neet who could basically hulk out. Except, instead of getting big and green, he turned into a dinosaur with wrist blades. If pushed even further, as a last resort the edges of the blades and ridges on the dino's skin would would basically turn into plasma-spewing chainsaws. In doing this, he'd take massive penalties to most skills and half of his defensive stats into becoming an even harder hitter, and I'd play his character as more blindly aggressive.
The other characters were a cyborg, a vampire chick, and some lady who was an assassin or something. Vampire's character was actually pretty fleshed out, the others not so much.
Sadly, the game didn't last more than a few sessions as most of the group lost interest in favor of D&D 5e.
>>
File: Shell Dorado.jpg (391 KB, 803x800) Image search: [Google]
Shell Dorado.jpg
391 KB, 803x800
>>46620399
As in it could be completely hilarious or completely hilarious?

Also, I see that there's a fan-made point-buy chargen out there.

https://samhaine.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/heroville-pathways/
>>
>>46620487
yes on both counts. Admittedly we played the FASERIP version of Marvel Super Heroes, but its a fairly simple system.
>>
File: c7a72f60675aa6d1c86f8882cf882634.jpg (764 KB, 1000x1259) Image search: [Google]
c7a72f60675aa6d1c86f8882cf882634.jpg
764 KB, 1000x1259
M&M, 3e. Love the system.

We're playing a Marvel thing, so I got a female Tony Stark, in as close as I could get to the Movies Iron Man armors. I've managed pretty well, thankfully. The real trick is making sure each weapon has a niche to fill.
>>
File: Arachne.jpg (100 KB, 711x948) Image search: [Google]
Arachne.jpg
100 KB, 711x948
>>46619707
>half-spider child of Arachne, seeking revenge on Athena for cursing my great great grandmother
I should play with more mythology-based heroes.
>>
>>46615999
Ric's power sounds great for a PT though. Be nice to your client for a while then use your power to make them live healthily.
>>
Last game was two days ago and we were playing champions complete (hero system).
I am playing an extremely strong telekinetic who can control ferrous metals, can fly, and has regeneration. He's literally my three favorite super powers rolled into one. The others in my group are a magic detective from a book series, a dude pulled out of RWBY, and that guy with the magic cloth from Hunter x Hunter (I think he's called owl). Every session is fun as hell and we enjoy every minute of it, voluntarily limiting ourselves if we step over into another person's speciality (I.E. I don't animate a metal pipe and sword fight a dude because that's the RWBY character's job and he doesn't try to collapse buildings).
>>
>>46617341
Hah, I just imagine people mispronouncing it during role calls and stuff. "It says my contact is an Agent 'Anolee'? Huh, must be Italian."
>>
>>46620487
I feel an incredible urge to play as that turtle. Looks rad as fuck.
>>
File: Tim Gunn Iron-Man.jpg (784 KB, 1271x774) Image search: [Google]
Tim Gunn Iron-Man.jpg
784 KB, 1271x774
>>46620802
Speaking of silly antics, part of me wants to do something just off the wall instead of a super serious superhero game.

And no, I lack sauce. I got the pic from some /co/ thread ages ago.
>>
>>46612993
Mutants and Masterminds
I played a monk with the ability to destroy electronics and a whole bunch of guns.
>>
>>46620487
My group used the random character generator as something of a baseline for how powerful a character should be, and choose powers from there. We have one player who's not "that guy", but just doesn't know when to reel it in. So he'd come up with a hero with twelve or so powers, and we'd be able to point to the generator and tell him to shuck it down to match everyone else's power level. It's working out really well so far. Speaking of which, I'm currently in a MHRP game, and I've got stretch and shapeshifting powers.
>>
>>46620928
So... you played Neo?
>>
File: WM_mk1Transparent.png (2 MB, 980x1998) Image search: [Google]
WM_mk1Transparent.png
2 MB, 980x1998
>>46620918
http://marvel.com/comics/issue/28198/models_inc_2009_1_tim_gunn_variant/tim_gunn_variant

Google is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>46620597
It's fun having a solid real-world influence, honestly, and gives the GM a lot of pre-built shit to throw into the story that I'd care about. I'd recommend it, 8/10 experience.

