[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: MTG Modern General.jpg (720 KB, 2235x1040) Image search: [Google]
MTG Modern General.jpg
720 KB, 2235x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(Competitive Discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite deck?
>Sideboard tech?
>Next MTG purchase?
>>
modern is dead and solved.
>>
File: 1457993245696.jpg (34 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1457993245696.jpg
34 KB, 320x320
>>46584306
truuuuuuuuu
>>
>>46584306
then why are you here?
>>
>>46584153
You're kidding, I just bought a playset of Meek's for like, $6, now they're $20??? Shoulda bought more
>>
>>46584727
>>>/pauper/
>>
>>46584727
jewzards of the coast
>>
File: M.jpg (1 MB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
M.jpg
1 MB, 1959x1469
>Playing?
Taking turns.
>Brewing?
I'm new, still don't know what that means. If it's thinking of a deck to make I'm not doing that atm.
>Favorite deck?
Taking turns?
>Sideboard tech?
Don't know.
>Next MTG purchase?
Spellskites.

Also, is my sideboard looking okay-ish? Wasn't sure on the Boomerangs, will probably replace them with the Spellskites once I get them...
>>
>>46585033
Congratulations, you have the first constructive post in the general! How does it feel to be honored with such an accomplishment?
>>
>>46585237
You mean the first constructive post in any general ever right?
>>
File: Donkmumu.jpg (27 KB, 325x453) Image search: [Google]
Donkmumu.jpg
27 KB, 325x453
Rate my commander

Gaylumberjack.dec
>>
>>46585434
needs more counterspell.
>>
>>46585033
>If it's thinking of a deck to make
More or less, also actually constructing various prototypes and testing them out in the wild
>Also, is my sideboard looking okay-ish?
Lab maniac is a little too cute, I'd take it out for another Hurkyll's recall, yes you do need four for the affinity matchup. Also, if that grafdigger's cage is there for living end, you might want to read the card living end more closely, because cage doesn't stop it
>>
>>46585555
Thanks for your advice, do you have a recommendation on what I should replace grafdigger's cage with?
>>
>>46585663
If you're still worried about living end, bumping to four relics is fine, they have a lot of utility in general so it's not too much of a wasted slot. Don't worry so hard about sideboard stuff until you actually get a bunch of games under your belt, it'll become much more apparent what you need to do then
>>
>>46585663
Replace the whole deck with something that isnt shit, this is a modern thread for modern players, that means a format for competitive players if you are not playing a t1 netdeck go back to casual magic
>>
>>46585691
Okay thanks.
>>46585716
Sorry didn't know this thread was for really competitive decks only, I'll try elsewhere next time.
>>
>>46585033
So...how do you win? This deck looks really fun, but what's the wincon? How do you pilot it?
>>
>>46585716
Those words remind me of a LGS regular that got punched in the jaw and expelled because he dealt drugs and stole binders in the store
>>
>>46585786
The win condition here is Part the Waterveil's awaken cost. I still firmly believe the build with maindeck Thassa and baby Jace is better.
>>
>>46585766
>Sorry didn't know this thread was for really competitive decks only, I'll try elsewhere next time.
He's either being a troll or subtly facetious. Either way, post about whatever you like. This thread is far from serious professional magic discussion.
>>
File: 1460233198456.png (836 KB, 1160x641) Image search: [Google]
1460233198456.png
836 KB, 1160x641
>>46584153

>Playing?
UW Emeria

>Brewing?
Thopter/Sword, either UBw with Tezzeret or UBg with Glissa, not sure on either yet. Honestly I'm just a giant cuck for Esper so it'll probably be that.

>Favorite deck?
Grixis Breach although I'm too poor to afford it.

>Sideboard tech?
I will jam Eidolon of Rhetoric into any sideboard I can and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

>Next MTG purchase?
Probably the sword and board parts for Thopter/Sword once the price spike abates a little.
>>
>Playing?
U/W/R Pyromancer, though at this stage and with my local meta it might as well be called U/W/R Geist.
>Brewing?
Skred.
>Favorite deck?
Anything with Young Peezie in it.
>Sideboard tech?
Isochron Scepter. So good against decks without answers to it.
>Next MTG purchase?
It will probably be Chalice for my skred deck.
>>
Should I build Jund with my tax return? I love the fact that's it's RGB goodstuff.dec, but it hasn't really placed highly from anything lately
>>
>>46586574
Nothing has placed highly lately cause of Eldrazi. Also, if you want a great modern deck, I would by far have to recomend Jund. It will always be a solid deck, it has a legacy counterpart, and it's always getting better and is enjoyable in my opinion to play. Absolutely go and build Jund, I think you'll really like it.
>>
So I want to play scapeshift.
Where's the chinaman that you would recommend?
>>
>>46586799
I'd recomend getting a Job with ever bright so you can afford things unlike the bigger you are.
>>
>>46587049
I'm pretty sure people have different priorities on how they spend their money and I have no interest in supporting wizards and/or the market after the shit wizards and/or the market are pulling.
>>
>>46586574
I prefer junk, i find it more easy to play and has better SB options thanks to W.
But you don't get to play Lightning bolt
>>
>>46586799
Villa Zheng
you're welcome, but i don' know if he stills do scapeshift, you have to email him. look his videos on youtube
>>
>>46584153
>Playing?
Artifact combo, formerly known as sunny side up
>Brewing?
4C Gifts, 8whack for funsies
>Favorite deck?
Pre-SS ban eggs
>Sideboard tech?
Blind Obedience is pretty much under everyone's radar
>Next MTG purchase?
Besides more Force of Wills, more weeb versions for my Legacy decks (wishing japanese fetches were less expensive), and stuff I need for Gifts.

