[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mecha Space Pirate Quest IV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 37
File: Starwind 3.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Starwind 3.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
Welcome back, to the fourth installment of Mecha Space Pirate Quest.

For those who are just joining us, previous threads are here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Mecha%20Space%20Pirate%20Quest

Last time, you blooded your as-of-yet nameless mech with an UJCIDF Pumpkinseed by ripping it apart with your powerful arm servos and claiming its red mohawk crest as a trophy. You believe you may also have made a friend, and an enemy, in the other two pilots. Now, at last, you've returned to your home base, the armored Heavy Striker troop carrier of the Iron Kestrels.

Your mech touches down on the remaining left-wing bay with a clunk. You see members of the Iron Kestrels everywhere in their black shades and black leather jackets, scurrying around repairing Harpies and damaged parts of the ship, but what dominates the bay is Captain Ozark's Master Harpy. Smaller than your new machine, but still towering head and shoulders over the other Harpies, in human form it has a head like a bishop's miter with a crescent-shaped eyeslit in its blank-faced head. At least, that's how it normally looks. The front of the chest and the cockpit in the lower portion of the head have been crushed like a cheap can, with a wide vertical gash across both servos that leaves the interior mechanisms exposed. Medical equipment on hover carts surrounds the damaged machine like a constellation of plastic and chrome, tubes and wires snaking their way into the cockpit. Beyond that are circles of candles, with small clusters of flowers and individual tokens from the surviving Kestrels.

It's a bad sign, but you were prepared for this after talking to Miles and Richard. What you weren't as prepared for was being hugged three times before you can take your first step down off the liftwire, and being bombarded with questions as to how you survived and what your new machine is.

[Continued]
>>
File: Starwind 2.png (101 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
Starwind 2.png
101 KB, 300x360
Since you're back in your home territory, you've forgone civilian clothing for your white pilot suit and black leather jacket with a white falcon on the back to denote your status as an Iron Kestrel officer. As always, you have your aviator shades, and the hand cannon that Captain Ozark made you carry as part of your duties.

The name you were considering for your mech on the way back from Colony 1 was Knuckle Kaiser, but a last-minute change of heart could alter that name.

>Talk to the crew.
>Find Miles and Richard
>Visit the Master Harpy
>>
>>46599148
>>Visit the Master Harpy
>>
>>46599148
The waifuing begins!

>Visit the Master Harpy
We need to see him before the end.
>>
File: Matlock[1].jpg (76 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Matlock[1].jpg
76 KB, 1200x675
You're happy to see everyone again, and as First Mate you're the authority figure they've needed, but you have your priorities. You politely turn down any questions and make your way through the crowd, clapping backs and shaking hands when needed but still making firm, forward progress. You take care not to knock over any of the candles or step on any of the flowers as you make your way over to the Captain's downed mech.

Ironically, it's easy to climb in its current state, the crumpled metal giving you plenty of footholds as you clamber up to the cockpit. Inside, you see the reason for the unusual display.

The cockpit has been crushed around Captain Ozark like a fist. Tubes snake their way into the mess of tangled, bloody metal, and he has an oxygen mask covering his face. The continued hiss of air through the pipe is the only thing telling you that he's still alive. It doesn't take any sort of medical professional to realize why he's still in the cockpit, the metal piercing him is the only thing keeping his body in one piece.

He stirs as you approach, and look up, "Dude McCool? Guess this really is it...figures that you look better dead than I do alive." He manages to crack a smile, revealing that the battle knocked out most of his teeth.
>>
>>46599579

>What say?
>>
>>46599601
Yep. I'm a ghost only reason I still look this good Cap.

But seriously what happens to the Kestrels now?
>>
Those bastards will pay, captain. Rest and get better.

Then go raid those feddie ships for some cutting edge medical cellular regeneration tube/tanks.
>>
>>46599601
>"People always look better in hindsight, Cap. It's looking ahead that's always the hardest for people like us. And you've always had the best vision among all of us. What would you say our next heading'll be, Captain?"
>>
File: Matlock[1].jpg (24 KB, 595x334) Image search: [Google]
Matlock[1].jpg
24 KB, 595x334
"Only a ghost could look this good, Captain." You salute, and he makes a gurgling sound that might be a chuckle.

"So they weren't lying to make me feel better, you really did survive. God wouldn't be able to forgive a sense of humor like yours, and you don't look like a devil."

"Sir...we'll get them. We'll wipe them out, just rest and get better, we can raid a hospital or a medical ship and get the supplies to make you better. All we need is your next order. What'll our heading be, Captain?"

He's shaking his head, "I'm not Captain anymore. There's no 'getting better' for me, not anymore. Doctor Cohen says I have a few days left, but to tell the truth I don't relish feeling like this for even a few more hours. I'm leaving the job to you, Roarke, and it's a damned selfish thing of me to do...but I'm hoping you'll take one last order from the man who put you in a Harpy cockpit. I don't want to fade away, to feel my mind slip even further and my body go number than it already is. To tell the truth, Roarke, I'm scared. Scared I'll lose my composure at the end. I want it to be clean...do you understand what I mean?"

>Do you?
>>
>>46600011
>Nod.
>"Do you need time to say your goodbyes?"
After all, the way of a pirate is to catch death before death catches you.
>>
>>46600011
>>46600162
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (36 KB, 720x408) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
36 KB, 720x408
"Do you need any time to say your goodbyes?"

