[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bottomless Pit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: Bottomless Pit.jpg (63 KB, 571x379) Image search: [Google]
Bottomless Pit.jpg
63 KB, 571x379
You enter a chamber with a bottomless pit. It is six meters in diameter. Be careful. If you fall into the Bottomless Pit, you'll die of starvation.
>>
>>46573136
i think you'd die of dehydration first. or tumbling into the wall in any number of ways at terminal velocity and breaking yourself in a dozen fun ways.

I wonder if we could use this as a toxic waste dump... I wonder what the air pressure is like five hundred kilometers down.
>>
>>46573243
I think you'd die from the heat first.
Earth is HOT.
>>
>>46573136
>wizard casts Fly
>flies out
>fighter plummets into oblivion
>his dessicated corpse will still be falling in 10,000 years time from now

And they say 5e "fixed" caster imbalance. Top kek.
>>
>>46573136
Damn good thing my character always carries 100 feet of rope and his wings

On a different note, where does the bottomless pit go for it to be bottomless? Space? A different plane? A different bottomless pit on the other side of the planet and there's a rune of reverse gravity in the middle so you don't notice the change in force?
>>
>>46573243
>you'd die of dehydration first. or tumbling into the wall in any number of ways at terminal velocity and breaking yourself in a dozen fun ways.
This.

I think you could also somehow turn this into some kind of infinite power generator with magic but I'm not sure.
>>
>>46573136
if its infinate then is has infinate oxigen inside it.
close the top and harvest free oxigen fron the bottonlesspit
>>
>>46573370
It goes through the planet and out the other side.
>>
>>46573456
>if its infinate then is has infinate oxigen inside it.
>close the top and harvest free oxigen fron the bottonlesspit

Right, so you can get in on that sweet sweet oxygen market and make bank. Not like there's as much as you could ever need for free everywhere you go or anything.
>>
>>46573583
There are no free resources on this planet.
Even sand is becoming a valuable commodity.
>>
>>46573583
Anon doesn't see the potential resource known as OXYGEN, when in space.

Oil/Gasoline wasn't seen as valuable until Industrialization. Imagine this infinite Oxygen during a space faring civilization! Oh we'll be rolling in the sheckles.
>>
Gravitational acceleration would put our body under speeds it's not designed for long before starvation or dehydration.
>>
>>46574482
You need to go back to school.
>>
>>46573136
Ohhh.... A wizard toilet. I don't need to go right now.

Let's face it, it's the sort of thing a wizard would make to dispose of his crap
>>
>>46573462
>someone drilled a hole all the way through the Earth

But for what purpose?
>>
>>46573370
The pit actually only goes down 500 feet. The last twenty feet are just a pair of portals feeding into each other.
>>
>>46574549
Or if he's petty and crass and does not fear possible retaliation, a "toilet of transporting my shit such that it lands on my choice or a random selection of people who annoy me/random people".
>>
>>46574768
Going to australia
>>
>>46573370
It goes forever. That's where it goes.
>>
>>46573406
The one that comes to me is you tie a heavy weight to a pull style generator and an absolute shitload of rope and then just let it do it's thing.

If gravity continues to act on the weight the entire time it falls, it should pull the engine and produce pretty constant power.
>>
>>46575273
>>46574549
You guys are missing a huge opportunity: A toilet that puts your waste not on someone else, but IN someone else. Warp your shit into the king's colon.
>>
>>46577426
That would still require rope as a sort of fuel
>>
>>46577521
Sure. but I'm pretty sure you'd get more energy out of the machine then you used making the rope.

And given that the pit is bottomless, your initial rope investment could be absolutely massive and it could be years before you would have to replace it.
>>
File: h9q9cob.png (34 KB, 549x398) Image search: [Google]
h9q9cob.png
34 KB, 549x398
>>46573136
>>
>>46573345
>Fighter spreads his arms and legs to catch himself on the wall
>Probably takes some damage from the fast impact
>Second Wind to get hitpoints back, climb up using Athletics

Alternatively

>Eldritch Knight also casts Fly
>>
>>46577613
>replace it.
Or you just attach new rope to the old one. I dunno, tie it together or something. If possible, you might want some kind of steel cable instead because it would last longer and support more weight.