Also, glad I bought a bunch of Thopter Foundries for 20 cents each three weeks ago.
>>
>>46586574
Might have something to do with the Eldrazi. It has 50+ matchups vs Infect, Affinity and various combo decks though.
>>
File: 55010226_p0.jpg (470 KB, 600x844) Image search: [Google]
55010226_p0.jpg
470 KB, 600x844
>>46584153
>>>Playing?
Prison, Grixis, Faeries
>>Brewing?
Grixis w/ Liliana & Asylum Visitor
>>Favorite deck?
UB Faeries. It's casual as fuck, but I love the tribe.
>>Sideboard tech?
"Favor of the Mighty" against Infect and Boggle.
>>Next MTG purchase?
Got sets of Visitors and Prodders sitting in my mailbox to playtest when I get home, as well as a Storage Matrix. Speculated on a set of foil Wallet Sculptors before the ban announcement. C'est la vie.
>>
File: relentless dead.png (198 KB, 241x347) Image search: [Google]
relentless dead.png
198 KB, 241x347
>>46584153
>Playing?
Affinity, BW Tokens, very shitty jeskai control
>Brewing?
Zombies, possibly also Grixis something
>Favorite deck?
I have had a constant boner for all things tokens ever since I first got into Magic. So, BW Tokens.
>Sideboard tech?
I like Anguished Unmaking in muh Tokens.
>Next MTG purchase?
Stuff for Zombies which I decided to make after seeing the new SOI zombies. Probably going to be buying a bunch of cards from Eldritch Moon.
>>
>>46584153
>Playing
On paper, nothing.
On Xmage, UW Emeria and Jeskai Allies.

>Brewing
UW Emeria on Paper

>favorite deck
Grixis Reanimator and Mono B discard, I love it since I lost to with Liliana of the Veil and the Rack, it was weird, sexy and I liked being punished.

>Sideboard Tech
Nothing special, there is no much space because Leyline of Sancity, RIP and Stony Silence take so much space.
>inb4 running RIP in Emeria
It hurts reanimators and dredge so much more than it hurts me. I usually don't rely on Emeria to win.

>Next MTG purchase
That will be Nahiri's Commander or Elspeth vs Kiora. Maybe a SOI fat pack.
>>
>>46587881
>Nahiri Commander
It's pretty fun. But not competitive really.
>>
>>46587969
I know, but I don't like buying everything from the secondary market and it has some of the stuff I want for UW Emeria (including emeria itself) and for a new commander.
>>
>>46584153
MTG is such trash to get into now, shame wizards ruined the game by jewing too hard
>>
>>46588297
But once you have the decks its awesome. I was able to grab some awesome games of Legacy the last 3 nights.
>>
>>46584153
GW Samurai
Blinky the eldrazi combos off in Naya
GW samurai
Ghostly prison
Path go exiles and Japanese basic lands.
>>
>>46587881
emeria list?
>>
>>46585897
>Grixis Breach
What? Grishoalbrand?
>>
>>46588887

Yeah its the breach shell without nourishing shoul, it uses baby jace and izzet charm as discard outlets and protection. More likely to lose but its more fun.
>>
File: Ancestral Vision.jpg (974 KB, 2351x3212) Image search: [Google]
Ancestral Vision.jpg
974 KB, 2351x3212
>>46584153
>Playing?
Grixis + Jeskai Control/Mid-range, Naya Zoo.
>Brewing?
Thopter combo decks, Grixis Suicide, Ancestral Vision in Control, Midrange, + Kiki combo decks, and Arlinn Kord in Naya Zoo.
>Favorite deck?
Grixis + Jeskai Control/Mid-range variants
>Sideboard tech?
Slaughter Games, Timely Reinforcements.
>Next MTG purchase?
3 more Ancestral Vision
>>
>>46585033
Why not run reliquary town in place of the fountains?
>>
>>46584153

>Playing?
Blue Tron
>Brewing?
Better Blue Trin
>Favorite deck?
Blue Tron
>Sideboard tech?
Negate, dispel, dismember, hurkyll's and other deck specific hate.
>Next MTG purchase?
8 foil dick islands from theros.

I posted it in last thread, now that eye is banned, how tutor emmy for late game boom boom?
>>
>>46588944
Grixis suicide?
>>
>>46589301
I assume it's a bad version of suicide jund. Blue adds nothing and you lose Nacatl and muta growth
>>
How many mox opals is best in tezzerator? Also how much does liliana of the veil effect your games?
>>
>>46589301
>>46589396
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-grixis-shadow#paper
Here's examples for you fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>46589396
You don't lose muta growth though.
>>
>>46589706
Ehh I don't like it, way too susceptible to path and decay, I really think it's not a good trade off to have more card selection for much less resilience and card choice, ghor clan rampager, putrid leech and become immense are seriously some of the best cards you can run
>>
>>46588963
>reliquary town
What's that? Are you talking about Reliquary Tower?
>>
>>46589396

>what is phyrexian mana
>>
File: 1460224340621.jpg (55 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
1460224340621.jpg
55 KB, 500x411
>>46584153
>Playing?
I have a Soul sister B/W Token deck.
I also finished my Olivia Rakdos deck recently.

>Brewing?
Currently building a Goblin deck. Goblin guide is expensive, so I'm going without it.

>Favorite deck?
I really like Eldrazies, but with the recent ban on Eye of Ugin, I have to rethink my decks. Probably gonna go colorless with Thouth-know and Smasher.

>Sideboard tech?
Recently discovered that duress is a fucking good card.
Also, dragon's claw is hilarious in a goblin mirror.

