[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with a TPK?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: sophisticated goblin.png (699 KB, 900x1155) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated goblin.png
699 KB, 900x1155
If you're running one long campaign, how do you deal with the death of all of your players? It doesn't always make sense that a villain would be willing to "take them alive"

But if you kill off the players do you handwave to rationalize the new party taking over where they left off? Or do you, by necessity, cut your losses and start over anew?
>>
Cut losses.

I will take some notes and do a different campaign then come back with a time skip with villain succeeding or stopped by someone else.
>>
File: 1265570778170.jpg (213 KB, 558x788) Image search: [Google]
1265570778170.jpg
213 KB, 558x788
If it's a fantasy setting you could have them continue the adventure in the afterlife or have them return as undead.
>>
Afterlife adventure given by something that has bigger plans for them.
>>
>>46548135
Usually we try to cut losses and start over anew, but generally having to go through Character gen and the intro to an adventure again totally kills any interest in playing a game, so we'll wind up watching TV or playing vidya or something.
>>
>>46548135

I can't trust my players not to metagame. It's pathological with these arseholes. If there's a TPK then whether I continue the campaign with a new party or start a completely new campaign depends largely on whether my players have learned anything in-game that they could abuse with a new character.
>>
>>46548135
I run multiple converging campaigns. Players don't know it yet,but they are just looking at another side of the same plot. 4 sides for 3TPK so far.
>>
>>46548251
This.
Don't underestimate the fun of fighting your way out of hell, those demons have stats for a reason you know.
>>
>>46548135
Death shows up and angrily states they're early.

He sends them back to the mortal world, but in exchange they have to go collect x number of souls that Death couldn't get to because he wasted his time on the party's early demise.

Do a quest for death, basically.
>>
>>46549564
based on the setting this could be really fun, expecially if the party is made up of boyscout-type characters.

i might actually use that as a backup plan one day. thanks anon.
>>
>>46549635
Go watch the Twilight Zone episode Nothing in the Dark for the general concept.
>>
>>46548135
>the death of all of your players
> kill off the players
Played Brazilian rules once.
Never again!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.