[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to run a pathfinder game with a snappy 5e "feel"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160410_205905.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160410_205905.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
I want to run a pathfinder game with a snappy 5e "feel" to it. How do I achieve this?
>>
If you want it to feel like a specific game system, just use that system.
>>
>>46590512
Play 5E. If you must have Pathfinder's content, convert it.
>>
>>46590512
Care to clue us in on why you don't just run 5e?
>>
Didn't one of the newer supplements have suggestions for streamlining the rules?

e.g. condensing the number of skills.
>>
>>46590590
>>46590656
>>46590545
>>46590637
Converting everything in an AP seems like too much work. Monsters may be fine but loot and treasure must be rebalanced and I don't think that's going to be easy
>>
>>46590656
Yeah, it's called 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons.
>>
>>46590670
You don't have to rebalance loot, just the bloated-ass critter numbers.
>>
>>46590637
I want to run a PF and entire path as is but I don't have enough rules knowledge.
>>
>>46590670
>Implying you won't have to rebalance everything anyway
Pathfinder is not designed to be short and snappy. Pathfinder is complex, slow, messy and - let's be honest - poorly balanced. It's everything 5E tries not to be. Saying you want a snappy pathfinder game is like saying you want hot ice.
>>
Remove 90% of the pages
>>
>>46590670
Good time to learn to actually run games.
>>
File: helmet_with_face_mask_250.jpg (12 KB, 250x345) Image search: [Google]
helmet_with_face_mask_250.jpg
12 KB, 250x345
>I want to kill myself but remain concious
>>
>>46590670
>Monsters may be fine but loot and treasure must be rebalanced and I don't think that's going to be easy
It'll be a lot easier than trying to capture a 5e feel with Pathfinder.

Just reroll the loot: http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/treasure-generator.html

And rebalance encounters: http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

Bam. There. Most of the work is done for you.
>>
>Core rulebook ONLY
>Use Consolidated Skills optional rule
>Use Unchained Action Economy optional rule
>Use Automatic Bonus Progression optional rule and remove any magic item from the AP that grants a static bonus
>Drop attacks of opportunity
>Drop critical hit rule or adopt 5e's
>>
>>46590670
>>46590512
Ban core, use DSP classes and Spheres of Power.
>>
>>46591236
Why? I was thinking about only allowing core.
>>
>>46591199
Can you explain why do you suggest dropping AoO and crits?
>>
>>46591377
Drop AOOs to speed up combat and crits to reduce rolling and weapon optimisation. I'm not saying they're bad rules.
>>
>>46590670
Just run 5e. Anything you need to change from the adventure path, improvise
>>
>>46591539
Do spells from PF map well to 5e spells?

>>46591448
I don't have problems with those rules too, except I think that PF has more triggers for AoOs.
My players aren't familiar with PF so I don't think we are going to have a problem with characters who are over optimized
>>
>>46591912
>>46591334
Even if you don't have any optimizers, they can still easily invalidate other characters by something as simple as class choice.
If one of your players picks a fighter and another one picks a druid, then you've got the problem that one class feature of the latter is stronger than the entire character of the former.

The big advantage of DSP classes is that they're close in terms of both scope and power.
They're PF's equivalent of ToB+XPH+MoI.
>>
>>46592193
Okay, the jig is up. I have zero idea what any of that means. What's DSP? Can I just ban fighter if he sucks so much?
>>
>>46592299
Dreamscarred Press, a third-party publisher for Pathfinder content. They all have way more options for combat characters, but that's the complete opposite of what you want.

Ignore the DSP shills, the general thread is full of them too.
>>
>>46590512
>I want to run a pathfinder game with a snappy 5e "feel" to it. How do I achieve this?
Look, you are not running 5ed, you are running Pathfinder, its going to play different, not better, not worse, just different, and you need to embrace this and run Pathfinder like Pathfinder or you are going to have a terrible experience with it.

The last thing you should do is try to make any system something it is not.
>>
>>46592299
You can ban everything except Wizard, Druid and Cleric, then you only have to deal with all the spell lists.
>>
>>46590512
As much as I think not just running 5e is stupid, you could try giving players a tier or two of epic, or divine, or whatever it's called. This will make them a little more superheroy. Also just condense the skill list and give a static bonus based on level to skills instead of skill points.

Best I can think of.
>>
Things 5e does that makes it feel more snappy to me:
>full attacks don't exist and martials can move and do all of their attacks in the same turn
>the retarded 5ft step is gone and players are free to move around in the threatened zone of enemies
>flanking is gone and rogues get sneak attack as long as at least one more ally threatens their target.

Could OP cherrypick these rules and play a pathfinder game with them? It would invalidate all feats and class features related to flanking, 5ft stepping, and full attack actions, but is that actually a big deal?
>>
>>46592820
The best rule I've come across to remove iterative attacks is from Trailblazer:

>At 6th level, you get a 2nd attack, but both attacks suffer a -2 penalty (-2/-2 instead of 0/-5).
>At 11th level, the penalty drops to -1/-1 (instead of 0/-5/-10).
>At 16th level, the penalty drops to -0/-0 (instead of 0/-5/-10/-20).
>>
>>46592820
I also like the "action economy" of 5e and especially bonus actions. It's just more defined then fifteen types of actions in PF
>>
>>46590512

Just play 5e.
>>
>>46590670
It's tough, but not that bad. Once you get used to running 5e, it's fairly easy to convert as you go.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.