On a side note, I challenged Athena to a duel while trying to solve the case of the golden apple without inciting a second Trojan War and she fucking cut off one of my legs and then slit Aphrodite's throat, so that's cool.
>>
>>46620678
>Basically magneto Mary Sue
>Unoriginal character stolen straight from a book
>Unoriginal character stolen straight from a Animated webshow
>Unoriginal character stolen straight from an anime
>Still has fun
I want a group like that
>>
>>46620962
Naw, more like the dude form Equlibrium.
>>
Current game on hiatus, my character is a Dia de los Muertos style death magic lady. With some prep to get the area appropriate for remembrance for the dead, can cast curses and death magic, get undead minions (skeletons and ghosts) to help out, and even trespass to the realm of the dead. Favorite ability is either to get an undead fiesta going, or give someone a glimpse of the afterlife, basically an unfathomable cacophony of undead laughter and negative energy as they celebrate and welcome the target to join the fiesta.

We're having a lot of fun with the game.
>>
I'm DMing a Wild Talents game with a "mutant mobsters vs magic cartel" theme. My players are a sound controller, a pressure controller and a speedster. It's my first ever game and it's been a bit difficult to keep it all flowing and fun. But my players roleplay sadistic villains just a little too well sometimes
>>
>>46619707
Forgot to mention that next semester, it's looking like we're going to play another sequel back on Earth where things have become stereotypically cyberpunk but with superpowers instead of technology. If I'm not running the game, I think I'm going to play a character with the power to lock two objects' positions relative to each other. We're probably gonna play in a more narrative system which should make such an odd power infinitely more workable.
>>
>>46612993
I am playing one now
since it's low level for now, street stuff like Daredevil I am doing fate for now

Once players become stronger I will probably go M&M
>>
>>46620546
Whats your characters name? Who's the rest of your team made up of?
>>
>>46612993
I've never played one but I desperately want to.
>>
>>46612993
>>46621790
There are two characters currently

One is essentially James Gordon who is a medium and can communicate with the dead
The other is a deaf telepath (get it, like blind guy who has sonar) who is slowly going full costumed superhero mode from a vigilante
>>
>>46612993
I played a PTSD archaeologist who found a magical Golden Mask that gave him immense might but also gave him illusions(which were basically true to some extent) that Egyptian god Pateb was following him and controlling him which created two distinct personalities when wearing a mask and when not wearing it. Sort of like Moon Night in a Golden Age setting with a bit more actual super powers.
>>
How do I into Mutants and Masterminds?
Is power system as convoluted as I think it is? Every time I open the rulebook I instantly feel the urge to not read it.
>>
>>46621898
It can be a little tough to grok if you're not used to point buy systems, and even if you are it's got a weird mix of powers that are specifically themed and powers that you're supposed to ignore the theme of and take for their effect, or it did in 2e at least. Like five varieties of blast that only varied in their theme and what alternate powers made sense with them.

The key to keep in mind with building M&M powers is that you're choosing effects, nothing else. It's all about how you describe it. A simple Blast power could be anything from an energy blast, summing and shooting a bow and arrow, calling a ghost that charges at the enemy, or throwing your head. Or to continue with the calling a ghost to fight for you, you could also stat that up as a summon power. It depends on what you want the effect to be.
>>
>>46621898
What helped me was realizing that the M&M book doesn't actually have any powers, it has /descriptors/. Say you want a fire shot, you would have to take the long-range Blast power and add descriptors for area of attack and ongoing damage (burning), and say it's fire. It's wonderful because it's so open-ended, but you'll have to be very careful not to go too powerful.

Like the short-lived game I ran, where Not!Dr. Octopus blew up the city when he got called out for being a thief. Should've given his character sheet a closer look.
>>
>>46617742
How do you manage that kind of power with BESM?
>>
Mutants and Masterminds

MICKEY MANCORE

The former WWF champion that has decided to step out of the ring and fight crime.
>>
>>46622198
>but you'll have to be very careful not to go too powerful.
This is what I fear
>>
>>46622353
It's not as easy to go retardedly OP as people make it sound. Your damage, attack bonus, and defenses are capped at the campaign's power level, and while you can kind of sort of trade-off these numbers to min-max, that won't make you excessively powerful. The stupid powerful stuff is all not only extremely obvious (oh, complete immunity to all types of damage is only 120 power points!, I can make this attack affect everybody on the planet all at once!), it's usually explicitly called out as something to avoid pulling unless you're an asshat.
>>
>>46622353
Again, it's not difficult so long as you stay vigilant and have some common sense

Like I should've noticed that his last-ditch attack had a three-mile radius
>>
GURPS (not the best choice, but not the worst either).
I played Dysmorphia, a girl that had grown up with super powers after what everyone assumed was a radioactive chemical accident, but turned out was basically her touching the mind of Lovecraftian beings slumbering beyond time and space. She had a kind of limited shapeshifting, her default texture and color were a kind of rubbery green-black, and she found it very hard to change, and she had no default form (most of the time she went around as a humanoid torso on top of what looked like an upside down anemone), which caused her some mild angst, but mostly she was amused by the angst others felt on her behalf.