"Anyone I had left to settle things with, I've already talked to." He coughs, red speckling the inside of the oxygen mask, "Damn it, Dude, hurry it up already!"

You take off your sunglasses.

The gunshot rings out once, cold and clear. It seems to echo around the bay more times than it should. You put your sunglasses back on, hoping they hide your expression, and say one final goodbye to the man who made you into a space pirate. First Mate Roarke Starwind was the one who climbed up, but the man who climbs down from the Master Harpy is a Captain. Such is the way of things among pirates. The Kestrels are waiting in a double line for you. The moment your boots touch ground, little Miles Longshadow clacks her heels together and salutes as crisply as she can, "Captain on deck!"

As you pass by, they salute. All twenty four of the surviving pilots, twelve on each side, and the hundred-fifty-plus members of the Rhinehawk's crew itself standing outside the line.

[Continued]
>>
File: HarlockSpacePirate_3[1].jpg (207 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
HarlockSpacePirate_3[1].jpg
207 KB, 1296x730
You are now Captain Roarke S. Starwind of the Iron Kestrels, age 26. You have the right to rename them, or your ship, and now possess the facilities to repair and upgrade your machine.

>Say a few words. If so, what?
>Get straight to business, time to make the ship and mecha ready and return to making money.
>>
>>46600820
>>Get straight to business, time to make the ship and mecha ready and return to making money.
>>
>Say a few word

Its been a real shitty day for the Iron Kestrels lets lift up there spirits
>>
>>46600875
>If so, what?
>>
>>46600820
>"Let us envy the dead for they have better company now. And when you drink next raise a toast that well make for better company tomorrow than we are today for when its our time to go."
>Then business time.
>>
>>46600820
>"There's a lot of things I'd like to say. But pirates like us speak with deeds, not words. Remember Ozark by his. For us still left, we're got his example to aim for - and then some! So we'll have something to boast about when we meet him in Hell! Up and at 'em, lads! There's work to be done!"
>>
>>46600820
>Say a few words. If so, what?
Talk about the good captain, motivate the men, try and get their spirits up to not only make the old man proud, but to forge ahead and get justice done. Make the Kestrels a name that would make any green skull's teeth chatter and their knees shake. Show those Green Skulls that they are nothing more than Yellow Bellies! But to do that, we need to bulk up, get good, organize build ourselves up and soften them up as well.
>>
Oh, and someone roll me a 1d10+11 (Cool plus Oratory)
>>
Rolled 8 + 11 (1d10 + 11)

>>46601107
done. Here ya go.
>>
Rolled 4 + 11 (1d10 + 11)

>>46601107
>>
Rolled 4 + 11 (1d10 + 11)

>>46601107
>>
Rolled 2 + 11 (1d10 + 11)

>>46601107
Hey QM, mind if I link this on /wqdt/ again?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (36 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
36 KB, 225x350
If it was just you, you'd get straight to business, but you're a pilot and an officer and made of sterner stuff than most. The crew needs reassuring. Putting your foot up on a dislodged servo from a disassembled Harpy, you adjust your sunglasses.

"There's a lot I want to say, but I'm not very good at speeches." You pause, and there's a few gratifying chuckles. That's always a good sign, "I prefer to speak with my deeds, and I think we should remember Captain Ozark by his. For we, the survivors, we have his example to aim for...and then surpass, so that when we meet him in hell we can boast of our own story! Let us remember our comrades, and raise a toast to them, and strive to outdo them before our own ending comes! Together, we will make the Iron Kestrels a name to haunt the Green Skulls and make them into yellow bellies..." You see Richard make a face at your pun, but naturally he doesn't say anything, "To do that, we need to grow larger, get better, organize, build ourselves up and give them merry hell. Now that the break is over, back to work lads!"

They cheer, hurrahing their new captain. It's not the best speech you've ever heard, but it's done the job of remoralizing them.

[Continued]
>>
File: 1460087576012.jpg (54 KB, 720x703) Image search: [Google]
1460087576012.jpg
54 KB, 720x703
The final vote for color begins now. The general consensus for the primary color was black, but we still need a secondary color and an eye color.

Also, do you want to put the mohawk you took in the last battle on the head of your mech? It takes up no Spaces and is purely decorative.

>>46601209

Go ahead.
>>
>>46601418
Red eye silver secondary? And sure throw it on.
>>
File: 1457641882984.jpg (111 KB, 608x800) Image search: [Google]
1457641882984.jpg
111 KB, 608x800
>>46600749
>This thread so far.
>>
>>46601418
>we still need a secondary color and an eye color.
Voting white for both, to blend with the stars behind us.

