[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your current character's backstory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10
File: 6.jpg (984 KB, 1090x3651) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
984 KB, 1090x3651
What is your current character's backstory?
>>
It's pretty messed up desu, I'm a little disturbed at the DM coming up with it.
>>
>old farmer
>village attacked by orcs
>Defends village, dies in process
>Brought back to life by "God of death" (Actually warlock patron, but he doesn't know that)
>Now goes around killing people the "God of death" determines as bad
>>
>>46591705
>Be part of a group of murderhobos
>story is barely present, nothing more than a reason to kill shit
>get frustrated as a huge lorefag
>start writing a larger story for the random dungeon crawls
>write in-depth backstories for the party and reasons for them to stick together and keep adventuring
>do this long after the group has disbanded and the game forgotten about
>never tell anyone about it because even I knew it was weird
>>
>Scholar with military background
>Conducting illegal experiments with natural occurring evil devil juice
>Working with the party to help stay one step ahead of Not-Inquisitors.
>>
>>46595094
I wish I had someone like you in my group.
>>
>>46595094
I'm doing this for characters I was going to make a webcomic out of
>>
Mother is a succubus, and is constantly bugging her about "When am I gonna be a grandmother?" So she picked up a revolver and went adventuring, the end.
>>
>>46595211
You wouldn't know if you did. Sometimes I thought about showing someone in the group, but I was also kind of an outsider to the rest of them, and I always thought they would be weirded out or irritated by it.

>>46595322
I've been thinking of using the material I wrote as a base for a story or EVN, but I can't help but feel like I would be stealing people's OCs to do it, despite all the work and the fact that I haven't talked to these people in almost two years.
>>
>>46595635
pretty much every character in literature is theft in some way, dont sweat it
>>
>>46591705
>Dad was a starship systems engineer, later became a mechanic for a small, struggling company
>Taught his son pretty much everything he knew after he showed a knack for working with technology
>Character gets a nice scholarship to a fairly prestigious technical institute and goes off to study
>Dad dies of illness unexpectedly, character drops out and returns home to support his family, taking whatever jobs will pay >Homeworld's kind of a backwater, so opportunities are very limited
>Gets a message about some sort of inheritance from one "Rico Ortiz," requesting my character come to the biggest trade hub of the sector (Gateway)
>Curious, and fairly desperate, my character accepts the invitation
>Ends up on the same transport as the other PCs
>We kill a couple pirates that tried to hold the shuttle up
>Eventually arrive on Gateway, and find out that we all have an equal share in a free merchant starship, and can pretty much do what we want with it
>>
>>46595322
Remember to show don't tell in a visual medium or I will rub IcyHot balm on your unmentionables in your sleep.
>>
modern day mage that just want's to study his Astral magic while working a 9-5 job as a system analyst for a health corporation to pay the majority of the bills.

keeps getting pulled into crazy stuff because Astral mages that are not in deep comunion studying the universe are quite rare
>>
His mother was some ancient goddess of supposedly hunting, who came across his father, a shepherd boy and his flock. He continually repelled her attempts to eat his flock till they fell in love, and my character was born. She used him as a distraction to eat his father's flock which caused a break in the relationship, for which his mother took him to raise on her own. He grew up under her care and being trained by her to become a masterful ranger, experience and skills which led him to adventuring when he crossed paths with the group.
>>
>>46591705
Does BBEG count if I'm a DM?
>>
Greentext version because I am lazy

>Be Princess 3rd born kid
>Just be papered and hang around court being useless but pick up some social skills
>Dad starts harboring heretics in our capital.
>Dad coming down with illness and is dying
>Older sister declared heir apperent
>Older Brother don't like like this
>Decides to go and support the traditional church who ain't too fond of this heresy
>Church and noble court support two different heirs
>Vassals are divided
>Civil war imminent
>I just want us to be a family again
>>
>>46591705

>farmer yokel with aspirations to be a royal knight
>ma and pa managed to pull favors and get a local priest to teach me about etiquette and formality
>take the kingdom's guard exams, barely get in, get knighted and start real training in a month
>can't keep up, other knight students beat my ass regularly both verbally and physically, persevere
>queen of kingdom sees me with fucked up face in lineup ceremony and has me get out because i look like a savage thanks to the beatings her favorite squires pulled on me, now ex-knight
>well. maybe the local mercenary company has things they can have me do
>im 12
>errand boy life

this is start of the game too. pokemon tabletops are fucking wild.
>>
>Lowly performing magician meets girl of his dreams
>They have fun together until the accidental planar banishment of a mobster's son during an act forces them to flee the big city
>Now make chump change performing in the wife's home town's local tavern, but atleast have fun as they do it
>>
>>46596198
Sure, why not?
>>
D&D 5th ed. Neutral evil warlock.

