[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You should be able to solve this...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 15
File: 1401310889352.jpg (45 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
1401310889352.jpg
45 KB, 400x550
Alright, you've likely heard the complaints about all dwarves being the same stubborn, memeing, gimli clone or in other words every dwarf seems to be The Dwarf and just really samey. Some say it's unavoidable. Let's put that to the test.

Make a plausible dwarf character that isn't a surly gimli clone. Bonus points if they aren't a black sheep.

No...It can't be a dwarf from your homebrew setting. Any other official setting, go for it.

Hardmode: Has to be male. In other words no using female as a crutch
>>
File: 00% mad.jpg (49 KB, 676x858) Image search: [Google]
00% mad.jpg
49 KB, 676x858
>implying I'm not perfectly happy with surly gimli clones
>>
A smith who travels around testing out new weapon designs against baddies.
>>
File: weekends r tough.jpg (131 KB, 1127x832) Image search: [Google]
weekends r tough.jpg
131 KB, 1127x832
>>46586541
The problem is if you take a concept like an "elf", or "dwarf" and make it completely non-stereotypical and interesting... well, that's good, that's very good, but at that point you probably aren't going to call it just an "elf" or "dwarf", and if you do you're just trying to show off how original you are.

In other words, if you take a dwarf and make it into something thoroughly undwarf-like, most people will no longer call it a dwarf.
>>
French accented trader. Is incredibly hair but also very stylish and well groomed. Trades mostly in gem and furs and is quite good with crossbow, often bagging and skinning many animals himself. Prefer surfacer wine since their grapes make for a better vintage, but thinks their food is horribly overcooked and lacking in cream sauces and mushrooms. Outgoing.
>>
>>46586541
I always liked the Jewish banker city-dwarves from the Witcher series.
>>
>>46586582
It's an individual though, not the entire race. Which is why OP excludes homebrew settings. You can't honestly say everyone plays their elves the same either.
>>
Brann Bronzebeard from Warcraft
>>
>Skinny (for a dwarf) dude with a snazzy moustache but no beard
>Master brewer and experimenting with distilled drinks, aiming to produce the smoothest whiskey on the material plane.
>Can't hold his drink for shit, is conscious about it and hide behind his "a merchant shouldn't be addicted to his own wares" excuse and rarely drink.
>>
Just have a bunch of happy maurading troll slayers from Warhammer.

Done. They are young, brash, ass kicking dwarfs who hang out with humans and near humans to get a chance to kick more ass. They are also friendly towards humans as well, but they are indeed surly, stubborn, drunks.
>>
A stern dwarven cleric, who travels around bringing endarkenment (enlightenment? You mean being dazed and unable to see clearly) to the masses. Generally whether they're interested or not, or whether he's interested or not. They're not dwarves so they're not really worth the effort, but Moradin works in mysterious ways.
>>
Scheming mountain merchant/banker that sucks at fighting and is obsessed with gold.
Reclusive engineer that possesses knowledge unknown in the outside world (explosives, blackpowder guns, machinery)
Religious fanatic who was forced to leave his mountain in order to obtain x in order to stop y, y will eventually cause the destruction of his religious group which has never left the mountain before. Obviously he has some weird ideas about the outside world and he thinks it's everyone elses fault for fucking up his wonderful mountain.
>>
File: DwarfJimProfit.jpg (82 KB, 400x709) Image search: [Google]
DwarfJimProfit.jpg
82 KB, 400x709
>>46586541
>Ilmig (Gimli backward HUURHUUR)
>Is a dwarf who loves ballet.
>"But ballet is fucking gay" his dwarf parents told him, so he became a fighter just like all the other dwarves.
>However he refuses to give up his love of the dance and combines his dance with his weapon skills to make an actual martial art instead of that dumb shit the monks are doing.
>Still fucking hates elves. Dwarves may have called him a faggot but elves outright criticize his graceful step and think they're the only ones who can dance. You call that pointy-elf monkey shit where a slut plays with her tits dancing? Fuck you...
>>
>Lord of the Rings
>Hamlin
>Had the wanderlust, left the Lonely Mountain after the end of War of the Ring, when the roads were safer
>Settled down in the Shire, lives among Hobbits
>A bit obsessed with tidiness, shaves his hair and beard regularly because it's easier to keep tidy that way
>Doesn't fight, likes telling stories
>Drinks beer, but can't stand being drunk, likes to keep a clear head
>Loves stories about the Elves most of all, admires their grace and virtue, and the tragedy of their many failings
>Laments the fact that the Elves had all left Middle-Earth before he was born, wishes he could've met one in person
>>
He's a ship constructor who enjoys practical jokes and doesn't get along with his family because they're artists and more concerned with aesthetics than practicality.
>>
>>46586968
8/10 go follow your dream you beautiful bastard!
>>
>>46586541
A fine hunter/cook who is looking for exotic ingredients. Only the finest and most exotic tastes will do, but that does include some good beer and meat every now and then.
>>
>>46586541
The Artemis Fowl series has dwarves whose beards are tremorsense whiskers and harden like metal for a few minutes after being pulled, allowing them to be used as lockpicks. They also have huge teeth, and burrow through the earth by eating everything, aside from the metal and minerals that they can't digest.

