[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sue Kill 2016!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: bloody-mary-sues.jpg (42 KB, 600x132) Image search: [Google]
bloody-mary-sues.jpg
42 KB, 600x132
You must kill that annoying Mary Sue/Gary Stu PC before it derails the game! How do you go about the killing and removal! *

Hard mode: the sue can resurrect by in game rules and must be kept dead.*

Nightmare mode!: the sue can resurrect by any bullshit they want and must be kept dead.*

*All post following these rules will contribute to the killing of actual Mary/Gary Player Characters*
>>
>>46606499
If not the GM, talk to the GM.
If the GM, remove the character.
>>
>Lean over to said player
>Slap them
>"Don't do that"
>Resume play
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17 KB, 680x383
>>46606499
If GM: Kick the player out of the group, make his vampire-sue character the main character in a fiction in-universe book called "Sunset", and constantly make jokes with the rest of the players about how the book is super popular with tweenage noble girls.

If not GM: Leave the group because the GM obviously has no idea what he's doing. Join new group. Suggest the GM make That Guy's character from the group into a character in a fictional in-universe book called 100 Hues of Darkness.
>>
>>46606499
Make the sue want to die. Have everything they set out to do go horribly wrong, then drive home the point that they themselves are causing the trouble, and will continue to burden other people as long as they exist no matter what they do.

Instilling a healthy dose of despair and depression on the player himself can help his character come to the inevitable conclusion.
>>
>>46606499
Winning hearts and minds.
Once a long time ago myself and a few /tg/ fellows joined a free form roleplay with one goal. "Kill the Demon King."
So we roll out, and end up winning over the GM(s) and a few players (Also mary-sues) and after failing to directly fight the Demon King (Imagine 4 balanced imaginative characters being wailed on by a Demon with "Max Stats" and Metal Wings.) we ended up getting him killed by a "Rocks Fall" type situation where he tried to attack "The Vatican" and had his atoms scattered across all of existence. Permanently.
He quit and we disbanded shortly after that.
>>
>>46606499
Go for the player angle, yeah. Blackmail or physical torture of the player works very well. The sue won't come back if the motive force behind it is scared of Mister Claw Hammer.
>>
First, apply hearty slap to player and tell them to stop their shit.

Second, skip the killing part and just go straight to removal. Can't resurrect if you're not technically dead. Just POOF, gone, no muss no fuss.
>>
We may have to start a thread dedicated to dealing with the players who make the Sue's.

I love you guys, keep 'em coming!
>>
>>46606499
>Implying bullets have any actual effect in DBZ-verse
Launch would pepper people often with her gun and the worst damage she cause was a few minor cuts that took a day to heal.
>>
>>46606499
The traditional shovel argument works here. Ask them to stop. If they argue, get a shovel and hit them behind the knees, followed by a hit to the head.

Bury them behind the house, and warn everyone else in your dungeon that it's your house, your rules.
>>
>>46606768
Little off topic but ok. Your forgetting the gun rules of media. They are only as effective as the character using them. Case in point, every storm trooper ever.
>>
File: MeredithQuickColor.png (372 KB, 1050x1400) Image search: [Google]
MeredithQuickColor.png
372 KB, 1050x1400
In my setting, the BBEG of the last campaign was named Meredith Suzette. She had a typical dark and brooding backstory of abuse and incest in a noble family, until she ran away from home, where she met a fallen star. She made a pact with the fallen star to grant a wish, in exchange for hosting the star in her soul while it regained strength.

Unknown to get, the star was Baal-Yamon, the Star of Envy, and it had intentionally maneuvered to her to fulfill its own plans. She became a Star Child, and using the star's power, she went around, finding masters of various crafts and stealing their talents, being better than the best artist, more skillful than the greatest duelist, more canny than the highest chess grandmaster, etc. In addition, her wish was "To be truly loved".

Everywhere sure went, people would fall for her, adore her, and shower her with praise. She lived a life with no sense of responsibility of conception of being in the wrong, and eventually, hit puberty, whereupon the star burst forth from her soul.

