[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oi how would you improve SW universe? Aesthetics, fluff, mechanics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 1460135918074.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
1460135918074.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
Oi how would you improve SW universe?

Aesthetics, fluff, mechanics. Pitch!
>>
>>46545616
Any discernable tech advances in the thousands of years of the timeline.

The Me 262 and He 51 were introduced less than a decade apart, but they're still using the same shitty X-wings in TFA?
>>
>>46545733
Junk Disney's recent horseshit, bring the classic EU to the forefront
Have FFG do sourcebooks like WEG did for certain periods in the setting, like Tales of the Jedi/KOTOR, the years post ROTJ, etc
>>
>>46545616

Not knowing much about the RPG system, WEG or FFG, I can't speak much for mechanics, though people do get incredibly butthurt about having to use FFG dice, though there are conversion tables for regular dice results.

That said, for fluff I'd just chop anything before A New Hope, and amputate a whole lot of the festering Legends canon. Lucas himself seems to have completely broken every rule from FFG's style guide for Star Wars (which is good advice for fucking every setting) when he went and made the prequels, and it's painful; wrapped up in the grandioseness of its own franchise. Rogue One might be an exception to this, but I'd have to wait and see if it's even possible for a Star Wars prequel to be pretty good.

>>46545760

>Junk Disney's recent horseshit, bring the classic EU to the forefront

I suppose it's as much a matter of opinion as anything else, but there's shit like Crystal Star and Jedi Prince jammed up in the EU, with a whole lot of other shit. The WEG styleguide was actually created almost as a reaction to what was the forefront of what "classic EU" dredged up.

I agree with you on one thing, though, Tales of the Jedi would be pretty fucking amazing as a period of the setting.
>>
Remove and all attempts at hard science from it and separate kid friendly and adult friendly into two section.

Remove any and all attempts at moral grey and ban anyone who owns a fedora from being able to publish anything.
>>
>>46545811
By "the classic EU" I mean the good stuff, naturally.
Having official statlines for playable Noghri would be the fucking bomb.
>>
>>46545733
They're not the same shitty X-wings though. They're T-70s, while the originals are T-65s. And there are actually T-80s that are used by the real military.
The problem with TFA is that there's way too much information that's in the companion media and not actually in the movie itself.
>>
>>46545616
Make Jar-Jar Binks an actual Sith Lord.

That is the only way to make the series great again.
>>
>>46545854
>remove any attempt at hard science
Then we axe the X-Wing novels in favour of bullshit like the Starkiller Base.
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>46545616
Make Jedi rare and stop everyone sucking their dicks.
>>
>>46545854

>Remove any and all attempts at moral grey and ban anyone who owns a fedora from being able to publish anything.

I can actually agree with this. Star Wars as a space fantasy setting has a pretty clear divide between good and evil. You can argue that there's obviously moral greys realistically but this is a setting with swords made of light, hippie mysticism that's actually correct, and FTL, realism was airlocked in this setting a long, long time ago. The divide should be stark and simple, and while there is the very real possibility of temptation, it's still across those lines.

>>46545905

Also this.
>>
>>46545733
>The Me 262 and He 51 were introduced less than a decade apart, but they're still using the same shitty X-wings in TFA?

There is a big difference between the T65 and T70 Xwing, but yes even T70s are considered out dated ships by TFA.

The only reason we see them at all is because they are antiquated designs that the New Republic gave to resistance fighters.
Think of it like how we gave friendly nations our old, retired fighters following world war 2 and during the cold war.
>>
>>46545733
Think of the T-65 X-Wing as a P-51 Mustang. The T-70 X-Wing from Force Awakens is an F-86 Sabre. The T-85, mentioned in side material but not appearing, is a F-100 Super Sabre
>>
>>46545894
Star wars is shit when filtered in hard science.