>Next MTG purchase?
My goblins. And I'm probably gonna update my B/W token deck with three more Bitterblossom now that I playtested it.
>>
>>46585033
>new
>playing modern
You dun fucked up
>>
>look at top eldrazi deck
>all the creatures are from one set

This shit looks like a straight up block deck, bravo wizards
>>
>>46590529
You just now figured this out after Eldrazi has been dominating for months?
>>
File: Isamaru Shining Freedom.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Isamaru Shining Freedom.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
Would making planeswalker creature help to balance the meta game, adding in a new dynamic of stronger than average creatures that have the drawback of being able to be attacked?
>>
If I want to build a modern deck, what are the main principles/goals I should aspire to?

I understand that most viable cards in modern are fast and cheap and that I should adhere to the general 9x4 framework.

I am also not turbo rich and was wondering how viable/competitive can a deck with more commons/uncommons than rares be?
>>
>Playing?
B/W Tokens
U/B Faeries
8Whack

>Brewing?
Some kind of blue control deck with titi. grixis looks like the best option so far with bolts, tasigurs,and inquisitions. also, trying to make r/g eldrazi work with kozilek's return and world breaker

>Next MTG purchase?
playset of Glimmervoids to finally finish Affinity
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>46590866

Go back to your containment thread.
>>
>>46590878
You can do okay on a budget. Try out Temur Delver.
>>
>Playing?
GR Tron with Breeding Pool, Academy Ruins and Mindslaver.
>Brewing
Other possible replacements for Eye of Ugin, maybe some dough by selling out of the format or just Tron and moving all-in on Lantern Control.
>Favorite deck?
Lots of Legacy decks are equally fun (Dredge, Jund, Painter, Lands), Tron is along with Lantern Control the only viable Modern deck which actually forces you to think about your plays instead of smorcing face or dumping your hand and proceeding to play the top card of your deck, hoping to drown your opponent in cash.
>Sideboard tech
Emrakul, Life from the Loam, 3 Meliras vs Infect (Dismember isn't nearly as played in current lists as it should be, Spellskite just eats Twisted Images and Nature's Claims), no bin hate, warping wails and nature's claims keep storm, scapeshift, ad nauseam and living end sufficiently in check.
>Next MTG purchase?
Probably finishing my Arcum EDH deck followed by Legacy Dredge and Belcher (latter of which is cheap af since it shares LEDs).
>>
File: wa image.png (13 KB, 237x447) Image search: [Google]
wa image.png
13 KB, 237x447
>>46584153
>Playing?
GR tron and Kiki Chord.

>Brewing
Actual ways to fight control decks with kiki chord, and actual ways to be efficient late game without eye of ugin, but that's nearly solved.
Mardu control with nahiri may be a thing I guess.
>Favorite Deck?
I'm gonna say tron bc I have been playing it for so long and I went pretty far with it at all levels. But somehow... I like RUG midrange (No cash for goyfs tho)

>Sideboard tech?
LfL+Crucible in tron (I hate mirror ok?)
Archangel avacyn in chord

>Next MTG purchase
Well, I don't know.
For modern nothing.
I want to get into standard when DtK rotates out, just to play PPTQs with my own deck in these standard seasons. I have friends who can lend me decks but man...
I don't know if it's worth it anyways. Standard's lack of power bores me.
>>
>>46591078
O, hi! I'm the guy below.
How's been that mindslaver combo working?
>>
>>46591157
I actually haven't managed to pull off the lock once in about 30-40 games, mostly because I win anyways with Ulamog or lose on turn 3-4 like always vs aggro and because there's nothing in my list to tutor Mindslaver itself with. It's still a nice unexpected 1-of mb against Scapeshift (armageddon their lands), Affinity (sac everything, fizzle modular), Burn (kill dudes, burn themselves), against Ad Nauseam or chord you can kill them with their own combo or just reset the board (empty mana rocks, sac everything, cast Angel's Grace for nothing) etc. Also in a bigger tournie it might be relevant that if they don't scoop you get to go through their deck (99% of the time there's something playable with "search" in it) and sideboard.
>>
>>46591157
>>46591272
Forgot to say: even without Mindslaver looping O-Stones and Wurmcoils against decks without path is pretty sweet.
>>
What is the best Stoneman variant to get your fakes from now?
>>
>>46591473
None. They're all shit you poor fag
>inb4 just sticking it to the man
>>
>>46591495
>someone who buys high quality products at a quarter of the price is a poorfag despite all the money they're saving
>someone who spends thousands of dollars given to them by the government on cardboard "real" magic cards is not a poorfag.

Neet-o logic you have there.
>>
>>46591553
I'm working right now retard.
Go ahead and save your money and play with
S C A D L I N G T A R N
>>
>playing
Only the dankest memes. Blue tron, jeskai ascendancy combo-control, and bubble hulk
>brewing
Working on a hulk list with pieces of the puzzle, considering slotting thopter sword into utron.
>favorite deck
Hard to choose, but i'd probably pick ascendancy, for modern at least. If you include legacy, doomsday is my favorite ever.
>Sideboard tech
White splash from hulk sideboard for ethereal haze and wear//tear, and to cast reveillarks.
>next purchase
Probably the last 2 duals I need for Doomsday. I'm done buying for modern, unless I decide to pick up an SOTM for utron.
>>
>>46591647
>bubble hulk
Christ, almost forgot this exists. How are your matches with it?
>>
>>46591630
>working right now
>posting on 4chan

Go back to /pol/ then you shill.
>>
>>46591726
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>46591726
>Go back to /pol/ then you shill
What did he mean by this
>>
File: 256.jpg (29 KB, 367x451) Image search: [Google]
256.jpg
29 KB, 367x451
>>46584306

Spot the eldrazi fag. BTFO.
>>
>>46591495
I'm not trying to stick it to the man, I just want to play goyfs and lilys without shelling out 100-150 each
>>
>>46591495
Buying proxies doesn't really affect wizards at all it only shuts on the secondary market
The secondary market is just a bunch of hook nosed kikes anyways
>tezzy just rose 50 dollars in a week after the unbanning of meek despite not even seeing play yet
Mm mm yeah fuck that shit just a bunch of scalpers
>>
>>46591923
>wizards and the secondary market are not affected by one another

