[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That GM thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: [screaming externally].gif (994 KB, 500x241) Image search: [Google]
[screaming externally].gif
994 KB, 500x241
This smartass son of a bitch was insane enough to give the crazy navigator PC (which had JUST replaced his previous dark eldar character) a halo device. He has a stronk lidless stare and insanity in the high 30's right off the bat.
>>
What a fucking faggot.
>>
That... is so stupid.
First of all, nobody should play a Navigator in Rogue Trader, since it's basically the most important role on the ship, and one bad roll can fuck up everyone, so it's best left to an npc Navigator who probably starts with better stats than a PC.
Second, I wouldn't let anyone but the most mature of players who really get into the lore surrounding Dark Eldar actually play one. It's a career and race most people would only pick to have an excuse to justify their LOLRandom Chaotic Evil actions.
Third... a fucking Halo artefact?! Is he insane?! I was a novice GM when I ran my first campaign of Rogue Trader, and even I wasn't daft enough to give one of the players a fucking Halo artefact. That's like playing Pathfinder and giving a 1st level PC a Deck-of-many-things.
In short... your GM is an idiot.
>>
File: Agreed.jpg (83 KB, 678x751) Image search: [Google]
Agreed.jpg
83 KB, 678x751
>>46558893
Wow, running Rogue Trader. Yeah, your GM sounds like an asshole all right.
>>
File: 1459855628890.png (134 KB, 372x334) Image search: [Google]
1459855628890.png
134 KB, 372x334
>>46559815
I'll throw one in since I normally like these threads

>Playing 5e
>lv 9
>friend of mine is dming
>doesn't know the rules that well but so far its been ok
>fight a goblin riding a hill giant
>wizard being played by my friend uses Geas on the giant (wisdom save mind control/5d10 damage)
>He doesn't even roll the save he just says "the goblin is holding a red crystal and it seems to glow as your spell fizzles"
>wizard asks if he can have the spell slot back
>dm says no
>shitfest ensues
>after about 10 minutes of arguing and the dm basically saying that the spell didn't work because he didn't want us to win like that we move on
>the giant drops some crates
>the ranger opens a crate and gets a normal crossbow sarcastically says "wow sick loot"
>the dm thinks he should be grateful since the crossbow does more damage than a bow
>doesn't realise multi attack isn't possible with crossbows
>warlock opens crate gets a rod of freezing
>It freezes people with no save
>MFW I try and execute the surviving goblin for justice he freezes my arm and I get no save so that he can torture the goblin instead of giving it a swift death
>Wizard doesn't get spells that are in the book but warlock gets a no save freeze

Since then we don't let the guy dm and we always say "What if they have red crystals" whenever he casts a spell
>>
>>46559970
the crystal thing would have been tolerable, if a bit railroady, but then he pulls the rest of the stuff and I get angry.
>>
>GM plays the "I'm the law, I'm GOD" card when he fucks up, comes up with bullshit, makes a mistake, doesn't know a rule, etc and doesn't want to acknowledge it
I love this, makes me leave the game a lot easier and I don't have to feel guilty
>>
>Oh, you didn't think to tell the town to evacuate before you went to wake up the story-essential being?

>Turns out he doesn't like the fact that a town was built around him while he slept and he has decided to burn everyone to the ground. Roll to see how many people you save.

No hints about this shit whatsoever.
>>
>>46561069
>GM doesn't tell you essential stuff PCs should know like how the world works, how their jobs/classes work, how stuff they faced hundreds of times work
>GM removes equipment from your inventary without telling so you now realize you have been walking in complete darkness inside this cave and that's why weak monster have been kicking your but for 2 hours and why Jimmy died
Etc
>>
>backstory says entire family is dead because I don't want to give the DM ammo for hamfisted `drama`
>a guy approaches my PC in a tavern in the ass end of nowhere while we're hunting a local necromancer
>'brother, it has been so long, how are yoAAAAAAGH'
>skeleton tears its way out of his body
I mean jesus fuck that's just lazy.
>>
>>46561184
Are you playing Shadow of the Demon Lord?
>>
File: 1457702997693.jpg (15 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1457702997693.jpg
15 KB, 300x250
>Be running 3.5
>GM is some autist that one of the players met through MTG
>Unusual obsession with Thor
>Knows precisely fuck all about the actual mythology
>Literally based on the Marvel character with a splash of Jesus
>World populated by chapels and clerics dedicated to Thor
>For some reason Thor is the patron god of elves
>Used the phrase "Thor dammit"
>mfw the entire night I had to put up with this bullshit

Thankfully he was kicked after sending a picture of his dick to the host's wife. Truly one of God's mistakes.
>>
>>46561184
I get that you're probably exaggerating, but this actually got a good laugh out of me as I imagine a random NPC not even finishing his sentence before going skele-mode.
>>
>>46561184

That sounds hilariously melodramatic.