>the mohawk
No. We have limited space. Only the trophies of worthy enemies get to go onto our mech proper. That guy folded like a bad poker hand.
>>
>>46601418

Addendum, take your time discussing this, I won't check on the consensus for a half-hour, giving you time to debate and discuss with your fellows. As always, feel free to post examples if there's a particular color scheme you like.
>>
>>46601418
REd highlights and eyes. The mohawk takes up no space whatsoever so it's good. Could have the visor shift up to show the face if we want.
>>
>>46601418
I would think we could have the sensor mask Brave face combo and keep the mohawk, Right? If we can voting for that.
>>
>>46601418
I Like the idea of a strong primary secondary colour, like red, with a highlight that really contrasts with the blck, so white highlights. As for the mohawk, eh. Sure its a prize but its a mohawk on a mech. Blech. I wonder if with the general curved shape if we could fit it as a band on our shoulder pauldron, that would be cool, and that guy would still recognize his stolen glory hahaha.
>>
>>46601459
It's a nice memento for our first fight in the new mech, I vote we keep it. Plus it's not like we have anything else to put their for now.
>>
>>46601547
In a way, it shows that even unarmed we took down a 'pirate killer' with ease. Thinking back on it, our dismantle could likely pop the head right off a harpy. With their cockpits in the head, we could easily disable them and capture them for our crew.
>>
>>46601547
You're free to vote as you like. It looks like the mohawk is going on anyway, but I just don't feel like it deserves a place there. And I would prefer not to have to deal with the clutter when we eventually get more trophies.

Also, a mohawk on a mech just looks weird to me.
>>
>>46601447
>>46601459
>>46601479
>>46601492
>>46601498
>>46601519
>>46601547
So seeing a trend of red/white for secondary or hightligh colour. I personally would like both red and white with one as a highlight and the other as the secondary colour. Eye colour seems to be leaning red with a vote for white. Doesn't our hary salvage head have 3 sensor/ocular units? We could have two red and one white maybe? As for the trophy it seems to be a love or hate thing, I liked the idea of putting it on the shoulder somehow.
>>
Someone a few threads ago suggested a Black and white color scheme to make a sort of space cammo. I like that idea from a practicality stand point, but I can see how it could come off as bland.
>>
File: MG_Tallgeese_lower-1-02.jpg (104 KB, 700x926) Image search: [Google]
MG_Tallgeese_lower-1-02.jpg
104 KB, 700x926
>>46601519
>Blech

Respect the Tallgeese.
>>
>>46601641
>As for the trophy it seems to be a love or hate thing, I liked the idea of putting it on the shoulder somehow.
This.
>>
>>46601632
Yeah, while I feel we're keeping it I don't want us to have it as a mohawk (mounted on head). If only because I don't want the most visible trophy we posses to be from a jobber. Mohawks looking silly on mechs is a second reason.
>>
>>46601641

You can also have one as a secondary color, and the other as the color for the thrusters or eye.
>>
>>46601658
See that's an unfair comparison, that's more a horsehair crest in the roman/greek style, Not a vertical plate. Ascetics aside though I don't feel like copying our adversaries style exactly.
>>
>>46601641
As the guy who voted full white on black, I would be fine with red eyes. A heterochromatic mech would just be weird.

It just seems weird to me from a tactical standpoint to conveniently color code for enemies where our optical sensors are.
>>
>>46601751
Why not reposition it? Less a mohawk, more a horn? Could even remodel it slightly for that.
>>
>>46601658
Is that a thruster penis? You can't un-see it now!
>>
Lets put have the Mohawk be the first piece in our trophy room
>>
>>46601856
We could always make it a hood ornament on our flagship. Introducing the new chyrstler kickass!
>>
>>46601794
Lets put it on our shoulder then. Also captcha though gravel was popcorn.
>>
File: Grimgerde.jpg (341 KB, 657x875) Image search: [Google]
Grimgerde.jpg
341 KB, 657x875
HOLD UP!

I almost forgot, there's an easier way to do this.

Mohawk poll: http://strawpoll.me/7341162

Secondary Color poll: http://strawpoll.me/7341175

Thruster Color poll: http://strawpoll.me/7341195

Eye Color poll: http://strawpoll.me/7341188

I'm renewing the half-hour before I count these.
>>
>>46601950
I don't know if were fighting people up close having something they can grab onto is never a smart move
>>
>>46601963
does eye color also apply to the color of the sensor array when we have the mask over brave face?
>>
I hadn't actually thought about that. The sensor mask is going to be like a visor that's normally shut, but can tip up to expose the brave face underneath, so I was going to have it use the secondary color originally. It's up to you guys, though, if you want it to be a different color.
>>
>>46601963
That is easier. I still liked the discussion though, helps put ideas out there.
>>
I'm already planning out of trophy room. Sergeant's Mohawk, Colonel's cane sword, Samantha's panties
>>
>>46602090
As it's on a black mech, I'd say it ought to either be our highlight color, or black. But that's just my opinion.

Actually, maybe we should just color everything red, in honor of Roarke's totally-not-waifu.
>>
>>46602090

Meant to link >>46602036
>>
>>46602036
>>46602090
Weren't we going to do teeth on the mask, so white? At least I thought that's what everyone wanted last thread.
>>
>>46602125
Becareful. Pretty sure Sammy is a dude. Totally for going for him though. Sometime though, I need to work on the theme song version one. Was thinking of going old school giant robot theme with it.
>>
>>46602168
No the teeth are under the mask
>>
>>46602125
>cane sword
>not chessbriefcase
>>
>>46602168
why not go for the full package and get a shark face on the sensor array like old war bombers
>>
File: Starwind 1.jpg (82 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
Starwind 1.jpg
82 KB, 595x842
>>46602168

I thought everyone wanted teeth on the brave face?

