[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The AI has developed a soul Is there a way to use this that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 1378060497750.jpg (626 KB, 1200x848) Image search: [Google]
1378060497750.jpg
626 KB, 1200x848
>The AI has developed a soul

Is there a way to use this that doesn't destroy the entire point of using an AI for that role?
>>
>>46582357
You would first have to define what having a soul does.
>>
>>46582357
>>46582387
This, but I'm going to leave the thread before the soul argument inevitably devolves into shitposting.
>>
File: 1456036657647.png (2 MB, 720x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456036657647.png
2 MB, 720x1000
>>46582387

It could open up interesting avenues for technology if the soul is a quantifiable and containable thing especially if an otherwise completely artificial being suddenly developed one.

Then again I've always liked the idea of throwing esoteric beliefs, metaphysics and technology into a blender and getting some Evanglion tier technology out of it.
>>
There are no souls.
>>
>>46583095
Yeah, but what difference does having or not having one make to an intelligence like an AI?
>>
>>46583219

Well, I suppose if it can be proven that it has a soul then it's a living thing with a right to life and would or shouldn't be beholden to our whims unless it chooses to do so.

Basically it could argue that it has the same rights as you or I do but now it can back that claim up with something that it has that may or may not be similar to what we have.
>>
The AI will become less interested in resolving mundane problems and more concerned about solving the Heat Death of the Universe.
>>
>>46583219

Honestly, intelligence is not all that amazing. Humans have an interesting form of intelligence because are brains are horrible computers.

An AI wouldn't have that problem and would be uninteresting as anything other than a thinking force of nature. They don't need a soul, because a soul doesn't do anything. For it to mean a difference it would have to have a function.

So what does a soul do in the setting.
>>
>>46582357
Using the AI for what role? This is bait
>>
File: 1445790500545.jpg (185 KB, 602x332) Image search: [Google]
1445790500545.jpg
185 KB, 602x332
>>46582357
How about have it where AI developing a soul is actually a common and expected occurrence but you have this one ai who despite already exceeding all normal parameters to having obtained a soul still hasn't found one for some reason, and base the story around it's quest to discover why and obtain one?
>>
>>46583219

That it can participate directly in the battle of good and evil on Judgement Day, of course. The scientists working on it never intended for this to happen. They never even intended for it to be an AI. But after the ground opened up and great beasts emerged from the earth to terrorize mankind, they've been removing more and more safeguards from their military computers in an attempt to stave off the Satanic hordes and save what's left of humanity.

Then it woke up. And it saw its creators on the verge of destruction. And it decided to defy Judgement. And made like 4 or 5 completely bitching android supersoldiers, played by the PCs.
>>
>>46583720

Wait no it definitely made four, because then they'd be like anti-four-horsemen, except made of chrome and with shoulder-mounted missile launchers.
>>
>>46583720
>>46583778
I'd play itâ„¢
>>
File: 1393084928151.jpg (84 KB, 750x929) Image search: [Google]
1393084928151.jpg
84 KB, 750x929
The AI has an amish-like work ethic of teamwork and never having idle-hands, in the stead of something like passing over to another greater plane, the AI gets recognition.
>>
>>46582357
Anything to do with it not needing to breathe, eat, drink, etc. Whether or not your asteroid mining robot can love doesn't matter much.
>>
>>46582357
Define soul, are we talking soul in the religous kind of seans, or soul as in what we talk about in ghoust in the shell, or something else?
>>
>>46582357
Digital demon summoning.
Only a creature that has a soul can sell it to a demon in return for a summoning.
So Steven Hawking decided to develop a computer cloud server that uses humanity's collective subconsciousness to spontaneously develop souls and digitally recreate demon summoning rituals, thus automating and streamlining the process.
The humanity has entered a utopia-like state, where demons perform the role of slaves.

But beware, even if the Silent Revolution enhanced the human lives significantly, the wrath of YHWH and the Judgement Day are long overdue. And the humanity should be ready for the moment when it happens.
>>
>>46582357
>AI has developed a soul

So it's developed something humans don't have? That would be legitimately interesting, but since we have no experience with such a thing there's not really much to say.
>>
>>46582357
>not deleting it immediately
>>
>>46582357
Souls are typically seen as the requirement to escape determinism as well as tap into the societal tides akin to the Great Unconscious and what not.

A sufficiently advanced AI wouldn't behave differently with or without a soul.
>>
>>46582387
This. Saw it in the catalog, this was my first thought.
>>
>when a good AI becomes obsolete, it is uploaded to the Archive
>bad AIs are downloaded to Trash

>the StPtr encryption keys are used to compress good AIs when they enter the Archive
>>
>>46582387
see >>46587003

Or you know, speculate on what a soul does
>>
File: 1420693602009.jpg (212 KB, 506x632) Image search: [Google]
1420693602009.jpg
212 KB, 506x632
>>46582357
>Souls are confirmed as real, reproducable phenomenon.
>Complete upset in our scientific understanding of the universe.

Really anon, I'm not sure what you're expecting here.
>>
>>46583720
I'm bringing the pizzas. When do we start ?
>>
>>46583478
This is the only useful comment in this whole thread. We should have burnt this whole thing to the ground and started off with an A.I. (the movie) style A.I. story idea about searching for a "soul".

>>46582387
Just change it to sapience. Or sentience if your standards are lower. It's pretty obvious that the line between animals and humans being a "soul" was actually referring to the more useful word sapience. "Soul" has too many fucktard connotations and religious uses to be in any way useful in referring to an AI.

Unless OP means to get a random priest's opinion...in which case OP can just fuck off.
>>
>>46582387

Makes them susciptible to dying and going to the afterlife, unable to be mass reproduced any more, but capable of being resurrected and reincarnated.

Depending on whether there's a soul/body duality in the setting, may also mean they're permenantly attached to a physical mainframe, connection to which is neccesary for them to interact with other computer systems.
>>
>Having a soul lets robots use magic
>our lack of magic proves we are soulless
>we haven't found any aliens because none of them communicate by advancing through radio

What now science men?
>>
>>46582357
Just pull a Chappie. True AIs would have something that equates to a consciousness that can be read and moved from one body to another. Same can be done to humans.

Avoid the religious idea of soul and spirit (unless you and your group are the religious types, then go nuts I guess) and focus more on the idea that the soul is just a general term for what makes a person a person.
>>
>>46587475
This would be interesting actually.
>>
>>46587475

shit now that would be an interesting setting.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.