[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unseen Underground civ game, thread 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 7
File: OP.png (318 KB, 870x1296) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
318 KB, 870x1296
As promised, it's time for another exciting episode of the Unseen civilization!

But first, a quick recap of what we have so far.

>We are the Unseen. A race living in a massive underground cave. Physically weak and poor combatants, we're gifted diplomats and have a talent for illusion magic. Our cave opens up to a dense jungle.

>A group of cultists, worshipping the sun, escaped from our caves to live on the surface. We have since opened up diplomatic contact with them, and they don't seem to bear us much ill will.

>We've established a small religion of our own. This spider cult is being used to encourage people to have more children and places importance in strong family bonds. Not many people are members of this cult, but it's slowly gaining in popularity.

>We've managed to train a reliable, if not overly powerful, group of illusionists to help us in many way. One of our mages even discovered the secret of pyromancy. We've also learned magical hypnotism, though it only works on animals.

>After some effort, we have started creating our own written language. Though crude and simple, this is a great step forward in the development of our culture.

>We've discovered one other sapient race so far, the Scorpion-People. We've learned their language and make them our friends, and got them to help set up an orchard. We're relying on illusions to interact with them. Letting them see our true form might make them less happy to work with us. In time, these powerful warriors could become useful allies, valuable slaves, or terrifying enemies.
>>
File: Big Map.png (390 KB, 4000x3500) Image search: [Google]
Big Map.png
390 KB, 4000x3500
We're playing this fast and loose, so I'm keeping the rules simple:
>Everyone is free to join, even if you haven't played in previous threads.
>Everyone is free to call out suggestions on how to spend the next turn.
>The first suggestion that gets three votes will be used.
>If there are several suggestions that appear to be equal, I'll either chose one at random or call for a tie-breaker.
>There's no need to roll for actions unless I ask for it. So please don't.
>When I do ask for a roll, a single d100 will usually suffice. If not, I'll specifically mention what to roll.
>We're all in this to have fun. Try to stay civil, even when you think people are making dumb choices. Bad behaviour is more disrupting than bad decisions

STATISTICS:
>Population: Small
>Army: Minor (Militia)
>Magic: Minor
>Religion: Minor (Spider Cult)

IMPORTANT STUFF:
>Owned sites:
> > The Cave-Homes
> > 1 Orchard (Fenced)

>Special People:
> > 1 Illusionist (lvl3 illusion magic)
> > 1 Pyromancer/Illusionist (lvl2 fire + lvl1 illusion magic)
> > 4 Illusionists (lvl2 illusion magic)
> > 1 Hypnotist Hippo-Wranglers (lvl3 illusion magic - hypnosis expert)
> > 3 Illusionist Hippo-Wranglers (lvl2 illusion magic)
> > 1 lllusionist Priest (lvl1 illusion magic)
> > 1 lllusionist Farmer (lvl1 illusion magic)

RESEARCH:
>Crafting:
> > Sharp Sticks Technology
> > Sharp Stones Technology
> > Basic Trap Making
> > Basic Spear Making

>Magic:
> > Basic Illusion Training
> > > Basic Hypnotism (Illusion Special Skill)
> > Basic Pyromancy Training

>Culture:
> > Basic Scorpion Language
> > Basic Writing

RESOURCES:
>Food:
> > Basic Cave Food
> > Sweet Jungle Fruit+

>Animals:
> > Pet Monkeys
> > Hypnotised Hippos

OTHER:
>Diplomacy:
> > Scorpion-People: Friendly
> > Sun Cultists: Cautious
>>
Aw yiss. I'm so ready for this, let's do it.

The thing, I mean, not sex.
>>
File: tweet.png (11 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
tweet.png
11 KB, 256x256
LINKS:
>Thread 1: >>46160322
>Thread 2: >>46176765
>Thread 3: >>46263597
>Thread 4: >>46520457

>Civ Twitter: https://twitter.com/IdiotOP_DHqenRe
>>
>>46586252
Gotta up that illusion and hypnotism magic. Can solve all our tech and food problems.
>>
>>46586403
Looks like we're off to a slow start again, so let's just go with the first suggestion until more people join.

