[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post-Y2K Apocalypse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: y2k.jpg (34 KB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
y2k.jpg
34 KB, 400x262
What would a setting that takes place after Y2K be like?
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 358x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 358x456
Systems Failure was based on the Y2K Bug. Pun intended as you fight giant bugs.
>>
>>46574165
A setting where Triple H buries you at Wrestlemania
>>
>>46574165
00's/War on Terror setting
>>
File: GURPS Y2K.jpg (63 KB, 612x793) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Y2K.jpg
63 KB, 612x793
>>46574165
GURPS
>>
Exactly like our setting. The fucking date on a computer has 0 effect on any of its other processes so there was no threat at all in Y2K.
>>
>>46579170

Untrue. January 1st, 1970 is a pivotal date in a computer's programming, and much of the date and time functions are based off that. It was set to that date because most every computer now in use has been in used after it, so basing programming off of it would make a relatively stable date as a baseline for a computer's date and time functions, which tie into many other systems.

A recent iPhone troll was to tell people to set their phone's date to 1/1/1970, which caused a programming fault that led to a cascade of errors and complete, irreparable bricking of the phone.
>>
>>46579372
I refuse to believe that your phone just crashes if you put its date before 1970. I did it with my iPod once and nothing changed. It would also be a absolutely retarded thing to add into a product that it completely breaks if you change the date.
>>
>>46579416

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/15/apple-acknowledges-iphone-bricking-1970-date-bug-says-upcoming-software-update-will-fix/

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/dont-set-your-iphone-back-to-1970-no-matter-what/

http://gizmodo.com/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-this-1970-iphone-bug-1759242670

I mean, it's been patched, but it happened. A google search will tell you as much.
>>
>>46579455
I stand corrected. Doesn't mean it wasn't retarded but it was real.
>>
>>46579756

And you're right. It's still retarded even though it was real.

Programming's a bitch, and recently one open-source programmer accidentally almost broke half the internet by deleting a large portion of his own code from the open-source provider after he had a falling out with another company over a name.

It was fixed easily enough, though. I mean, shit like this happens, and it's inconvenient, but it's never really broken the whole world. The programming thing was fixed by people stepping in to replace the code and other companies just loading cached versions to fix it. The iPhone bug only affected iPhones, and only those users who heard of it and actually did it (I've got one, but I didn't hear of it until after the aftermath and consequent patch).
>>
>>46579055
b a s e d
>>
>>46579170

well, no.

there was no threat because we had a decade of notice on that shit and it was patchable. That doesn't mean there wasnt anything to patch.
>>
>>46574165
The 1940's or so.
>>
>>46579170
>>46579372
>>46579416
>>46579756
haha wait till the Y2K38 problem hits

then we're gonna see some shit once un-updateable embedded systems (such as medical gear, old computers that power really expensive CNC milling machines, etc) fall over.

It's still not going to kill anyone (probably) or cause the apocalypse like y2k didn't, but it will be a big pain in the ass for anyone who's still using old software.

Only 22 years until it hits.
>>
>>46585862
Also forgot to mention but there's more problems of this type related to 64-bit and 128-bit time representations, but they'll be someone else's problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_formatting_and_storage_bugs
>>
back on the subject,

Windows 98 SE is the peak of technology for over 180 years

Madonna and Britney Spears are the iconic goddesses of the Old Times

dec 31 1999
The biggest concert on Earth that night is by Phish, playing for 75,000 people at the Big Cypress Indian Reservation in Florida. 100 years later the concert is continued every weekend by the descendants of Phishburg built on the old reservation
The manhattan skyscraper archipelago is dominated by the world trade center
>>
File: DBZJimProfit.jpg (7 KB, 211x162) Image search: [Google]
DBZJimProfit.jpg
7 KB, 211x162
>>46577636
>9/11 still happens do to Y2K bug and people hate Bush a lot less seeing this as unavoidable do to computer systems being down.
>Pivotal subsidies are made to boost computer development back to what they were pre-Y2K and the war on terror is more supported than irl because of the fear.

>This creates a golden age where America is highly advanced and has 2015 or higher level computing in like 2005. However, because of their war crimes now the world is looking at them much more closely and unlike our timeline, they're fucking serious about imposing U.N. sanctions.
>The American government's official position is "do something about it faggot".

>You as the player are probably one of those gun-men hackers subsidized by the government. A variety of skill checks involving developing viruses, malware, etc to counterpro the world's grid as well as the ultimate goal is to get their nuke codes and launch them upon themselves so America is the only dog on the block.

>America is the bad guy... America was ALWAYS the bad guy.
>Now it's just more fucking obvious.
>My body is ready.
>>
It would be awsome, because it would stop NSA

Unless the fuckers find a way to "hey (insert something here) Y2K, we need NSA spying on citizens
>>
>>46587361
Before you say "you are just changing one evil to another" (like living on a jungle to not pay taxes), the Y2K thing could be fixed on the future our current NSA wont, what NSA do is illegal yet it exist, so no one one will stop it becuse if people telling it to stop meant something, nsa spying wouldnt even start
>>
File: 1430175615091.jpg (3 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1430175615091.jpg
3 KB, 125x112
>>46586855
>>
It would be a Mad Max / Car Wars

Food Riots

Petty baronies with medicine, food or fuel

The recent Appleseed Movie without the tech

Wall Street is crippled, the riots might be bad enough for the system to fail

FEMA takes over, then
>>
2000s punk apocalypse when

Early 4chan desu cult
God Emperor Dubya
Something about gamecubes
>>
>>46588878
somethinga bout gamecubes...
>>
File: 1999 pink jumpsuit.jpg (85 KB, 348x600) Image search: [Google]
1999 pink jumpsuit.jpg
85 KB, 348x600
The fashions of 1999 will be the standard for 100 years

If girls have to wear jumpsuits in the future, this is a good choice
>>
>>
>>46579170
My professor worked on a mainframe for a bank in Kansas City and he had to go through and reformat almost every bank transaction they've ever done for ~30 years or so because they were using 2 digit dates

so yeah it had an impact, just a tiny one
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.