[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here have any experience with the Madison, WI tabletop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: triggered.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
133 KB, 311x366
Anyone here have any experience with the Madison, WI tabletop gaming scene? I hear they are supposed to be really conservative. Not politically mind you, but just really safe and conformist. And unwelcoming to outsiders.
>>
Just go there with your trechcoat, 4chan shirt, and Anonymous mas, and you will be welcomed with friendly arms.
>>
>>46557614
What are they gonna do, stab you?
>>
I live in Madison, what do you want to know? Do you go to netherworld games?
>>
>>46558196
I have not. I have been to Pegasus games.
>>
>>46558196
I play mtg (edh) for the most part feel free to judge at netherworld on Thursdays, but I also frequent moxmania, powernine games, and misty mountain games nearbye. I've never felt unwelcome when I show up to play, although I do play one of the most 'casual' formats. Pegasus games (next to mox) is more for war games I believe, and d&d/pathfinder. As long as you don't act like an asshole, I'm sure you'd be accepted anywhere in the area easily.

>>46558241
Oooh. OK. have you heard of the new arcade near pegasus? I don't remember the name... have you been to moxmania across the street?
Powernine and netherworld are close to the capitol
>>
>>46557614

TTG is inherently a social thing, just either know your shit and don't sperg out, or better yet be positive and willing to lurk (aka listen and learn) and play their style of game.

Conformist and "unwelcoming to outsiders" just means they have a strong community with a comfortable zeitgeist that lets everyone have fun without causing drama.

If you act respectful and don't make waves you should be fine. Maybe you want to do things differently but build up some cred and wait to see if they are receptive to changing - once they know you are cool with playing their game people are usually willing to try new things but nobody wants something that works to be tweaked just for the hell of it or to accommodate someone that hasn't paid their dues yet.

If anything, you'll find like minded people and you can do your own thing on the side with them without disrupting the overall community.

Think of yourself as a houseguest or an immigrant. Contribute, don't rock the boat, and embrace or at the least be willing to participate in their game if you want to be accepted.
>>
File: map.jpg (62 KB, 1080x1401) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
62 KB, 1080x1401
>>46558241
1.moxmania (mostly MTG)
2. Pegasus (wargames, d&d/ pathfinder
3. Geek mania arcade (has tables for mtg, probably like 20 different arcade cabs, and I think wargames. Very new place, I don't think it will survive longer than this summer though. Won't make it through next winter)

Do you have any specific questions? I'll be on for another hour or so, I'll answer the best I can
>>
>>46558297

I have been to Powernine. Picked up Hanabi while I was there.
I have not been around Pegasus lately. I was going there for a while to do the Tuesday night gaming thing every week for a few months while I was new in Madison. I was also going to the monthly Saturday game at the Hawthorne library.

Haven't participating in anything in months. Wasn't really enjoying myself. It's... possible that I'm an asshole?
>>
>>46558412

Where's a good place to go for D&D aside from Pegasus?
>>
File: EDH.jpg (110 KB, 667x1176) Image search: [Google]
EDH.jpg
110 KB, 667x1176
>>46558425
I'm sure you're fine! If you ever play mtg (commander) at netherworld games Thursday nights, look for the 6'5 tall bald 20some year old with the urkel glasses, I'd be happy to play with ya
>>46558436
I wouldn't know, honestly. I'm new to d&d/pathfinder.

still learning the ropes and reading the manuals (for pathfinder). If you go to powernine games (across the street downtown from Jamba juice) I'm sure some of the dudes would know.
>>
>>46558480
Cool. Haven't played mtg in years.
>>
>>46557614
>And unwelcoming to outsiders.

That pretty much goes for any established tabletop group.
>>
File: mtg formats.jpg (56 KB, 315x960) Image search: [Google]
mtg formats.jpg
56 KB, 315x960
>>46558501
If you decide to try coming back to mtg, build a commander deck and show up Thursday around 630ish. Some of the guys there are powergamers, so don't expect to win! It's just nice to chat with like-minded people for a few hours while playing some casual mtg.
>>
>>46558504

Well, I know I go on about it a lot (because I have to let the people I meet here know about if I see them often enough) but I was actually living in South Korea for almost six years. All the gaming groups I've participated in there were really welcoming toward outsiders because everyone there was an outsider.

