[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I was thinking of doing some things with a few Outer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Nyarly.jpg (8 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
Nyarly.jpg
8 KB, 194x259
Hey /tg/, I was thinking of doing some things with a few Outer Gods and Great Old Ones. I'd like to try to get the best ones with the ability to think. Right now I got Nyarly, Hastur and Yog-Sothoth.

Some of it would involve slight character changes.

The idea is a campaign to establish that the Universe being cold and uncaring for even Eldritch Abominations. But do not fear, Nyarly will still be a prick.
>>
>>46557608
>Universe

Couple things in order Anon.

>The Outer Gods are not universal, they are mutliversal/omniversal and infinite

>Nyarlathotep is actually one of the most powerful of the Outer God after Yog-Sothoth and Azathoth, and in that order. As Nyarlathotep is an aspect of Azathoth.

>While the universe does not care about the Great Old Ones and the various lesser eldritch spawn due to being so far removed from the gods themselves, the universe absolutely cares about the duo Yog-Sothoth (who is beyond all and yet is all) and Azathoth.

Actually, the best way to think of Yog-Sothoth in your game of Yog-Sothoth is an apathetic catholic version of Yahweh or Krishna. All powerful, but unaligned and generally uninterested because he's omnipresent and everything is lesser than him. To catch his attention offers IMMENSE power, but also at the cost of sanity/reality given it's literally all of existence deciding to focus on your existence.

Nyarlathotep you seem down pat though. He's the trickster asshole cunt god who is like an invincible version of Loki. He is also fated to destroy Earth and all of humanity, but until that unknown time he trolls and tortures humans for fun.
>>
I have a hard time imagining Nyarly being caught out by the universe hating him, since the universe is his dad.
You do have to wonder what a Blind Idiot God gains from having someone who does nothing but interfere with things all day, though.
I think the problem you would run into would be that Outer Gods and the like don't really care that they're not cared for. Most of them would be 'in the know' and just exist to carry out their function, although comparing them to parts of a greater machine would be simplifying things.
Making them care means that they're vulnerable to conventional, human thought. Unless you WANT to destroy them with the Power of Friendship, I'd think long and hard about what exactly you want to do with all this.
>>46557822
Hinduism would be a good place to start actually, though rather than Krishna I'd suggest you look at concepts like the Trimurti, Harihara, Brahman and Indra's Net. Maybe I just have an anti-Krishna bias.
Their cosmology is vast, in a word. Would be a good place to gain inspiration from outside of Lovecraftian sources.

Would also recommend reading Gods of Pegana, I'd say that's approaching "the universe just doesn't give a shit about any of its agents" and was written by one of Lovecraft's own inspirations.
>>
>>46558101
I actually always wondered if Lovecraft was partly inspired by Hindu mythology, it seems unlikely given how little cultural exposure he would have had but still.

Also Azathoth is the personification of the big bang, he is not a sentient creature but rather a mass of primordial chaos creating and destroying to no goals or logic, kind of hard to see him being worried.

Hastur is a psychic being (as in has no physical form) and is the embodiment of death, decay and despair. So long as those concepts exist in the multiverse, he will continue existing and spreading them, same problem as wit Azathoth.

Lastly Yog-Soggoth/Sothoth is usually considered to be the space-time continuum. He perceives all possible universes and all pasts and presents simultaneously and can re-arrange and mess with them as he likes. Once again very little is likely to phase him.

Nyarlathotep is slightly different in being the most 'human' of these beings. There are a few theories about this, my personal favorite is the idea that cultists who try and contact Azathoth cannot comprehend the vast chaos if his being and so they reconcile it into something they can understand by projecting human qualities (like malevolence) onto it. As the mask of Nyarlathotep was used more frequently and his 'identity' became more established the psychic energy being used in the communications eventually caused him to gain a life of his own. Arguably he is the only being that may have a sense of self-preservation but there aren't many things dangerous enough to make it an issue.
>>
>>46560559
No, Lovecraft knows fuck-all about Hinduism due to extreme xenophobia. He ran away from brown people.

It's more likely that Yog-Sothoth was partially inspired by the Catholic version of Yahweh. Who in Catholicism is a more nebulous, spiritual vague omnipresent god compared to the Protestant bearded dude in the sky who totally isn't a solo Zeus.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>46557608
Darkest of hillside thickets general?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1aE48Gudc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6HKwOdGZg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0rVwjjfo4
>>
>No mention of Y'Golonac
>>
Cthuga mai waifu.
>>
>>46558101
>>46557822
>>46558101
>>46560559
Holy shit, my thread is still up.

Well, the general idea of the campaign was a meta story.

Where the Outer Gods found out about a man named Lovecraft.

>>46562631
I wouldn't touch him with a fifty foot pole
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 450x600
>>46562685
>>meta campaign
>>focus on the cosmic bbegs
Don't be a dumbass OP. Unless your PCs are playing as the Avengers and Nyarlathotep monologues when they fly to the moon to confront him and his Worm Laser, they'll literally never ever find out your epic plot.

Focus your efforts on the beginning of the campaign. Focus on having a good plot at the beginning. I see so many GMs posting here about the BBEG of their campaign before they run the first adventure. That's so stupid. People should be posting about the little bad evil guy, the shopkeeper who is taking hush money from the cult set up under the shop, the watchman who worships Vecna in secret, the little girl who makes a contract with a being from beyond the stars.

Having a complex backstory/endgame will only bog you down in the present, and prevent you from having a long running game.

Build small. Use your imagination to stay five steps ahead of your players in every direction.
>>
>>46562837
Well, they'd be playing as cultists.
>>
>>46562862
Is this meant to be a joke campaign? Like a one shot? Could be fun.

Otherwise...
>>
>>46562894
Yeah, I'm unsure about it. You guys think it could work?
>>
>>46562837
OP here, are you implying I can stop being a dumbass?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.