>Son of a tavern wench
>Unknown father (implied to be a bard that was one of the other player's character in a previous campaign)
>Grew up in the tavern, with the owner acting as a surrogate dad.
>Had plenty of interactions with traders, whores, mercenaries and scoundrels, learned all manner of dubious skills from a very early age.
>Eventually moves to the city to seek his fortune
>Falls in with organized crime, graduates from card schemes to protection rackets and large-scale cons
>Life is good, so good that he gets cocky
>Makes a bet with his friends that he can sleep with the beautiful young wife of the local lord
>Hears a rumor that the lord is having trouble conceiving an heir
>Disguises himself as an elderly healer, approaches the lord and claims that he can help with his problem
>Insists that he will spend time alone with the woman in order to properly commune with the divine
>His "holy and sanctified healing" basically consists of him banging the wife
>The wife ends up pregnant, predictably enough, and the lord is overjoyed as he assumes he'll finally get an heir
>The child is born months later, except that it doesn't look anything like the lord
>The lord absolutely fucking loses it
>The wife is executed, PC becomes public enemy no.1
>After a frenzied escape into the woods, he gets lost but can hear the guards closing in
>Enter the Archfey, a trickster figure who is utterly delighted by the PCs egoism, guile and talent for shenanigans
>Agrees to give the PC power to escape the guards, because he's too entertaining to die this way
>In an act of desperation, the PC signs at the dotted line and escapes the guard
>Realizing he can never return home and that seeing his family again would cause their deaths, he sets out to make a new life for himself in the colonies.
>But lately there's always a laughing voice in his dreams, and he can't shake the feeling that he's being used...
>>
>>46596916
>Disguises himself as an elderly healer, approaches the lord and claims that he can help with his problem
>Insists that he will spend time alone with the woman in order to properly commune with the divine
>His "holy and sanctified healing" basically consists of him banging the wife
Nice to meet you, Grigori.
>>
>>46597388
Hey, there's nothing like the classics.

But yeah, the character basically functions like the unholy lovechild of Grigori Rasputin and John Constantine
>>
>small family of three elves going around the world wherever they want and just living, sometimes helping out the random settlement with something
>a PC is born, not much changes really except someone to impart their skills to
>childhood is basically training in the ways of the combatant, natural, and arcane
>plot twist, elf kid cannot into magic, mother now is allowed to care for the kid instead of having to teach him the intricacies of being a mage
>father and grandfather still kick his ass with training regimens, including white-water swimming, canopy hopping, and sparring matches vs two guys 7+ levels and hundreds of years his senior
>learns dragonspeak from a brass dragon his grandfather met with a couple centuries back
>during 50th b-day gets annihilated by ancient elven wine, tolerance goes into negatives forever, and has only ordered water or juice if he wants to be extravagant ever since unless someone else pays for/offers something, because turning down a gift is impolite, even if the inevitable hangover is murder
>after coming of age, decides to split off from his family and get some solo life exp
>makes a small killing over a long time selling game to whatever town he visits
>doesn't really buy anything given he can catch what he needs and has most necessary equipment, but isn't afraid to push a financial boundary on either side, ex. gold tips for silver meals, minimal haggling, demanding 350 million payout, then dropping down to 70 mil because he wants to show he's not an asshole, THEN 60 mil after the agreement just to be cheeky
>he also dislikes large settlements as, being raised solely in the wilderness except for few-day excursions into civilization, he has no urban sense of direction Since landing in Ravnica, follows the buddy system to a T
>aside from everything, tries to be the nicest guy ever in spite of typical elven assholery, and takes pride in out-sassing other elves if they start shit
>>
>>46591705
>Raised in large """"Family"""" of hunters and technological nutjobs
>Rise through the ranks for being a mad scientist like the rest of what I will call the Powder Kegs
>Help develop the first firearms in this setting, git good with them
>Get told I'm needed to help bring back one of the family's wayward royal sons
Okay.bmp
>Led to a room with some stones piled high
>Hostages come in some time later to use as b8
Thats where I started the campaign. Apparently I was a pseudo antagonist for like the first hour of it, cause I came in the middle of the campaign
>>
>>46591705
>College-age nobody
>Big dreams that'll never happen
>Working at Ironic Fashion in the mall
>Same shit, different day
>Until one day it isn't
>Red Shift happens, everything fucked up forever
>Has no fucking idea what just happened or still is happening
>Blue Shift follows immediately after, everything even more fucked up
>Still has no idea what's happening
>Mall is going insane
>People are screaming
>Light shows going off
>What the fuck are those things
>Seriously is that a bear what is that
>Suddenly SWAT shows up
>Baggin' and Taggin'
>Gets bagged, tagged, thrown in a van
>Wakes up strapped to a table
>Fading in and out of consciousness, creepy accent guy talking at him
>"Zhees whunnt huurt ahh beet..."

Next thing he knew, he was being decanted from a tube and introduced to his 'Handler', who the voice in the back of his head tells him to serve, protect and obey with absolute loyalty, like the good dog he is.

On the plus side, his 'Handler' turned out not to be who they thought she was; instead, one of the scariest EvilCorp bio-weapons technologies firms ever to have Never Existed somehow managed to turn over absolute control of an Alpha-Rank Redshift Unit to one of the founding members of the most notorious Resistance cell still active in the Zone.

He likes his Handler. She lets him play with all the shiny toys.
>>
>>46591705
>Be a middle aged farmer
>Son went off to fight in some war for some damn king.
>Its alright, both his sisters already married, its just me and Sophia now.
>Son comes back, he's really grown into a man
>Tells stories about his war, says he found a peculiar sword.
>He hesitates to show it to us, not that we're all that interested. He seems different when he holds it, like he somehow is compelled to hold it, but would rather not.
>Days go by, son isnt taking well to farm life, he seems distant, withdrawn.
>He talks a lot about leaving. I always ask where and he cant tell me. Sophia just wants him to stay.
>A week later, wake up to a commotion in the barn.
>Go to check it out, son has set upon the cattle with his damn sword, something's not right.
>His eyes are wrong.
>He's really grown into quite a man.
>Not enough to stop a felling axe, bolstered by 40 years of sweat and sinew and bone.
>Lie to Sophia.
>Say he left in the night.
>Have to get rid of that damn sword, try to throw it in the well.
>Cant.
>Just. Cant.
>It whispers.
>Now I understand.
>It fills me with vigor, and a bloodlust Ive only seen in other man's eyes.
>Tell Sophia to go live with one of our daughters.
>Travel for a time.
>Years pass.
>Looking for a way to destroy this damn sword, trying not to kill anybody with it.
>Join a group of adventurers.
>They'll help keep the sword slumbering.
>Secretly pray we all die in some godforsaken place where it can never be found.
>>
>>46601557
Is this homebrew, because if not I'd like to know what game.
>>
>>46591705
My Pathfinder Wizard.