The dwarf character in the books is mostly a jerkass thief.
>>
By basing them on norse mythology.
>>
The entire dwarven species has a hive mind. Deep beneath the mountainhome lies the Queen. Less fanservice, more termite.
>>
>>46586541
I'm playing a dwarf tax collector in forgotten realms.

Wears a suit, waxes his moustache, trims his beard politely, uses a polearm, is a prissy annoying prick with a tendency to be overly precise, and rages and kills people when they file the wrong fucking tax paperwork because his class is barbarian.
>>
>>46586541
Pretty sure Shadowrun dwarves don't act anything like traditional dwarves.
>>
>Hardmode: Has to be male. In other words no using female as a crutch
Glad to see /tg/ is as misogynistic as ever.
>>
>>46586541

Fuck you everything already has been done once, so if I would come up with something people would still shit on it *because it's already been done in setting x*

Dorfs are dorfs. And dorfs are good.
>>
>>46588148
In shadowrun everyone is literally "human" + random shit. That said they do have dwarf crafting guilds that only deal with dwarves because every metahuman has decided to sterotype themselves.
>>
>>46586541
Pavelig Plaidbeard is from a pretty underground place; you've probably never heard of it. He likes organic fair-trade microbrewery pale ales and hand-combed mohair sweaters, but still venerates the dwarven ancestors according to traditions.
>>
>>46586541
>dwarf with mental condition
>dwarf raised outside of dwarf culture

Boom, two easy settings so you can tailor your dwarf to whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>46588273
> bonus points if they aren't black sheep
>>
>>46588169
I think the point is that the stereotype is always male, so breaking it by merely making a female character isn't as difficult as making a non-stereotypical male dwarf.

Then again, I'm not OP and don't know his life.
>>
>>46586541
Simple.
Dwarven entrepreneur /banker who travels with party.
He provides them money for prospecting and surveying ruins for possible Enterprises. Funding their equipment. Distributing loot in party so everyone gets his or hers just reward.

Works as a secondary party face - only comes in to negotiate the deals, trades etc.
Also starts, and manages multiple venues - old ruins that party scavenged? Now a resort, quarry or a museum.

Stays behind in combat, trying to take command and coordinate the party. Tactician.
Lackluster melee combat skills other than Tavern brawling.
>>
>>46586541
Cleric who is out traveling, finding stolen weapons and items to return to his clan.

Fighter/Rogue "Locksmith" who is armored with a standard dwarven axe, but uses his backstab as a combat team fighting and can make his way through locks and mechanical traps.
>>
My friend made a dwarf once that as soon as we stepped into the DnD campaign he tried to use game mechanics to set up an automated brewery, he wore a big ass cowboy/sunhat, a poncho, and his pauldrons were mini barrels of ale. Filled mini barrels of ale.
>>
>>46588191
Fun fact - Shadowrun taught me the definition of 'stereotype' because of the dwarf mechanic complaining about it and the elf decker running from it.
>>
>>46586541
>>46586541
>>46586541
dorf who seeks to mine the sky

to everyone's shock, he succeeds ushering in the airship age
>>
Iron dwarves from warcraft
>>
>>46586541
>chuckling old grandpapa-type with pockets full of clockwork wonders for children
>>
>>46587547
>The dwarf character in the books is mostly a jerkass thief
I'M APPALLED YOU WOULD SAY SUCH A THING!

