[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mage staff accessories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
Hello /tg/
I designed a mage staff crafting system, and I need your help for the creative part.
The system builds the staff in 4 pieces:
> the stick
> the head
> the heart
which I already got covered, and
> the accessories.

The accessories should be all the little stuff and bits mages attach on the staff (like pic related), basically adding character to the staff and the mage himself.
I'm looking for inspiration for what a mage can use for mundane, non magic accessories.

Setting is WFRP, but basically anything low fantasy inspired is going to be fitting.
Below are some examples of what i came up with so far.

Thanks in advance /tg/
>>
> animal bones, claws, teeth, feathers, lump of amber

> little human bones, thorny roses, hourglasses

> Iron keys

> crystal spheres representing astral bodies, white quartz
>>
This doesn't really fit into the "non-magical" part of the suggestion, but whenever I play magic-users with "organic" staves, like ones made of wood, I always describe small sprouts, leaves, or flowers that serve as an indicator of either the charges in the staff, or the magical energy of the wielder. If the wielder exhausts his magical energy, for example, the sprouts/leaves begin to droop and wilt, with the staff becoming petrified even if it's left without a source of magical energy for too long.
>>
> little closed vials, lumps of gold, coins, rings

> seashells, pearls, little essicated animals

> mirrors, silver trinkets

> little fruits, leaves, flowers
>>
>>46608084
This is a nice mechanic which I will definitely use regarding mages connected with nature and vegetation. Jade wizards if you're familiar with the setting, but druids too.
>>
>>46608049
>coins
>bells (with or without dinger in it)
>strips of assorted materials, e.g. ivory, copper, paper with symbols inscibed on it etc.
>materials that, while inherently magical, don't affect the functioning of the staff in any way
Also, look at dwarf fortress artifacts for some inspiration. Make the staff menace with spikes of granite, and be encrusted with cabochon-cut star sapphires
>>
>>46608084
Slightly related to this, but for non-organic staves, you could always carve whistle-like holes in parts of the stave, maybe even put in some pieces that resonate (and vibrate) with different sorts of magical energy, produce different sounds or "tunes" based on what spell is being prepared with said staff.

Admittedly, it may be a disadvantage in battle, because it clearly advertises your next attack if an opponent can figure out the tunes... but they could also serve as a focusing aid for the caster, or just be a badass accessory for a blind mage or something.
>>
>>46608169
> dwarf fortress
Tried to play a couple of times, but I unfortunately can't seem to get through the interface/graphics barrier.

Anywhere I can find a list of the artifacts?

Also it's not really my aim to make the staves turn from simple "magic object" to a full fledged "magic weapon". The only time I allowed it is for Amethyst Wizards with their scythe-staves, but that's because it's basically canon in the fluff.
>>
>>46608243
Cool idea this one, and it already gives me something about pros/cons for the crunch.

Thanks!
>>
Grips or wrappings. Certain grips could help focus certain types of energy into a staff while inhibiting others, sorta like how wrapping copper wire around other metals is part of how transformers work.

Wrappings would essentially be like removable carvings. Inscribed with runes or or made of special materials that would have a tradeoff... like keeping a staff's power "contained" and easier to control, but also weakening spells a bit, with the opposite being true when the wrapping is torn off or removed (spells become more powerful but more unpredictable or harder to control).
>>
>>46608049
Spear head -> improves offensive spells and makes the staff a better physical weapon, but weakens non-offensive spells
>>
>>46608386
I designeed the system to give every piece a broad kind of advantage, that is
> sticks lower spell difficulty, the spells made easier are based on the stick material
> heads give a kind of special effect, like permanent bonuses to some kind of action or passive abilities, depending on the kind of head
> hearts are raw power, I was thinking of flat out adding more casting dices
> accessories are mana batteries

I guess these wrappings of yours are very fitting with my idea, thank you very much!
>>
File: khakkhara.jpg (8 KB, 200x278) Image search: [Google]
khakkhara.jpg
8 KB, 200x278
>>46608169
>bells (with or without dinger in it)
Prevents stealth
Produces a "pure sound" when struck against the ground, increasing the strength of spells created to harm/banish demons or cause enemies to flee.
If you shake the staff without casting a spell, the noise irritates and distracts demons
>>
> chunks of animal fur

> little makeshift dolls

> severed parts of animals (stag eyes in glasses, bats wings on hooks)