>as a young lad, visited a museum and ended up with a slight crush on a statue, only for a Cleric to walk in and zap the statue back into a person
>turns out they'd been separated decades ago
>this is a formative moment for the boy, needless to say
>fast-forward a puberty and we find him having an identity crisis and an interest in magic
>a transmuter in need of a new apprentice/lab rat happens to live in town and sees his potential
>they make a deal - she gets to experiment on him with new spells, and he gets to learn magic from her
>she tells him someday he could even turn people to stone
>this callback to that incident at the museum is what brings him to agree to the dangerous deal
>it's been a couple of years since then and he's learned quite a few tricks, in exchange for favors like passing himself off as his mentor's daughter, acting as a satchel, and even spending a couple of days as a candelabra
>he's basically used to it all now, so when his tutor said it was time for him to start learning on his own, he's a bit confused
>still, some murderhobos were in town and with few other options, he decided to tag along
>what could possibly go wrong
>>
>>46605165
Reminds me slightly of how my own character tumbled down a slippery slope of shapeshifting, starting when he grew wings, then asked our wizard to turn him into a horse to test his Polymorph abilities, then learning a spell to turn into a wolf, then getting temporarily cursed into a gender bend, and now he owns an amulet of alter self & polymorph. Not to mention I've been planning on multiclassing into Wizard since before all that and am slowly getting more valid excuses for the character to do so.
>>
Tiefling Gunslinger.

>Born in small village
>Abandoned to die on mountaintop
>Rescued + Raised by Dragon
>When adult, decide to become wandering do-gooder
>Find plans for guns in abandoned fortress
>Build gun
>Become wandering do-gooder with gun and awesome hat.
>Travel land defeating racial prejudice by helping people.
>Get thrown in jail because "It's a demon!"
>Get freed from jail by other PC's
>Join party consisting of Inquisitor with inconsistent and loose interpretations of law, Inquisitor's 12 year-old npc apprentice, as well as Cavalier with massive muscles and daddy issues.
>>
>young boy in an orphanage
>never felt comfortable around people
>loved the forest
>spent most of his time there
>orphanage burned down one night
>he escapes and runs to the only place where he was happy
>over the next 30 or so years learns of nature's inherent arcane power and how to harness it
>also spends a lot of that time talking to a monkey named Babu

Thus is the brief history of Jimothy the Druid
>>
Mine's half backstory, half world-building that the GM wanted me to help with.

>Born into a traditional elven clan sorta on the edge of "civilized" society
>The culture of this clan is that all the children are raised "communally", as in, they are purposely not told who their parents are and raised by the entire community.
>Not even allowed to have a last name until adulthood (more on that later)
>Purpose of this is so that when they reach adulthood, all their achievements are their own, and not due inheritance or family reputation.
>Upon reaching adulthood, members of the clan are "invited" to join a "family" (or start their own) based on their achievements, they then take the last name of said family.

Anyway, now that world-building is out of the way.
>Character is born into this tradition elven clan.
>Spends the first 20 or so years of her life studying to become an alchemist
>Pretty good at it, almost guaranteed an offer into a "family" who specializes in that sort of thing.
>Because PCs are special snowflakes, she's not content with this
>Only got gud at alchemy because it was an obligation, a way to not fail at life, but has no passion for it and feels out of place in this society
>Meanwhile, while she's studying alchemy, a wizard, Vorian Renni from the nearest human city starts visiting the clan from time to trade for the herbs and stuff as spell components
>Eventually asks the clan if there's anyone they can send him as an assistant, so he can grow this stuff himself
>Character sees this as a chance to get away from the clan, see the world, maybe even learn about magic which is incredibly rare within the clan itself
>Gladly becomes his assistant... and eventually his apprentice, as it turns out she's pretty good at magic too (cos PCs are special snowflakes), and more importantly, actually has a passion for it

Phew, that's alot of set up and I'm not even done yet. Part 2 in a minute.
Also have a random elf picture because it makes the post stand out more.
>>
>>46606175
Part 2/2

>A few years pass, Vorian is pretty old. Also a human.
>Incidentally, being a wizard and all, he's also sort of an inventor, something like the magical version of Tesla... very close to many magical breakthroughs
>You can probably already see where this is going. Anyway, he's closer and closer to dying cos old age.
>Doesn't wana die because he's still got so much to do, so many discoveries to make and projects to finish.
>One of these projects is the extension of life spans, because duh, plot-trope
>This project gets all priority... and Vorian becomes more and more unhinged as the years go by.
>Hides it from character, who's become like a daughter to him now... but gets more and desperate.
>Starts associating with... shady people to gets funds and supplies for this research
>Obviously this is a bad idea once said "shady people" start to get greedy for the results of this project themselves.
>Knock on door one night
>Character goes to answer the door
>Sword hilt to the face, falls over, fades to blackout
>Wakes up
>Vorian is gone, place is ransacked, research and stuff gone,
>Only has a name she thinks she heard mumbled before she passed out to go on as a lead