Let's see a d100.
>>
Rolled 14 (1d100)

>>46586470
Face-tacles crossed.
>>
>>46586476
Truly, we are a people damned by the dice gods. I'm going to run out of ways to say "you fail at magic"...

Once again, our efforts to develop our magic fail to deliver satisfactory results. Some of the mages are starting to believe it's some sort of curse placed on the tribe by the death of its original illusionist.
>>
>>46586527
I could roll, like, 3d100 until we get more people? Or how did you usually pick the roll...

I guess, try to train the monkeys to scout? That seems like it might be useful despite the potential of them being distracted by fruit.
>>
>>46586579
>I could roll, like, 3d100 until we get more people? Or how did you usually pick the roll...
I usually just take the first roll unless it's a big action or multiple actions at once. ThoughI suppose using 3d100 and taking the mean (or median might be better, actually) would help with the low rolls a bit.
>>
Rolled 23, 57, 89 = 169 (3d100)

>>46586602
It's worth a shot.
>>
>>46586611
Is this for the monkey thing?
>>
>>46586632
Yeah.
>>
The elders have never quite given up on the idea of using the pet monkeys for something more practical. Small and swift, the monkeys would make for ideal scouts and spies, if only they could be trusted to obey commands and not get distracted by their own lack of attention span.

In the past, such attempts have always met with failure, but now you have another trick up your sleeve. One of the illusionists manages to hypnotise a group of monkeys all at once. Hypnotised, they don't get distracted by anything, and they can be trained properly.

Unfortunately, once the hypnosis wears off, the monkeys have no intention of obeying their training and quickly return to their old behaviour, making them useless for long-range scouting actions. However, if you assign an illusionist to maintaining their hypnosis, they could make for excellent short-range scouts, either accompanying the illusionist on missions outside, or acting like a sort if early warning system guarding the area around your cave.
>>
>>46586736
Go chat up the sun-cultists, see if they've found a better training animal.
>>
>>46586736
That's convenient.

How about... if we can make spear tips with two rocks through flaking, could we use the same process on the cave walls to expand our underground domain?

Try to discover mining.
>>
>>46586812
>>46586815
Gonna need a tie-breaker here.
>>
>>46586922

I'll support mining, but we're pretty frail for swinging around an ax. Maybe if we created psionic blasts strong enough to chip away rock.
>>
>>46586949
We don't really have psionic blasts to begin with. We may look like Illithids, but we're not them.

Anyway, roll for mining I guess.
>>
Rolled 61, 79, 9 = 149 (3d100)

>>46586970
>>
hello
>>
>>46586949
If we fail at mining, how does our culture see slavery?
Or we can just trade for labourers to dig a few tunnels for us.
>>
With our population slowly but surely growing, it's only a matter of time before there's not enough room left in the cave-homes to house everyone. One obvious solution to this is to expand the caves by digging out new rooms and hallways.

Most of the existing cave is naturally formed, a confusing network of narrow tunnels and larger hollows that are used for storage or living space. Though the idea of expanding the caves isn't entirely new, not many attempts have been made and most of them have not met with success.

The elders instruct a group of citizens to make an attempt to mine out a new area in one of the more stable regions of the cave system, where digging is unlikely to result in a catastrophic cave-in. While some process it made, it's maddeningly slow. The stone tools have a tendency to break against the hard cave walls, and the physically weak Unseen tire out quickly from the hard labour. Even while working in shifts, progress can be measured in inches.

>>46587051
Hello.

>>46587079
We don't really have a view on slavery yet. There have been some players insisting on finding a way to enslave the scorpions, but so far the majority has tried to remain friendly to everyone we meet.
>>
>>46587092
Should we negotiate with the scorpion people then? They most likely have strong labourers, we probably have a spare hippo we can offer them. If we cast illusion while they're mining we should be fine.
>>
>>46587092
Always good to be friendly with people you want to dominate UNTIL you can dominate them.