As your technology advances and you have sturdier cables, you could upgrade it by putting heavier weights into the hole, thereby generating more power from it. Alternately, you could attach increasing numbers of cables/ropes to the weight, and probably use some engineering principles to hold it up better, thereby increasing the weight that can be used.

Upgrading the generator would require cutting off the weight and letting it fall down the hole... so pray to whatever god is in your setting that the hole is truly bottomless and you're not accidentally bombarding someone with falling weights.

Remember kids, gravity is a renewable energy source when you have bottomless pits.
>>
>>46573136
I thought that was a post-penetration asshole when I first saw the thumbnail.
>>
>>46573136
I jump in the pit.
>>
>>46573698
Fuck you, I can go and grab all the wood I want from the side of the road and no one can stop me.
>>
>>46573136
So, it just goes through the planet?

Shortcut to China!
>>
>>46573136
In this situation my party would probably push my bard down the pit and the force me not to play as bard because the class is bad because I died.
>>
Jump into the pit.
>>
>>46579897
Unless you can climb out you'd start falling again
>>
File: IMG_20151230_132309281_HDR.jpg (851 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151230_132309281_HDR.jpg
851 KB, 1920x1080
I got this...see you guys on at the bottom.

Wheeeeeeee
>>
>>46573136
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEFBxDGRw8
>>
>>46573136
Dear bottomless pit,
I wake up for a deep search for intent, and belief in myself. But.. the day is intense. And death, driven with some euphoria... I'm thinking now, if I ever want your opinion i'll give it, to you, over and over... like... Egyptians fucking the crocodiles. And that's my mind now too.
There's a string shooting out from the back of my mind. It's behind me... living. I can't see it. I've just heard about it. No knows of how long it is, or how far it goes, including me!
It tows a star shielding my back. As we... accelerate indefinitely! We run so fast, the star might actually be pulling me forward! Guiding me from the front! i pretend like I... I don't know the difference but I do!
Eternally is very eternally. Eternity is very okay.
Dear bottomless pit,
I need you here to undo me. But.. the day is intense. Driven with some euphoria... I'm thinking now, I've never been bored until this moment. And.. this moment is gone, forever.
I've got a strong sense of sense. And in this case... not liking it says more about you then not liking it, I say this! Before you kill me make sure it's dead.
I look at it all for a second. I'm finally slower now. I go to sleep with worry, and fantasy. Watching, by the way, I don't whisper.
It's the saddest thing, that I have to numb the truth when my dreams come true. It's fucking lame actually. One thought at a time. I see! People love to confess and design the confession. Designer, non-confessions. Six walls of sex. Now that's there's... nothing else to it... we can move on.
Specialized. I am specialized. I've been smoking myself again too. Love you. Fuck you. Now... crawl into hell.
And then nothing went serious...
>>
>>46577516
The fabled telepoop
>>
>>46573136
>>ctrl+F
>>Ring of Sustenance
>>zero results
Fucking hell, NO ONE?
>>
>>46574482
A Black Hole in the astrophysics sense is a kind of bottomless pit, but I think OP was talking about a bottomless pit of the more literal variety, in the vein of classical geometry only.
>>
>>46579879
As long as 'all you want' isn't much at all.

If you turn that 'go and grab all the wood I want from the side of the road' into a lumber business, then you'll find that there'll be a lot of people who will stop you - and that's before you've completely used it all up, which will happen in no time if you're harvesting it on the scale of a lumber business.
>>
Question. What would happen/what would there be if I broke thorough the wall of the hole say...several hundred thousand kilometers down?
>>
>>46580868
get help
>>
File: 1455745744101.gif (2 MB, 294x239) Image search: [Google]
1455745744101.gif
2 MB, 294x239
>>46582699

More bottomless pit, obviously. It's bottomless in every direction. All pits are bottomless in every direction; we just build walls in them to make ourselves feel better.
>>
>>46573136
I have create food and water. Fuck you, I'm going to live the rest of my natural life falling down.
>>
>>46577936
Have a long rope with a claw on each end that can be opened and closed remotely. Loop it once around the input shaft of a generator, stick a big rock in the claw, and drop it down. When you run out of rope, drop the rock and put a new rock in the other side. The longer your rope, the longer each rock will last you.
>>
File: 1449716206599.jpg (60 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
1449716206599.jpg
60 KB, 720x450
>>46583206
Shit man that's deep.