>Yes, it is I, your long lost brother! Many years have I walked these lands, trying to find surviving family members! And now, with my secretly amassed fortune we can-
>Oh no, it's too late! The Necromancer's curse! I completely forgot! If only I hadn't contracted magical amnesia...
>>
>>46561184
>I don't want to give the DM ammo for hamfisted `drama`
Why not?
>>
File: Instant Angry.gif (621 KB, 440x247) Image search: [Google]
Instant Angry.gif
621 KB, 440x247
>>46561297

>Thankfully he was kicked after sending a picture of his dick to the host's wife.
>>
that player thread?

>player hands me a character sheet with no family, they're all dead. It's got edgy written all over it (literally)
>decide to have some fun with this.
>party is hunting a local necromancer
>assault the player with skeletons bursting out of the corpses of his family in the most comedic and non serious way possible
>just ham it up as much as possible
>everyone but him has a good time as his edgy character is rendered a comedic laughing stock.
>>
>>46561851
Shit like >>46561907 is why
But points for creativity
>>
>>46561297
None of what you said seems like a that dm thing except the dick pic.
>>
Was I that DM /tg/?

players are in a plane of existence that is currently on lockdown. Portals or gates or any sort of extra dimensional travel to or from the plane is impossible, with a few exceptions. The players know this, but they don't know all the exceptions.

One of the exceptions is everything related to bags of holding/portable holes, so that these items function. I didn't explicitly say this to the players, but their bags of holding and portable holes were functioning normally.

The players are in a situation where they want to hide. One player takes the portable hole and throws it on the ground in some underbrush. He's about to dive in, when I ask him if his bag of holding is on him. He says yes. I stall a bit, hoping he'll reconsider. He says to the other players that if shits about to get real, it's his fault, or something like that. He jumps in.

The whole portal to the astral plane thing happens, and the player and another player are caught in it. I allowed everyone a dexterity saving throw to try to escape, and those 2 failed. I didn't exactly kill them off, but I had them wake up in a strange temple where their two gods respectively informed them that they had intervened just this once, and their next death would be permanent.

I learned later that the player thought since extra planar travel was impossible, the portal to the astral plane wouldn't happen.

There are three areas I'm concerned about here: I didn't inform them enough of the consequences of their actions. Is this valid? I didn't reward creative thinking within the rules that I have laid down. Is this valid? I cheapened death by giving them that extra life. Is this valid?
>>
>>46562029

>I didn't inform them enough of the consequences of their actions. Is this valid?
I mean, they were operating by the rules you set down, you should have either made the warning more explicit to the players or reiterated that there are "some exceptions" to the whole interplanar thing.

>I didn't reward creative thinking within the rules that I have laid down.
Perhaps. I mean, they were operating by the rules interpretation they had, but if it really wouldn't have worked that way then they should have been corrected. I mean, players might have interpreted it badly, but characters might understand the setting better.
It's a frustrating thing, but the "Are you sure you want to do that?" question doesn't always work because other people can't always be expected to grasp exactly what's happening in another person's head.