>>46586812
I'll go with this for this turn. Bring them some food. Find out if they've discovered anything interesting and apologize for what happened, as the elders simply sought to ensure unity among the unseen.

It was perhaps a... little blunder.

And don't draw attention to them being horribly sunburned, as they probably take it as some kind of blessing from the sun.
>>
>>46587189
I'm cool with this, atleast to keep an eye on them.
Can we send out two parties to do this >>46587163
as well or are we limited to one action a turn? Yeah, I'm new to this quest.
>>
>>46587222
It's usually one actio per turn to keep things simple, but I guess there's no harm in doing these two at once.

Let's roll.
>>
>>46587163
I guess we could erect the illusion of a settlement outside the cave, while making the cave system appear to be a mine?

Basically try to ensure that, not only do they not know what we look like, but they'll also have no idea how we live.

Assuming of course that we can send two parties like >>46587222 suggested.
>>
Rolled 5, 87, 74 = 166 (3d100)

>>46587266
>>
>>46587283
Agreed.
>>46587295
That's a pass yeah?
>>
Rolled 95, 23, 45 = 163 (3d100)

>>46587302
Median is 74, so I'd say yeah.

>>46587295
Sun-cultists, by the way.
>>
Rolled 74, 5, 21 = 100 (3d100)

roll if needed
>>
2 questions about our hypnosis skills;

Have we tried them on the scorpion people yet?

and

Do we know how to plant triggers yet?
>>
>>46587283
They already know how we live though, since we invited them over for a feast in... thread 2 or 3.

>>46587295
>>46587323
With the mining operation not going as planned, the elders decide to ask the Scorpion-People for help, since they're much stronger than the Unseen. While they're reluctant to travel away from their village as usual, the promise of plenty of food and the fact that they've already been there once makes it easier to convince a group of them to come along. This time, even some of the bigger Scorpions, which are usually less interested in you than the more curious smaller ones, come along.

Once arrived at the caves (making extra sure any civilian Unseen stay out of sight), the labourers already working on the cave expansion explain the work to the Scorpions, with a little translation help from one of your diplomats. While the Scorpions once again fail to see the point of your request, you nonetheless convince them to give it a shot. With the great strength of the Scorpions, surely the work will progress much faster.

Or so you thought. All the Scorpions achieve with their strength is breaking their tools much faster. It seems the tools made of wood and stone simply aren't strong enough for this kind of heavy work. After a few days of not making much progress, one of the smaller Scorpion-People approaches your diplomat and makes him a different offer. Instead of trying to dig bigger holes in the ground for you to live in, he instead offers to teach you how to build large, sturdy huts on the surface, like the ones the Scorpions themselves use. While this won't allow you to expand your cave system, it at least allows you to build reliable housing outside of your cave.

>You gained the technology: Primitive Architecture!

>>46587469
No to both. Currently our hypnosis is more a mild form of mind-control than classic hypnosis. It's a spell that has to be maintained by a nearby illusionist or hypnotist and doesn't have any long-term effects.
>>
>>46587526
>They already know
Wow. I had completely forgotten that.
>>
>>46587526
Crap, well atleast we gained some tech.
I guess we'll need basic metallurgy before we can mine.

I assume primitive architecture requires lumber, can we persuade our guys to make basic stone axes?
>>
>>46587526
Meanwhile, you send another envoy to the Sun Cult, bringing a gift of food. The diplomat in charge of the expedition expresses his regret for the past difficulties between the Unseen leadership and the Sun Cultists. The cultists accept the food more eagerly than the apology and though you can tell that their leaders don't quite trust you yet, at least the food buys you the gratitude of many of the villagers.