There are people here who think this. Wowzers
>>
>>46591473
Villa Zheng
>>
>>46591976
Wizards doesn't really make money off ravagers or Goyfs since they don't print them anymore, it really only effects if you are buying proxies from current sets
>>
>>46592090
Oh my.. Sorry,anon. You're retarded.
>>
>>46592112
What a rebuttal
>>
>>46592126
Don't feed the troll, he is just mad that he spend 200$ on scalding tarns
>>
>>46592126
The work together like they're joined at the hip. I'm sorry you have the understanding of a child when it comes to these things
>>
Why is this general even here?
It's either people arguing about unrelated shit or blog posts about what they play and nobody answering
>>
>>46592158
Hook nosed Jew be gone
>>
>>46592158
>they work together
Yes wizards don't reprint shit and Scg can put a 100$+ pricetag at simple cardboard
>Wizards makes money of old singles
Nope, they already sold the sets, they don't get any commission of Scg
>>
>>46592158
>+1$ added to your SCG account
>>
>>46592208
>Nope, they already sold the sets, they don't get any commission of Scg
No fucking shit. If they aren't making money because of counterfeits, wotc will be pressured by them
>>
>>46592247
>Impliying wizards can do something about counterfeits
>>
>>46592189
>>46592208
>>46592230
Are you serious? I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's just how it is
>>
brewing bogles

fuck ur mum

siding spirit mantle but i'm not sure about the rest
>>
Should I sell my extra gitaxian probes?

I have a lot
>>
>>46584153
>Playing?
UWR Control in modern
>Brewing?
Assault Formation Walls in standard
>Favorite deck?
Probably 8Rack
>Sideboard tech?
Meddling mage has to be my favorite
>Next MTG purchase?
A playset of Celestial Colonnade
>>
>>46588297
Seems more to do with the secondary market than anything wizard's did.
>>
>>46592351
If you don't need en, sell.them
>>
>>46592371
>Probably 8Rack
My nigga

Finally built it in paper. It's not the best but with some tuning it is good enough to win
>>
>>46592371
How are you playing UWr control without colonnades?
>>
>>46592384
Idk ive had bad experiences selling cards, almost every time they double in price within 3 months
>>
>>46592408
By taking it up the ass from Tron and every aggro deck in equal measure and winning the mirror with something else.
>>
>>46590878
Cards that effect the board state/ cards that disrupt people/ cards that retain value or gain value for free
>>
>>46590878
Look into mono green stompy
If beatdown isn't your thing, check out skred. Only the blood moons are pricey
>>
>>46584153
>Playing?
Zombie Loam
>Brewing?
Just finished brewing up a new version of Zombie loam
>Favorite deck?
>Sideboard tech?
Golgari Charm and Echoing Decay
>Next MTG purchase?
Verdant Catacombs, just finished getting loams today. Apparently people are buying them up like crazy, only Troll and Toad had them in stock
>>
>>46592186
It keeps them out of the other Magic threads.
Kind of.
>>
>>46591714
Shockingly good. It has a really good matchup vs blue decks. Pact of Negation is great for winning counter wars. Aggro decks can be tough since it does a lot of damage to itself with its manabase, but I could probably build that better. It has good game game 1 vs most strategies, but game 2-3 people bring powerful sideoard cards in that can fuck it up.
>>
>>46592280
>+1$ added to your SCG account
>>
>>46593050
Lol. Fuckin hilarious bud
>>
File: Well Timed Thought.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Well Timed Thought.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
Would this be a balanced version of a card with cascade for one mana?
>>
>>46593211
Why do none of these cards have proper wording. It's easy to word it correctly like wizards would but you can't and it just adds to the pathetic cards

Also please stop you autismo. It's not even ccg or whatever it's just some idiot fishing for replies
>>
File: image.jpg (522 KB, 1920x1120) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
522 KB, 1920x1120
So i bought a playset of agent of bolas a while ago for a crappy artifact control deck but now i hear he is actually usable with the ban list update

Anybody have suggestion on a primer
>>
>>46584153
>szord of ze meek
Gay AF
>>
>Playing?
G/W Hatebears. Never is this deck bad. It may not be the best, but I've found it's always had a chance. It's not Wescoe's list though, it's my own list.
>Brewing?

>Brewing in a format like Modern
Hahaha no. At least not till I get stable income

