[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got a serious question /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1456177653614.png (161 KB, 242x409) Image search: [Google]
1456177653614.png
161 KB, 242x409
So, I've been in the same tabletop group since forever. When I first joined, I was the youngest member out of a group of ten. But as the years drifted by, literally everyone has moved away, quit tabletop games, or fucking died and have been replaced by shitty kids who never stay in character, never roleplay, and always become murderhobos. It's the worst. I have hopped on the gamefinder threads and found games that under most circumstances, would consider awful and still had a better time DM'ing or playing with that group. Now before you say:
>Why the fuck haven't you left ?
Two reasons:
Reason 1: The first DM and the member who died, wanted us to keep the group together no matter what. It was pretty much his deathbed wish. I would bet a million dollars that the minute I left, that group would desove. Thats if we don't go by the Argos Paradox and the group is technically still the original.
Reason 2: The kids are having a great time and are enjoying the sessions far more then I do. Most of them are complete fucking losers and if this group devolved, they probably wouldn't have any friends left too. Also there is a vain hope that I can actually teach them to roleplay.
So what do I do /tg/ ? Should I just fucking leave ?
Pic semi-related.
>>
>I've got a serious question /tg/
Well, for starters, are you sure we're the right people to ask?
>So what do I do /tg/ ? Should I just fucking leave ?
Yes. You're not obliged to some spastic losers and you've carried legacy of the dead man far enough. Sounds to me like it's time to move on.
>>
>>46597056

Slowly show them the light, my friend. Hopefully, they'll learn to be better as they get older.
>>
>>46597141
It's partly to vent, and also because I've been wrestling with the idea for a while and I couldn't bring myself to an answer.
>>
>>46597056

Leave.
If you are the only one left of the group, then -you- are the group.
They have little to nothing to do with them.
Bring the memories and experiences of who you truly cared about with you.
Share them with your new group, when you'll find a proper one.
Or if you fail, write it down your adventures, maybe to be shared with other people if so you want.
But either way, remember: you can move on.

So far the kids goes, they got each other. They are going to have fun with each other, in the end, if they are so similar as you seem to bring up.
They are going to fail, and fail again. But in the end, likely either they'll drift away as if nothing ever mattered to begin with, or you their friendship will link them more than ever.
>>
>>46597056
Find some more people to flesh it out, people that won't drive you up the wall and you can count on to stick around long enough to "rub off" on the young'uns. If you get the right group composition they'll still be murderhobos and spastics but it'll be in lighthearted jest between players, rather than a constant.
>>
>>46597225
Yeah, you're right. If they really enjoy doing whatever the fuck they're doing, the can organize and run it themselves. I just feel bad about though, like I failed the original dude. I really didn't though. I kept the group as long as I could and now here we are.
>>
If you feel like you're going to feel bad about this for the rest of your life, then
>don't leave

Otherwise, leave.
>>
File: A_knight_in_shining_armor.jpg (243 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
A_knight_in_shining_armor.jpg
243 KB, 1920x1080
>>46597056
If you are not having a good time anymore, then leave, some things will never change.

As for your GM's wish, write down all the adventures your group had, compile them into a story.
It doesn't have to be published or anything, it could even be just a simple word file.
That way, your group will forever exist in text, immortalized in song.
Send the file to all the members of the original group, share it with them.
>>
>>46597056
Do you mean Theseus Paradox?
>>
Don't leave. The kids will get better, they just need a little pushing in the right direction. Reward in-character acting with inconsequential but over-emphasized rewards such as bonus EXP or contacts they can call in later. Also, you may be a little too hard on them because you're comparing your current group with the near-perfect false memory of your group in the past.
>>
>>46597056
When you were 10 you were the spastic fucktard. I certainly know I was fucktard as a youth.

As far as "fixing" them. I'll invoke the memetic "Have you tried not playing DnD?" Since it appears you are the GM make them play something where being a murderhobo will just get them killed in a horrific or embarrassing way, like say Call of Cthulhu or Legend of the Five Rings.

Now if you are not even interested in the concept of tabletop games anymore, then quit. Since the rest of the original group has moved on, your deceased friend can't fault you much for doing the same.
>>
>>46598127
>make them play something where being a murderhobo will just get them killed

This.

>What's that, you want to murder the temple priest for his shiny amulet? Oh, what's that? Did his god just send down a pair of celestials to kick your fucking ass?

If it's the player's own damn fault something happened, explain it to them rationally. There's a fine line between bad rolls and "you basically asked for this."
>>
>>46597056
OP, I don't want to greentext my failure of a life to you so I'll just share the reduced format.

I joined my first group when I was 9. Wasn't your stereotypical stupid kid but was still stupid. VERY stupid. Group did roleplaying, philosophy, psychology, science, workshop related shit, martial and physical training etc. Our master, founder and oldest member was 14 at the time, vastly wise for his age but definitely not adequate for this shit. We did a lot of things we shouldn't do with good intentions and much better results than we had the right to get, but more importantly we were a second family, and in time more youngsters joined.

I became leader, watched everyone grow, got overwhelmed by responsibility and fucked up in a particular point of feels in such a way that caused me to get deposed for a small crime, then expelled.

They are still the most important thing I've ever done, without them I lacked direction, and after being destroyed by a decent girl who didn't know how to deal with a nigga like me I got depressed for a decade basically ending college like a zombie, without a stable job, money or connections to do shit later in life. I'm currently rebuilding my laifu but it ain't easy when you're an oldfag.

Worse thing was, after I was given the boot they lost a lot of veterans to death, quitting or just life. In turn that caused the whole thing to get shaky and I don't know if they disintegrated, but the new boss had gone pretty much ravid mad in one year. And I couldn't see my lifelong friends except rarely, in secret, mostly to get informed of someone else who I esteemed deeply and now was dead.

Briefly consider that while you'll have to deal with emotional and psychological consequences if you stay, you'll also have to face another different set of those when you leave. Loneliness, feelings of inadequacy, being behind the times, all those things will hit you hard and you need to be ready for them.

(cont'd)
>>
>>46599725
I wish I could explain this with more detail but I can't right now. I lived a bunch of wonderful experiences with them and I know I got a lot of kids out of the hole, even if I'm just getting out of my own right now.

If you leave, don't leave like an edgelord, explain how do you feel and why do you feel this way, even if you have to scold them a little. Leave for them a resource trove, some materials, old manuals, books of psychology, links of articles on the internet; allow them to pursue their own quest to become better players and better people than they are. For you it's probably just a day of search and some pocket change, but for them you'll probably give them years of advantage. Look around you and realize they'll need it.

Basically just don't leave them with any regrets or don't stay regretful. Try that whatever option you choose makes you a little better as a person.
>>
>>46597056
>literally everyone has moved away, quit tabletop games, or fucking died and have been replaced by shitty kids
Then the people you liked are gone. Just drop it.

I'm short on time so I'll just list my points:
>You deserve to treat yourself better than this.
>You shouldn't play in a group that sucks this much.
>If a friendship with someone collapses the moment you stop playing dnd, then you weren't really friends
>Those kids can find real friends and better things to do with their time.
>Their happiness is not your problem.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.