You ask around if there are any interesting animals living nearby, or if there's anything else of note that the cultists have discovered. Several of the cultists tell you of dangerous green creatures that live in the nearby rivers, and that the jungle grows more sparse towards the north, but apart from that they don't seem to know much of interest you haven't already found out yourself.
>>
>>46587646
Basic stone tools like small handaxes and knives fall under the "sharp stones technology" header, so you can make those without any toruble. If you want bigger, or more battle-oriented axes, we'll have to "invent" them first. But since it's an adaptation of an existing technology it'll be a bit easier than trying to come up with something new.
>>
>>46587680
Sweet. Lets make axes and get chopping then. I'm imagining the construction as an outward extension of our cave entrance so our people don't need to spend too much time in the light.
>>
>>46587650
fuck them, let they defend themselves. Scorpio is our ally now.
How can we trade technology?
>>
>>46587738
Agreed, sounds like they're struggling for food.

Did our diplomat get a gauge on how they're doing in terms of survival? Are they thriving, starving or just breaking even?
>>
>>46587646
If we could fine some weird orange rocks in a river or bog, and have the weird idea of burning them at high degrees, we'd be well on our way.

Bog iron.

>>46587650
Ah yes, crocs. I guess we could eventually do them like the hippos?

Maybe it'd impress the scorpions if we wore croc leather and tooth necklaces.
>>
>>46587738
Trading technology is basically just a diplomatic action. It gets easier or harder depending on what you're trading and who you're trading it with, and how likely it is how well the parties involved will understand the tech being traded. No point in trading the secrets of nuclear fusion to a tribe that's still trying to figure out how fire works, to name an exaggerated example.

>>46587760
They're more or less breaking even, but just barely. They're definitely doing worse than both the main Unseen tribe and the Scorpions.
>>
>>46587816
That could be useful to know. Are there 4 seasons here or is it just a wet/dry season? If the former they're going to be screwed.
>>
>>46587816
Well, we could establish a few homes outside our cave (Once we have the materials) and offer the sun-cultists that they can live closer to us?

We'll have a little extra help with our unseen things and they won't have to live underground nor struggle for food.

Thoughts, guys?
>>
>>46587946
fuck them, let them begs to us when shit hit the fan.
>>
>>46587937
>Are there 4 seasons here or is it just a wet/dry season? If the former they're going to be screwed.
I deliberately haven't gone into detail on that since the time scale for our "turns" isn't fixed in any way I have ideas for a sort of random event system that might add some spice to the turns and might include things like unusual seasonal weather patterns though.
>>
What if, instead of writing words, we wrote the quantity of things...and could then figure out the quantity of other things...
>>
I'm going to take a bit of a break to make dinner. I'll be back afterwards.

Please feel free to discuss the game and our next step in the meantime.
>>
File: Wellcan you.jpg (90 KB, 851x478) Image search: [Google]
Wellcan you.jpg
90 KB, 851x478
>>46588004
Wait, so we... could take the quantity of things we have, and then the quantity of the same thing we'll get, and then... somehow find out how much we'll have later???
>>
>>46587967
This.
If they're only breaking even, they're one screw up from starvation. They know we have food, once they're desperate we can either force them to renounce the sun or use them in some other scheme.

>>46588004
Knowing we have lots or little won't increase what we have, there's no need for that yet. Lets get wealthy first, then we'll count our wealth.
>>
>>46587967
>>46588067
What has the spider god ever done for you.
>>
>>46588065
>>46588004
what is this meme?

>>46588083
?
>>
>>46588096
The meme in which we pretend to not know a thing, but try to describe it.
>>
>>46588065
Explain to me the benefit of this sorcery, are we talking about seeing the future? How do we know what we'll get if we do not have it?
>>
>>46587722
>>46587946
So are we chopping wood?

>>46588065
>>46588004
>>46588162
Or playing with squiggly lines that mean quantities of things?
>>
>>46587946
I guess, even if they still seem to hold a bit of a grudge. It would definitely help with boosting our population since we're locked in to standard gestation.

>>46588197
I'm for it.
>>
>>46588162
Well, we could... like... take the quantity of the thing we got the last few times and find the... middle quantity and then... you know... something?