>Favorite deck?
Hatebears. Again, never is this deck not at least GOOD.
>Sideboard tech?
A split of 1 Kataki and one Stony Silence. The Kataki can be hit by Collected Company.
>Next MTG purchase?
Nothing till I get a stable income again. Though a playset of Declaration in Stone is something I want.
>>
>>46593211
Fuck off.
>>
File: Fuck Off Guy.jpg (48 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Off Guy.jpg
48 KB, 375x523
>>46593624
Thoughts on this card? Do you like it, I think it is very fitting flavor wise.
>>
>>46593211
see >>46590954 and >>46593624 Also that's broken as shit.
And should say "Cascade, cascade, cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order. Then do it again. Then do it again.)"
For reference, look at Contagion Engine and Maelstorm Wanderer.
>>
>>46593688
Why are you responding for christ sakes. He's doing this because idiots like you can't see he's a fucking troll
>>
>>46593688
Could you explain why it is broken? I don't see why it would be that strong aside from letting you cast three 0/2 thopters, which while good, I wouldn't consider game breaking, plus it would be very help for blue to have something like that as blue is weak to aggro.
>>
>>46594009
>it's a big one
>>
Anyone have a listen for the mono white enchantment prison deck? I want to meme it up.
>>
>>46593334
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/558912-ub-tezzeret-agent-of-bolas-control
>>46593370
Are you bitching because your aggro/burn deck is now worthless?
>>46593211
>>46593666
Autism speaks.
>>
>>46594383
>aggro/burn deck is now worthless?
>worthless
You've got a lot of faith in your meme deck lmao
>>
>>46594128
This is my current configuration.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-03-16-yOl-prison/
Storage Matrix is a test inclusion, but I think it'll work well with Prison. Porphyry Nodes are great, but in my experiences they don't run well alongside Enchantress.
>>
>>46589874
Yes, small typo. But yah, it just seems like a good option with all the card draw. I've never seen it played, so I don't know how many cards you end up discarding over the course of the game
>>
I just opened a Sin Prodder and Falkenrath Gorger, but I usually play only White/Blue.
What cards should I try to get?
The two cards are worth about $8.50.
>>
>>46594831
Thanks senpai
>>
>>46586254
What's your skred list look like so far?
>>
>>46594920
You should make a causal thread. You'll be likely to get more answers there
>>
>>46595126
Probably some shitty old list running mana rocks
>>
>>46592408
It sucks but all i have is Wandering Fumarole when not playing in sanctioned matches i have it proxied
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grixis-visitor/
How shit does this look? I don't have Kalitas yet, and I'm running too many non-spells for Delver.
>>
>>46595474
This is retarded levels of bad I don't even know where to begin
>>
>>46592405
What's your list anon?
>>
>>46584153
>Playing?
infect
>Brewing?
rug delver
>Favorite deck?
infect
>Sideboard tech?
invisible stalker
>Next MTG purchase?
playset of infernal tutor
>>
>>46593511
What's your list anon? I usually main hatebears but my meta is super creature heavy now so I'm shelving it for a little.
>>
>>46591028
>on a budget
>recommends buying a set of goyfs

ok.
>>
>>46595545
Thank you for your valuable insight.
>>
File: jankyredness.png (2 MB, 1344x962) Image search: [Google]
jankyredness.png
2 MB, 1344x962
Playing?
Budget Red Deck, Mono-Green, Goblins and a Warriors Deck
>Brewing?
nothing currently
>Favorite deck?
pic related
>Sideboard tech?
Volcanic Fallout
>Next MTG purchase?
Undergrowth Champions for my green deck
>>
File: Egyptian God Card.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Egyptian God Card.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
What card do you most wish would be reprinted for Modern?

pic related
>>
>>46596002
mommy of runes
>>
>>46596002
I would say invigorate, but I realize there's a zero percent chance if that, so I'll go with crop rotation.
>>
>>46596002
innocent blood
>>
>>46596002
Veteran Explorer
Cabal Therapy
Pernicious Deed
>>
>>46596048
Infect player spotted
>>
>>46596002
Wasteland
>>
I'm going to be selling off my affinity deck and likely out of modern entirely.

What would be a reasonable price for it? $800ish?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-04-16-modern-affinity/
>>
>>46596002
Cabal therapy
>>
>>46596135
Put up a list on MCM, hit "remove expensive" and "reduce shipments" in the shopping wizard, remove 25% from price.
>>
>>46595265
I don't run any in my list, I don't see the point. I run two solemns though, and commune with lava.
>>
>>46596158
You're cool then. Solemn is really good in certain lists too. Mine used to run them but moved in a different direction

How do you find the communes? I never got around to testing them
>>
>>46596002
Basking Rootwalla, would be so good in a green stompy with rancor
>>
>>46596002
Cabal Therapy
Innocent Blood
Fact Or Fiction
>>
>>46585033
>sideboard
Like the looks for it

here are some of the matchups you'll face and what to generally sb

>spell pierce
Burn, Infect, lets you survive til t5
Tron, counters planeswalkers, maybe jund if kcommand/lilly have been btfoing you
Control (if they play a celestial collonade it's control). for t6 countering their cryptic command on your timewarp
Combo, basically anything that ranging from Chord of Calling decks, Storm, Living End, Ad Nauseam, even Affinity for Cranial Plating.
Spell pierce is one of the best cards in your sb because it lets you get to turn 5 against a huge portion of the meta

>hurkyls

Btfos robot decks. Lantern and Affinity. If you're playing against a card named Puresteel Paladin, maybe don't bring hurkyls. Its not good for single artifact snipes either

>grafdiggers

Chord/Collected Company decks, Reanimator decks (they cast faithless looting then some bs black revive spell, usually on grisselbrand).
Dredge.
don't bring it vs living end as anon stated. Living end has a bunch of shitty common creatures with 1 mana cycling.
stops snappy too.

>relic
Living end, Dredge, Reanimator, Abzan Chord of Calling decks. vs Jund or blackgreen decks its cute. Stops snappy.

>lab maniac + thassa
I'd say stick to one, maybe add thassa to the maindeck in place of a gigadrowse/exhaustion. Thassa is less of an altwincon than you'd like since she gets stopped by Ensnaring Bridge, Lab Maniac works well. I use Jace Beleren personally. Tiny jace can work too if you don't mind him getting killed often.
With cryptic command you can bounce Bridge, so it's not a big deal, but Lantern control could mill your Cryptics which would suck, so jace is nice there too. If Abzan Chord does its infinite life combo, I'd rather Lab/Jace too.