And so begins the story of Farryn Renni, joining up with a party of bounty hunters (the other players) in order to get clues or SOMETHING she can use to find her mentor... or at least finish his life's works if he's dead. Because at this point he's the only person she's ever considered family (remember when I mentioned what last names symbolize in her culture).
>>
A young noble boy learns how to seduce people with charity so that they do awful things for him, becomes blackguard in shining armour that injects people with venomous charity to boost the influence of his dark God.
>>
BBEGs follow:

Desmond
>be inconsequential researcher of rebel colony
>decide to research artificial psionics. by forcibly adding the organ that allows psionics into self
>quickly realized reality is one "psionic color" and Desmond is a wholly different one
>studies and finds out he a) can mind control planets and b) exists as ghost data in reality
>ghost data from someone reformatting a guy who would've otherwise shot you in the face when you were both 22
>decide to try hand at traditional war after establishing fascist regime
Desmond's pretty simple.

"Vanessa"
>meek and anxious desk jockey
>plugs mind into robot, lucid dreams in robot to work 24/7
>robot develops sapience while in girl's psionic body
>robotcannotintopsionics.jpg
>psychic meltdown occurs, Vanessa is slingshot from office drone to original body in the center of a psychic shitstorm
>personality shatters as a mix of machine, human, and "I stick my dick in string theory" space magic roils
>hides time and builds empire as a EDM DJ that hacks minds for trips without drugs
>becomes best spy in galaxy through this "psi-trance" music and brainwashing politicians at concerts
>becomes Marilyn Manson with perky tits
>decides to fuck with a colony written by George R.R. Martin because who can stop a VOCALOID that literally mindfucks people

I'm not actively playing a game at current, or I'd have something less ridiculous.
>>
File: 1444595396167.png (28 KB, 221x200) Image search: [Google]
1444595396167.png
28 KB, 221x200
>>46606675
>>hides time and builds empire as a EDM DJ that hacks minds for trips without drugs
>>becomes best spy in galaxy through this "psi-trance" music and brainwashing politicians at concerts
>>
I play the same character every campaign.

First Campaign I was nothing but an orphan turned blacksmith who eventually became a King.

Second Campaign I secretly abandoned my throne to our Rogue who was a master of Disguise and traveled south, and became an apprentice Wizard who would go onto save the world from a Drow plot in the underdark.

Third Campaign I traveled further south into the mana-wastes and became a gunslinger. I eventually wandered north again on my way home to take up my crown, but got caught up in some affairs with the undead while putting an old friend to rest.

After saving the world again from evil, I got lost in some mists and have been trapped in this strange land called Ravenloft.

So that's where I'm at now, new edition, new campaign.

The way I handle this is that I have the same general personality and ability scores, but between games they're slightly altered based on the class.

So From Fighter, Wizard, Gunslinger and now Rogue.
>>
File: Average Online RP Group.png (400 KB, 899x270) Image search: [Google]
Average Online RP Group.png
400 KB, 899x270
>>46606799
Sometimes I wish I could do this, but I'm practically schizophrenic when it comes to characters. I can hardly keep to a single character for a single campaign, let alone use the same one for multiple campaigns. I get too many ideas in my head and get far too into building backstory and stuff...

I'm also one of those people who plays Skyrim or Fallout and makes it to about level 30 before starting the game over (having never completed it) with a different character...
>>
>War orphan
>Taken in by parent's church
>Raised by monks and knights, view them as family
>Grow up
>Now he's a religion wizard
>Part of a religious minority
>Faith breaks out into violent schism
>Hometown monestary gets sacked in fighting
>Goes out to gather support and money for sect to be able to establish independence and rebuild his childhood home
>>
>>46591705
She was raised by this paramilitary organization of superhumans, and her personal guardian was basically Big Boss. She had strong powers that manifested at birth and because of that she's been treated like a weapon or soldier instead of a person. The organization made her kill people from a young age and partnered her with a demented sociopath. The one person she met who seemed to actually care about her was ordered killed because of another player's (not unreasonable) recommendation that keeping them alive was too dangerous for the organization.

It may sound edgy but all that shit except the last bit was rolled for in character creation.
>>
>>46591705
>Once a Paladin of a healing order
>terrible plague sweeps the land
>the order tries everything to cure it
>Nothing works
>Other local paladin orders fall back on the logic that if you cant cure it, kill it.
>town after town is burned.
>thousands die
>leader of PC's order gets desperate and essentially trades a bunch of souls for a cure, falling in the process.
>Other Orders accuse him of using black magic
>"basically yeah."
>Giant slaughter
>PC survives and escapes
>travels the land as a doctor/exorcist, still chased by a number of more zealot paladins.
>Ultimately wants to restore his old order and preserve their knowledge.
>>
>>46606929
>shrug

/tg/ is the only place where you should play dirt farmers with an alive-and-well family and no edgyness whatsoever.