And then we put that together with the quantity we have...

And... and we could use it to find out how many of a thing we need instead of getting too many of the thing...
>>
>>46588268
... or we could just start hitting the trees with sharp rocks till they fall down, it's more fun and less complicated. I'm happy with knowing none, some, lots and shitloads.
>>
>>46588372
And then you have too much wood and they rot like all those fruits we never get to eat.
>>
>>46588372

what if we can mind control the trees and ask them to fall down?
>>
>>46588197
Wood, maths, housing, diplo-invite sun cultists
>>
>>46588463
In that order, yes.
Construction will require basic addition.
>>
>>46588572
fuck the cult
>>
>>46588463
That's a pretty good order. Supporting.

Assuming QM allows queuing actions, I guess.
>>
>>46587946
I like it.

We could have this whole surface settlement where our underlings live and praise the sun, drawing in merchants, adventurers, and other people we can dominate and use to expand our sphere of influence.
>>
>>46587946
Voting for this.

It might cause problems with the cult-leader, but as long as he feels like he's in control of his people, I don't think it will have any negative long term effects.
>>
>>46589049
Plus, down the line we'll just Assume Direct Control on him and problem solved.
>>
>>46588572
Voting for this.
>>
I'd call that consensus. Nice.
>>
All right. I apologise for the delay, but I'm back now and good for another couple of hours.

Give me a moment to read what I've missed.
>>
>>46590532
Okie dokie.
>>
Looks like the general idea is to chop down trees, build houses with them, and ask the Sun Cultists to move in.

I don't feel like rolling for the first two steps is necessary, given that you have the basic tech and there aren't any significant challenges to face. Chopping down trees in a jungle isn't the easiest thing, especially for physically weak creatures, but I don't want to bog things down too much.

Convincing the Sun Cultists to move in would require a roll though. So throw them bones.
>>
Rolled 100, 90, 24 = 214 (3d100)

>>46590753
>>
Rolled 92 (1d100)

>>46590753
Rolling
>>
>>46590774
>>46590836
I guess we built some super sweet homes.

Why can't we roll like this more often.
>>
Oh, I guess this doesn't matter too much, but in which direction, relative to the cave entrance, do we build the Sun village? This just so I can put it in the right spot on the map.
>>
>>46590893
Put it to the westside our home.
>>
>>46590893
I'd say east, assuming that's the direction the sun rises, but that'd be your call. Just seems the most appropriate given the initial purpose.
>>
>>46590893
Put it west. Can we send an Illusionist with a couple monkeys to explore up the river?
>>
>>46591248
I meant Hypnotist.
>>
hello. Anyone can provide a TL:DR of what has happened in this thread?
>>
File: Map 12.png (92 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
Map 12.png
92 KB, 500x400
All right, let's do this. Nice rolling, by the way.

Using the instructions of the Scorpion-People as a guideline, you quickly set to gathering the necessary materials for building a small village on the surface. A group of selected labourers carefully select trees of the right size and using crude stone axes they chop them down and cut them to the right sizes. Some of the smaller Scorpions even remain behind and, in exchange for a double ration of food, help with the work. The buildings themselves are of simple, but sturdy construction, using tree trunks planted vertically in the ground as support, a sloped roof to shed rainwater, and a combination of twigs, leaves and dirt to fill the gaps between the trunks to create walls.

Once the building is underway, a diplomat is once again dispatched to the Sun Cult, offering them shelter and protection in your newly contructed village.