You might even say that it's

Bottomless
>>
>>46573136
I can teleport out. No big.
>>
I'll stay away from it then
>>
>>46581881
I actually do sell firewood from time to time that I get from the side of the road. It's legal here to gather it, but not many people do. Sure if everyone did, there'd be an issue, but they're not.
>>
>>46583800
The Les Stroud approach to survival.
>>
>>46573339
it's bottomless. It doesn't go into the earth.
>>
Turn gravity by 90 degrees and you have a really long hallway. I bet it'd make a sweet wizard tower with some false gravity.
>>
>>46583263
Well, since "weightlessness" is just falling in style, you'd develop other health problems as well. Vision loss, muscle and bone loss, etc. You'd be like an astronaut in a your own, private weightless cell.

Pissing and shitting would probably get pretty messy, too. Is the terminal velocity of urine and feces significantly different than a person? If not you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
File: dude what.png (200 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
dude what.png
200 KB, 480x480
>>46580868
>>
>>46577936
>tie it together or something

eventually there would be so much weight from all the tied-on ropes that it couldn't support itself and you'd have to start over
>>
>>46573136

Death Frost Doom does it better. It has a bottomless pit which also houses an eldritch abomination giant spider. It's also said that it's not actually bottomless, but that if a young elf throws himself down, he'll hit the bottom before he dies of old age.
>>
File: delete this.jpg (26 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
delete this.jpg
26 KB, 540x720
>>46573136
what's making me do anything near the pit to begin with?
>>
>>46573136
What if you're immortal?
>>
>>46573370
It goes to Fall. If you want to know what Fall is, look on Sup/tg/.
>>
>>46573136
I'm mostly curious how I was able to immediately identify that it was bottomless without performing any tests.
>>
>>46580868
yo this nigga's gonna go insane before he starves.
>>
>>46583206
Why don't we cover the bottomless pits then so that people don't fall in?
>>
>>46586059
Curiosity.
>>
See, if you fall into a bottomless pit, would the top now become infinite too?
>>
If I were to drop a camera with a (infinite range) radio attached to it into the hole Would it eventually get so fast that the radio signals, when leaving the radio, are going down instead of up or completely stopped? If you got a car up to .50c and turned on the headlights would that light be going at 1.5c?
>>
>>46573136
What if a layer in the Abyss or Outer Plane is just this, a plane of infinite depth, essentially it's a black hole and as you fall in your entire being is painfully horribly stretched and crushed until you are obliterated
>>
>>46586059
To weed out the dumb ones.
>>
>>46586362
a plane that's pretty x axis and z axis wise, but infinitely tall y axis wise could be neat.
>>
>>46586436
But fall too infinitely far and you'll be crushed into nothingness
Even magic or the power of gods do not prevent this. It is where the multiverse goes to die
>>
>>46573965
Remind me again how space travellers benefit from oxygen in a hole underground in a dungeon?
>>
>>46586289
>If I were to drop a camera with a (infinite range) radio attached to it into the hole Would it eventually get so fast that the radio signals, when leaving the radio, are going down instead of up or completely stopped?
Air resistance means that everything reaches a terminal velocity at some point.
If there's no air in there, it will still never reach light speed (because Einstein). But radio waves travel at light speed. The signal would be drawn out but it would never actually stop.

>If you got a car up to .50c and turned on the headlights would that light be going at 1.5c?
I hope you're just trying to be silly.
>>
>>46580868
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>46586566
>>If you got a car up to .50c and turned on the headlights would that light be going at 1.5c?
>I hope you're just trying to be silly.
Well let's wait until we have spacecraft that can go 0.001c with headlights before we start making assumptions :^)
>>
>>46586822
god damn you, headlight spacecraft technology.

I dunno if we'll ever figure that one out.
>>
>>46586822
>Well let's wait until we have spacecraft
But we already have that.
>>
>>46586059
up is a direction as well.
>>
>>46585918
Then I hope you brought infinite books.
>>
I play a druid, I'll be fine.
>>
>>46577661
>YFW in 10 years Homestarrunner will be but an ancient meme that fathers joke about around puzzled children
>>
>>46590318
It already is.
>>
>>46577904
The pit is six meters in diameter. Better hope that's a Goliath fighter.
>>
>>46580415
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnvR3ms6z4
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.