IN THAT CASE, MORE DEMOCRACY!

http://strawpoll.me/7341255
>>
>>46602168
Or paint the sensor mask like WWII fighter
>>
>>46602168
I think the idea was that rictus grin is under the mask, revealed only when we bring the faceplate up, or (more likely) an opponent is good enough to damage and/or break off the mask.
>>
>>46602238
exactly
>>
>>46602238
Pretty much. I can see it happen when we crit or go full overkill with our actions.
>>
>>46601963
Not really a big fan of putting the Mohawk on the shoulder or head. That's just begging for someone to pull it when we get in close.
>>
>>46602177
Wong when will we get an answer to this?
>>
>>46602290

It's a little hard to avoid when you already have big shields and bulky armor pieces to grab onto. Besides, the Pumpkinseed has a streamlined design and you still tore two of its servos off.
>>
>>46602238
On a side note, to completely contrast with the manic smile we'll (maybe) be having on the brave face, I motion that the mask be blank and emotionless.
>>
>>46602361
I like this, backing
>>
Once again posting our mixtape for us to play at certain moments

Side A

1.Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
2.Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
3.Ball of Confusion - The Temptations
4.Breaking the Law - Judas Priest
5.Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears For Fears
6.Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
7.Rock The Casbah - The Clash
8.Hotel California - The Eagles
9.Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Side B

1.Hush - Deep Purple
2.Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
3.Oh Sherry - Steve Perry
4.Sailing - Christopher Cross
5.The Final Countdown - Europe
6.Photograph - Def Leopard
7.China Girl - David Bowie
8.Don't Cry - Guns n Roses
9.Highway to the Danger Zone - Kenny Logins
>>
>>46602361
So just like Tallgeese face up there? If so, supporting.
>>
>>46602361
Backing. A cold, but human face is more unnerving than an edgey anime grin
>>
File: Corporal Blanchett.jpg (8 KB, 181x162) Image search: [Google]
Corporal Blanchett.jpg
8 KB, 181x162
>>46602350

An answer to what's in Corporal Blanchett's panties?

That depends on you, doesn't it?
>>
>>46602477
Fuck you for putting this on us were never gonna be able to decide
>>
>>46602477
From your answer, we can clearly glean that Corporal Blanchett does indeed have panties.

Of course, this brings us no closer to the answer to the question.
>>
>>46602477
And then the thread ate itself alive over what the first waifu's gender is going to be.
>>
File: smuganimegirl2.gif (2 MB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
smuganimegirl2.gif
2 MB, 533x300
>>46602503

Oh no, I don't mean that it's up to you, I mean that I'm not going to tell you unless you find out for yourself.
>>
File: 1425626551845.png (433 KB, 800x1234) Image search: [Google]
1425626551845.png
433 KB, 800x1234
If you have an opinion, vote! Strawpolls are linked below.

>>46601963
>>46602213
>>
File: pyramid of counterarguments.jpg (62 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
pyramid of counterarguments.jpg
62 KB, 777x656
>>46602573
Please confirm the identity of the smuggest character in the entire cast.

They will invariably not win the MCbowl, but still be a pretty high tier waifu nonetheless.
>>
File: Ramba smoke.gif (2 MB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Ramba smoke.gif
2 MB, 500x300
>>46602573
Question, will there be a husbando?
>>
>>46602635
The Colonel is obviously best Husbando.
>>
>>46602635
Yes, anon. You are the husbando.
>>
The Mech is best waifu.
>>
>>46602755
Then why are you trying to force her to change?
>>
>>46602635

Wow, either people hate the mohawk or the one guy voted multiple times.
>>
File: came to laugh.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
came to laugh.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>46602625
I don't think anybody can outsmug Roarke. Except maybe the Colonel.
>>
>>46602809
I kind of expect most pirate captains or high-ranking officers to be pretty smug.

There's probably plenty of characters that Roarke knows, but we as players don't.
>>
>>46602809
We are an odd mix. We got some hotblood mixed with our standard Char and we're not a dick. Could say we are GAR Char.
>>
>>46602573
Everyone is talking about this possible dickgirl wifu, and I'm over here thinking about the girl with the freckles.
>>
>>46602942
That roll of 24 did a number on us
>>
>>46602942
>>46603002
I think it's more that no other potential waifu has had much impactful screentime.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
85 KB, 640x480
Alright, so. The winning choices were:

Mohawk: Goes on your cabin wall, you could also turn it flat and put some supports under it to install a bar in your room.

Secondary Color: White

Eye Color: White (as is the Sensor Mask)

Thruster Color: A tie.

Kaiser Grin: On the Brace Face only, the Sensor Mask can swing up like a visor to expose the head beneath, although it's more likely to be seen by an enemy damaging the head servo in battle.

You've picked a color scheme (mostly) that some fine mechs have shared.
>>
>>46603163
>Thruster Color: A tie.
Rainbow thrusters confirmed?
>>
>>46603163
>turn it flat and put some supports under it to install a bar in your room
This sounds amazing. Let's do it.
>>
>>46603163
>you could also turn it flat and put some supports under it to install a bar in your room.
Or we could find an empty room in the ship and convert it into a bar for crew members to use during downtime.