Other social circles are far more accepting.
>>
>>46591705
>Be daughter of farmer's family, strong as hell for a girl due to helping out in the field
>best friend is village beauty, set to marry a bard passing through who wooed her
>lord had eyes on best friend, demands jus primae noctis
>came up with a plan, had a pair of identical dresses made with best friend
>swap with her after the wedding feast, went to lord's castle in her place
>wrestled the lord, knocked him out cold with a good punch
>dressed him up in the dress and tired him to the bed so his servants will find him in the morning
>ran away from home to protect family
>joined Waterdeep city watch, got some formal military training, got paid 8gp per month
>was astonished at how much money adventurers made, decided to quit the watch and go adventuring instead.
>>
>>46591705
>only son of an elven fortune teller and a human tailor
>his human mother dies of childbirth when he is born
>lives for some ten years with his elven father
>on a small journey to the nearby town to visit some relatives, they are ambushed by bandits
>father is killed by the bandits, as he shields his son with his own body
>son is badly injured, but is saved by a passing priest of Lathandar
>the wealthy relatives of his deceased father decide to take him in
>one night he awakens to the smell of smoke and ash rising just a little bit away from him
>burglars broke and entered the mansion, stealing what they could before setting it on fire after locking the residents inside
>the young half-elf feels a surge of magic and his window opens by itself
>he jumps out and falls very slowly on the garden, escaping the inferno behind him
>his relatives don't make it and he sets off to find the heirloom of his uncle and cousins and, hopefully, avenge their deaths
>>
>>46591705
What character?
>>
>>46607516
;_;
>>
>>46591705

Jedi Guardian.

Hung with some Jedi after Order 66. All were killed by Inquisitor. He was tortured in an attempt to turn him.

Didn't break. Inquisitor left him alive in the hopes he'd lead him to more Jedi.

Instead he hung out on Nar Shaddaa for about 10 years.

Hutts repossess his bar in a bullshit play, also rope other pcs in via similar means. Now hanging out with a bounty hunter and his crew, somehow trying to save the planet from a massive gang war.
>>
>>46607563
This sounds fun!
>>
>>46607070
This sounds pretty baller
>>
File: Dissapointment sets in.gif (1 MB, 478x360) Image search: [Google]
Dissapointment sets in.gif
1 MB, 478x360
>Read entire topic
>Only one person actually had enough of a backstory to take up more than a single poast.

Come on /tg/ where are your epic storytimes?
>>
>>46607668
Brevity is the soul of wit though.
>>
>>46607668
To be fair, half the story I posted was less about the character herself and more world-building that was necessary to understand first before I could get to the character...
>>
>>46607668
Epic storytimes are for actual play, not for backstory. You would reject any rube who gave you a 10-page folio for their level 1 character, wouldn't you?
>>
>>46607668

Every time I take the fucking time to write one no one gives a shit.
>>
>>46607582

It is. Our GM for this section put in heaps of work and now we're about to attack an Imperial Station orbiting the planet with the help of some Rebels.

I've been looking forward to this for two months.
>>
>>46607743
Not the person you were asking, but personally I don't mind when players write me a page or two of backstory (definitely not 10, that's Mary Sue shit). I find it pretty interesting to hear about a character's childhood, or perhaps their past experience.

Then again, I rarely play level 1 games. If it's Pathfinder, for example, I like to let players start between levels 4-6. Like... apprentice level. Not badass hardened veteran heroes, but skilled enough that they're not just some peasant who decided to start hitting things with wooden sword one day.

>>46606175
>>46606273
These posts did it well. Brief overview that gave me a good impression of how the character grew up and what kind of things they were familiar with. A bit tropey, but it's the good kind of tropey where things are interconnected in a logical way that feels like it could conceivably happen in the world without divine intervention.
>>
>>46603069
Homebrew, using the Marvel Heroic RPS as a base. I could infodump the basics if you were interested, including the crunch and all, but the gist is essentially 'Power Object Users vs. Mutant Powers while Big Brother watches'.
>>
>>46591705
Born in Amn, apprenticed with a blacksmith, got fairly decent.
Contracted by a merchant, leaned some combat skills from the soldiers he equipped.
Business got liquidated, paid his severance, decided "fuck this noise" and left Amn.
Went to become an adventurer, now finds himself about 60 miles north of Neverwinter with 5 other chumps.

I mean, he's level 1, what do you want from me?
>>
>>46608268
Stop playing D&D
>>
>>46608404
My first game of D&D in quite a while, and I'm doing it to help a friend of mine. It's his first time GM'ing and he wants someone he knows to help him as a player while he's cutting his teeth.

Satisfied?
>>
File: shuuga.png (17 KB, 307x626) Image search: [Google]
shuuga.png
17 KB, 307x626
A child of a half-dragon and man, grew around in dragon-worshipping cult, before running off. Lived rather reckless and impulsive life, and only sobered at his 40s and underwent some middle-age crisis. Deciding that he wanted a legacy, he went to do something useful.
Now he has helped resettle a town, kill a gnoll king and got caught in some demiplane that was supposed to contain bunch of efreeti.
>>
>>46608423
Tell him to run something else. You're simply encouraging bad habits.
>>
File: I Don't Think So Tim.jpg (96 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
I Don't Think So Tim.jpg
96 KB, 640x427
>>46608695
>Hay Guise, what's goin on in this thread?
>backstory backstory backstory
>oh lawd almighty, someone is playing Thing I Don't Like!
>nothing to add to the thread, might as well bitch about Thing I Don't Like instead!

Please let me know when you feel like actually contributing.
>>
Question for you lovely people.

Can one tell if someone is That Guy from his PC's backstory alone?
>>
File: The protagonist we DESERVED.png (895 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
The protagonist we DESERVED.png
895 KB, 640x720
>>46608943
see >>46607908
>A bit tropey, but it's the good kind of tropey where things are interconnected in a logical way that feels like it could conceivably happen in the world without divine intervention.