Parts of her body weren't connected to her in real space, so it might look like she sent a floating eyeball to the other side of a wall, or hurled some kind of spine out of her body, but to her it was a lot like just moving an eyestalk or claw tendril normally.

Was pretty fun.
>>
Hey MnM 3e question. How would I stat out a Supernatural Creature(Demon) and Crimefighter as PL8
>>
>>46612993
Last saturday. We play 3e M&M
>>
Several years ago. It was hero system. My Powers were shrinking and density control. Basically the smaller I got the denser I became. My characters name was Gravity Well.
>>
File: 1444804697630.jpg (646 KB, 800x933) Image search: [Google]
1444804697630.jpg
646 KB, 800x933
>>46621813
I'm being literal. It's Antonia 'Toni' Evangeline Stark.

Think of it as an alt universe, basically. Lots the same, but some different. For example, we got all the mutents around, but my Toni follows the general plot lines of the first two Iron Man live action movies.

That said, for the rest of the group, we got:
Thor
She-hulk, who replaces standard hulk in this continuity.
Jean Grey
Captain Stephine Rodgers.
>>
File: Ichigo.png (70 KB, 281x428) Image search: [Google]
Ichigo.png
70 KB, 281x428
A while ago. It was in Heroes Unlimited because that's what the GM knew.

I played a pic related.
>>
>>46623610
There's a whole supernatural handbook you might try out.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds#myfiles
>>
>>46624872
So it's a magical realm reversed gender universe and you are playing a borderline ERP game.
Go it.
>>
>>46624879
>>46621882
Hey
>>
>>46624978
Not really, but hey, think whatever you want.
>>
>>46613602
>you can't do anything even remotely different or slightly gimmicky without being a special snowflake memer
>>
>>46612993
>When was the last time you played a superhero game?
If everything goes right, -1 week or so.
Meaning, I'm starting one soon-ish.

MnM 3e.

And I'll list the characters that have been submitted so far.

>first one: industrialist that built himself a power armor suit. Avoids being tony clone by a personality quirk of having always worn a mask during business. He has power armor with energy and forcefield weaponry.
>second one: an immortal warrior of 1400's Byzantine Empire, having drowned in the ocean for half a millennia, then washed up ashore in america, learned english from hobos and now fights crime. He has a big sword and knows how to use it anime way.
>third one: an atlantean superhero, chased a serpent guy supervillain out of atlantis, washed up on the same shore as the previous guy, lost the trail and decided to fight crime in the city while looking for new tracks of the guy he's chasing. He's got water manipulation powers.
>forth one: apprentice wizard, his hometown has been hit by a zombie outbreak, he fought them using freshly unlocked magic powers, another wizard found him and took him in as apprentice, they moved to city the game is in, master is off to mexico on some business, apprentice is doing stuff by himself for a while.

And then comes That Fucking Guy
>as a prelude, his forum profile has title set as "God of Trolls, Eldritch Snarker"
(post too long, cutting in half)
>>
>>46625212
>then the character
>Personality: He is sarcastic, and almost constantly exerting the feeling of being surrounded by idiots. Can be surprisingly a cute dork at times, especially when video games or animated sitcoms are brought up. Often eats a lot.
>He is just a bored, rich MIT student, who, after the superpowers increased his intelligence to superhuman levels, saw a business opportunity - he created small, flying drones to be his eyes, ears, and mouth, and would gather intelligence for heroes and villains alike, and get paid for it. That's basically it. He has no real backstory, nothing very eventful has happened in his life.
>And... that's actually it. Aside from his intelligence, drones, and incredible hacking, he is just a normal guy with no real agenda or backstory.
>By the way, yes, he is still in Cambridge. What kind of idiot would go directly to the city to broker intelligence?
Me: dude, this is an action game about a superhero team and you've got a guy with no action, no superheroing and not on the team.
>Of course the point is that he wouldn't be part of the 'action'. He'd be a glance at what could happen if an empowered civilian decided to take advantage of their powers not for good or evil, but just for profit and self-benefit - not a hero, not a villain. Just True Neutral.
Me: Nope.
>Hm. K. I have a Cyber Ninja (he's an edgy college student, he takes on the ninja style because it is cool in his opinion) bomb throwing anarchist who has plenty of excuses to aid our heroes.
>>
>>46624872
is Thor still a guy though?
>>
M&M ages ago and then the game fizzled out like they usually do but hey that's what friends are for.