Converting trophies into strangely utilitarian ship-board facilities would be an interesting shtick.
>>
>>46603256
bumping this
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (128 KB, 635x478) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
128 KB, 635x478
>>46603163

Some of them even shared your fighting style.
>>
>>46603303
if Richard pilots a mech with similar proportions to himself, i hope he gets a hammer with a pile bunker function. it's like the enemy gets hammered twice with each swing, and it would be a great weapon for a "big guy mech"
>>
>>46603374
Richard? Who?
>>
>>46603443
Our Viking looking friend whose fucking Freckles girl
>>
>>46603443
The big viking dude who almost squeezed us out like a a tube of toothpaste
>>
>>46603501
>>46603512
Ah right. My mistake.
>>
So, here's how upgrades are going to work. You will get a certain number of character points for any enemy mech you shoot down and bring back to the Rhinehawk and Doctor Cohen. I'm still working out exactly how many points you get, and how intact it is is going to matter. I've already statted out a list of potential upgrades, including adding a second thruster fist and shield to make you symmetrical, and repairing the magnetic grappling anchor.

Beyond that, I'm wrestling with the Advanced Technical Manual. It has a wonderful variety of classical mecha systems and such, but the problem comes from the fact that they've made a lot of them very expensive in terms of points and spaces, and some of them are neat until you realize that the only way to defend against them is another expensive system.
>>
File: aggressive recruitment.png (329 KB, 588x335) Image search: [Google]
aggressive recruitment.png
329 KB, 588x335
>>46603528
>enemy mech you shoot down and bring back to the Rhinehawk
So what do we do with the pilot? Do they get ransomed away, or can we recruit them?
>>
>>46603614
Wasn't it established in the first thread that, for pirates at least, whoever falls behind gets left behind?

Might be different story for military troops, though.
>>
>>46603614
We can take the good ones and maroon the ones that we don't like or suck ass
>>
>>46603614
>>46603646
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BA9TNH_TiA&nohtml5=False
>>
File: 240[1].jpg (10 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
240[1].jpg
10 KB, 240x240
After the Captain's funeral, where the Kestrels solemnly share remembrances of him and get heartily drunk before sending off his extracted cockpit capsule, the repairs can begin in earnest. It takes a few days more to get the Rhinehawk operational again, and during that time you are able to spend time with the wonderful Doctor Cornelius Cohen, the Iron Kestrels' chief mechanic, surgeon, and barber.

He gives you the impression of a slightly senile prune, but he's very good at what he does. He was also a mechanic back during the War, when everyone with a lick of technical knowledge was being recruited for the fight against the Green Men. He might know something about an old war relic like this.

Despite having glasses as thick as bottle glass, the good doctor spots you from across the room and waves as energetically as he can.

>Check on the repairs to Knuckle Kaiser
>View the upgrade list
>Ask Doctor Cohen if he knows what the Knuckle Kaiser originally was.
>>
>>46603753
We're going to do all three eventually, surely.
>>
>>46603753
>>Ask Doctor Cohen if he knows what the Knuckle Kaiser originally was.
>>
>>46603753
>>Ask Doctor Cohen if he knows what the Knuckle Kaiser originally was.
If we know it's make we could find out what it's capable of.. and probably raid a old factory for more parts/arms for punching things.
>>
>>46603753
>>
>>46603753
>>
>>46603753

>Check on the repairs to Knuckle Kaiser
Does Dr.Cohen have a thick german accent?
>>
File: 3114318-professor+farnsworth[1].jpg (45 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3114318-professor+farnsworth[1].jpg
45 KB, 1024x768
Your first question, naturally, is whether he has any idea what it originally was.

"Oh my, yes."

He leans in conspiratorially close to you and whispers, "It's a Thoroughbred."

And now for a truly bizarre roll, 1d10+6+8 (Intelligence plus Mecha Piloting), first one to roll it gets it.
>>
Rolled 4 + 6 (1d10 + 6)

>>46603903
>>
Rolled 5 + 6 (1d10 + 6)

>>46603903
Alright
>>
Rolled 6 + 6 (1d10 + 6)

>>46603903
>>
>>46603928
soo 18?
>>
Rolled 8 + 14 (1d10 + 14)

>>46603903
>>
>>46603928
>>46603959
So.. which counts? the one that came first or the full bonus one?
>>
>>46603959
Yours looks to be the only roll that got the +6+8 right, so it looks like yours is the only real roll here. Good job on the 22!
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (37 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
37 KB, 225x350
Just like every little kid on Io, you've seen the Space Avengers simflick, about the Great Sidereal War. Even if your education was a working-class, rudimentary one, you know who Floyd Beck and Rudolph Merrow were.

After the Green Men, the genetically engineered superhumans of Mars, destroyed Jegal 6 and a half dozen of the Confederation of United Star Systems' most prominent homeworlds, mankind faced a crisis. The powerful biological weapons in the form of mind-altering spores and titanic suits of bio-armor employed by the Green Men demanded equally responsive and adaptive weapons to respond, leading to the creation of the HMIS from technology originally developed for the creation of better prosthetic limbs. In fact, Cassius liked to call his artificial legs his 'mech' back when you were growing up. The Solar System League, a last-minute alliance of mankind's original planetary colonies, was responsible for creating the HMIS and designing the first mecha, which is the reason why it dominates the galaxy (as best it can) today, and why the CUSS is just a memory.

Floyd Beck and his friend Rudolph Merrow were the two most famous pilots of the War, and you know for a fact that Floyd Beck's machine was called Thoroughbred-X.

Which means that Dr. Cohen has gone unfortunately senile.
>>
>>46604314
Well damn. This is a damn impressive mech if it could last that long and still give new models a run for their money. Though, the mech would have to be if the enemy was that horrifying.

Now here's the big question. How are the repairs going and how do we give this baby some of it's splendor? Vintage parts would likely be rare for this sort of thing and it could give us a plan of looting.