> essiccated fingers

For a witch/hedge wizard type
>>
>>46608049
>It's not a Alicorn on a stick that doubles as a lance
faaaaag
>>
>Any kind of gem
>Animal parts
>Entire small Animals (alive or dead)
>Jewelry
>Locks of human hair
>Any Human parts
>Small Scrolls
>Runes carved into stones, rock, bone, gems etc.
>Razor Blades
>Different kinds of incense
>Pure Sun/Moon/Star/Dawn/Dusk-light
>Vials filled with stuff (different effects when smashing them open, depends on substance in vial)
>Glass shards
>Religious symbols (crucifixes etc.)
>Shells
>>
File: c'est ne pas une pipe.png (162 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
c'est ne pas une pipe.png
162 KB, 500x400
A pipe
>>
>>46608756
>Dried flowers
>Fresh flowers that never wilt
>Living Moss
>Dried spices/herbs
>Little Statuettes
>An actual beehive growing on the staff
>Engravings in the staff
>A live fairy
>A dead fairy
>An undead fairy
>Sheets of paper from books
>Candles
>Family heirlooms
>Beads of all kinds
>Actual necklaces
>Embroided Cloth
>Lace
>Musical instruments
>>
>>46608807
ceci n'est pas une correct french
>>
File: 1458124756794.jpg (34 KB, 361x359) Image search: [Google]
1458124756794.jpg
34 KB, 361x359
>>46608084
I know Dungeon Meshi does this, but how common of a trope is it really? I'd never seen it before.
>>
File: adderstone.jpg (37 KB, 320x302) Image search: [Google]
adderstone.jpg
37 KB, 320x302
Any mystic worth their salt ought to have an adderstone about, for the detection and warding of evil spirits. Most keep them on a string 'round their necks but you could certainly tie one to a stave if need be.
>>
>>46609765
i guess it could be just common sense, after all we're talking about organic staves and nature-life energies. I'd like it better than just some numbers over the charsheet
>>
>>46608049
You could add some of the material components needed to cast spells, a spell or summoning focus. For example a bat claw used to summon bats, a jade ring tied to a string or a silver nail
driven in the staff for some spell.

Rune carvings used to hide proper runes of the staff (whatever they mean, e.g. the true name of the staff, a command word, and so on). Perhaps the mage is feeble minded and carved all incantations in tiny runes along the staff.
>>
>>46611991
>mage holds his staff close to his face with both hands, his eyes hooded
>he mutters softly as his party watches him
>"What's he doing?"
>"Ssh! He's clearly casting a spell. It must be very long and difficult."
>He's really just peeking at his notes and trying to remember which one is "light"
>>
File: 1401659654060.jpg (48 KB, 435x571) Image search: [Google]
1401659654060.jpg
48 KB, 435x571
>>46615519
>>
>>46609878

>adder stone
>curiosity has me search

This is interesting to me and I've learned something new. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>46608049
All mage staffs have a screw fitting on the end for the knob. everyone knows a wizards staff has a knob on the end.
>>
>>46617624
Go to bed, Granny
>>
>>46608049
Mundane, non-magical accessories?

>Counterweights to improve the balance when pointing at shit

>Comfy grips, wrapped in leather or padding

>Small pockets for useful magical tools

>A sight

>Heavy bit for whacking people with

>Hiking pole tip

>Glowing vial or crystal for use at night

>Piece of string for use as improvised giant compass, for drawing magic circles

>Pockets and vials of useful reagents
>>
>>46618831
how the fuck you gonna put a pocket on a damn stick
>>
>>46618903
Magic, you dummy.
>>
>>46618831
>a sight
Well, know I have my next character concept. A tacticool wizard with pistol grip, bipod, rails, and ACOG sight on his staff. The /k/aster.
>>
>>46619109
Don't forget to burn down a forest after casting fireball at a deer.
>>
>>46618903
I was assuming you'd wrap a piece of leather or durable cloth with pockets in it around it. Like a tiny utility belt.
>>
>>46619109
Hey, don't knock the sight. A staff isn't the easiest thing in the world to aim.
>>
>>46619893
Not knocking, I just love the idea that some wizards are like AR owners; they have to compare accessories and manufacturers, and endlessly look down on less "operator" casters, like sorcerers or druids.
>>
>>46619109
>pistol grip
Nah, it'd have a shoulder stock and some grip-molded padding spaced along its length. Consider how you'd even hold a staff.