She was Queen Bee aka Beatrice Keeper. She was a college student who discovered a way to command swarms of bees through special antennas. Like any good super scientist she then attached them to a helmet that also gave all the senses of a bee and then invented wearable bee wings, carapace armour, pollen and honey bombs and stinger knuckles. She was also immune to bee stings but that's more a naturally acquired immunity.
>>
Long time ago, I played as "Great Cthulhu, Defender of the Earth". Basically I was Cthulhu in human form. Yes Cthulhu, not an expy or a stand in. I could turn into actual Cthulhu if I so willed, or mind-rape the entire planet, or all sorts of mostly useless in-game things.

It would pretty cool. Threw the ISS at someone once. This was way before a video game ripped off my totally original idea.
>>
>>46621882
>>46624994
Oh, well, this is a tad embarrassing. I do kinda wish the game hadn't imploded. It was pretty fun.
>>
>>46625666
Yep, it was good.
Oh well.
>>
File: 000_929.jpg.jpg (29 KB, 312x720) Image search: [Google]
000_929.jpg.jpg
29 KB, 312x720
>>46625242
Thor is still a guy.

...which I guess makes that gender-swapped given the current Marvel setup and all too.
>>
>>46621898
>Is power system as convoluted as I think it is?
The powers system is basically effects which you describe however you want.
It does get a little harder to go the other way.

It helps to read through a bunch of ready characters though.
For that you have
>DC heroes and villains books
A whole fucking ton of guys that you know already and you see how they tick in the system
>Threat report
Also a ton of characters. Ready to use villains.
>Power Profiles and Gadget Guides
This is just pure powers, grouped by categories. "Here's how you do X, costs so and so per rank"

>Gamemaster Kit (or also included in the Deluxe corebook)
this on the other hand is an easy chargen of pretty archetypical heroes. You won't get too intricate powers from here, but you can very easily cook up pretty variable roster of characters.
Somebody posting it and people rolling up random characters is an occasional occurrence in supers threads around here.
>>
>>46622225
If you mean "How do you handle that power level in the system" the answer is that it's wonky but if the GM sets up the setting right it doesn't go totally to pieces.

If you mean how it was possible to kill everyone on Earth, here's the short version: We were trapped in a fake world mostly like our own, and in our attempts to escape, a PC with Power Flux Creation slapped a thruster on Earth, giving it Spaceflight, and plunged it into the Sun. When we later did escape the fake world, it turned out that everyone who died there also died in real life, outside of some supers.
>>
File: 250px-Cia[1].png (114 KB, 250x286) Image search: [Google]
250px-Cia[1].png
114 KB, 250x286
>>46612993
How would you make a Bill Wilson aka CIA character for a game of M&M?
>>
>>46612993
>When was the last time you played a superhero game?
Last year, modern dystopian setting.

>What system? What powers did you have?
Worlds in Peril. I was an energy being whose power was simply the ability to manipulate its own energy to affect the world.
>>
Mutant and Mastermind.

The power to see through everything (X-Ray vision). The power was mandatory, I choose the play a grossly overweight pervert looking through girls clothing because it was the funniest think I could thought of doing with that power.
>>
>>46626092
Not much skills, some basic equipment, duplicate power with a shitton of ranks in more clones extra.

When he says he is CIA, he means it.

>captcha is 1500 1500
Okay captcha, 1500 clones would be between 10 and 11 ranks.
>>
The system was m&m2e.
The setting was 2015, in an America where terrorism had killed American politicos on the eve of the 2012 election and plunged the country into a reeeeally low-grade, seething, almost-civil war under the rule of the military-industrial complex who stepped in and established corporate junta rule in the power vacuum. Left and right blamed each other and both sides hated their new overlords, and the superheroes and villains of yesterday were suddenly thrust into a much more confusing and dangerous world.
I played a super named Pivot whose power was basically a Bishop ripoff. He could absorb energy and redirect it to heal himself or blast others.

I had never played a super game before and I haven't since. It was a nice change of pace and I'd be up for it again.
>>
How do I find a superhero game? I have the 3e MnM stuff but I'm intimidated to try to run a game.
>>
>>46612993
its been a while but i played the marvel superhero RPG, and that campaign got really fucking weird really fast.
>>
>>46613602
>you're different
How commie superheroes new or unique?
>>
>>46626296
Hit up group searches and pray.

Also maybe learn 2e, a lot of grognards stick to it.
>>
>>46612993
A couple of years ago I played Aberrant. I was David "Kouros" Petrakis. He had a few social powers, and could transform into a living stone statue, giving him super strength and increasing his already superhuman toughness.

The game fell apart after 2 sessions.
>>
>all those game fell apart
why do cool games never last, anons, why
>>
Does anyone have trouble coming up with large-scale plots for super-hero games, especially when supers are supposed to be rare in the setting? I've always wanted to run something with Mutants and Masterminds, but keep having troubles coming up with a plot...