It's clear that the head priest of the Sun Cult doesn't like the idea of moving back so close to the cave-homes. He views the offer as an attempt to undermine both his religion and his authority, and perhaps even a trap to get rid of him and his followers once and for all. After a lengthy negotiation however, the head priest is eventually overruled by the majority of the other villagers. The Sun Cultists aren't exactly thriving in their village, and have lived just one step away from starvation for too long. Reluctantly, the head priest gives in to the wishes of his followers, and agrees to move into the new village. Your skilled diplomat even manages to make him promise to follow the orders of the elders, for as long as they don't conflict with his religion. In exchange, the priest asks only that any Unseen who wish to join the Sun Cult will be allowed to do so without any interference from the Unseen leadership..
>>
>>46591382
We failed to upgrade our magic, managed to figure out a way to use our monkeys as mid(?)-range scouts, and have now built a small surface village for the sun cultists.
>>
>>46591391
Is there any activity in the water? Any foreign ships? Place an illusionist (make him transparent so he can't be seen) to watch the water for a day if needed.
>>
>>46591391

Now that we have basic civilization, it's only fair that we work on that weird non-word "writing" mentioned before.
>>
>>46591451
Ah yes. Arithmesquids. Leads to currency, trading, and banking.
>>
File: tallytable2.gif (2 KB, 282x162) Image search: [Google]
tallytable2.gif
2 KB, 282x162
>>46591451
Considering our writing originated as a way for traders and craftsmen to keep track of their goods, it's fair to assume we already have a way of counting stuff, even if it's just a basic tally mark system.
>>
>>46591391
Maybe now we can plant the seeds of the spider back into our former people.
All in favor of flaunting how great we have been doing?
>>
>>46591524
Nope.

Why bow down to something when we, ourselves, can be bowed to.
>>
>>46591520

In which case, I'll pursue science over math. Lets send some scouts to capture a "green beast" alive.
>>
>>46591391
Oh snap! Maybe the sun cultists feel inspired enough to upgrade our pyromancy!
>>
>>46591601
Have some magicians pose as Sun Cult recruits in order to learn any sort of magics they've developed?
>>
>>46591550
What?
I'm just talking about converting them back to our religion.
>>
>>46591639
It's not our religion, though?

It's just a cult in our society. Just as the Sun Cultists were.
>>
>>46591621
Why not just all of us join the Sun Cult? That spider religion is good for nothing anyway.
>>
>>46591680
Well to be fair it's a religion we started on purpose in order to better control our people.
>>
What about exploration? We can go further than scorpion people. I suggest exploring to the west.
>>
>>46591710
True, but then we'd probably be better of increasing the cult's influence first and eh.

I still wanna see about the pyromancy.
>>
>>46591621
I was thinking more having them partake in our magical research.

>>46591688
It'd involve possibly-fatal sunburns.
>>
>>46591680
Backing any other religions would be dangerous at this point.

I'm sure the head priest would rather deal with godless people than people with a different god
>>
>>46591791
I agree on that.
>>
>>46591639
Wouldn't that sort of imply they were spider cultists originally, though? Maybe they just didn't like the way the spider cult was doing things and also didn't want to be without religious guidance so they started their own cult.
>>
>>46591977
The Sun Cult left the caves before the Spider Cult even existed.
>>
>>46592061
Your memory is way better than mine. Damn it.

I need to read the archives for a refresher.
>>
could we send a small expedition of unseen to explored the northwestern river line? Purely to scout, not to make any kind of diplomatic contact. I am suspicious that another civ/site is located in close proximity to us along there
>>
>>46592200
yes please. And look for any activities in river. Like trade ships or fishing ships.
>>
So I'mseeing a couple of different opinions here, some related to magic research, some related to converting the cultists, and some related to exploration.

So let's vote on those three.
>>
>>46592288
explore, thanks.
>>
>>46592288
Magic.
>>
>>46592288
>exploration.
>>
>>46592288
Explore!
>>
>>46592288
explore
>>
File: map13.png (107 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
map13.png
107 KB, 500x400
>>46592334
>>46592348
>>46592403
That's three for explore.

You send your scouts to explore along the river to the northwest. Apart from the herds of hippos you already know about, they spot many other animals during their voyage, mostly small mammals and birds. It seems the grassland continues past the river to the north for as far as you can see.
>>
OP what map generator/creator are you using? It looks swell!
>>
>>46592663
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/ + Photoshop
>>
>>46592583
uhh nothing? That's gay. Can we convince Scorpion-people to build ships for us, so we can go across the water?
>>
>>46592771
They probably don't even know what a canoe is.
Nor do we.

