[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mutants & Masterminds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10
So I played this today for the first time, and there are some rules I'm unsure about. Using 2e since one of us bought that a while back.

First, when do you do power checks? Do you do an opposed Invisibility vs Spot when using that power to go invisible in front of someone? Also is someone with superhearing unaffected by invisibility, or is there some check there like Superhearing vs Stealth? I was made to do a medium DC Invis check to make my clothes invisible as well but succeeding that I just shot people without them being able to see me and while that was against scrubs if there is a villain without powers countering that it seems very strong.

Is the max save amount including equipment, so someone with +10 CON wearing platemail would gain nothing from the +6 toughness?

How do you down people with ranged attacks? Just shoot again and again to bruise more and more to eventually get them?

How do Duplicates take actions? Do they have their turn on your initiative? I can create up to 5 with one action. Do they then get an action after being created, or do they have to wait until next round?
>>
Bump. Any good podcasts or anything to get a feel for how the game should be played?
>>
File: cap_america_v1_405_04_rougher.jpg (350 KB, 967x1423) Image search: [Google]
cap_america_v1_405_04_rougher.jpg
350 KB, 967x1423
Courtesy bump
>>
File: dc 1000000 80pg giant 15.jpg (382 KB, 800x1249) Image search: [Google]
dc 1000000 80pg giant 15.jpg
382 KB, 800x1249
>>
>>46600943
Max save is including everything, and based on Power Level. It doesn't matter if the character bumped up their Fortitude save directly, bumped up their Constitution, picked up feats, or any other method. The character's save can only go up to the max save value.

If hitting someone doesn't work, hit them harder. If you're talking about someone flying with laser eyes, then yeah, your grounded characters probably can't do much outside throwing objects at them. I'd recommend against flying laser-eye BBEGs if that's the case, though.

I don't recall the rules to power checks and Duplicates, and I'm away from book so can't confirm. You'll find the occasional conflict or something which doesn't come up, although the rules for spotting invisible characters should be in either the Invisibility power section or the Spot/Listen skill section of the rules. Superhearing, I assume, would either be covered in Superhearing or the more general Spot/Listen rules.
>>
>>46604389
Thanks a lot! Since you didn't adress power checks, are they done only when the power calls for it or if an enemy actively tries to oppose it with a skill?

The ranged attack thing was because I have a guy using a blaster pistol and even with +5 damage it's so much less than melee-focused guys that have +15 and stuff. Hasn't been a problem yet with only 1 session but I was curious.
>>
>>46605121
>The ranged attack thing was because I have a guy using a blaster pistol and even with +5 damage it's so much less than melee-focused guys that have +15 and stuff.
Yeah, that's kind of a problem with the system. For your numbered stats, you typically want to max them out because they won't do too much otherwise. The blaster is probably still functional (especially if it's the only ranged weapon in the party) and can be used for tricky things like damaging chains holding things steady, or other non-direct things the player might want to do.

Sorry, I don't much remember power checks either. I think it is done whenever the power calls for it or when the roll is necessary, such as when actively opposed. If an enemy actively opposes a power, then there needs to be a DC of some sort for them to oppose. It would either be something set in the rules, or just roll for the power.

If you are curious about invisibility specifically, I think that Spot states that you can identify an invisible target somewhere nearby with a DC 20 roll, although cannot locate where they are. You might want to make that just a power check roll for the invisibility power, though, if the DC 20 seems too low or somehow unfair. (You probably just want to keep it as "detect there is something unseen nearby" as opposed to outright spotting the character, unless it's something like Superhearing.)
>>
File: Maxed Out Man.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Maxed Out Man.pdf
1 B, 486x500
a blaster pistol does +5 damage, not much more than a heavy pistol. if you are PL 10, others can hit twice as hard. If they lower their attack bonus they can hit even harder.

I also think the caps are being exceeded.

Get Herolab. the demo version will do, just copy the info with a pencil after you do the build.
>>
>I was made to do a medium DC Invis check to make my clothes invisible as well but succeeding that I just shot people without them being able to see me and while that was against scrubs if there is a villain without powers countering that it seems very strong.

Concealment comes in various amounts of awesome. You could have concealment from all senses while still attacking or all the way down to having to stand still and make separate rolls for yourself and then your equipment. It could even be further reduced to visual and only effective on cameras or humans or just animals. It depends on how you build the power.
>>
File: Maxed Out Man II.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Maxed Out Man II.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here are 2 different Invisibilities

You could add the Flaw: Check Required to the really powerful Concealment power to make it cost 11 points.

Depending on the game the GM SHOULD restrict certain powers to fit the setting.
Time Travel is a good example.
Our poster child 'Max' is toting a little device that raises the dead, possibly hundreds or thousands a day. Probably not what you want for your game.
>>
This is my first time in a M&M thread.
How do alternate powers work? can you buy as many as you want? they're fuckign cheap as fuck, am I reading it wrong? 2e btw.
>>
>>46608262
The total sum of alternate power points you can have is equal to the first. They are still exclusive use and you cant have permanent powers as alternate.
>>
>>46608262
Each alternate power increases the overall cost of the power by 1 point.
You can only use 1 power at a time.

A good GM will require a sensible theme, not just everything thrown in a jumble.

I have Herolab and experience, if anon asked for a device or power built, I might have the time.

The pdf thread has lots of M&M
>>
>>46600943
Power checks are used most commonly when one power directly competes against another, ie: someone tries to counter your heat vision with their plasma blast. Most of the time it doesn't come up.