Oh and my last hero was a college student who stole alien technology from a crashed UFO before the government could get there and used it to make himself a power suit. I was basically Iron Man, if he had to work out of a garage, rather than a multi-million-dollar penthouse lab. I also hammed up EVERYTHING, going for dramatic entrances and poses and demanding the bad guys, "Cease your villainous ways at once, felons! The Silver Sentinel is here to deliver justice!"

The game fell apart though. The GM and myself wanted cheese super-hero antics, one of the players didn't have any reason to work with us, being a government agent who's only power was immortality; he just picked up a wage ticket at the end of each day. Then there was the one player who decided that heroes are losers and just played The Punisher because he wasn't happy if he wasn't killing things and being grim and gritty... So now we're playing something in Warhammer 40k for the twentieth fucking time...
>>
>>46626487
Plenty of bad or dragging games mercifully fall apart too. The great roleplaying god of stagnation hungers and it does not care from where its next meal comes.
>>
File: Dark Age vs Silver Age.png (177 KB, 1186x829) Image search: [Google]
Dark Age vs Silver Age.png
177 KB, 1186x829
>>46626794
If everybody is sick of warhammer, why are you bending over for that one guy?

Also, picrelated
>>
>>46626883
Because it's something we can agree on. I'm not the biggest fan, but it's tolerable... I'm just sick of how often we play it. It's either 40k or some god-awful homebrew that guy's come up with for 7th Sea that's basically his excuse to wank over Russian super-technology. I don't know what it is, but it's not the swashbuckling 7th Sea I wanted...

Maybe it's just me that's the problem... I should talk to the rest of the group, but then it'd inevitably get back to him and cause problems... So I just keep shtum.
>>
>>46626920
Pull the GM and the other player for private talks about how they feel about games, how tired they are of 40k and what they really WANT to play. (The GM is most important, also noting that he was full on board with superhero antics)

If that guy is forcing you into barely tolerable gaming because he bitches the loudest, he's quite a dick.
>>
Yesterday, did a one-player oneshot. About to start a full campaign in a couple of weeks.
>>
buuump
>>
Rolled 16, 20, 19, 15, 7, 19, 3, 2, 8, 12, 9, 5, 7, 8, 15, 4, 9, 15, 6, 5 = 204 (20d20)

Lets roll up some heroes

>why no pdf included
Only got deluxe hero handbook on my phone and its too fat to post
>>
>>46628431
>16: classic supernatural
Damn, some of the more banal archetypes
>20: werewolf
>19:wilder
Damn, RNG, not even going to break the stereotype?
>15: smarty teen
Ok, better
>7: offensive power, devilish speed
>19: offense power, deathly howl
>3, 8. 12 for utility power: human transformation, leaping, sharp claws
aand that's about it.
>>
File: GM Kit.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GM Kit.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46628431
Gotcha covered, faget.
>>
>>46628553
Thanks m8.
>>
>>46612993
I was a regular guy who could stop time.
>>
>>46618026
>lol so randumb

Commit sudoku
>>
File: 1456944300773.jpg (306 KB, 1200x1618) Image search: [Google]
1456944300773.jpg
306 KB, 1200x1618
>>46624879
>Heroes Unlimited
Ma nigga!

Playing in two superhero games now.
High Power character: Girl who transforms into a black cat or black panther depending on her needs, with some powers that lend themselves well to thievery and sneaking.

Low power: Character that picked up Mystic Study after accidentally finding the tree of life. A wizard, basically.
>>
File: 1337642261253.png (48 KB, 350x339) Image search: [Google]
1337642261253.png
48 KB, 350x339
>>46615305
>I called my character Batman, WB and DC wanted to sue me, and extra officially kill me, in the game. Eventually had to change my name to Hell scream, Hell's cream in the tabloids everytime I fucked up.

I love that.
>>
About a year ago.
M&M 3rd Edition
I played a guy who was essentially themed as a human truck. He billowed smoke and had massive gorilla-like robot arms assembled from engine blocks and powered by the heated smoke he blew.