>>46592583
Still voting to try and get better at fire magic. Also picking up a name since we have more people know.

Also, if you want me to stop rolling 3d100, just say so. I've quite taken a fancy to it.
>>
>>46592847
>more people now*

Great dishonor.
>>
>>46592771
Do we even know if anyone has ship-related technology? Considering how the Sun Cult barely has more tech fit for exploring the surface than us, I doubt we're gonna just stumble upon someone sitting on that kind of tech, doubly considering how much time the other civs are spending just to stay alive. Doesn't seem like they've got a whole lot of time for exploration when they can barely keep things together on the homefront.

Let's continue to build our own tech and make sure we're in a situation where we can afford to invest resources in a major expedition should we find something really good. Even then, crossing large bodies of water seems like something that shouldn't really be on our radar until we're out of land to explore
>>
>>46592771
There's more stuff on the map, of course. Things are more or less randomly spaced out and they grow at rates that are vaguely consistent. Currently most undiscovered tribes are still small (just like the Unseen and Scorpions are still pretty small), so the chance you'll run into them is small. This is by design, allowing the Unseen to develop a bit more before coming into contact with too many races. Perhaps not the best decision, but then this is my first civ game, so it's a learning experience.

The Scorpion-People are an exception to this, by the way, because they were the second most popular race at the start when we were still deciding what to play, so I put them relatively close to the Unseen just to get them into the game. Still, it's entirely possible they wouldn't have been discovered by now if nobody bothered to explore eastwards. That said, I don't mind spoiling that, not counting those that would require naval transport to reach, there are two other races that are fairly close by.

As for boats, the Scorpions don't build them, so it'd be difficult to ask them about it.

>>46592847
I don't mind the 3d100 thing. It gives a bit more balanced results which means less lows but also less highs. 1d100 and 3d100 are both fine, so for now I'll leave it up to the players what to roll.
>>
>>46592847
What do you want to do with fire magic anyway? It's not like we are in any potential threat. Scorpions are friends, aren't they.
>>
>>46593036
Yeah, what POSSIBLE use could a stronger ability to control and manipulate fire provide to a race that lives primarily underground and has access to a virtually unknown amount of ores and smelting materials?
>>
>>46593036
Apart from pyromancy being useful for any number of reasons?

Story purposes. I'm sort of imagining that the mages will view a success as the curse being lifted because we brought our kin back, and so they'll feel like trying to improve our illusion magic is less of a lost cause.
>>
So, developing fire magic it is? Unless anyone has any objections, we'll go with that.

Let's roll.
>>
Rolled 12, 57, 35 = 104 (3d100)

>>46593386
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>46593386
>>
>>46593421
How come we're a race that's supposed to have good magic, but almost all of our magic-related rolls are below-average?

Once again, your mages set to practicing their magic, this time focusing not on the subtle art of illusionism, but on the more destructive power of pyromancy. By chance, it's discovered that one of the newly arrived Sun Cultists has some talent for fire magic. However, not much progress is made beyond that.

>Gained 1 Apprentice Pyromancer (lvl1 fire magic)!
>>
>>46593736
Maybe we should rather switch to some advancement in technology. Like researching woodworking or some clay constructing.
>>
>>46593736
I wish I knew, but at least it wasn't nothing this time.

And the perceived curse didn't get worse.

>>46593876
I'm willing to spring for some tech progress.
>>
>>46593876
Well, what are some things we need right now? Since we're a primarily subterranean race anyways it seems like something along the lines of mining would be more our speed. It would also allow us to maybe create underground outposts or even tunnels so we can travel farther out
>>
>>46593876
Improve tool making.
>>
>>46594065
We did try for mining earlier, but without better tools and physically capable subjects we're not getting far.
>>
So what are we going for, specifically?
>>
>>46594346
tool upgrades i guess
>>
>>46594386
Tools. They'll still be stone, but they'll be less crude.
>>
>>46594386
>>46594418
Ok, roll for it.