>I cheapened death by giving them that extra life.
Well, you didn't punish them for their ignorance of the rules of reality, sent them off with a warning, and a better understanding of how the setting works. Consider following up on just what happened, an opportunity to explain what exactly happened and maybe explore the limitations of inter-planar travel just a bit. This would get your players more educated about how the world works and help to explain the explicable. You can turn messes into opportunities.
>>
>>46559970
Geas has a cast time of 1 minute
>>
File: 1435648577045.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1435648577045.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>We find out that the feywild is starting a massive invasion.
>Spend a month bulking up at the magical wizard city, and another month traveling to the capital
>Everyone is acting normally, like it's just business as usual
>Me: Wait. Didn't we tell them about the invasion? I have access to Sending. Fuck, we could have used a messenger bird of we really needed. What about super-important wizard NPC who knows all about it? Didn't HE tell the king?
>DM: Well none of you explicitly mentioned telling anyone, so...
>>
>>46561069
If you didn't warn anyone in the town you were about to wake up a lich or something undernieth it you deserved that. Come on, man, use your head
>>
>>46562169
> "The DM is supposed to be able to read my mind."
>>
>>46562169
>i didn't think to tell people about it.
>the dm should have thought that I would have thought to tell people about it.
>>
>>46559999
qads
>>
>>46562306
>>46562222
I mean sure, I can accept it being our failing to not tell anyone. It would be absolutely retarded for our characters to not inform anyone, but we forgot, and I can accept that.
But what about the other NPCs? There were at least 10 people who were physically present when we found out, plus Mr. Head Honcho wizard. You mean to tell me none of them mentioned even in passing that we're about to experience a large-scale invasion from another plane?
>>
>>46562306
>>46562222
I'd understand the DM letting them leave town without remembering to buy potions or something, that's on them, but this sounds like it was a major plot point of their campaign, the DM definitely remembered it, he should have at least dropped a few hints right? "You guys settle all your affairs in town?" "Get everything in order?" etc, at that point if they leave town its on them
>>
>>46562029
Wait, why did they die? Astral plane isn't that dangerous by itself.
>>
>>46562510
Because Explosion?

Anyways...
>Playing a pregen games day 4e bullshit.
>Is using a weapon with a I know has the High Crit Property because I actually play 4e.
>The High Crit Property isn't listed on the pregen sheet because Wizards has shit quality control.
>Is facing off against the pregens BBEG.
>DM plays the dude intelligently and we're in for a fight of our lives.
>Everyone else is at 0 or less and I'm 1 hit away from going down as well, but so is boss if I crit.
>Crit the boss, deals max damage and I go to roll my critical damage.
>Gets told that the weapon doesn't have High Crit by DM so I have to put the D12 down.
>Shows him in the PHB where it says it does.
>DM says that because it's not on the pregen shhet that the weapon doesn't have it.
>I drop the BBEG to 1 HP, but because I already used action point I cant attack again.
>Gets crit-killed by BBEG.
>ffs DM.
>>
>>46562510
Shit that's my fault. I thought it was a sort of thing where everything within that 10 foot radius was destroyed.

I blame that one engineer arrow picture.
>>
>>46562638
>>46562695
Nah, just a portal, it is deadly because most people willing to make the arrow are fighting things big enough that you can remove a deadly portion of their body with it.
>>
>if you go to 0 or less hp you don't get exp for the fight
>i'm the only melee character of the Group
Well thanks, it will be fun when everyone will be 2 levels ahead of me and no one will be able to sustain damage.
A little note, only me and another one of the Group know the rules, the rest of the player and the GM just read them at the moment (like we roll on the AC to see if a spell hit or miss becouse the GM din't bother go read how spell and throw saves works)
>>
>>46562306
>>46562456
The DM should have reminded the party that it was a thing, but I don't think he's automatically That DM for not.
Unless he was visibly happy with them having forgotten. THEN he's a shit.
>>
>>46562958
You and the other guy should try your hands at GMing.
>>
>>46559021
>First of all, nobody should play a Navigator in Rogue Trader, since it's basically the most important role on the ship, and one bad roll can fuck up everyone,

I played one once. Through an oversight on my part involving not knowing the rules (in general and navigation specifically) I did not take the skill they need (wish I could remember the name) so my chance to get us anywhere was very very slim. It was hilarious, we never got to where (or when) we wanted and we had to face all sorts of warp problems. My character saw it as the will of the Emperor guiding his hand to where they truly needed to be. And sometimes that's fused into the hull of a chaos warship. Good times.
>>
>>46562137
i should of specified more
what we did was stall the hill giant while the wizard cast geas hoping that if he could cast it we could get him to kill the goblin and walk away but the dm didn't like this because the fight was his set piece encounter so the red crystal thing happened and we had to fight
>>
>>46563123
Hey, i'm the guy that started GMing in the group and I get that it's not easy, aspecially for a first timer. But you have no justification for not learning the rules, at least the basic one
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.