This process normally kills the host, but if they survive, they become part star, a source of magic, a Sourceor. She became Meredith The Captivator, whose very presence could instantly brainwash anybody to fall in adulation of her. She tried to take over the world, starting a war that blighted an entire country with magical radiation from other Sourcerors and Gods. She was finally sealed by a small cult which worshiped a God of Hatred, Zarus. 200 years later, the party had to prevent Baal-Yamon from falling once more, which would empower Meredith to break free. They ride a spelljammer into space, and fought and killed the Star, causing Meredith to crumble into dust.

So to answer your question, add spelljammers to your campaign.
>>
File: 1458232019549.jpg (155 KB, 572x615) Image search: [Google]
1458232019549.jpg
155 KB, 572x615
>>46606867
>>
File: im-not-crying-e1324918120575.png (441 KB, 864x490) Image search: [Google]
im-not-crying-e1324918120575.png
441 KB, 864x490
>>46606867
That's almost tragic...almost...
>>
>>46606867
You almost made me pity you sue. I will now eat my hat.
>>
>>46606499
>>
File: mary sue skywalker.jpg (38 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
mary sue skywalker.jpg
38 KB, 768x431
>>46606499
>>
>>46609357
Naa, they're just setting her up to be the villain.
>>
>>46609566
What are you smoking
>>
>>46609586
THE TRUTH!
>>
>>46609566
Epic plot twist! Now kill her before she takes over the setting!
>>
>>46606499
Normal mode: ambush with a lot of damage in a single strike that can't be predicted. A good example would be reverse-pickpocketing with explosives aka the good old Shady Sands Shuffle.
Hard mode: destroy the body, destroy the mind, destroy the soul.
Nightmare mode: take something precious from a Sue that will be destroyed if she doesn't willingly die. Bonus points if his/her sacrifice doesn't matter in the end and the object she cherishes in the end is still destroyed.
>>
File: Casper.jpg (52 KB, 800x1136) Image search: [Google]
Casper.jpg
52 KB, 800x1136
>>46606499
In the game I'm currently playing in, one of the other PCs is a ghost who can possess other people at will and has a dozen other overpowered magical abilities. He has a million immunities from being a ghost but no drawbacks whatsoever - he can interact with solid object selectively, so he can stab you with a sword but can choose not to get injured when other people stab him. He literally can't stay dead - anything that kills him, in any way, would just result in him coming back a few days later no worse for wear. Not that he's ever died in-game, but it's listed as an ability on his character sheet.

The only way to perma-kill them would be to trap their soul somehow, which the party has no way of accessing because the ghost killed the only person in the world who knew how to cast that kind of magic.

I should also mention that the player is completely impervious to guilt-trips, has no shame, refuses to ever let the party do anything he doesn't want them to do, and if he doesn't get his way in-game he will whine to the GM until he caves. His character is also strong enough to kill the entire party by himself without taking damage, and he's threatened other players OOC in the past that not only will he kill their characters if they oppose him, but that he will continue to kill them off unless they make a character that 'plays nice with him and lets him do what he wants'.

Killing his character off is impossible. You can't even guilt them or take something they care about, because the character doesn't care about anyone or anything but himself. So, instead I try to mess with him as much as possible - ignoring his character's tragic backstory, never paying attention to anything he does, that sort of thing. It doesn't work, but at least I get some meagre catharsis out of it.
>>
>>46609883
>Killing his character off is impossible.

So kill off his player.
>>
>>46609883
Kick that asshole out of the group.
>>
>>46609883
Hmm. Have the caving DM Introduce a few magical items. Or better yet, a hungry lich, a few equally powered ghost, and on hungry looking phylactery. ):D
>>
>no, you can't be tiefling
>this? This is just the Npc I control neko-kitsune tiefling super paladin
>what's superpaladin? A special class only him can have
>no, you can't be totem barbarian either because it's furry
>>
File: Casper.jpg (17 KB, 450x306) Image search: [Google]
Casper.jpg
17 KB, 450x306
>>46609920
Very funny.

