[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting too old for this shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: Ultramarine Librarian IMG_3197.jpg (42 KB, 567x628) Image search: [Google]
Ultramarine Librarian IMG_3197.jpg
42 KB, 567x628
Lately I got the feeling I should probably just sell most of the stuff I collected over the years, because I'll never get around to do anything with it anyway.
Add to that, that with WHFB gone and 40k going in a direction I don't care about I any longer I really don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it.

Anybody else gets these old tomcat feelings from time to time? Like you just want to give up and walk away?
Any of you guys ever quit hobbies like that? Did you regret it or were you happier for it?

Share your stories.
>>
Just take a long ol' break
>>
>>46607055
Terminator Librarian. I forgot about theses guys.

Have a huge army of old metals, space marines pre-fall thousand sons.

Once tried playing at a games workshop shop with them only to be asked if they were fakes because they look so different from the current editions.

I had to show him online the original models.
>>
>>46607055
Really, OP, it depends on your community more than anything else.
I've played 40k off and on for 20 some years. I quit playing for a handful of years after 4e came out and, to me, everything I enjoyed was butchered even worse than 2e->3e.
However, at the tail end of 4e and going into 5e, I found a shop that had a strong mix of crowds, some vets like me and people who had the same mindset when it comes to 40k as I do.
I don't need to worry about someone spamming jetbike Eldar in my shop, just like they don't need to worry about me rolling in grav cheese. The people who don't toe the community line are shown what is expected of everyone, and if they don't modify their behavior, are turned away.
Find the right place for you, OP. Don't trash years of good times and investment because some people don't walk to the same beat you do. The fun people are out there, if you go find them.
Good luck and godspeed, anon.
>>
File: Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg (32 KB, 216x338) Image search: [Google]
Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg
32 KB, 216x338
>>46607055
Got any of theses? Actually. Just take photos of all your models.

Show us your might.
>>
>>46607055
Don't sell em. Keep them.

Why? Because that shits expensive. Do what i did. I've got a nice cabinet with them all on display fighting each other in an eternal crusade.
>>
>>46607055
I feel you man. As I got older, got a family, better job, I ended up walking from a lot of things. Not all at once, but gradually.

If you want some cash, or to make a worthy successor, go for it.

I found myself playing more PC games as of late, or dabbling in smaller games.
>>
>>46607055
Yeah. I had this feelings recently, and sold a little over half my collection. Only keeping the stuff I really like.
>>
>>46608294
>dabbling in smaller games.
WHFB is dead, long live Mordheim (or Frostgrave)
>>
File: 1451505141879.gif (1 MB, 680x551) Image search: [Google]
1451505141879.gif
1 MB, 680x551
>>46608419
Realms of chaos bruh
>>
File: facebook-20160203-224642.png (473 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
facebook-20160203-224642.png
473 KB, 539x960
>>46607055
I'm thirty years old and with all the world building of the years I've just leveled up. I'm making a game, setting and miniatures line with my brother.

Pic related.
>>
File: 1378566396773.jpg (504 KB, 1600x1169) Image search: [Google]
1378566396773.jpg
504 KB, 1600x1169
Well, I did make a decision about 5 years ago when my wife got pregnant that, ether I stay and really go for it, or I simply quit spending money on shit I never finish.
And as such I have never during my 20 years as a Wargamer painted and played as much games as I have during those years. I simply put, took all the time I spend cruising the internet, wasting on YouTube and computer games, reduced my sleeping time, and I put all that in to the hobby! I really made an effort so to speak.
Now I have several finished armies in 40k, still a lot more to paint of what I got, but its a start, something I had never had before as I was a lazy fucker who mostly played with grey lists.

But regarding regretting stuff, I just spoke to a long time friend about our youth, mostly spending time at his house painting, laughing and taking turns on HOMM2 (brand new at the time I think!). As I recall it, it was joyful days with not a care in the world, we had a great time just having fun basically.
But when hearing his version of it, he thought it all just was a waste. He had no memories of happy times, and wondered why he had spent so much time doing basically nothing. In the end its just a matter of perspective.
>>
>>46609168
>no memories of happy times

Thats fucking sad. I've wasted lots of time gaming, chilling, and hobby stuff. while I admit they were not always the best use of my time, I don't regret them. Probably because I would rather complain that I wasted time than complain that I lacked fun.

As for OP, I suggest keeping them. There's enough comments in other threads about having an itch to play another game but the old models were sold off.

I've only quit CCGs because the I feel the investment is brutal for products that have an expiry date. I'm keeping my models because at least they can be displayed
>>
File: Fish in a Barrle of Power Armor.jpg (352 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Fish in a Barrle of Power Armor.jpg
352 KB, 1000x563
>>46607055
>>46609168
Had this feeling a while back after mostly completing my IG army after 5 years collecting and converting. They look great, but I'm the only one left of my mates still going strong with it. There are a few who still enjoyed the lore but they were few and far between, especially when it came to army numbers.
Ended up deciding if I wasn't going to do anything, then the models would just gather dust.

Over the next few months I set about building a campaign using the edition we'd played back when we were kids, 4th Edition Killteam rules to be exact. The aim was to make it as easy as possible for them to join in. They bring one squad, I'd provide the grunts, tables, books, terrain, food, etc. They just show up, learn the rules and play some loose games of Kill-team.

Honestly things went better than I expected, got some terrain donated by some mates who'd given up, others brought whatever they had, just made enough for two tables worth.
5 game sessions later with one hectic climax and all that work prior was worth it. Totally worth it.

Now though, I feel like downsizing a fair bit from the 600+ models I have now from old purchases, ebay deals and donations from mates out of the hobby. There's only so much time and enthusiasm that I simply don't have. :(
>>
>>46607137
Ya more photos!
>>
>>46609623
I feel like I'm on the opposite end to you. I just started my first 40k army as IG and I have lots of people to do stuff with alongside plans and such but have nothing really set up.
>>
Started way back with 40k when Sisters were released. They were my first army and are still my favourite, even though GW treated them like shit. At some point at the end of last edition I simply couldn't compete and all the datasheet/formation bullshit got out of hand. I bowed out fo 40k and thought that was it.

Ironically enough AoS of all games relit my spark. My group is mostly guys in their late 20s, starting work and getting families. The system is perfect and I always thought Fantasy miniatures were beautiful.

But 40k? Fuck it. Only thing that would get me back are plastic Sisters.
>>
>>46607055
>Lately I got the feeling I should probably just sell most of the stuff I collected over the years, because I'll never get around to do anything with it anyway.
Everybody who ever does this ends up regretting it. So don't. Just save that shit, box it up and save it.
>>
>>46610354
This.

Unless you really need the space or the money. If you're living in a house of your own, a couple neatly packed boxes in the closet won't hurt anything.
>>
>>46609057
Why so generic anon?
>>
>>46611187
Come on anon, why are you trying to squash other people's creativity? You don't know whether or not his system is generic, and that mini looks good.
>>
>>46609057

Neat.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.