[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tactics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: TNT.jpg (38 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TNT.jpg
38 KB, 300x300
So I'll hopefully being playing some TNT (This is not a test) Soon, and I was wondering if there are any good books on battlefield tactics, maybe some generally geared towards board war-gaming in general?

Or, if you do not know about such books, maybe just some insight into general war gaming tactics.
>>
File: 1455155083945.jpg (236 KB, 1024x543) Image search: [Google]
1455155083945.jpg
236 KB, 1024x543
>>46555888

Anyone?
>>
File: WargameTatics.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WargameTatics.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46555888

Well I guess I just go an answer my own Question, so here you go me.
>>
File: WargamePickingArmy.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WargamePickingArmy.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46556430
>>
File: TNT Weapons Summary.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
TNT Weapons Summary.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46555888

Really?

No one on /tg/ wants to talk general wargame tactics, or talk about War-stories etc?
>>
File: image.jpg (218 KB, 610x874) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218 KB, 610x874
>>46557132
Nope, sorry bud.
Have this as a consolation prize.
>>
>>46557132
>>46557132
Isn't it one of those systems not properly associated with it's own setting/world?
Because they often seem to die quietly.

GMG did a reasonably good Fallout-y mini-campaign, but if the game's built for a narrative style, not having a setting associated with it does seem like a bit of a hindrance.
Even a weakly fluffed universe and a big fat disclaimer saying "you can also use your own setting" would be better.

Alternatively, if it does have a setting and I've forgotten, then I don't know why it's not been picked up by /tg.
>>
>>46557132
>No one on /tg/ wants to talk general wargame tactics

It's difficult to talk about in a general sense, because the different rules that govern the myriad games we play all have their quirks and differences.

What might be a valid tactic in one game will not work in the other, what might be a valid tactic in the real world might not work due to the limitations of the game mechanics, and what might not be a valid tactic in the real world might work in a miniature wargame.
>>
>>46561047
You see
>>46556430
>>
In a game such as TNT, one must approach the meta-tactic over the micro-tactic.

Suppose, for example, that you are fielding a Mutant army that favors fewer, more gooder models over your opponents' peacekeeper force. By choosing lawdogs, he is signalling a specific mindset. He is presenting a lovingly crafted force that operates according to established protocol, and will be looking for your force to do the opposite.

You must embrace the mutant. React as the mutant would react. Bait, flee, hide. And when the moment is right... You eat his leader.

And once the model rests safely in your heinous, malformed gut, your opponent will surrender in tears, assuring you dominance over the battlefield, and a tummy full of nummy.
>>
File: TNT papers.jpg (1 MB, 1495x2984) Image search: [Google]
TNT papers.jpg
1 MB, 1495x2984
>>46564006

There is actually an entire Cannibal faction in "This is Not a Test"
>>
>>46563795
That PDF assumes a certain number of things which aren't going to be true in games, which is kind of why it's hard to have a general discussion about it in a general sense. The section on Movement Distance, for instance, makes a lot of assumptions about the game you're playing - it wouldn't particularly be good advice for something like Infinity, or any other game where there's either the ability to activate models multiple times, or random activations of models, or random elements to movement.

The mechanics of the game simulate the physical reality of the game, and tactics are generally going to have to consider these (make-believe) physical laws to be useful. If your game allows you to pick targets, screening infantry isn't an effective tactic. If the game has rules about target priority, then the section on what you should target isn't that useful. I'm sure it's all very good advice for Warhammer 40k and WarmaHordes, but I'm fairly certain that somebody who plays skirmish games like Malifaux and Infinity are going to go "well, that's hardly any help at all"; hence, generic wargame tactics aren't easy to discuss.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.