So I guess >Check on repairs
then >Upgrades
>>
>>46604314
Can we ask Cohen if he knows where we can get more Thoroughbred parts?
>>
Thoroughbred-X was destroyed by enemy fire during the Battle of Phobos, you've seen the pieces of its ornate armor and wings in the UJCIDF Aerospace Museum back when you were small. Every kid on Io knows THAT, too, and there's always been a persistently repeated fringe theory that Rudolph Merrow, his best friend and pilot of the King Swordfish, did it.

As for you, you've never believed it. Sure, the Bahamut Corporation executives who viewed King Swordfish as their prize model made some remarks about how their designs brought their pilot home safely. Sure, up until his death Floyd Beck had been far and away the more famous and was viewed as the Ace of Aces. Sure, Bahamutcorp...based on Europa, where Rudolph Merrow was from...drastically increased its market share and went from a small operation to a megacorporation that could compete with Bucephalus after the War, but ultimately it came down to a man pulling the trigger on another man. You couldn't see yourself killing Richard or Miles just for fiscal gain, and you're a pirate.

"Thoroughbred-X was destroyed decades ago, Doctor, I've seen the remains myself."

"No no no! Not Thoroughbred-X, one of the...oh wait." He blinks slowly, like a large, wrinkled frog, "Oh my, it was classified wasn't it? Of course you wouldn't know. Thoroughbred-X was a prototype, and there was a secret project to replicate it for mass production. I should know, I worked on it. Yes, the MP models were cheaper and, I admit, less full of dangerous gadgets, but it's another sad case of a good machine being scrapped over bad PR. Floyd had a squad of five, and not a single one returned alive! The stigma of bad luck attached meant that the UJCIDF couldn't find pilots for future models, and the design was abandoned."
>>
>>46604493
So the Knuckle Kaiser was abandoned along with his brothers due to greed, betrayal, and superstition. Truly a ignoble fate for a glorious machine. Guess we will have to show them the power of the classics and punch that Project Soul to ribbons when it comes out.
>>
>>46604493
>squad of five
So we gotta track down four more machines and use them to bring Knuckle Kaiser back to full strength. I smell a quest!
>>
>>46604487

"It's a Jovian model! Parts from just about anything should do, with a little elbow grease and creative tinkering."

He pauses and thinks for a moment, "Although, I suppose I do have that souvenir from when I worked on the project. We were supposed to destroy everything left in the lab, but I wanted one thing to take with me. I would have gotten it out sooner, but there was nothing large enough to mount it on...until today, that is."

He turns towards a large hovercart, and whips the cover off of it, revealing the head of a mech. Head is an interesting term for it, because this one looks like one. It has a bone-white, chunky, Y-shaped sensor mask on a powered hinge, currently lifted slightly to display a surprisingly realistic sculpted metal face beneath. The face's mouth is curved upwards into a grin, and its bared teeth are sharp, interlocking triangles. Miles, passing by, shudders at it and tries to push the visor shut despite being much too small for the job.

The rest of the head is rounded like a racing helmet, smooth, without any crest or fins yet.

Somehow, you find that you like the expression it has, even if it's normally concealed.

The body is being repainted, the armor stripped away and replaced where it's been damaged. The replacement parts are of a more modern alloy, opening up more space for equipment in the torso and head, colored a shiny black with bright white trim that matches the sensor mask. One of the technicians is spraypainting Knuckle Kaiser's claws red.

"Now, I've been coming up with some improvements..." The good Doctor gets out his PC. Personal Communicators are small, metal wands, about the side and shape of a pencil, with a flattened tip. Pressing one's fingertip to the flattened end unlocks it, and projects an adjustable holographic screen whose field can be disrupted, adjusted, and controlled with one's fingers. Designs begin to appear on the field...

[Continued, next post contains the Upgrade List]
>>
There is a limit to what the Rhinehawk's facilities can currently do, it cannot upgrade an individual mech to more than 250 points. The Knuckle Kaiser currently costs 140 points.

Pugilist Mode Upgrade: This upgrade removes your mech's left hand and replaces it with an Armored Thruster Left Fist, mounts a secondary Large Shield on the right arm, and adds two Thrusters to each Arm to compensate for the added weight. Costs 29 CP and increases your mech's weight by 8.5 tons as well as taking up an additional three Spaces on the right arm and two on the left.

Squilla Elbow Upgrade: Each successful hit causes an immediate secondary hit in the same location. Costs 7 CP. Requires Pugilist Mode Upgrade.

Crushing Grip Upgrade: This enhances the pistons of your fingers, installs boarding drills into your first set of knuckles, and fine-tunes the joints, allowing you to tear through armor like wet cardboard. What this looks like is up to you. Each hit ignores half of the enemy's armor. Costs 9 CP per fist, 18 if that fist has Advanced Fisticuffs Systems installed, as the HMIS has to be upgraded to handle the additional complexity of a more advanced hand.
>>
>>46604725
I would say lets go for all three if we can but if not lets get Pugilist and Squilla
>>
Is it possible to have our Mech's stats in a paste bin?
>>
File: r2d2slide-154708[1].png (332 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
r2d2slide-154708[1].png
332 KB, 655x380
Advanced Fisticuffs Systems Upgrade: This enhances the responsiveness of your arm servos and upgrades your targeting computer, improving the flow of information between you and your machine. Mechanically it adds +2 to the accuracy of your fist. Costs 9 CP per fist, 18 if that fist has Crushing Grip installed, as the HMIS has to be upgraded to handle the additional complexity of a more advanced hand.