So... Yeah, it's just that I've had a lot of difficulty readjusting to life in the states and I'm having the reverse culture-shock blues.
Sorry to dump my personal shit on you like this, /tg/.
>>
>>46558530
if you can add modern as a sad pepe, then that picture is absolutely perfect
>>
>>46558530
I'd be happy to meet you!
>>46558564
We're all friends here, whether some of us like or or not. I'm sorry it's hard re-adjusting, feel free to talk about it more If you'd like, the differences seem interesting
>>
>>46558614
Oh my god I accidentally responded to myself. Fuck.
>>46558613
If I wasn't on mobile I would edit it in on ms paint for you haha. The picture for commander nails it
>>
>>46558614

Cool. I'll see about checking out Netherworld on Thursdays some time. Thanks.
>>
I cant help but feel like this is someone shilling for their store.
its just such an odd thread
>>
>>46558811
No problem!
>>46558904
What a convoluted way to shill
>>
>>46558904
>people not being vitrolic
welcome to /tg/ outside of the hell that is generals, enjoy your stay
>>
>>46558949
Yeah, just had a kinda shit day with some /tg/ related stuff, nothing deserving a storytime, just... frustrating.
Probs why this seems wierd at the moment.
>>
>>46559002
its alright, you get to loving this actually since its something rare on this site these days.
>>
>>46559032
Yeah figured as much, thanks mang
>>
>>46557614
Depends. Its insanely hit or miss with games outside of stores and i've actually had a tranny accuse me of rape for killing female npcs(bandits) and retaliating against her character after taking a swing at me for attacking the bandits.
Second time she just broke down and screamed rape at the top of her lungs till someone else in the building called the cops cause she refused to leave and manhandling it is a sure fire way to catch hell. thats the only real horror story for the most part. Whole town is pretty left and liberal leaning and i've found most will instantly dislike you if you're political, moral, or ideological compass doesn't match theres, as rare as those conversations are. Whole scene is a little different then other towns i've been too in that theres "regulars" in the vast minority who are always at the shops or have a poster up somewhere and "casuals" people who don't stick around for extended periods of time in the vast majority whether thats their college time up, summer breakers going home, they skip town for some reason, or just aren't that interested. "Regulars" i've noticed have the same air and opinion about "casuals" as "mlg-types" in videogames have of "casual players".
Theres somewhere between 40-50 faces in "regulars" and 10ish aren't great people to play with whether thats DnD or MTG pick your poison. I haven't visited the wargames tables so i can't comment there. Sadly like most everywhere else i've seen MTG players tend to be the worst.

Tl;dr don't talk politics(this is a rule for any table but here its a quick way to become a pariah to some rather than just disliked), small insular community that don't immediately like newcomers, theres like 2, maybe 3, shops open any given time, and posters, posters everywhere.
>>
>>46559622
>Things that happened:
>-Not this.
>>
>>46559695
I did make the mistake of taking up a poster advertised game and the location was a dorm room. It was honestly the most bizarre and intense moment of my life even with 6 other people backing me up. I swear the college element of this town is the worst even though its the lifeblood.
>>
>>46559622
>>46559723
See, in the short time I have been here I have noticed this a lot too. I haven't had anybody accuse me of rape or anything (but then again, I've been really depressed lately and shunning human contact because I regret coming back to this country.) But I've had to listen to coworkers and former friends carry on about their political beliefs and it's been... rather interesting. I've had to point out to a few people that white privilege is a really different thing in other countries (especially in Asian countries like Korea where whites are in fact a very tiny minority) and that I've been living abroad since immediately after graduating college (and a little bit as a kid, being an army brat and all) so my experiences are quite different.
I kind of wish I could associate more with the Asian community in Madison because I think I would relate to them better, but I think I can anticipate how that would look and how that would go over around here.

Anyway, I'm applying for jobs in Beijing, and then after that I'm planning on moving to Taiwan. So this may not be a problem for much longer. I'll just go back to Asia and play D&D in bars with Irish and Australian guys and their Korean girlfriends like I was before, and things will be fine.
>>
>>46559798
God speed anon and get out of this toxic town.
>>
File: pretension.jpg (12 KB, 242x180) Image search: [Google]
pretension.jpg
12 KB, 242x180
>>46557614
>unwelcoming to outsiders

To be fair, that's most tabletop gamers no matter where you go.
>>
>>46559847
Its more like immediate distrust to outright hate. They're the elite that have stayed in town to play for years while everyone else might be a college kid who will either get inundated with schoolwork or get bored and do something else within a weeks time so why invest time in them by bringing them in? I've seen an MTG player actually throw a newcomers deck out the door cause he actually asked to play with them. Like i said MTG players are the worst demographic in madison but thats the kind of insularity i'm talking about.
>>
>>46557614
You have been exhibiting excessive behavior. It's just sad.
>>
>>46557614
The MTG scene was alright. There were regular drafts, and if you attend them enough you'll probably run into someone whose built a cube. I know 2 people with cubes who started in Madison.

There's a board game club as well.

Can't speak to rpgs, I didn't start that until after I graduated.
>>
>>46558904
I used to live near Madison. Pegasus is a cool place.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.