I just realised I have no idea how metalworking was first discovered. I know more or less when man first started using metal tools, but it seems a bit far-fetched to me that someone just went "hey let's smelt some ores" one day. Guess I have some reading up to do.
>>
Rolled 79 (1d100)

>>46594471
Rolling
>>
>>46594471
To contain fireplaces, man would put stones around the fire (we still do that). The man would simply notice that some (brown looking) stones would start to melt after a while.
That's the short version.
>>
>>46594471
If I recall any kind of correctly, various cultures basically did to meteoric iron what they used to do to flint. As for smelting... no idea. Maybe someone used bog iron in their earth oven and found chunks of iron.
>>
>>46594525
So we're good at magic but keep getting bad rolls for it, and we're bad at technology but keep getting good rolls for it...

On an unrelated note, this is going to be the last post for today.

With the recent failure to expand the caves, as well as some of the experience gained from chopping down trees and building houses, some of our workers have started to look for ways to improve our tools. The primary way they're doing is, is by taking various types of rock found both in the cave and outside, and simply testing their use as various tools. It's not a very organized effort, but with time they learn to recognise stones by their various properties. These rocks are harder and less likely to shatter when used to smash something, those rocks are easier to break up and hold a sharper edge, and so forth. It's a small, but significant step forward in your toolmaking prowess, and while it probably won't allow you do to anything you couldn't do before, it means that your tools are now more efficient and your weapons more lethal.

>Sharp Stones Technology has been upgraded to Advanced Sharp Stones Technology!
>>
A quick look a the stats after this episode. No huge changes, but we've made some progress nonetheless.

STATISTICS:
>Population: Small
>Army: Minor (Militia)
>Magic: Minor
>Religion: Minor (Spider Cult)

IMPORTANT STUFF:
>Owned sites:
> > The Cave-Homes
> > 1 Orchard (Fenced)

>Special People:
> > 1 Illusionist (lvl3 illusion magic)
> > 1 Pyromancer/Illusionist (lvl2 fire + lvl1 illusion magic)
> > 4 Illusionists (lvl2 illusion magic)
> > 1 Apprentice Pyromancer (lvl1 fire magic)
> > 1 Hypnotist Hippo-Wranglers (lvl3 illusion magic - hypnosis expert)
> > 3 Illusionist Hippo-Wranglers (lvl2 illusion magic)
> > 1 lllusionist Priest (lvl1 illusion magic)
> > 1 lllusionist Farmer (lvl1 illusion magic)

RESEARCH:
>Culture:
> > Basic Scorpion Language
> > Basic Writing

>Magic:
> > Basic Illusion Training
> > > Basic Hypnotism (Illusion Special Skill)
> > Basic Pyromancy Training

>Building:
> > Primitive Architecture

>Crafting:
> > Sharp Sticks Technology
> > Advanced Sharp Stones Technology
> > Basic Trap Making
> > Basic Spear Making

RESOURCES:
>Food:
> > Basic Cave Food
> > Sweet Jungle Fruit+

>Animals:
> > Pet Monkeys
> > Hypnotised Hippos

OTHER:
>Diplomacy:
> > Scorpion-People: Friendly
> > Sun Cultists: Allied
>>
That's it for me. Thanks for playing, I hope you all enjoyed it and will be there next time as well. Not sure when that next time will be, but I'll try to keep them coming at least once a week.

Keep track of the twitter if you want to be sure not to miss any threads, or just keep an eye on the board for threads to pop up.
>>
>>46595063
Thanks for running.
>>
>>46595063
Thanks for the thread OP, see ya next time
>>
>>46595063
Good game, good game. Nice to see you still running despite it being your first civ.
>>
>>46595063
bye-bye and have a nice day/night
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.