[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I have a question. What's the most lethal system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 1448221279552.gif (3 MB, 636x356) Image search: [Google]
1448221279552.gif
3 MB, 636x356
Hey /tg/, I have a question.

What's the most lethal system you played? I'm looking for a system to run a post-apoc game and I found that weapons (Specifically firearms) are underwhelming in their lethality. Finding ammo isn't nearly as great when it means that one shotgun shell they find won't even put down a mook.

Pic not really related.
>>
>He hasn't tried Savage Worlds yet

Put down what you're doing and go get the book.
>>
>>46603111
Shadowrun is pretty lethal. Most of the times I've played, damage was either "your dermal plating absorbs the hit" or being spaghetti on the walls.

I'm afraid I've not played many other dangerous systems beyond that. I've heard that RuneQuest is quite lethal, for example, but don't have firsthand experience.
>>
>>46603172
Savage Worlds is a bit of an interesting one in that a single bad roll can outright kill you, but you can do much more with the same kinds of success.

It also lacks a lot of mechanical depth sadly and the whole quick death usually makes people go combat focused as much as possible I find.
>>
>>46603111
Metamorphosis Alpha
TSR Gamma World
Twilight 2000
>>
Okay, fucking exCUSE me.

WHAT IS THIS GIF FROM?
>>
>>46603111
>What's the most lethal system you played?
Call of Cthulhu, 6th edition.
>>
>>46603111
Legend of the Five Rings. Good lord I have a stack of characters that have died attempting to make names of themselves.
>>
File: Splitting_your_Dice_Pool.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Splitting_your_Dice_Pool.webm
3 MB, 800x450
I've heard good things about Degenesis. Apparently when people pull out guns, deaths occur shortly thereafter.
>>
>>46603793
I've heard that people die quickly in Dogs in the Vineyard as well. It's just up to the PCs (or occasionally NPCs) to escalate conflicts up to gunplay. Also, presumptions in DitV might not fit the game style that OP intends.
>>
>>46603172
Savage Worlds is an okay system that's just one generic system on top of a massive list of generic systems that can also do its job. It's not the second coming of Christ, chill.

If you want to go for lethal, Traveller is up there in terms of lethality, though I don't think it would work too well for a post apocalypse game.
>>
>>46603172
>>46603235
>>46604217
Savage Worlds was my backup, but I feel it can be done better. That relies more on an element of chance of exploding dice rather than reliable deadliness.

>>46603253
I'll take a look at these.

>>46603940
I saw that system, and it looked pretty cool, but yeah, it sadly doesn't fit the style.

>>46604217
Traveller also looked good, as the damage was reliably lethal when you don't have appropriate armor, but chargen outside of the established setting would be a nightmare.
>>
>>46603111
It's not post apoc, but my experience playing The Riddle of Steel was punctuated by more brutal and frequent PC and NPC death than any other game I've played. Pretty much if you get hit with a sword or an axe your shit is fucked.
>>
Orbis Aerden reign of the accursed will be pretty lethal desu once it comes out.
>>
Dark Heresy.
>>
>>46603111
Gut Shadowrun for the appropriate level of tech but keep the combat rules t5
the same. Watch people drop like flies.
>>
>>46603544
this
source on the gif please
>>
>>46605561
>>46603544

Video on Vimeo, it's a viking animation.

You'll have to do some keywrods searching and what not until I can find it and post it.
>>
>>46603111
Deadlands Wasted West: Hell on Earth (original not savage worlds)

Bullets and explosions are equally deadly to PCs as mooks. Bullets are literally the exchange currency in the majority or the wastes. Huge amounts of depth and backstory in the system and you can use as much or as little as you like.
>>
>>46605574
>>46605561
>>46603544
Found it-

Odin's Afterbirth

https: vimeo com 136119345
>>
>>46603111
Ops and Tactics.

Check 1d4chan.
>>
Heavy Gear/Jovian Chronicles/Tribe 8's Silhouette system has a rep for lethality. It has 3 wound thresholds for damage. Flesh Wound, Deep Wound and Instant Kill.
>>
>>46604628
This. All the Riddle of Steel-likes are like this.

OP, if you're looking for guns, look at the game Call of The Void in the OP of the Swords threads. It's Riddle of Steel applied to firearms autism rather than medieval autism, and has the same level of lethality. Get in cover or die.
>>
File: Equipment & Quickref.jpg (2 MB, 1773x1928) Image search: [Google]
Equipment & Quickref.jpg
2 MB, 1773x1928
>>46603111
Traveller. 1 shot from a basic pistol can knock you unconscious if you're not wearing armor.

Things like assault rifles can kill you in one shot.

Its a sci fi system, but sci fi usually covers many tech levels, from medieval to modern to futuristic. It does all of these very well, and I've run vikings, napoleonics, and chechenya one-shots with it to great success.
>>
>>46603111
FFG's 40k games are horibly lethal if you don't hand out full body armor to everyone.
>>
>>46603111
Mortal campaign of exalted...2e.....yeah..
>>
>>46606726
And if you play DH 1e, it's pretty much a guarantee the only person with proper full body armor is the Guardsman.
>>
>>46603111
>>
File: ThinkingOfThings.png (6 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
ThinkingOfThings.png
6 KB, 600x450
>>46603111
One of my friends went into a sperg rage once because he got one-shot by a 9mm handgun (hit in the head). System was GURPS. Oh, yeah, and the firearms in the game are just as capable of grazing you as they are of making you go completely unconcious after one shot. Hits to the vitals or head, of course, are ordinarily fatal.
>>
>>46604217
Traveller is fucking awful in general
>>
>>46604628

This.
RoS is also a system where a guy wielding only a shield and an armored gauntlet who only punches kneecaps was a viable and effective character
>>
>>46603111
Play MiniSix but decrease the wound ranges. Or play what I've heard called WHFRPG Hardcore Mode: You don't use wounds. Any attacks that go through soak get rolled on the critical tables.
>>
>>46603111
Star Wars D6 2E Revised edition. Most suits of armor in the core rulebook offer little protection against energy weapons, which are incredibly abundant. I've had players go from "pefectly fine" to "dead, really dead" in a matter of a single attack.
>>
>>46610378
Okay, before I get all flustered for no reason, answer my question:
Which one?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.