It would also, definitely, have a smaller underslung wand, acting as a Magic Missile launcher. And maybe another one on top, that exclusively casts Gould's Accurate Ray.
>>
>>46621961
>>46619109

You gotta think of some uniquely magical tacticool accessories. An adjustable hinged spike that folds out to allow the staff to be used as a giant compass for quickly drawing magical circles. Bolted-own clockwork gyroscopes, for stabilization. ̶C̶a̶r̶b̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶i̶b̶e̶r̶ Lacquered elvish coal-cloth, everywhere. (After all, you're going to be waving this thing around most of your working life; you'd like it to be light! And also black and tacticool, that's very important). Athame bayonets.
>>
>>46622776
Clockwork rangefinders, high capacity magazines of spell components, glowing crystal taclights, and an underslung scroll-casting device.
>>
>>46622776
What about a scope with some sort of Time Stop effect? It lets you go "bullet time" when aiming, allowing you to cast more accurately.
>>
File: k.jpg (223 KB, 1728x1296) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
223 KB, 1728x1296
>>46608828

>Musical Instruments
>>
>>46608049
all i see is poop on a stick
>>
File: Healing Rod.png (46 KB, 529x527) Image search: [Google]
Healing Rod.png
46 KB, 529x527
Why hasn't any sort of metal body/stick been suggested yet?
>>
>>46609765
Have you never been in a game with a druid before? Maybe it's just me, but I've seen this trope a ton. Just because it doesn't show up in vidyagames doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
This is neat and all op but why the fuck are you making casters even stronger?

>inb4 have you tried not playing D&D

Name me a system where casters DON'T overshadow martials by raw. I can think of exalted and that's about it.
>>
>>46623797
In my head canon metal is deleterious to magic, which can only be "conducted" by living or once living materials, like wood, bone, and crystal.
>>
>>46624095
I don't think you got the point of the thread.
>>
>>46608049
Small bird perch
>>
>>46621961
>>46622631
>>46622776
>>46622903
>>46622941
You guys are awesome.
>>
>>46625581
Requesting a screencap
>>
>>46624116
But anon metals are crystals, sub-atomically speaking.
>>
>>46624049
I don't even play vidya mate.
>I've seen this trope a ton
I DID ask for examples, if you happen to have any
>>
File: Cartridge_system.png (192 KB, 600x288) Image search: [Google]
Cartridge_system.png
192 KB, 600x288
>>46619109
>>46622776
>>46622903
So... Lyrical Nanoha then?

They've got staffs with pistol grips, nightstick magazines (in shotgun, rifle and revolver styles), onboard AI that assists in calculations so you can cast spells faster (and can also talk to give you status reports or warn you of enemies), steam vents for dramatically releasing excess heat, retractable laser-bayonets for melee combat, and rocket boosters in the butt. Plus the higher-end models can unfold into different modes for different kinds of magic.
>>
File: 1456577669165.jpg (36 KB, 241x403) Image search: [Google]
1456577669165.jpg
36 KB, 241x403
>>46624116
>living materials
>crystal
>>
>>46628723
>crystal is not considered a living element
Do you even cast, bro?
In occult tradition crystals are about the most powerful item you can have outside of sacrificed bone, blood or ash.
>>
>>46628806
It still seems inconsistent with the "living elements" claim. You can't have your "no metals rule" fluffed like that and cast with crystals, too.
>>
>>46608049
>incensories
>chains
>shackels
>writting stuff
>a smaller staff
>dolls
>>
>>46629859
How is it inconsistently when metal as we knot it is forged from ore whereas crystals actually grow on their own without man's interference?
Or, for that matter, how can it be unliving when you CAN interfere and cultivate them like a crop? You can't do that with metals.

Even if you don't believe in occultist bullshit crystals are still fucking awesome and any wannabe wizard would do well to learn about them because they are at the crux between super science and mysticism.
>>
A censer would be cool to have on the end for more divine-minded casters.
>>
>>46608807
ceci n'est pas une pipe, anon
>>
>>46630099
You should try mixing bleach and ammonia. Real nice crystals.
>>
Sorry OP, I can't post it because I'm at work but I wrote a giant magic system involving magical focus devices, with symbolic elements adding to or subtracting from powers and abilities of the staff.

For example, silver bits being involved with the moon would influence night magic and slaying of creatures. Copper is symbolic with water and storms, electric spells are boosted, etc.
>>
>>46608049
Head should be something sharp and pointy if possible, so you can always use it as a spear in a pinch.
>>
>>46624095
OP here.
Have you tried playing WFRP? :)
>>
>>46631506
As soon as you are able to post it, know that it would be a great source of inspiration to me, and if I may dare, all of us homebrewers.
Thanks in advance.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.