Mulch Diggums is a goddamn national treasure.

but seriously this is the best example of a dwarf face/rogue you're ever likely to find.
>>
>>46586541
Dwarf masseur living in an urban city, and doing massage for rich people.
Flamboyantly gay and bara.
Constantly has busty and beautiful female customers whose advances he foils, but he likes to discuss fashion and cosmetics with them.
>>
>>46586642
this, i hate the meme that every dwarf has to be fat or muscular, or both. Even if he is a merchant or any other profession which doesn't require physical work
>>
>>46586541
Surface trader dwarf that doesn't really grow a beard and prefers to use a crossbow to protect himself

Id play him as a bard or some half-caster probably since full martial doesn't really suit that hes more focused on trading and intellectual stuff
>>
>>46590879
>meme
I think its more that the race is largely defined by its physicality, and part of that is being short and stocky, moreso than elves who have a somewhat broader set of definitions.
>>
>>46588169
>>46588370
He's right. It's mostly because female dwarves aren't as codified as male dwarves and you could end up with people making a bunch of female dwarves without solving the gimli clones. It's not like they aren't allowed. It's just hardmode.
>>
A Dwarven actor who acts like a surly Gimli clone. He is adventuring to better perfect his character for an up coming because he is one of those crazy method actors.

He does not do well in most adventure related scenarios on account of normally being a coward and cannot actually use his axe all that well.
>>
>>46587218
This one touched my cold dead heart. Would be best pal ever with.
>>
>>46590157
I think elves and dwarves need more whimsical grandpa types. They're perfect for it.
>>
A friendly and kindhearted (if a bit foolish) beekeeper. Lives on the surface but is accepted by general dwarven society due to his good nature and mead ingredients.

A stern dwarven matron. She cares deeply for the children under her care and takes no shit from anyone. Loves alcohol, but can't drink as much as she'd like because she needs a clear head to take care of the children

A creepy murderhobo. Driven only by greed, his moral standards are incredibly low. He pretends to have dwarven honor, but is in fact a dirty fighter, using underhanded tricks and poisons to supplement his great physical strength.
>>
>>46586607
Yes, but elves have certain character traits. You can't seriously have a good setting where you can play any race with any character trait.
Dwarves are bearded, always drunk, and good smiths/miners.
Elves are tall, slender, have a supperiority complex and for some reason get a massive boner from nature.
It's the way the race is defined. You don't need to have all of those traits at 120% all the time, but they should be part of the character.
>>
>>46595428
>Elves are tall

Or short

>and for some reason get a massive boner from nature

Only if they're wood elves

Even with some standard traits they're not all clones of each other. I can't say the same for dwarves, especially since the standard dwarf traits of today are a result of gimli clones. Tolkien at least had more going on with them.