>swansong

vs Death and Taxes it can counter their eidolon (they would Aether Vial it out next time). Unless you really want to counter Sorceries and Enchantments (Living End, mirror match, Ascendancy combo) Dispel is better.
>>
MTG has actually piqued my interest due to seeing that good good on social media and shit
my question is
h o w e v e r
where the fucc would I, a mere peon, begin?
Anybody got basics to the rules that they find are a reliable source for them?
also how much are packs/decks and whatnot for a britbong (roughly)
>>
>>46596201
I'm not sure yet, I just added them the other day and I'm gonna test them out tomorrow night at modern. I wanna try them because my main problem has always been an abundance of mana, as odd as that sounds.If you play the deck I think you'll know what I mean. Gimme a sec and I'll post my list (don't have it on tappedout)
>>
>>46596288
Go to a prerelease or buy a fat pack, then buy some single cards that work well with the cards you like that you get in those packs

make a deck, regret ever getting into the hobby and spending money and precious time on colored carboard
>>
>>46596288
Go to WoTC.com look for a local gamestore that does drafts or sealed and start playing that. Im sure people in the store would be willing to help
>>
>>46596288
I'm assuming you've never played before?
>>
>>46596269
Holy shit thank you for this write up. Immensely useful!
>>
>>46596331
I know exactly what you mean with the mana issue.
I used to run inferno titan and wurmcoil for that. Even tested banefire a bit but it was clunky
>>
Rules q;

If i block with a scion, then sac it for mana, then use that mana plus my only untapped land to cast warping wail, if the opponent destroys or removes the scion with Just the Wind - what happens? At what speed is the scion sacced at/can saccing be interupted?

The interplay caused confusion last night
>>
Can merfolk be good yet? Wizards will print good merfolk soon right? ;_;
>>
>>46596456
Meh, elves are better now
>>
>>46596419
Sacrificing the scion is the cost of activating it's ability. It can't be responded to or interrupted or prevented from happening in any other way.

You would have to do some silly shit like put mycosynth lattice and null rod/stony silence in to play to prevent scions from sacing
>>
>>46596419
Sacrifice is a cost; at the time you put the ability on the stack, Scion is already in the yard. It can't be targeted because it is no longer on the field.
>>
Here's my American (UWR) Control deck

Creature (4)
4x Snapcaster

Instant (28)
3x Cryptic Command
4x Lightning Helix
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Path to Exile
3x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Remand
4x Electrolyze
2x Sphinx's Revelation

Sorcery (2)
2x Supreme Verdict

Planeswalker (2)
2x Ajani Vengeant

Land (24)
4x Flooded Strand
4x Celestial Colonnade
2x Arid Mesa
3x Steam Vents
1x Glacial Fortress
1x Hallowed Fountain
2x Tectonic Edge
2x Sulfur Falls
3x Island
1x Plains
1x Desolate Lighthouse

SideBoard (15)
3x Meddling Mage
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Leyline of Sanctity
2x Stony Silence
1x Celestial Purge
1x Dispel
1x Wrath of God
1x Wear//Tear
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Rest in Peace

Hows it looking Fa/tg/uys?
>>
>>46596518
Generic/Generic. It will serve you no better nor worse than it has served thousands of others.
>>
>>46596288
use cockatrice to get the hang of it, and watch some youtube PTQs. Combat consists of you declaring attackers, them choosing blockers. You can attack planeswalkers as if they were players.
The stack is when you put an instant card/ability on top of someones instant card/ability.
So for example if you do 3 damage to my tiny creature, in response I can give it +3 toughness; if you give your creature +3 toughness I can in reponse do 3 damage to it and you lose your spell. Gaints Growth effects are fun in this game for that reason, maybe try a monogreen devotion list. Try buying singles, packs are too pricey to be feasible.
>>
>>46596288
Wotc has a free game on steam called magic duels origins or something like that. It's a decent tutorial to get your confidence up before you go to a shop looking to buy or play
>>
>>46596518
4 Helix and 4 Electrolyze seems too much. I suppose it depends on the meta, however.
>>
>>46596518
I'd run 2x grim lavamancer desu
>>
Looking for updated loam and dredgevine lists
>>
>>46596664
Good luck!
>>
>>46596630
Theres always burn in my meta
>>46596653
Interesting why wouldnt i run Keranos or another burner instead?
>>
>Playing?
UWR Control, baby!

>Brewing?
Nothing crazy at the moment.

>Favorite deck?
UWR Control

>Sideboard tech?
Aetherling. Don't laugh, it works.

>Next MTG purchase?
Foil 5D Serum Visions, Foil RAV Remands
>>
>>46596201
1 Anger of the Gods
3 Blood Moon
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Commune with Lava
3 Demigod of Revenge
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Magma Jet
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Scrying Sheets
4 Skred
21 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Volcanic Fallout

Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blood Moon
2 Boil
3 Dragon's Claw
2 Fulminator Mage
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Shatterstorm
2 Vexing Shusher
>>
File: 1458514625417.jpg (38 KB, 502x467) Image search: [Google]
1458514625417.jpg
38 KB, 502x467
>>46585897
>I will jam Eidolon of Rhetoric into any sideboard I can and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

My nigga, are you me?
>>
>>46596381
I forgot some. for vs Storm, Relic of Progenitus can stop their Pyromancers from going off by clearing some goodies from their graveyard (they add quest counters on cast, not on response, so play Relic early and use its ability when you can get 2+ spells with it)
Vs burn/infect hold off on using mine/kruphix too early if you can, the extra card could make the difference. Spellskites can absorb pump spells from Infect and enchantments from hexproof boggles, very good vs burn too.

As for what to take out when sideboarding:
on the draw, I find remands bad unless it's vs a combo deck so they usually go.

a few exhaustion/gigadrowse can come out instead if youre on the play or vs combo

exhaustion is better vs decks that can play spells at instant speed like burn.
gigadrowse is THE BEST card vs control and the mirrormatch. They are always holding a counter, so at the end of their turn you can it on their lands. They tap out, and they cant even counter Gigadrowse since it has Replicate, then you combo. giga is also good when they have to cast things on their mainphase too like vs tron, or creature heavy decks, like infect

Sometimes take out a time spell or two if you need space for more sideboard bombs
>>
>>46596394
This is my list >>46596910

I'm running demigods, which I love, but I might run wurmcoils instead since they synergize really nicely with Wurmcoil. But man, just one demigod hitting the field turns it around for me so much. I've only lost game out of the nine I've landed him in.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 223x310
Swansong is also nice vs Storm and Infect, but so is Spellpierce.
>>
Thinking of doing some vampire madness with a hint of Zombies.