>>46609963
Not really an option. See, the GM and one of the other players really like That Guy as a person, and outside of his obnoxious character and roleplaying he's a pretty cool dude. I don't have the authority to kick That Guy from the group, and if I did it would split the whole group in half, which sucks because I've been RPing with these people for about three years and (aside from That Guy) they're the best group I've ever had.

Basically I'm just waiting out the campaign, watching the bullshit level rise with each session and hoping that eventually everyone else wises up and either forces That Guy to knock it off, or they just kick him out.

>>46610013
The GM is still new to running campaigns, and has told me in private that he realizes how awful That Guy's character is but he can't bring himself to nerf the ghost or perma-kill him because That Guy would probably quit the game, and he doesn't want that to happen. He's tried to nerf the ghost's abilities but every time he brings it up That Guy whines and complains until he gets to keep everything. The last time the GM tried the ghost actually got MORE powers instead of less, and I have no idea how the hell that happened.
>>
>>46610149
Once that's over have your GM run nothing but very strict point systems so he can't just make up powers.
>>
>>46609883
>>46610149
>Yeah, this group is great except for the one guy who dominates and ruins the entire game each time.
>>
>>46610149

>(aside from That Guy) they're the best group I've ever had.

Aside from the assassination, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
>>
>>46606499
>You must kill that annoying Mary Sue/Gary Stu PC before it derails the game! How do you go about the killing and removal! *

As the GM, I tell the player "No" right at character creation, and with that the PC is banished to a prison plane where their bullshit powers don't work and they cannot escape from while the universe rewrites itself to remove all evidence that the sue ever existed.
>>
>>46610149
>nerf the ghost or perma-kill him because That Guy would probably quit the game
-and that's bad because?
>>
>>46610149
>Very funny.

I'm serious. Dead serious

>>46610659
>and that's bad because?

Presumably, the group will break up because of the player quitting.
>>
>>46610703
>Presumably, the group will break up because of the player quitting.
Question: Exactly how certain is Anon of this? Because I've had someone quit because I demanded he make some compromises to his character concept thinking his buddies would leave too but they were all like "Naw man, we're staying" and a good time was had by all, except that guy, who left and did not partake of the fun.
>>
>>46606499
>DBZ characters complaining about Mary Sues
Pot, meet Kettle.
>>
Well my anonymous friends, and critics of one picture, without the presence of a DM with reasonable amount of spine. What options do the players have of making ghostboy sue squirm? Stories are worth a pat on the head.
>>
>>46611577
>What options do the players have of making ghostboy sue squirm?
well, in pathfinder ghosts fall into the undead category, Undead are injured by positive energy, as far as I know this will still affect incorporeal creatures, so, in theroy, if someone rolled-up a cleric, they could periodically do a positive energy burst to "heal" the party of their injuries while doing massive damage to the undead ghost, when called out on this, just play dumb, like you just keep forgetting that his character is undead and is hurt by positive energy. Or conversely "the rest of the party is badly injured, what else was I to do?"

Perhaps slip the DM a $20.00 to make sure that he provides the group no other alternatives to healing so this issue is never resolved
>>
>>46611577
Just talk to the player and let him know that you don't appreciate the character, that it's actively making the game worse for everyone involved, and you want to have fun playing, not watching his super special magic ghost man solve every problem. If he's really a decent guy, as you say, he'll be willing to change it or give it up.

Also, take off your name and quit acting so edgy, son, you're mostly just embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>46611794
>Just talk to the player and let him know that you don't appreciate the character, that it's actively making the game worse for everyone involved, and you want to have fun playing, not watching his super special magic ghost man solve every problem. If he's really a decent guy, as you say, he'll be willing to change it or give it up.
according to Anon, his GM already tried that and the result was that the Ghost somehow wound-up becoming even more of a broken Mary Sue than before.
>>
>>46611839
There's a difference between saying "your character is too strong, I need to nerfing him", and telling him that he as a player is ruining the game.
>>
>>46606499

If you are the gm, and the player is a mary sue in character, but not absolutely minmaxed to godlike-power, then make them realize that their mary sue antics aren't going to work. Yes, you need to roll that skill check. No, they aren't going to love you because you're soooo beautiful. No, i don't care if your backstory says you're a ten thousand year old god, you're level one like the rest of the players and you're built accordingly. There's a chance that the player doesn't know better, and by putting them through a normal character's life, they may grow out of it. If they can't minmax, then that's a decent sign that they don't really know what they're doing, or think they can do without it.