How he got the powers was kinda convoluted in the end, but I still think the overall image is dope.
>>
>>46612993
I haven't, but some friends of mine did some in Mutants and Masterminds and had a blast.
>>
VS System about a year ago.
Wish I knew more people to play with.
>>
>>46615305
>>46628854
Heckwhimper would be funny too.
>>
File: toon-link-let-go-eightmelodies.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
toon-link-let-go-eightmelodies.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>46625212
>>46625229
Update to this: another new guy
>Name: John Anderson. Hero name/alias: Zero
>Personality: He is a loner who often avoids people, he is a serious guy who enjoys completing missions without mistake as he is also very OCD. He is a collector of weapons most he doesn't even know how to use proficiently.
>Powers: How he is never seen is he manipulates the bond between limbo and the physical world to where he can move unseen until he reenters the world in a new location, but this takes a toll on him as well each time he does this he is physically weakened, and he has a splitting headache.later when the games begin he will later be able to take others with him. Also if he goes through limbo only mentally then he is put into a coma like state until he returns to his body. he also has visions sometimes but they are usually irrelevant to the subject at hand.
>>
>>46628689
>Commit sudoku
Or maybe you should an gyro.
>>
>>46628781
Eh. I learned from the experience, and this wasn't anyone's fault, that I dislike Heroes Unlimited, and felt that Tri-stat/Silver Age Sentinels or M&M would have done a better job, but I guess that's opinions for you. I mean, even with the GM explaning EXACTLY what to do I felt like I would have been better off just having him tell me exactly what to roll dice wise and let him handle the character sheet 100 percent.
>>
>>46631875
What did it not do? Where you trying to recreate a hero that the system couldn't copy? If the GM had to explain it like that it sounds a little like you didn't actually give the system a shot.
I hope you find a good silver age sentinels / M&M game though!
>>
God fucking damn how do I refuse that shitty signup for my game without violating the forum's rules of politeness.
>>
>>46633546
It's less what it couldn't do, because it did things I wasn't aware it could do. Honestly it was more of a dice preference: it was jumping around between percentiles and then suddenly a d20, and then maybe a d10, and just didn't seem to know what it wanted to do from my perspective.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the Rifts/Palladium system.
>>
Rolled 6, 16, 10, 16, 13, 9, 14, 3, 7, 18, 14, 8, 2, 14, 15, 16, 17, 8, 13, 5 = 224 (20d20)

>>46628553
ROlling for another one
>>
>>46635861
>wasn't aware I could do

Did you not read the book for the system? It sounds like you just played without looking at the book.

Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>46636144
I did read the book, thank you very much. The book was so horribly edited and laid out I barely could put a mortal character together with it, let alone a martial arts cyborg hero.
>>
>>46636173
If you read the book then you would probably know what you could do. You said the GM even told you what you could do? You sound kinda whiny and super lazy. I bet you didn't actually read the books for M&M and silver age sentinels either, you're just regurgitating what you read someone else say.

I wont say palladium is well made as a whole, but using only one book that's actually a pretty solid update of the system even today, shouldn't be too much for an adult human to figure out.

YOU AREN'T HUMAN, ARE YOU!?
Get off my boards alien!
>>
>>46626340
That's because it's better.
>>
>>46636304
It's still halfway dndshit and thus attracts dndrones.
>>
>>46636300
I'm human enough to know that I never want to touch Palladium again if I can help it.

And Yes, I have read the books for both of those. I'm one of those few weird people that enjoy M&M 3rd ed to 2nd, and rather enjoy everything I've played in Tristat/BESM/SAS.

The one thing I'll give Palladium and Heroes Unlimited is at least it's not GURPS. Though at this point I'm not sure which is worse.
>>
>>46636372
That's why I got into it in the first place -- it was an easy transition.
>>
>>46636376
Nah, you sound like a whiny cunt who doesn't read or draw their own opinions.

Opinions disregarded.

If you ever do decide to pick up a book and read I hope you find a system you enjoy.
>>
>>46630818
No, pretty sure the dude playing a can of beans should be the hero
>>
>>46636440
1) You're not considering that the GM could easily have had something to do with it not coming together for him
2) You're the one whining that a stranger on the internet doesn't like the same shit you like.
>>
>>46636440
Woow you're shitposting hard.
>>
>>46615305
I get hellscream, but why batman?
>>
>>46637654
Bats fly (flight), emit high frecuency sounds (sonic blast), have echolocation (super hearing like Daredevil) and cause fear on criminals because they're a superstitious cowardly lot (emotion control).

>>46628854
We also had a dude able to explode himself like a bomb, code name Musul-Man (he was actually from Mosul, which he pronounced Musul, so he's the man from Mosul, aka Musul-Man), his PR guy almost kills himself trying to make that work. We thought it was funny back then.

Then there was the third guy who was totally not Solid Snake with teleportation and invisibility powers, nothing worth mentioning here.
>>
>>46637858
You just reminded me of that one time when I GMed a campaing and one of the players decided he wanted to be "Captain Pieces", a man who could throw around his own limbs, fingers, head and whatever, and then that part of him would explode. He didn't have regeneration or anything like that, so everytime he actually lost a part of his body and would need someone to heal it back.