I just found 2 of my old Odyssey Zombie Infections.
>>
Building u/w turbo fog based off of saffron's list, any suggestions or improvements? Anyone who plays the deck have any tips?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-91-35-tix-modern-tutelage-turbo-fog
>>
>>46597345
I love demigod but there's too many decks running Maelstrom Pulse and scooze in my meta for it to be great.

How have the shushers worked for you. When twin was around I ran defense grid and it was great but never had shushers to try out.

Might seem like jank but have you considered skin invasion from the new set. I get wet thinking about making their creatures swing into reckoner and giving me a 3/4
>>
Why doesn't Affinity run Tempered Steel?
>>
>>46597542
You can't get 2 white mana reliably without big changes to your mana base.
>>
>>46597542
Because double white and it's really slow for a small buff like that when master, overseer, plating get absurd
>>
>>46597395
radkos. Or go the loam route, but i like the idea of value through zombie infection. fiery temper and lightning axe, soi madness value vamps,
>>
>>46596500
>>46596504
I had a feeling, thanks m8s
>>
>>46596257
>Fact Or Fiction
no stop i don't want to die of acute morbid priyapism
>>
>>46596518
Consider AV.
>>
Anybody play the free Magic Duels on steam?

Is it worth trying, is there a big enough card pool to build some fun decks?
>>
What's with the meme of us suddenly hating any and all custom cards now? It's not even happening over stupid shit with fake keywords or obviously broken effects, but cards that Wizards could realistically print in a future set. Yet all these posters get is a "fuck off" for wanting to explore the mechanics of the game.
>>
File: AEther_Vial.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
AEther_Vial.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
Guys, I already got Aether Vials and Mutavaults and I'm thinking of making a Death and Taxes Deck.
What's your opinion about it? Fun, enough competitive or would i feel like a waste of money when comparing to my other decks?
I already have Merfolks, Green Devotion and Tooth and Nail, and i was thinking of trying something different (control) without needing to sell my buttocks in the public park.
>>
>>46597948
It's made for newer players to learn the rules. Actually fun decks will require a different program.
>>
>>46596002
Soulcatcher's Aerie, I want Bird tribal to finally be a thing.
>>
>>46597948
it's pretty trashy, doesn't represent all the phases of the game.
>>
File: 1367520027887.jpg (34 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1367520027887.jpg
34 KB, 375x523
>>46597988
1. It's not a meme. /ccg/ is its own thread, and anyone looking to share or discuss custom cards can look there.
2. 99% of what's been posted in Modern Generals recently is retarded shit no one in their right minds would believe Wizards would print. It's obviously a troll at work.
>>
>>46598083
>Judge's Familiar
>Stormscape Familiar
>Squadron Hawk
>Aven Mindcensor
Not many modern-playable birds, sadly.
>>
>>46597988
Most of the shit posted here are broken, and stupidly designed. Examples:
>>46593211
Broken as fuck.
>>46590866
Terribly designed.
>>46593666
Only decent one but still shit.
If you want to discuss custom cards, there are threads for that.
>>
File: Cancel Remand Madness Hybrid.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Cancel Remand Madness Hybrid.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
>>46598467

>tfw no pissed off dude to tear apart my card designs

i just wanted to see this in SOI
>>
Anyone got the updated graphic that shows the iterative/fairness of each deck?
>>
>>46595474
I think your curve is a little too high. and I dont think Asylum Visitor is that great to run 4 of.
>>
>>46596456
You got one in origins. Give faeries more love.
>>
>>46598570
>cancel with upside ala stoic rebuttal, hinder and dissolve
>madness on a counterspell is niche enough that it wouldn't be op, but so dank in grixis with lil jace
I like it
>>
>>46598570
Literally no one cares. This will never get printed just like the rest of the retarded custom shits, so it literally does not matter and any discussion about it is pointless and retarded.
>>
File: gushmercadianmasqueschinese.jpg (121 KB, 600x838) Image search: [Google]
gushmercadianmasqueschinese.jpg
121 KB, 600x838
>>46596002
innocent blood
goblin welder
pernicious deed
aluren
pic related
>>
Zombie deck i'm working on.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/zombies-are-us/

Still working on some kinks.
>>
>>46596002
Flametongue Kavu (functional reprint)
>>
>>46598801
BB and SSS are the reason Fae will never get new toys.
>>
Were there modern side events at Baltimore? Curious to see some of the decklists.
>>
>>46596288
Now is literally the worst time to play magic
>>
>>46584153
EDH player here. I take it there's a new deck in modern that's to blame for those 3 cards spiking up in price?
>>
>>46584153
>playing
this: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ongoing-mill-attempt/
Please tell me how shit of an attempt this is
>brewing
something centered around burn and token creatures, really want to find a way to incorporate Descent of the Dragons into something
>the rest
none, still new to modern and dont want to invest in an expensive deck until i can make something not-shit.
>>
>>46600795
Actually no, there isn't a deck. Ancestral and sword were just unbanned and everybody panic bought them because there might be a deck. And for days /tg/ was full of

>fucking speculators holy shit they ruin everything so glad I bought my 11 play sets before it spiked :*)
>>
>>46595779
>"I'm in denial that I have poor deckbuilding choices and I still want to feel unique and special :<"
>>
>>46601035
You're a little slow on the draw
>>
File: bdee49cd37[1].png (33 KB, 730x520) Image search: [Google]
bdee49cd37[1].png
33 KB, 730x520
Baltimore top 8

No Eldrazi in the top 32
>>
>>46595474
It's not trash if you don't like winning
>>
>>46601108
No affinity either, interesting
>>
>>46601108
Did that get streamed at all?
>>
File: 30296d2f4c[1].jpg (123 KB, 726x660) Image search: [Google]
30296d2f4c[1].jpg
123 KB, 726x660
>>46601342
Only two in the top 32

>>46601391
I don't think so since it was a side event

One motherfucker got top 32 with an Angel deck.