Magnetic Grappling Harpoon: The sole remaining weapon (besides the hands and feet) of the mech you found. Although broken when you discovered it, it can be repaired. This weapon deals no damage, but it has a range of 400 meters and can be used to make grapple attacks at range if it hits. It costs 9 CP, weighs 0.5 tons, and takes up 5 Spaces. Unusually, this weapon comes in two parts. The launcher takes up 3 Spaces and the microweave cord storage pod takes up 2, and they do not need to be mounted on the same servo.

Space Efficiency: By streamlining your mech's design and eliminating redundant space, the Spaces taken up by weapons and systems can be reduced. This costs 0.5 CP for every Space removed from the requirements of a weapon or system.

Weight Efficiency: By using more expensive and less bulky materials as well as modernizing its relatively old systems, the weight of your mech can be reduced. This costs 2 CP for every ton removed.

You have 10 points that you may spend now, or bank for later.

[Discuss]
>>
Yes, after this session I'll be putting one together.
>>
>>46604773
>Weight Efficiency: By using more expensive and less bulky materials as well as modernizing its relatively old systems, the weight of your mech can be reduced. This costs 2 CP for every ton removed.
I'd say get this first and foremost to cut back on some of the mechs weight right now then upgrade to pugilist or something. And yes spend all current cp on this.
>>
>>46604773
What upgrades are there which we have the facilities, but not the points, to get, which we would bank points for? It's difficult to see any reason to bank if we don't know if anything worthwhile will be available soon.

Obligatory >Phasing
>>
Lets get the grappling Harpoon fixed and bank the left over point
>>
>>46604819

Pugilist Mode costs 29 points and you have 10.

More upgrades and systems will become available as you defeat mechs with unique upgrades, and as new options appear in the story.
>>
Whats the kill damage on regular fists?
>>
>>46604773
Well, it will be some time before we can get the nicer weapons, but the grapple will be damn handy for dragging enemies in. I say for now, 9 for the grapple, then the other 2 to clean up space in our torso so we can put the coils in there and our launcher in our shielded hand
>>
>>46604851

Regular hands do 1K, I'm pretty sure. Your Armored Thruster Fist does 6K.
>>
>>46604863
other 1. It costs .5 per space freed, and it's two spaces for the torso.
>>
File: Scorpion_Get_over_here!.gif (1010 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Scorpion_Get_over_here!.gif
1010 KB, 320x240
>>46604773
>Magnetic Grappling Harpoon
Crushing Grip could be useful too, armor piercing and all that. Maybe spend 2 CP to get one ton removed, reduce our weight to 49.5 tons and reduce the penalty on Reflex rolls.

Also QM, is there gonna be a pastebin for easy reference?
>>
>>46604841
So the list above is basically all the upgrades that may be available to us barring any story events or unique salvage.

Voting for the grapple, I suppose. To be entirely clear, does it attach to objects via an actual penetrating harpoon, or a magnetic clamp?
>>
>>46604863

I believe your torso, now that it's repaired, actually does have 2 spaces available.

The grapple actually breaks the rules slightly. You're supposed to apply weight efficiency upgrades AFTER everything else, so for purposes of buying thrusters and such your mech weighs its pre-efficiency'd tonnage. I didn't realize it in time, though, and had already messed around with the grapple's stats enough, so I said "fuck it it's a really innovative design with special rules" and left it as it is.
>>
>>46604889
the reflex rolls aren't so much an issue and being in a heavier weight class helps us. As is, we need to drag in enemies who are far away or are known to run for proper punching.
>>
>>46604889

Yes, I'm making it after the session.

Keep in mind, if you go below 50 tons, you'll go right back over it when you buy Pugilist Mode unless you spend a ton more CP.
>>
>>46604773
>Crushing Grip Upgrade
Being able to twice the damage would mean we spend less time on each enemy. Less opportunity for multiple mechs to gun us down. At least if they risk the friendly fire.

For now I think we can rely on Roarke's insane reflexes to close in on enemies and grapple on them. It's definitely next on the list with some weight efficiency upgrade though. At least to go sub 50 tons for that extra +1 for dodge.
>>
>>46604955
For the ammount of points it costs, it's not really worth it to slim the boy down. A lot of our hand to hand options do better damage with heavier weight and when we get pugalist, our weight will shoot right up and over. It'd be more effective just to go crushing grip or grapple and only lessen the weight if it starts to lower our reflex to fast.
>>
File: Zgok.jpg (1 MB, 1824x2315) Image search: [Google]
Zgok.jpg
1 MB, 1824x2315
Have a non-binding strawpoll just to gauge public opinion.
>>
>>46604955
Just to be clear on my thoughts. Is this how combat would go?
Thruster Fist = 6KD (Kill Damage)
Pumpkin Seed Torso = 8KA (Kill Armour)

First hit = 1 KD, leaving it at 7KA (6 - 8)
Second hit = 1 KD, leaving it at 6KA (6-7)
Third hit = 1 KD, leaving it 5 KA (6-6)
Fourth hit = 1 KD leaving it at 4 KA (6-5)
Fifth hit = 2 KD leaving it at 2 KA (6-4)
Sixth hit = 4 KD scrapping it (6 - 2 )