If GM and the character IS minmaxed to all get out, then talk to the player about it, and tell them that they aren't the only player, and even then, they can't do literally everything. A person who will pitch a fit over this is typically not somebody you want in your game, and some people actually don't know better. Remember, as GM, you hold control. No matter how much of a mary sue they make, they can't actually take that from you.

If a player with a mary sue who is not minmaxed, talk to the player, and hope the GM doesn't indulge them. If the gm doesn't, there's a chance that they might come around to making better characters.

If a player and the sue is minmaxed, talk to the player as above, as well as share concerns with the GM. If it is a blatant problem and the Gm is decent, they can handle it. If the GM isn't decent, well, now you know to find another group.

Remember, this all hinges on them actually being a sue and not just a perccieved sue. Make sure you think it through carefully. You might just not like that person.
>>
Here's a horrible scenario.

No DM
At least one other player loyal to the Sue/Stu
And the group has your favorite pizza brand delivered nightly.*

Start your Scheming!

(*yes, pizza can be code for adult entertainment*)
>>
>>46610149
So the problem is that he is an unkillable ghost, right?
You just have to convince the GM to resurrect him
>>
File: yoga face.png (649 KB, 692x698) Image search: [Google]
yoga face.png
649 KB, 692x698
>>46606499
create a plot device where interdimensional invaders are coming ti your universe and disguising themselves as people. the disguises are perfect. too perfect. every invader just happens to be the best at everything, and everybody loves them.
it starts a witch hunt and the world turns against itself. the only way to prove you aren't an invader is by displaying a weakness, and it has to be a real weakness, not some cute, endearing bullshit. anyone who can't pass the test gets burned alive.
>>
>>46606598
>Join a new group

Not possible for people who live in the smallest of small fuck towns.
>>
>>46606499
Impossible. It's an impossible situation.

See, the only way someone can be a mary sue in a tabletop game is if the gm is indulging them. So long as the GM is on their side you can't really do jack shit aside from appeal to them or leave the game.
>>
>>46617427
Please take me to this magical realm.
>>
Bury the Sue in concrete and bury her/throw her into the sea. She can resurrect all she wants, but always trapped.
>>
>>46617618
She'll come back. The world itself is on her side. She is Right and you are the evil one for doing that to her and will be punished, if not by her than by the invisible hand of fate.
>>
>>46610149
What about asking the GM if you can play as a Catholic Exorcist or something? Basically a character who has a reason to have every preparation and protection against ghostly shenanigans.
>>
>>46609883

When in Rome...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Make your own ghost character. After all, if ghosts OP, then there's no reason *not* to be a ghost yourself. Then beat him at his own game. Best part is, you might be able to get the others to follow your lead, since now Goku and Vegeta are the only relevant characters.

Alternatively, buy a voice recorder and make him listen to himself whining and threatening other party members when he's not in a Tabletop state of mind.
>>
>>46606499
why kill? Setup some chatbots with voice interfaces and auto-feed some stupid fanfiction. Pretend its the "new-game-that-we-all-can-play-from-home" and have fun with the rest.
>>
>>46610149
The solution is simple, make him kill your character. Your character comes back with the ghost archetype and out-ghost him to irritate him to the point where that template is gone for good.

Alternatively, all ghost group. Everyone will be special and thus no one will be.
>>
>>46606934
>>46606966
Her greed and arrogance brought it on herself. The abusive backstory... Well...

Look, my ex-girlfriend told me all about her terrible mother starving her, pushing her out, driving her to the brink of suicide and trying to kill her two cats. When I offered about a dozen different ways for her to escape and have the life she wanted, however fast or slow she wanted... Nothing.