>Dwarves are bearded

Yes

>always drunk, and good smiths/miners

And don't need to be gimli clones to meet one of those in some way.
>>
> mountain dwarf gets a steong case of the wanderlust
> decides to be a cartograpger and make the most detailed set of maps ever, going so far that he even wants to include larger rocks or interesting looking trees
> he also asks the locals about any stories behind the objects he adds to his maps, he then adds a number to the object and an entry to the number in his extremely detailed logbook
> whenever he gets to a major city he sells his maps and logbooks, making sure they don't go into some art collection, but will actually get reprinted in a more rough version
> due to the extreme amount of detail on the maps the reprinted versions have a lot less detail though, and finding one of his originals is the wet dream of every cartographer
> adventurers often rely on his maps quite a lot, and since he was a dwarf he was not afraid to enter the first few rooms of a dungeon himself, but anything deeper than that made it too difficult to actually write in the darkness, without getting any candle-wax on his precious map, or setting them on fire
> our brave cartographer (commonly know as "the brave cartographer" actually) however had an extreme fear of the sea, and thus a lot of island or costal areas are still unknown
>>
I want to play a Dwarven Runesmith. That's a Dwarven Wizard for the uninitiated. His is a position that is common in Dwarfholds, maintaining the dwarven magical traditions. He seeks to discover the lost runes.
>>
File: 1446400439771.jpg (115 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1446400439771.jpg
115 KB, 500x750
>>46586541
Extremely economically cunning, extremely good at predicting changes in the stock market, as well as supply and demand. Is slowly building a subterranean empire out of members of noble houses, whom he essentially bought out. Working for him/being a member of his guild is beneficial to them in several ways, but always much more beneficial to him, and, thanks to him, they'd all be living on the streets if they refused to work with him, anyway. He's EXTREMELY shrewd and calculating, like a Lawful Evil combination of Bill Gates and Ebenezer Scrooge. Perhaps he uses some of his money and what little spare time he has to train in swordplay.
>>
So its Gimli, Jew or Brewer? That's it?
>>
>>46595428
>>46595678
>Dwarves are bearded
>always drunk, and good smiths/miners
Fabulous dwarven jewelry smith. Has a beard, but is fashionably styled as opposed to just grown out. Has a taste for the drink, but only enjoys fruity ones.
>>
File: confused iop.gif (2 MB, 517x400) Image search: [Google]
confused iop.gif
2 MB, 517x400
>>46586541
>tfw I've never played a Dwarf
>>
>>46596364
Read
>>46593607
>>46590703
>>46588216
>>46595804
>>
A dwarven bard who will go on long tangents or long monologues about history and his ancestors. Every other place or situation he has been in reminds him of the time one of his ancestors did this specific thing. Plays a hurdy gurdy.
>>
>>46588273
Don't forget
>Dwarf raised within Dwarf culture, but does their own thing anyway, fuck the haters

People aren't culture-regurgitating robots. They can develop their own lives, their own beliefs, their own personal tastes and values. They can develop critical thinking skills on their own. They can develop a sense of self-awareness on their own. They can develop a sense of self-confidence on their own.

It's ridiculous to assume that a Dwarf, raised in a Dwarven culture surrounded by other Dwarves, would automatically act in rigid lockstep with every other Dwarf they had ever known. If you try writing Dwarves (or any non-human, really) like actual people, with histories, drives, formative experiences and so on, you will side-step 90% of all stereotypes without even trying.
>>
File: 023.png (1 MB, 1125x1600) Image search: [Google]
023.png
1 MB, 1125x1600
>>46587397
So the dwarf from Dungeon Meshi?
>>
Duardin :^)
>>
Pretentious ass shitbag inferiority complex grump-bug begrudgingly leaving their steampunk ant tunnels to "teach all the surface dwellers a thing or to" (read: to immerse herself in, experience, and collect trivia and understanding of) fine opera, ballet, and interpretive dance. Also, a total badass with a hammer and forge, a real sense of elegance in perfecting a tool's function. Never cuts their beard.

Hack: Literally just take whatever Dwarf you had and make them a woman. Suddenly they're a mold-breaker. Holy fuck can you get any more token than representing the other 50% or Dwarves? Like that's pretty niche. It's actually unrealistic you'd ever run in to a woman Drawf considering only half of them are woman make sure to make lots of racist jokes before introducing them or the internet will call you tumblr
>>
>>46588169
Fuck off /co/mblr shitter
>>
>>46586568
This but also a cleric of the forge god.

I miss playing Dain.
>>
>>46600478
>Hack: Literally just take whatever Dwarf you had and make them a woman. Suddenly they're a mold-breaker.

Why hard mode exists.
>>
Old One-Eye is a white-haired, grizzled captain of a mining team. He has a heart of gold and has gone through hell and back to ensure he's never lost a man, but he's 99% tough love.