For some reason he also thought it'd be a nice idea to be able to make the separated limbs gigantic merely for shenanigan purposes, he never used that power in any useful way. Now that I think about it, he never used any of his powers usefully at all.
>>
>>46636440
Fuck you, nigga, and fuck Palladium and Samamammamamamambala's stupid fucking face.
>>
>>46612993
Earlier this year.
Marvel Heroic.
All of them. I was running it.
>>
>>46612993

Mutants & Masterminds, based off a character I used to run in the City of Heroes MMO.

Claws/Super Reflexes Scrapper. Looking over the DC guidebook I saw that my character's design wouldn't be hugely different from Deathstroke's build. swap sword/staff fighting for built-in claws, a bit more dodge-based than tough, a bit less strong.

Really I just wanted an CoH-copying exercise, it was an interesting experience.
>>
>>46628854
>>46615305
In my setting that we're going to be playing next semester, I plan on having the first "official" superheroes coming from when a speedster went around calling themselves The Flash. DC tried to sue them, but instead settled for a license deal to make him the real The Flash, kicking off a new era of corporate heroes.
>>
File: sdfasdf.jpg (156 KB, 800x1064) Image search: [Google]
sdfasdf.jpg
156 KB, 800x1064
>>46631875
>>46635861
That's pretty weird, I had the exact opposite experience. I came over from pathfinder and found it super intuitive. I really can't relate; while I forgot which dice to use and forgot to use all my available tools, I just.. got Palladium. I very rarely need to look up how something works while playing while I was fucked if I didn't have a book open with Pathfinder.

Shame you couldn't understand how to play for some reason, that is actually very strange if you did indeed read the very simply-put books. Palladium fits me like a goddamn glove and I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on every count, but to each his own.
>>
>>46612993
Currently playing in two. In one, I'm basically Harry Dresden, and in the second I'm a cop with paper control powers, much like those seen in Read Or Die. We play in Marvel Heroic.
>>
>>46612993
In a PBP

MHR

Super Quantum Precognition
>>
>>46641177
Amadeus Cho?
>>
File: deadpollvsomegaman.jpg (183 KB, 1141x1024) Image search: [Google]
deadpollvsomegaman.jpg
183 KB, 1141x1024
I have never played a superhero game. I have tried many times but my various groups have all put it off indefinitely.
The closest I've gotten is I play in a do-whatever-you-want game running off a modified World of Darkness system and have made my character a superhero.
His name is Omega-man and he can manipulate kinetic energy. This game has proven my theory that it is the best power for a traditional superhero to have. He can fly super fast, shoot energy beams, and hit super hard, and he's invulnerable since anything that hits him comes to a halt as he drains the kinetic energy from it, adding it to his pool, further empowering his flight, blasts and hard hitting. I've given him the power to detect kinetic energy so he can feel everything around him daredevil style as long as it's moving. Also he can drain kinetic energy from a range to hold people in place or bring bullets to a halt, it's useful considering he's the one person with a no kill rule in a band of crazy murder hobos.
(pic related, one of the other players just made a 1to1 replica of Deadpool.)
>>
A few years ago we played a Truth & Justice game. The setting was basically a bit more lighthearted Kerberos Club though I think it took place in 1870s

The characters:
1) A teenage parapledgic genius girl. Her powers were similar to Magneto's, just on a much lower level. She mostly used them to lug around a huge metal suit shaped like a bearded viking and pretend she's Thor (sorry, THOOOR!)
2) Her older sister. Not as smart but much better at talking to people and a great administrator. Runs a successful business with the help of her sister's inventions. She had mind control powers that required skin-to-skin contact, or she could charge an object and if thrown at someone, it would scramble the target's brain for a little while. Also, she was a martial artist
3) A gremlin masquerading as a human. Could create improbable technology on the spot, had a bit too much love for fire and disassembling things. Also, had a flying castle in the fairy dimension but was kicked out by his own unruly creation
>>
File: untitled (5).png (97 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
untitled (5).png
97 KB, 181x278
>>46626794
>Does anyone have trouble coming up with large-scale plots for super-hero games,

yep, I've been working on a setting that's based on mark millers wanted and I've been trying to figue out how A) the villains don't just kill the heroes immediately thanks to greater experience and all the other perks running the world can get you.
B) how exactly their control over the world works, my current idea is that all the cops and soldiers are mind controlled and the politicians just plain old work for the villains but that last bit just raises up whole new issues like whos going to run the governments of the world when the villains are dead and how can anyone trust supers or each other once the truth of all this is revealed?
>>
Rolled 15, 2, 11, 2, 14, 19, 4, 9, 6, 13, 5, 8, 6, 9, 16, 11, 5, 17, 17, 1 = 190 (20d20)

>>46628553
>>
>>46645259
Summoner.
2: cloner;
11: triplets
2: Energy controllers
14 for the descriptor is Light.