But with crushing grip it goes
First hit = 2 KD leaving it at 6 KA (6 - 8/2)
Second hit = 3 KD leaving it at 3 KA (6 - 6/2)
Third hit = 4 KD Scrapping it (6 - 3/2)
>>
File: Zgokcustom.jpg (54 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
Zgokcustom.jpg
54 KB, 360x480
>>46605025

...If I remember to post it. http://www.strawpoll.me/7341895
>>
File: tuck and roll.gif (2 MB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
tuck and roll.gif
2 MB, 500x240
>>46605025
Can the Mag Harpoon be used for maneuvering? Say, swinging around spaceships, asteroids and the like?
>>
>>46604955
Surely half armor doesn't mean double damage, just half damage reduction. It'd work best on heavily armored enemies for sure, but I imagine a +2 to hit will be more worthwhile on more lightly armored targets.
>>
>>46605053

Yes. It's also sturdy enough to hold up your weight even in an earth-gravity environment.
>>
>>46605018
Which does better damage with weight? I only remember dismember.
>>
>>46605081
It definitely means double damage. In some cases more. Remember if you cant punch through armour you only do 1 damage.

See this. At least of what I think combat damage is calculated. 3 turns to kill without crusing fist. 2 turns with crusing fist and can spend an action to move to next guy.
>>46605039
>>
>>46605088
Ram does as well I believe and this early on dismember is going to be important in disabling and bringing in mechs for sweet CP.
>>
>>46605112
Yes, but armor isn't that much of a problem just yet. We'd be starting smaller anyways which will make use of things like our weight, grapple, and dismemberment to get smaller targets. While accuracy is nice, we need to bring the enemy in first to do so.

So, order of priority to me is the grapple, then crushing, then the pugglist/double hit combo, then accuracy.
>>
File: DAynFzW.png (84 KB, 1300x700) Image search: [Google]
DAynFzW.png
84 KB, 1300x700
>>46605112

You mean actions, not turns. Just punching, and assuming no misses, the ATF does indeed destroy a Pumpkinseed's torso if it uses each of its two Actions to punch twice (remember, ATF is Quick) in a single turn of four attacks. With Crushing Fist, it does so in three Attacks. Keep in mind, though, specifically using your action to ATTACK gives you the two attacks, you can't make one and do something else.

So effectively it wouldn't help you in that exact scenario. You'd just waste your fourth attack. Still useful, but not so much in that particular case.
>>
>>46605158
Weight is pre-efficiency. So we'll always be medium weight.

The pumpkin seed is 350 meter per action. Our mech is 500 meter per action. With the range of the harpoon we can barely catch the pumpkin seed with its 400 range. I'd rather spend another action to move 500 meters then get the free ram action.

Magnetic Harpoon just has too short of a range for our high speed mech IMO.
>>
By the way, next session will be Wednesday at the usual time.
>>
>>46605281
How much points will be lost would you say if we spent our actions to punch the enemy system until it's within single dismemberment range? Compared to spending multiple turns dismembering?
>>
>>46605290

While I like the thought you've put into that, keep in mind that there are mecha besides the Pumpkinseed out there. You can't assume you'll be the fastest one around forever, especially since Mechafighters and transformable mechs in jet form have 2x their usual move allowance.
>>
>>46605290

Also, that's 500 meters per turn. You can move 250 meters per action, while your harpoon can reach 400 meters in one action.

Sorry, I know the Actions vs Turns thing is sort of confusing.
>>
>>46605313
Will we be doing anything after the upgrades this session?

Actually, will we even be doing upgrades this session? It looks like the discussion has petered out.
>>
>>46605499
Oh I see. Then from that end harpoons definitely look much better than before. If a target is harpooned and tries to move away will the harpoon cap them at 400 until they make a save to break it during movement? Also structure damage when it does break it through brute force like that?
>>
>>46605527

Next session, I'll be asking you to take another, binding vote, you'll get the upgrade instantly, and you'll get to either raid a colony (not a California Station colony) or a starship.
>>
My thoughts on this discussion https://youtu.be/nMUnbNPCoSw?t=48
>>
>>46605557

It caps them there until they defeat your grappling roll or you discontinue grappling.

The harpoon is, ironically, quite resilient because the system views it as doing 8 Kills of damage even though the Entangling property let me trade it for range on a 1K=50m scale. It's actually more durable than your fist, because an 8 Kill weapon can generally also take 8 Kills of damage before being destroyed.
>>
>>46605615
QM, should we all just read the Mekton Zeta rulebook so this quest can move more efficiently?
>>
>>46605589

The session is winding down for the night, we've had three consecutive days of intro stuff and have just now announced the protagonist's mech. A bit of /tg/talk and niggling over details isn't just normal, it's healthy.
>>
File: judau.jpg (28 KB, 349x400) Image search: [Google]
judau.jpg
28 KB, 349x400
>>46605642

It would probably help, unless you run into one of those things where I bent the rules a little for the sake of convenience and get confused.
>>
>>46605667
Its fine I was just thinking we were gonna get farther tonight
>>
Would the harpoon have a winch strong enough to increase our movement speed towards a hooked target?

Harpoon upgrades seem fun. Stronger winch for more speed, Or multiple hooks so that we can drag light mechs while we sprint towards another mech. The enemy side would really have to think about friendly fire with 2 mechs that close to us.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.