Too dwarfy, not dwarfy enough...?
>>
>>46589095
I love it! Guy goes out of the mountain during a storm, sees the flashes of lightning in the clouds, and says to himself "I don't know what that is, but I'm making it into a weapon."
>>
>>46596607
Then play one.
>>
File: varric[1].jpg~original.jpg (54 KB, 467x496) Image search: [Google]
varric[1].jpg~original.jpg
54 KB, 467x496
>>46586541
>ctrl-F 'varric'
>0 results

I'm seriously dissapoint, /tg/.
>>
>>46601047
>Hey, have you heard about these new dwarves called sky dwarves?
>Sky Dwarves? whaddya mean? I thought there were only two kinds of dwarves. Ya know, Mountain dwarves and hill dwaves.
>Well, there's more to it than that, but these new dwarves apparently live up in the sky!
>.... Have you been eating mushrooms again? I keep telling you not to eat strange shit in dungeons man.
>No! I'm serious! there are dwarves that live in the sky!
>Riiiiight, and next thing you'll be telling me that I'm a long lost princess of albania
>I'm serious man! They got these huge flying machines -
>Flying machines? That's impossible
>But it's true! they have these huge wooden machines with wings attached and fly them around using magic.
>Alright, so what do they do up there then? Besides literally pissing on us and calling it rain.
>Well, you didn't hear it from me, but apparently they're mining lightning
>Lightning...
>Yeah, they're supposed to be trying to turn it into a weapon of some sort.
>Okay... Lemme see if I got this right. There are little men that live in the sky and use magical flying machines to mine lightning to turn it into weapons.
>Yeah, now ya got it!
>....
>What?
>You're not coming into my pub anymore. You don't need beer if you're already that drunk.
>>
File: senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg (38 KB, 201x284) Image search: [Google]
senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg
38 KB, 201x284
>>46586541

Older Dwarf that lived life as an adventurer for maybe 100yr or so. Eventually more or less figures he doesn't want to risk fighting stronger enemies and refines his cooking abilities since it's always been something he's enjoyed. Uses his knowledge of monsters to create delicacies out of them. Melts down his adamantium shield into a large Wok he uses for cooking almost everything.
>>
>>46590196
Mulch Diggums is the most overpowered character relative to setting I've ever seen. He can break all the faerie rules so he can do anything and he suffers no consequence while everyone else would be crippled, he's super tough and strong as hell, his spit has healing powers, he can pick any lock, he literally has beard sonar that can detect a bug farting through a mile of earth, can dig through anything, shoot rocks out of his ass with perfect accuracy and extreme speed, speak any language including any and all animals, can eat and store, regurgitate or shit out anything.

Like fucking shit I liked those books and I liked his character but he was the most obvious "break glass in case of bad writing" plot device ever. Whenever he wrote himself into a corner suddenly mulch would show up to fix everything, whipping new powers and skills out of his ass as needed.
>>
Dorf with severe agoraphobia. The hiding of which leads him to behave more stereotypically while on the surface.

He can't understand how people can act so relaxed under all that open sky. He's a lot more cheerful and approachable once he's got something nice an solid overhead.
>>
>>46605737
He should carry around an umbrella, or better, wield it as a weapon.
>>
>>46590879
You're misusing the word 'meme' friend.
>>
>>46586582
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/01/dwarves-are-lazy-because-they-are.html
>>
I have a concept I never fot to play, based on a couple of throwaway lines of fluff in a 3.5 book. Nothing great but I'll share.

;y idea was a relatively young dwarf who had enough of the traditional ways of dwarven metalworking and so delved in the study of metal magic, an ancient art practiced by giants. By studying ancient carvings on a remote mountaintop on the surface, he becomes a wu-jen (a sort of crappy wizard) specialized in the school of Metal. As an added touch, wu-jen have to take up one (or more) taboos, one of which is having to be always clean-shaven.
However, since dwarves and giants have long-standing grudges,so he gets rejected from the community for his un-dwarvish ways.
As for his personality, I envision him as a sort of kung-fu movie antagonist, not necessarily evil but motivated exclusively by his pursuit of knowledge, end-justifies-the means way; possibly a bit deranged due to isolation but mostly cold and detached.
>>
>>46605779
But an umbrella is just a bit of fabric stretched over some tin rods.