So we have a dude who makes hard-light duplicates of himself.
coolio.

Oh yes and that's actually from the Deluxe Handbook rather than GM kit.
GM kit's duplicator is a mundane brawler aside from the cloning, while here we see more variety.
>>
>>46641778
That sounds... amazing, actually.

I really want to play a guy like that now holy shit.
>>
>>46641778
>I've given him the power to detect kinetic energy so he can feel everything around him daredevil style as long as it's moving
It's called T-rex-sense
>>
Rolled 16, 1, 9, 5, 20, 10, 14, 12, 13, 11, 1, 1, 4, 9, 8, 11, 14, 1, 7, 18 = 185 (20d20)

>>46628553
>>
>>46645359
It's pretty nice concept, yes.

except for "lol I'm invincible" part.
>>
>>46645524
In a normal M&M campaign, such a character would hardly be invincible, trust me.
>>
>>46645524
If he controls kinetic energy he can freeze people or just make them move wherever he wants, it's pretty OP as Marvel and DC already proved.
>>
>>46645564
Obviously, if you have power without any limits it is invincible. Able to instantly absorb any amount of kinetic energy from anything ever is makes it boring overpoweredness.

>>46645550
Of course, as M&M puts a number limit. Which whatever the original poster's homebrew was, it apparently didn't do. You don't auto negate everything ever in this game.
>>
>>46617562
no, i was making a snark comment on how 4e D&D regularly involves preposterous feats that the characters would need to be supers for. we sadly didn't play any actual superheroes, or heroes, for that matter.
>>
>>46612993
Never
None
>>
>>46646439
Why so, anon?
>>
Rolled 12, 19, 19, 17, 2, 19, 7, 10, 16, 6, 16, 19, 18, 17, 8, 2, 14, 7, 10, 3 = 241 (20d20)

>>46628431
Rolling
>>
File: 1437530409394.jpg (344 KB, 709x756) Image search: [Google]
1437530409394.jpg
344 KB, 709x756
>>46612993
if you count quests, I did yesterday.
otherwise never.

but I'd like to run something, especially since I've gotten my friends to start reading Worm and they like the setting...

people tell me Weaver Dice is deadly as balls, but incomplete. what system should I learn if we want to play a supers game with the lethality of the Worm-verse?
>>
File: omega-man.jpg (337 KB, 900x974) Image search: [Google]
omega-man.jpg
337 KB, 900x974
>>46645613
>if you have power without any limits it is invincible
True, but he's an RPG character so he had limits built in. There was still a maximum amount of energy he could soak at once, and I had to roll for it.
Still, it was very rare anything would hurt him. One of the rotating GMs actually wont allow him on her games anymore because, "I don't want to run a game with a character I can't kill".
>>
>>46650564
Ah, so it was just regular TTRPG broken, not freeform nuh-uh broken.
>>
File: 1460186599228.jpg (446 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460186599228.jpg
446 KB, 1920x1200
>>46612993
We played last saturday.

Mutants and masterminds and it's been a pretty good game for the last couple of months. I don't have any fancy powers, just my superintelligence and a battlesuit: the rest of my team has powers though.

A fire-flinging guy, apparently a redeemed arsonist, a kid with the strenght to benchpress an airplane or two and a girl with power over kinetic energy.
>>
File: omegamanpunch.jpg (48 KB, 420x369) Image search: [Google]
omegamanpunch.jpg
48 KB, 420x369
>>46651310
Yeah, all his stuff was approved by the group as it was slowly built up over time.
Except his insane speed, that was a happy accident.
>Flight power lets him spend energy to multiply his base speed
>base speed is based of his normal maximum run speed.
>magical fairy bullshit on one game permanently turns him into a horse
>got shapeshifting power to look human, but still technically has all the stats of a horse
>his maximum run speed is about 25mph
And that the story of how I hit a guy at mach 2
>>
>>46652046
If your character controls kinetic energy being able to punch at mach 2 is like the most common shit you can do.
>>
>>46649789
You should check out Wild Talents, you disgusting namefag piece of shit, it's got crazy flexibility for defining powers and can be very lethal if you don't have much in the way of defensive abilities. One pitfall though is that it's quite easy to break if you know what you're doing, so don't play with compulsive munchkins.
>>
>>46652630
What's to look out for in it?
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.