A lot of 'abusive backstories' are a Mary Sue desperately trying to find some justification for why they can act like assholes. Take that lie or offer them a way out and they won't take it, because then they'll have to be responsible for themselves and their faults and God knows, they can't have that!
>>
Kill them with something that would logically kill them. If they try to bullshit their way out of it just explain to them that if their character can survive being stabbed to death then so can every single one of our enemies.
>>
Having dealt with 3 Sues in the past for freeform RP, and getting ideas from the thread, my personal favorite tactics are Magical Realm and Average Joe.

Magical Realm is more rewarding but takes a lot of set up. Find out what the Sue despises most and try to steer the plot to it, but dont be obvious about it. Make it so theres dozens of hours of RP into it and only in the final moments do they realize that you've lead them to a druid beastiality orgy, any attempts to get out of this will cause all the other hours of investment to be lost forever, they must either squirm or end the game of their own will.
My proudest moment desu

Average Joe is to make a character that totally adheres to normal reaity and is thus unphased by any magical bullshit because it cannot physically exist. You will be totally boring, yet negate the amazing Sue world around you because it doesnt make any goddamn sense. Nothing can be allowed and you need to be smart enough IRL to explain why on every level the Sue should not exist to the other members. The Sue will rage out cause you wont play along or at least you solely will be immune from the shenanigans.

>Or we can be responsible adults and just not play and do something productive with our lives instead of whining about random dumbasses
>>
>>46617541
Playing online isn't really bad and scratches the itch. If you really must play in person though just get some of your actually chill friends to play with you, if the group you're in are your chill friends then you should be able to call them out on their shit.
>>
>>46619219
I have a different strategy. A person who is immune and completely bypasses all of the Mary sue's defenses and attacks for the low-low price of "He's just a investigator with a revolver". This also applies to all other Mary/Gary Sues.
>>
>>46619468
His only weakness. Well-rounded and interesting characters.
>>
>>46619468
Batman???
>>46619515
Kek
>>
File: Casper.jpg (72 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
Casper.jpg
72 KB, 638x479
>>46610201
Not a bad idea, shame it can't fix the current campaign's problems.

>>46610659
As >>46610703 said, the group would break up and the rest of them are good people I enjoy spending time with.

>>46613864
>>46618405
Full-on resurrection isn't possible in the campaign. Ghosts are 'usually' just the souls of dead folk hanging around for a bit before they pass on to the afterlife. His character got brought back from the afterlife by a god, who apparently is willing to bring him back as many times as it takes for him to complete the group's Main Quest.

This also means that any-one else who tries to make a ghost character will just end up a harmless spectre that'll pass on to the afterlife after a few hours, because they don't have That Guy's deific mojo backing them up.

>>46617675
My first character was actually an exorcist, I had to retire him three sessions into the game because That Guy refused to stop murdering people with his ghost powers and the GM has a strict 'no inter-party murder' rule. That Guy also didn't like the idea of my character having any power over his and whined to the GM about it until I was politely asked to make a new one.

>>46619219
My current character is actually an Average Joe who refuses to believe that ghosts like That Guy can exist, and who basically just rolls his eyes and ignores That Guy every time he whips out some new overpowered ghost power or starts droning on about his thousand years of torment in the afterlife and how it drove him to be the Chaotic Evil asshole he is today.
>>
>>46622706

>That Guy also didn't like the idea of my character having any power over his and whined to the GM about it until I was politely asked to make a new one.

Does this player have any redeeming features whatsoever? The more you talk about him, the more he seems like an immature manchild who uses the game as a vehicle for his masturbatory power fantasies. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about how his actions affect anyone else at the table.
>>
>>46618571

>>46606867
Here

In her case, her backstory wasn't necessarily the cause of her actions, although it made her vulnerable. Baal-Yamon simply helped along her own envy, pride, and bullheadedness. It could be forgiven, maybe, in another time, and had things gone differently, maybe she could have grown out of her childish nature, but she just got worse and worse, and it was never clear how much was her, how much was the Star's influence. Children can be the cruelest of them all, and "living forever" means you never have to grow up.
>>
If you can successfully kill it then it was never a mary sue in the first place. It's sort of like that old witch test where you throw a woman into a lake to see if she floats or not. If she drowns it means she wasn't a witch.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.