HOW IS THAT SUPPOSED TO STOP ANYTHING?
>>
>>46605921
the same way a security blanket does
>>
We have these stereotypes because at the point when your character stops being defined by race, you MIGHT AS WELL make them a human.
>>
File: 1457355149252.png (83 KB, 211x244) Image search: [Google]
1457355149252.png
83 KB, 211x244
>>46605990
>"might as well make them human" meme
>>
>>46605990
There's a difference between being defined by and being influenced by. To most of the examples here it matters that they are a dwarf.
>>
>>46586541
Bitch, please.
>Dwarven lich
>Dresses himself up in finery and screws with human civilizations from time to time by having skeletons dace the cucaracha through the streets
I actually have a dwarven lich in my setting, but she doesn't qualify because you said no females.
>>
>>46605921
It's made of dwarven steel and magic fabric. Or something. Maybe a magic axe that transforms into an umbrella and vice versa?
>>
>>46606007
Females aren't verboten, it just can't be an originality crutch.
>>
>>46605654
In all fairness to Master Diggums, all dwarves can do all that shit, and any faerie can give up magic and not be subject to faerie law. All that is unique to him is his personality.
>>
>>46606007
Hardmode existing in the OP isn't a ban on female dwarves. It's mainly to point out you can make an overplayed character concept seem fresh by flipping their gender. Which is cheap but that doesn't mean no girls allowed ever.
>>
Gonthur Billbrew

He is stubborn, short, bearded, and muscular.
He likes alcohol and smithing.

Defining factor?

He's a human
>>
>>46606006
>To most of the examples here it matters that they are a dwarf.
Honestly, >>46593607 got me here.

I concede my point.
>>
>>46606046
But there are zero other dwarves that ever actually show up or do anything. I can accept the argument that all dwarves are OP in setting, but the fact is that Mulch just shows up to solve problems with sudden new powers and skills every single time. Which is even more ridiculous because the other characters are: A Swat officer with magic and wings and determination powers, the smartest, richest person in the world, the strongest most competent operator in the universe, the best hacker in existence, etc. And yet still for EVERY problem they end up going "iunno lets call mulch and he'll just do everything."
>>
>>46586541
>Make a plausible dwarf character that isn't a surly gimli clone
Long story short: every stereotype is a stereotype. Gimli is Gimli and the few named Warcraft dwarves are the named Warcraft dwarves. Race does not imply culture, and different members of the same race can have different cultures (which is why this whole idea of a "black" culture in America makes no sense).

But if you want a culture that results in non-Gimli's, I like the idea of making dwarves short slavs: they still fight hard, they still drink hard, they're just no longer pseudo-scots.
>>
>>46606142
But no one likes slavs
>>
>>46586541
He takes that classic dwarven stubbornness and perfectionism that the typical dwarf applies to physical craftsmanship and uses it to excel at the practice of wizardry. In his mountainhome this is not terribly uncommon. He scorns flashiness and trickery in favor of raw functionality for practical purposes, being trained essentially as a thaumaturgical engineer. He enjoys his creature comforts a bit too much, especially dwarven liquor, but is otherwise a noble and dependable man.
>>
>>46587547
Their spit is also bioluminescent and can harden into a glowing rock-like substance. They are also capable of withstanding incredible pressures and surviving off of gas in their intestines.
>>
>>46586541

Once made myself a dwarf ranger. He dual-wielded pickaxes and specialized in underground wilderness. Idea was that he was a mining scout, out wandering the extensive caves that fantasy worlds always have, searching for fresh sites. Aside from that, kind of a general ranger personality. I would probably have developed something more interesting for him if that game hadn't evaporated.

But hey, it's not Gimli, right?
>>
File: 1404834890774.jpg (114 KB, 457x450) Image search: [Google]
1404834890774.jpg
114 KB, 457x450
>>46606156
>t. 1/16th Prussian-American
>>
>>46605990
>We have these stereotypes because at the point when your character stops being defined by race, you MIGHT AS WELL make them white.
>>
>>46606197

Pls the anon is probably in Europe. There aren't many slavs here in the U.S
>>
>>46606218
Hating slaves does not require knowing any slavs. It only requires knowing that the Poles now occupy half of Grossprussiums imperialiums.
>>
>>46606226