If the character feels like it wouldn't exist in the world without some kind of extreme divine intervention or GM fiat, then the player is probably That Guy.
>>
>>46608566
that guy char
>>
>Born in Japan, which is super racist towards metas
>Moved to France with mother and brothers, father stayed behind.
>Lived relatively normal life, some resentment from brothers. Went to art school, studied photography.
>Realized how fucked the world was and how her life was pointless
>Became an independent photojournalist, covered wars, gangs and the likes including Japanese metahuman concentration camps
>Forced into the shadows when Japanese government came after her.
>Picked up a drug habit, generally lives a pretty chaotic but fufilling life.
>Is now tagging along with shadowrunners, which is where play began.
>Generally her life has become worse, she's super addicted to drug, close to suicidal and all of her ambitions have been corrupted or ruined.
>The runner group that she runs with caused a nuclear war that wiped out much of the Chinese coast and led to Japan disintegrating into Civil war.

This campaign has been busy.
>>
>>46609380
Why?
>>
>>46608695
CUNT
U
N
T
>>
File: PC Motivation.jpg (48 KB, 385x327) Image search: [Google]
PC Motivation.jpg
48 KB, 385x327
>>46609476
Not that guy... but since you asked...
(avoid spoilers if you don't want a critique)

>Child of a half-dragon and a human
Already getting a little special-snowflakey there... on it's own it's not unacceptable, but realize it DOES sorta sound like a contrived excuse just to get dragon blood and/or dragon powers.

>Grew up in a cult
What does this even mean? Did they worship him because he had dragon blood, or was it a bad experience because "LOL EVIL CULT"? Why did his parents let him be raised by this cult, or was he kidnapped into it? Honestly it sounds like a poorly thought out excuse to add angst to the character for no real reason.

>Reckless and impulsive life
Of course, that's how you know he's a badass who doesn't give a fuck. But seriously, without any significant examples of things that changed his life during this period, it seems like this part has no reason purpose other than cool factor.

>Mid-Life Crisis
Ahh, see, this part is interesting and not used in many character backstories. Still... now we're left with a character who's only just now starting to become a character, and the rest of his backstory has been reduced to stuff that looks like it's only meant to show angst or gritiness.

>Decided he wanted a legacy
Why? What event changed his life? Did he colossally fuck up and feel responsible for the first time in his life? Become suicidal from his reckless lifestyle and decide he needed to clean up to live? It seems like a really big decision to just say "Yeah, he decided it out nowhere one day."

>List of Heroic Achievements
>Demiplane stuff
Yeah... no, that's stuff that needs to happen in the actual game, not in the backstory. Fan-wank needs to be earned, otherwise it just feels like undeserved bragging. "Yeah, well, my character totally beat up a dragon a demon lord! At the same time! He's more badass than your character!"
>>
An assassin who failed to assassinate the emperor, now under the guise of a travelling bard to escape the citadel.
Currently the party is hired by the emperor so I has to keep leaving making excuses such as gathering supplies every meeting as the party are currently tasked with hunting me. Shits hilarious
>>
>>46609860
The reclamation/demiplane shit is what happened in game. I probably shouldn't have included it.

As for heritage, I figured I needed some explanation for his bloodrager powers and later progression to dragon disciple levels. The cult wasn't explicitly evil, but he didn't like his father at all, who happened to be a central figure of cult. A local, rather minor reclusive cult.
And by "impulsive and reckless life", I didn't mean it in good way. He was a screwup, a hobo, occasional muscle-for-hire, bouncer, etc.
The midlife-crisis sorta triggered wanting a legacy, since he realized that he was growing old ( soon 50th birthday in the game ) with his draconic blood not contributing to longevity, so he decided to take some action.
>>
>half-elf orphan
>adopted by a former adventurer and minor noble
>he has one hell of a book collection that he squires on his travels
>teaches her to use weapons and basic adventureing stuff
>she grows up with a love of reading due to the collection of books
>as she is coming into adulthood, there is an enormous fire
>destroyed almost the entire library
>she sets out on adventure to replace the lost trove of knowledge
>adopted father isn't happy about her leaving, but feels like he can't stop her because of his own youth as an adventurer
It's the first real serious character that I've made. I don't have a lot of experience with tabletop gaming.
How bad is it?
>>
>>46610572
One of the few backstories here that's not a power-trip or edgelord-porn.
>>
>>46591705
Impellast Precipapulter, known simply as pitcher is the first son of an entertainer. Being a halfing already is cause for jokes enough, so being a professional juggler for taverns and nobles was an easy feat! Before Pitchers father died in a tumbling accident and broke his neck, the two would perform together. Now, Impellast Precipapulter is ready to become a better performer, and accrue more fame through famous exploits, and took up exploring and adventuring as easy fame.
>>
>>46591705
>ranger
>born into a tribe that worships basically Talos from the elder scrolls.
>almost the entire tribe got BTFO'd by undead except for a few survivors including me and party oracle
>>
>grew up in downtown metropolis (the ambiguous american city of our setting)
>skated through life mostly
>did wrestling in high school, got into the MMA scene after, but never made it too far
>dropped out of art school
>a mundane in a sea of people with powers
>ended up as a cook at a chinese takeout place
>one day, pushed a woman and her son out of the way of an oncoming bus, got hit instead
>fully regenerated from wounds before he was even in the ambulance
>went to an old MMA friend of his who ended up as a police officer for advice (the officer had minor powers)
>told him he could use his power to help fight supercriminals, make the city a better place, and make something of himself at last (not so directly on the latter)
>picked up surplus police vest and a taser, covered his face, and became a superhero
>>
>>46607668
I had to cut mine back to 2000 characters exactly because I'm not going to make an extra post for two more lines of green or to dump absolutely every last detail of their past stupid stories before the start of the campaign.
>>
Everyone else thinks he's just quite and taciturn. His actual backstory is that he's been drinking so long that he doesn't recall, thanks to memory issues.