Max saves are based on your PL only. The system does not care how you got to the max save, only that you got there. Assuming no trade-offs on a PL 10 character, if a guy has a +10 Toughness save from his Constitution score only, him putting on armor to increase his Toughness save is actually breaking PL caps and is not allowed. A DM can get around this most commonly by saying "your character is already bullet-proof, throwing on chainmail does jack shit."

Ranged attacks work exactly like any melee attack, only guess what, it's at range. Assuming you're using a Damage effect, each failed save your opponent has gives them a Bruise, which imposes a -1 penalty on each subsequent save so that they eventually go down. The more likely scenario however is that they get a shitty roll and you drop them. Also worth noting, Power Attack is the best feat in the game besides Luck, you should invest the 1pp into taking it. Likewise, all those Startle/Taunt/Demoralize/Bluff skills that can be used to strip Defense off of someone? Really good.

Duplicates take their turn on your action. When they poof into existence, they have all of their actions available to them since they haven't acted yet.

A related note on Duplicates, since they have a tendancy to bog down combat with multiple actions, you may want to talk with your DM about using the Mass Combat rules for them. Or, you may want to use the "Summon Duplicates" descriptor for other powers. Ie: your Area Damage power is actually you summoning a swarm of dupes to go beat up everything in the area, etc.
>>
>>46607003
This is where Trade-offs come into play. A starting PL 10 character using a blaster pistol that has +5 damage, should be have an attack roll of +15, otherwise they are not hitting caps. You might not do much damage, but you *will* hit the guy. If you're making that attack roll with a +10 bonus "because I'm PL 10" grats, you're bad at math. You're actually only PL 7.5 offensively. You're not under powered, you fundamentally misunderstood the system.

Your attack bonus and the effect bonus of a given power or ability should average out to be your PL. Doing so is called "hitting caps". So at PL 10, with trade-offs (most DM's limit trade-offs to +/- 5 so I'll use that analogy here) your attack bonus and effect bonus should fall between +5 and +15. If one of them is under 10, the other should be over 10 by that same amount.
>>
>>46608262
There are two different types of arrays (aka alternate powers).
1. Normal Alternate Powers - A character has access to every power in the array, but only one at a time. Think of it like your loadout in an old-school FPS; you might have a dozen different guns, but you can only use one at a time. Each setting in that array has a maximum effect budget equal to the most costly effect in the array. Ie: if the primary power in the array costs 20, no other effect in the array can cost more than 20. Each additional setting in the array costs 1pp. Therefore the final cost is equal to the primary power's effect cost + (1 x number of Alternate Powers).

Blast 10 {20pp}
AP: Dazzle (visual) 10 {20pp}
AP: Fire Control 10 {20pp}
AP: Strike//Damage 15 {15pp}

This array costs 23pp, 20 for the main effect, and 3 for the 3 additional effects. Side note: the last effect is Melee rather than Ranged. For this character to not break caps their attack bonus with the Strike should be +5, but +10 with the others.
>>
>>46608867
2. Dynamic Alternate Powers - There are effects where each effect in the array can be on at the same time, but they share the same power pool, so they have a diminished effect with each other power is active. You'll most commonly find this effect on Flight//Super-Strength arrays for flying bricks. A Dynamic array follows the same rules for a regular Array like I outlined above. The main difference being that the settings aren't all or nothing, you can allocate some of your power points to one power and the rest to another or instance, but you only have a pool equal to the cost of the highest costed setting in the array (at max value, but not including the pp to make it Dynamic). Additionally each effect in the array that you want to be Dynamic costs 1 additional pp, including the primary power. You can have a regular AP in this array, but if that effect is active, then no other effect in the array can be active.

Flying 8 PF: Dynamic
DAP: Super-Strength 8
DAP: Quickness 16

This array costs 21pp, 16 for the primary power, 1 to make the primary power Dynamic and 4 for the two additional Dynamic Alternate Powers. With this array, you have 16pp to allocate between Flight, Super-Strength and Quickness each round and can change that allocation as a free action once per round. So you could have Flight 8 one round, Super-Strength 8 the next (but hopefully you were on the ground before turning off your Flight) and Flight 3, Super-Strength 3 and Quickness 4 the round after that.
>>
File: super rack.jpg (274 KB, 650x943) Image search: [Google]
super rack.jpg
274 KB, 650x943
>>46608627
>>46608697
>>46608867
>>46609073
Very nice, thanks
>>
>>46608124
Yeah we just saw that it couldn't be ranked up and stuff, even if it said it was effectively Concealment I didn't check it then. Got herolab now, will get everyone to use it.

>>46608627
Thanks, with Power Attack it doesn't seem that bad since melee damage gets maxed pretty quickly.
>>
File: Loup Garou.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Loup Garou.pdf
1 B, 486x500
From a 30's Pulp/Supers game
>>
File: Loup Garou 2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Loup Garou 2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
alt form of same guy
>>
File: Loup Garou.jpg (235 KB, 465x720) Image search: [Google]
Loup Garou.jpg
235 KB, 465x720
>>
File: ManOfSteel78p05.jpg (127 KB, 967x1480) Image search: [Google]
ManOfSteel78p05.jpg
127 KB, 967x1480
>like capeshit
>/co/ is variably /tv/ 2.0 or /pol/ 5.0

JUST
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.