No idea what the last two words are suppose to mean but the Soviets did that so blame jews, Russians (mongols) and Stalin (Georgian) for that
>>
>>46586541
Silent to a fault, smokes a cigar instead of drinking, mans obnoxiously large bothhandscannons. Builds them himself, specifically builds them sturdy so he can also beat people with them. Beard short and stubby because he keeps burning it off accidentally, doesn't give a shit because huntan dragons. Prefers to let explosives, the business end of a bombard, a stack of plans, or rude gestures do the talking for him. Both eyes were lost in an early accident, has magitech replacements that let him single out structural weakpoints.
>>
File: wombat123-squash.gif (15 KB, 339x373) Image search: [Google]
wombat123-squash.gif
15 KB, 339x373
Superior dorf inspiration coming through.
>>
>>46586541
Varric from Dragon Age is pretty great. He writes hard-boiled detective novels, for one thing--you don't get much of that from Gygaxian dwarves.

Additionally, no beard and he dresses like something of a fop.
>>
>>46605921
Swap the rod out for a spear.
Or a gun.
>>
>>46606275
>He writes hard-boiled detective novels
Also trashy romance novels. Like, that setting's equivalent of those ones with Fabio on the cover.
>>
>>46586541
Chipper, self-reliant archaeologist/explorer
>>
File: Retard Registry.png (127 KB, 400x551) Image search: [Google]
Retard Registry.png
127 KB, 400x551
>>46605990
>>
>gentleman explorator and writer dwarf
>absolute jew sea merchant dwarf with ridiculous mustache and figuratively long reach
>gun nut dwarf on the loose with dagerous murderhobos
>that oddball mage dwarf who insists plate armor's benefits outweights the difficulty to cast
>pony cavalier, son of a stud farm owner, high status
>-earth- air element monk dwarf with surprisingly nimble moves... and pocket sand
>>
>>46586541
Varric from DA 2 and Inquisition. Simple changes from the archetype, but it worked.
>>
Of all the tolkienesc archetypes, are Dwarves the ones that stay truest to the source material(or at the very least the bastardisation of the source material by DnD). It seems like alot of modern fantasy has tried to re invent Orcs, Elves, Wizards etc, but Dwarfs are always burly manlets with beards who are jolly and fun loving but also conservative and covetous.
>>
The only dwarf I've ever played was a fairly lean and tall (for a dwarf) guy, who wore bandages around his head (burned man style) because he had a weird skin disease (part of rolemaster's character creation roles) was clean shaven and bald.

He was an assassin who used a falchion and poison and fairly dwarvey other than that.

I don't see how it's hard to make an original dwarf.
>>
>>46586765
>Endarkenment

RIP Terry Pratchett, friendbro.
>>
>>46607636
Tolkien dwarves are jews.
>>
Gimli was suave and courteous.
>>
>>46595428
>You can't seriously have a good setting where you can play any race with any character trait.
You could if you didn't intentionally restrict your players' roleplaying freedom to a few stereotypes
>Dwarves are bearded, always drunk, and good smiths/miners.
Depends on the setting
>Elves are tall, slender, have a supperiority complex and for some reason get a massive boner from nature.
Depends on the setting. Tolkien's elves didn't have a superiority complex (not past the First Age anyways), but they legitimately were superior to mortals in most ways due to being divine beings. The massive boner from nature was less an elf thing and more a old-enough-to-remember-the-first-years-of-the-world thing, and they share it with pretty much all "good" characters and races.
>>
>>46605855
http://www.madadventurers.com/angry-rants-stop-playing-against-stereotypes/
>>
I had a Dwarf Cleric/Bard of the Homebrew God of Laughter, Revelry, and Joy. Always told puns, literally all the time.
He still liked drinking and fighting and all, but he was never one for forging or mining, though he was a swell baker.
>>
Be shaggy hippy dwarf druid with hugest of beards. Done.
>>
>>46606206
A lot of people would genuinely say this.
>>
File: 1458273802974.jpg (12 KB, 280x272) Image search: [Google]
1458273802974.jpg
12 KB, 280x272
>>46605094
You're not funny.
>>
>>46616846
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46586541
Piotyr Dragunov. He drinks vodka, he uses a hammer and sickle, and he has a mighty beard. He's immediately recognizable as a dwarf, but he's not anything like gimli.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.