Also I never actually wrote one and just play him as Boris Yeltsin mixed with Peter Gilbert of Pattern Recognition.
>>
>>46596692
Here goes nothing.
I decided to make a BBEG modeled after the first That Guy PC I could think of that fit the bill.
>Your character is a half-dragon?
>A RED half-dragon?
>AND nobility?
>Oh, he was abused as a kid? That TOTALLY justifies being Chaotic Evil.
>Fucking hell, man, I don't care how smart he is, he's not making a goddamn Simalcrum before he even gets wizard levels.
>No, I don't care that he botched it and now he has an artificial daughter and the woman who loved him is dead. Boo fucking hoo, what were you expecting when you tried to fuck the laws of nature?
>So his brother banished him for being a warlock shitter? What a shock.
>And he got nearly killed because the guy he decided to work for next betrayed him. I'd have done it, too.
>Ooh, now he gets rescued and...Seriously? THIS is where he 'turns evil'? So he's just been a bastion of light before this, eh?
>Dude, what? Kidnapping someone's daughter for revenge?
>Yeah, fuck no, all of this has gotta go. You do not get a fucking mob in the desert city at your beck and call.
>Come back when you have an actual fucking character.
>>
>Goblin 'Paladin'
>Uses Carpenter's Hammer he found in a tool box
>Attempts to read from a Holy Book
>Lacks Intelligence and can only make out scattered words
>Attempts to uphold 'Just-us'
>'Just-us' involves spouting jumbled nonsense and attacking kneecaps.
>Party Cleric occasionally gives 'Paladin' a flash of healing to make him believe he is being empowered
>Party lacks the heart to crush the Goblin's dreams
>Goblin's name is Giggy 'the very really brightest Pal-al-din'

Though his accomplishments are few, his tales of heroism are many.
>>
>>46591705
>town guard
>bit of an alcoholic
>passed out one night
>town attacked
>one of only a handful of survivors
>family and friends all dead
>alcoholism now out of control
>drunk one night, attacked by bandits
>rescued by party members
>trying to find redemption by protecting them on their adventure
>>
5e Character, Half-Elf Monk

>never met his father, a human, who left his mother upon finding out she was pregnant. His father is/was evidently a famous bard

>his mother, a high elf and Waking Syrup addict, was neglegent and had little role in raising him

>left town at a young age with a trade caravan, and arrived in the town of Phandalin where he became a smith's apprentice

>met and married a human woman, Elaidra and became a full time smith. They had three children: Ansa, Peter, and John. The last died due to complications in child birth

>his wife left him for a traveling bard(shortly after the death of their newborn) who came through town. She took his children and left to travel with him

>started drinking and gambling, thus leading to the loss of his home, tools, and profession

>began work as a pit fighter to pay off his debts(jokes about missing organs, legitimately lost a kidney in a fight when a combatant pulled a knife on him)

>after several months and a long winning streak, his debts were bought out by a noble who took him from city to city to participate in high stakes fights

>in Waterdeep, he was told by a ragged, seemingly homeless gypsy woman that he would die in a cave while wearing "the clothes of kings" and wrapped in thick fur cloaks

>while in a city, he came across the bard his wife left him for. The man didn't remember his wife, or what had become of her. Cal beat him to death

>faced with execution, he was given the choice to join military patrol in the underdark, hunting drow

>refuses to wear clothes in the underdark, believing it will keep him from the fates he has seen countless others meet

>lived in the underdark for months. Picked up Undercommon and some drow dialect from locals

>survived a drow ambush, where he was captured and placed into slavery
>>
>>46607668
You want my 6 pages of size 11 font for a character that I will never be able to use? Cause I'll dump the shit out of it here.
>>
DH2e character:

Born the eldest son of a construction magnate on an Imperium Frontier world, he lived an easy life. His mother, a famous woman on their world was extremely business savy. Half of the government buildings and vox towers in the major cities and territories were built by his family's company and his mother had managed to negotiate contracts with the Planetary government ensuring that his families company would maintain any and all roads, pipelines and utilities outside of any established municipalities (proper town or cities) Considering the two closest major cities are 600 miles away and towns are scattered in between his family is fucking rolling in thrones just based on the annual payments for maintenance.

Turns out though that Fosph (my character) is kinda of entirely unexceptional. He did ok in the finest academies and received extensive tutelage from his mother's trusted advisor but he never really stood out unlike his young siblings who were considered prodigies. It was decided by his mother that he would inherit the the portion of the family company responsible for maintenance stuff that while lucrative is kinda bullshit.

After a year of literally doing jack shit, Fosph realizes he isn't his own person. He figures out that what he's doing isn't living so he enrolls in the PDF. OF course his mother being who she is, strings are pulled and he ends up as an officer, but in reality a glorified assistant to a regimental commander, again a cushy bs job. However just in time, the Imperium comes a knocking asking for tithe for the IG. Fosph being an officer signs himself up to be attached to the men being drafted for the IG considering most available officers on the planet were desk jockeys looking for easy paychecks (the unavailable ones were exploring and taming wild territory).