Blood Moon is a hell of a drug
>>
>>46601108
Looks like scape shift might actually be a thing with bring to light now that Eldrazi is gone, I'm surprised it beat out Jun though.
>>
>Playing?

Owling Mine with the addition of Fevered Visions

>Brewing?

I'm currently working on a mono-blue Tempo deck that uses Vedalken Shackles as the win-con. I love "Control Magic" effects and Vedalken Shackles is among the best. I'm working the bugs out of the deck now and tweaking it for my local meta.

>Favorite deck?

I'm having a ton of fun with this Tempo Deck, so it's probably my favorite right now.

>Sideboard tech?

Mizzium Meddler. I can't afford to drop the money for a playset of Spellskites, so I had to settle for the next best body in Modern.

>Next MTG purchase?

Probably my fourth Snapcaster. Three is great, but four is value.
>>
>>46601598
3 tho per decks in the top 32 and all the control decks running 4 visions, dan maybe we can have some control
>>
>>46601605
1st place list didn't have any btls, it had prismatic omen instead
>>
>>46601598
I like this
>>
>>46597528
I've only seen one Jund player and not a lot of GY hate at my meta but I might try wurmcoils just for the sickkk Pia and Kiran synergy. I really like Vexing Shusher. I have a lot of blue in my meta - Grixis, U-Tron and UW all make a few showings - and he does all kinds of work. I can always tell they hate using removal on him, cause he's pretty much just a Grizzly Bear, but they can't afford to let him live if they have an answer. Skin Invasion is a pretty neat idea, and works will with wurmcoils. How many were you thinking of running?
>>
>>46602052
P n K and wurmcoil synergies?
>>
>>46602086
I was (mostly) making a joke, since wurmcoil is an artifact, but I could see it being useful for more blockers or to chuck damage at an opponent who has too many blockers.
>>
>>46602207
You're not funny, fucking kill yourself.
>>
File: 20160401_175918.jpg (991 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160401_175918.jpg
991 KB, 2560x1536
>>46596910
>Running a full set of koth
For what purpose
>>46598570
Kek
>>46601108
At least we're out of winter.
>>46589076
Why the fuck do you need emrakul?
Literally mindslaver lock + wurmcoil or steel jewkite.

Also please notice my latest tron build senpai(s)
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/urzas-solitaire/
>>
>>46602263
Calm down anon, I know it's miserable to play modern but you don't have to take it out on the rest of us
>>
File: images(12).jpg (25 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
images(12).jpg
25 KB, 265x370
I want to see someone brew a PnK U/R cantrip deck with follow the evidence, rapid fire off cluesplosions, counter their shit? Raging clue, burn their creatures? Raging clue
>>
File: 1455480611741.jpg (38 KB, 386x314) Image search: [Google]
1455480611741.jpg
38 KB, 386x314
>Quit modern when Eldrazi is out in full force.
>They're finnaly gone
>Still really don't have strong desire to play

Should I just quit MTG at this point?
>>
>>46603436
Removing Eldrazi didn't fix modern
>>
File: Untitled.png (42 KB, 742x688) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
42 KB, 742x688
>Playing?
Pic Related
>Brewing?
Nothing, don't play often enough to care

>Favorite deck?
Pic related

>Sideboard tech?
Testing Grafdigger's and Torpor Orb

>Next MTG purchase?
Nothing until a new set comes out.
>>
>>46602207
>>46602263
It has helped me when they try to path it. It's not retarded
>>
Playing burn but i dont really get alot of time to actually play, just picked up playsets of foil chain lightning, fireblast and price of progress so i can play legacy if the chance arises, meh
>>
>>46596908
>Aethering

this desu, aetherling is my secret mainboard tech
>>
>>46596096
HELL YES WHO ELSE /NIC FIT/ HERE
>>
Should all memedern players be lined up and shot?
>>
>>46604436
No
>>
Honest question

Why the hell would anyone play Modern over another format?
>>
>>46604573
It's fun

>inb4 hur dur your opinion is wrong
>>
I feel like I should sell off my affinity deck. I have a feeling people are going to be packing a lot of artifact hate now.
>>
>>46604603
Every other format is more fun
>>
>>46604573
Its the "competitive" format
>>
>>46584153
>Playing?
Grixis Control
>Brewing?
Grixis Control with Thopter/Sword jammed into it
>Favorite deck?
Grixis Twin RIP
>Sideboard tech?
I don't think Nihil Spellbomb is weird enough to count
>Next MTG purchase?
Probably some Dank-Dwellers
>>
Honestly Modern players are among the worst people I know. They're just bad.
>>
What's filled the gap that Eldrazi Beats left after the bannings? Is ramp viable?
>>
What's wrong with people playing a literal meme format? If I wanted to invest in a competitive moneysink I'd play Legacy, if I wanted to have fun I'd play EDH.
>>
>>46604629
>standard
>fun
>gw devotion vs gw devotion.jpg
>>
>>46599149

gush is so busted in vintage but somehow im not sure it would be played much in modern, maybe im wrong
>>
File: 1452650061314.jpg (112 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452650061314.jpg
112 KB, 500x500
>>46604868
>>46604749
>>46604629
>>46604573
>>46604436
No one cares what you think dude. Seriously, why would you take time out of your day to shot up a thread, you're so autistic it's painful
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.