The only reason, according to the science given in the eu, that stops people from killing star systems with hyperactive seek and destroy cheap add ships is because no one wants or can hack navicomputers. This navicomputers have been used for tens of thousands of years and this is apparently still true.
>>
>>46545964
It's more like an F-86A to an F-86D, imo.
>>
>>46545964
Where is the Mig-15 or 17 on the F/O's side to fuck everything up?
>>
>>46545994
That and intentionally hyperdriving suicide ships into a planet is a fucking war crime on par with Alderaan.
>>
File: 1458323479103.jpg (103 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1458323479103.jpg
103 KB, 1024x768
Any good SW novels? I mean good, not average.
>>
>>46546157

I'd recommend the books by Timothy Zahn. Truce at Bakura I liked a lot as well.

Keep in mind these are matters of taste and opinion, so make of those books what you will.
>>
>>46546073
Little know fact: making the jump to hyperdrive and returning to real space has no conservation of momentum.

So when you drop out of hyperspace your relative speed is about how fast you were when you entered. This is why sub-light drives are so important, also why you can't crash into shit at 0.1c and fuck everything up.

Massive bodies also still have an effect on ships in hyperspace because the Interdictor can pull them out of hyperspace with a gravity well and this does minimal if any real damage to the ship because they never built momentum in hyperspace (otherwise they would explode spectacularly because they never decelerated before enter real space).
>>
>>46546230
ok
>>
>>46546157
all the X-Wing novels
Shatterpoint
All the Zahn
Plagueis
ROTS novelization
Shadows of the Empire
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
>>
>>46546267
The eu has someone us a ship to blow up a sun, making you a fucking liar.
>>
>>46545994
Ships can't do that because hyperdrives only work in close to zero gravity. Once they start entering the gravitational influence of large bodies or ships with gravity well projectors, they get pulled back out of hyperspace.
You could never fly a ship into a planet using a hyperdrive because you'd just drop out of hyperspace before getting anywhere close to the actual surface.
>>
>>46546581
Or--bear with me--the EU is at times poorly written.

Like that one time Superman violated pretty much all of physics by near-instantaneously flying 25 light years to get to Jimmy Olsen, after somehow hearing his emergency signal watch all the way back Earth despite the vacuum and distance.
>>
>>46546920
Then you have to go and have people vote on every piece of eu material, which no one will listen to because no people have the same exact opinion.
>>
>>46546963
>>46545869
This is why, as much good as there was in the EU, Disney could never make it canon moving forward. It would be a nightmare trying to untangle all this shit and make a coherent future timeline. Half the EU was fucking stupid. We had bug aliens then dinosaur soul eating aliens then warrior aliens and then force abominations attacking the galaxy all within like 30 years of each other, and everything important happened to the same group of people. The new EU has stupid shit, but so did the old EU. There's no winning, bad authors will be bad authors.
>>
>>46545616
>Aesthetics

Keep it as it is. I like the whole rugged practicality of things, especially with weapons that are just modified WW2 guns.

>fluff

I like to keep it fairly close to the movies. Maybe add a bit more depth to the war with the Empire and the Rebellion, with more battles and so on.

>mechanics

A decent wargame in the style of Bolt Action would be nice.
>>
>>46546963
There was actually a well-defined scale of canon with Lucas-speak at the tippy top and fanon at the very, very bottom, so it's actually not hard to find what is "canon". Whenever two sources conflict, the one that is higher up is canon and the other one is not.
>>
>>46546581
>crashing a ship into a star
>blowing that star up

That's not how it works you retard, and that never happened in the EU either. There was once a horrible Hyperspace accident where a republic ship pile drived a planet coming out of hyperspace, but the circumstances are unknown.
>>
>>46545926

For once I agree, people want to shove "INTRIGUE! NO SUCH THING AS GOOD AND EVIL" into everything, how about we stop that for once? We don't need baby killing rebel members who fights for freedom, if I want that I would play Far Cry 4
>>
>>46545926
Id argue theres room for grey individuals like Han Solo when we first meet him.

But there should also be clearly defined Heroes and Villans.
>>
>>46547060
It may not be right to ENTIRELY eliminate gray morality; >>46547137 is right in saying that there are still shady people like Solo and the many Bounty Hunters in the galaxy.
However, anything even remotely concerning the Force should be polarized between Light and Dark.
>>
>>46547251
>anything even remotely concerning the Force should be polarized between Light and Dark.
But muh gray jedi. I think there's room for both baby killers and Jack Sparrows in Star Wars.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.