So Fosph finds purpose, except not really. He's well disciplined and an ok shot, but he's not prepared for war due to the lite training he went through.
>>

Get it?
Because I don't have a current character.
>>
>>46623048
The first engagement Fosph ends up in is a nightmare. His regiment joins others for an assault against secessionists. Not even evil heretics, just people fed up with facism. Fosph has no problem fighting against them, that's his one great quality, he follows orders like no other having been groomed that way. However the battle his regiment is involved in is a fucking shitshow. Poor command and worse luck cause a huge number of casualties and puts his men on the back foot, granted he didn't cause any of this.

However the chips are down and his men are desperate, they lost a number of them and they've repelled a number of attacks, but ammo, rations and morale is exhausted. They are holed up in a fortified position but another infantry push could break his company. However his men hear an entire armored battalion rolling towards them. The men count a dozen chimeras, 3 Leman Russ tanks and a score of lighter armed vehicles.

Fosph is straining to think of possible strategies to get his men out alive when one of his men makes a crucial decision and calls in an artillery strike down on the incoming convoy in a position wy to close to them. A couple earthshattering booms later and the incoming hostiles are just dead hostiles. The men celebrate until one of the scouts checks out the wreckage. Turns out, they had called in an artillery strike down on another IG regiment. And among the wreckage is a now destroyed, seemingly outdated but once functional Warhound titan. Within an hour an Interrogator flies in with a fresh back up regiment to support and recover Fosph's men.

His men are terrified expecting execution, but Fosph steps forward and takes credit for the botched artillery strike. At least his last act will let a good soldier live to fight another day. And then the Interrogator and Colonel with him congratulate Fosph on being responsible for single handedly destroying a rebel plot.
>>
>>46623334
Turns out, the only reason the Interrogator and the regiment found Fosph and his men was because they were searching for 1 dozen stolen chimeras and 3 tanks. It just so happened that friendly armoured group had been overrun by rebels through use of betrayal and trickery. As a result the rebels had 15 imperium vehicles to escort their extra armoured vehicles + a homemade faux walker back towards IG lines. After further examination by the Interrogator on the wreckage that was the rebel's trojan horse, it turned out all of those light vehicles accompanying the chimeras were carrying extremely dangerous biological weapons. Biological weapons that only worked in water sources. The rebels were going to poison an entire supply line of the IG, compromise a front and have access to a shit ton of new good weaponry had Fosph's soldier not called in the artillery barrage.

Just like that, Fosph, who was willing to sacrifice himself to save someone else from repercussions for an assumed mistake now became a subject of interest to a very odd interrogator. Then poof, Fosph Ekmon was an official member of the inquisition, recruited for "incredible investigative skills and exemplary intuition". The man who felt he had not done anything of value had just accidentally defrauded his way into the inquisition.
>>
>>46591705
>Hunter in a small village
>Bandits raid village and steal shit
>Village elder wants us to go get said shit back
>>
>>46625426
>many hijinks ensure
>>
>>46625426
That's more of a plot-hook than a backstory...
>>
>>46625451
okay full backstory
I grew up in a small village, I was trained to be a hunter, was a hunter, killing animals in the forest for food.
Ocationally have undead wander into the village so I kill them whenever I find them too, no idea where they came from.
Village elder asks to go get shit
No longer a hunter am now an adventurer
>>
>>46617522
In case of emergency, throw goblin.
>>
>>46610572
I like it. 10/10, would adventure with.
>>
>Early 20s factory worker in a hive city, lowly family pulling through in the underhive
>still staying the fuck away from gangs because he don't want none of that trouble, officer
>marry young to a beautiful flower of a girl from his neighborhood
>underhive lifestyle starts taking a toll on everybody when a BIG tithe is requested to replenish the local PDF and Guard regiment
>his parents both die in three months, kinda what happens when you work in a steel mill at 60 under bad working conditions and limited rations
>his wife brings home some more money than usual, one day, says she bet on a game of dice
>enjoy extra money for food
>it happens again and again for some time, until she stops winning for good
>where did you spend your night? How MUCH did you lose?
>Emperor, this is bad
>WHO did you borrow money from?
>he loves her, but after a while resentment sets in
>wife gets taken by the mob, he only knows she died, probably suffered worse but he doesn't want to know.
>contemplates taking revenge, but it's the freaking underhive mob, he would die at the first mook looking at him wrong
>depression sets in, strongly contemplating suicide
>another tithe is announced, talking of glorious life and honor in arms
>fuck it. I'll join the guard and die for something that's worth it
>during basic, he's selected for DMR training
>assigned to the scout section, 6th company of the 420th Brontian regiment
>Yeah, we gotta go clean up this world, it has remnants of a Waaagh on it and the local PDF needs help
>what can go wrong?

turns out that lots of shit can go wrong.
>>
>>46617522
Story tiem? I want to hear about the very really brightest palaldin!
>>
Shadowrun
> be adopted Elf in normie family
> get picked on as a kid
> join a street gang, lift some cars
> get the heat on me, join the military to escape
> get transferred to the ass end of Africa
> all the locals want to shoot me except the ghouls, they want to eat me
> one day messing around with my wingman in helicopters
> go to land coptor
> hear crunch, landings don't go crunch
> look down
> I've landed on a limo
> I've landed on a corp limo
> I've landed on a megacorp limo
> mayaswellstickmyheadintherotors.jpg
> get knocked around a lot but megacorp PR decides not geek me
> burn my SIN instead
> spend the rest of my money to smuggle myself back to Seattle

and that's how I became a shadowrunner
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.