[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Dark Side stronger?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10
Is the Dark Side stronger?
>>
Depends on the system.
>>
>>46542070
Quicker, easier, more seductive etc. but possessing a similar level of maximum capability in terms of power, while the Light Side also offers greater bonuses to one's mind outside the manipulation of the Force.

All that being said, the strongest Force users are the ones who find use of both, without falling to either.
>>
>>46542070
>inb4 Yoda quote

Remember pic related happened!
>>
bu..but they can shoot lightning
>>
>>46542109
>without falling to either

How the hell could you "fall" to the Light Side, fampai?
>>
>>46542102
>Depends on the system.
Then discuss OP lore wise
>>
>>46542137
Ask Kylo Ren once Episode IX comes out.
>>
>>46542070
No, only stronger in your mind
>>
>>46542161
Please don't hate me for this, but I think we should focus on the EU in this thread.

Disney's canon is still young and can't offer so much information about many things (yet).
>>
>Rey
>G-rey Jedi.
>>
>>46542194
>No, only stronger in your mind

But Yoda said you have to believe in yourself to, for example, pull a ship out of a swamp.

Then it's all about "mind stuff", isn't it?
If the Dark Side stronger in the mind, then it's stronger in any way.
>>
>>46542137
Does anyone ever want to master themselves and practice the Light Side?

If so, then the Light Side offers temptation. Far less of it, to be sure, but you don't exactly become a Jedi by not wanting to be a Jedi.
>>
File: 1459686214745.png (315 KB, 564x354) Image search: [Google]
1459686214745.png
315 KB, 564x354
>>46542244
>He doesn't know that originally her name was Rey Mixer

I'm not even joking here, bub.
>>
>>46542260
>dat logic

Indeed you are powerful as yoda has forseen
>>
>>46542260
Dark side is easier. Not stronger.
>>
>>46542285
>shonen protagonist born to Sith parents
>they try to teach him how to use force lightning to accomplish anything he wants
>but all the kid wants is to do things the hard way
>they try to teach him about being a brooding loner
>but he keeps telling them about the so called power of friendship

Got any parenting advice?
>>
>>46542137
The now dead EU says that being one extreme or the other is "bad" in the same way as having "let all criminals run free" or "kill all criminals" as your only options is "bad". When it comes to the force extremes of either sort is bad in that it creates an imbalance in the universe hence why the sith got powerful and died off and the jedi got powerful and died off. being a Grey knight is arguably the best way to go but also the hardest path to follow as it require every bit of you from body, soul, and force to be in tune with each other but at the end of the day its insight will basically tell you people of your power level should be far and away from society or literally anything to prevent the imbalances you and other force sensitives make just by existing like a magnet passing through iron shavings will whether that magnet has 2 poles or one of either flavor doesn't matter its just a monkey wrench in the system.
But now thats gone and jedi are good guys and the only right path cause good and sith is wrong cause thats evil and therefore bad.
>>
Dark side is more flashy, more impressive, more tempting. Cooler, even. But in the end, dark side always leads to loneliness, suffering, pain and loss. Followers of the Dark Side are always doomed to suffer the same violent end, cut down either by their enemies or their own apprentices - this is how it always worked. Self-destruction is simply inherent to the Dark Side.
>>
To make this /tg/ related, one of the old D20 Star Wars RPGs had Dark Side use ramp up relatively fast, starting at a 2d6 bonus to a 1d20 roll compared to 1d6 for the Light Side. By mid levels they were about even, and by 20, The Light Side was something like 3-4 dice higher then the Dark Side's hard cap at 5d6.
>>
>>46542285
So it's basically the old Right Hand Path / Left Hand Path problem.

If you say that the LHP is about selfishness, egoism, then the "good guys" of RHP are just as selfish as the other team, because any kind of magic is egoistic - even if you practice magic for "the greater good" or God or whatever, it's inherently selfish.
You cause change - YOU!

So yeah: using the Light Side in Star Wars is just as addictive and selfish as the Dark Side.
Wanting peace and justice is still "wanting".
>>
>>46542161
Is there a word for when someone's such a loser they come out the other side as kind of a cool character? Because I need that word to describe Kylo Ren with. He's written like a parody of and slap to the face to everyone who nostalgia'd over the original trilogy-and I love it.
>>
>>46542376
So what you're saying is kylo ren is a munchkin and he'll go light side when it starts to give him a mechanical advantage?
>>
>>46542338
Cut off his limbs, burn his body, and make him the laughing stock of the galaxy by posting embarassing shit on the galactanet. He'll come around soon after.
>>
>>46542070
Generally it's the light side of duct tape that's useful.
Yes, the dark side has a purpose, but you would never buy tape with two dark sides, whereas tape with two light sides exists.
>>
>>46542383
Indeed, it is through this that becoming a true user of the Force is not through training or will, but rather the acceptance of futility in their own beliefs. One cannot choose to become a harbinger of balance, one must be chosen and broken into it.
>>
File: cbxddztr.jpg (33 KB, 564x351) Image search: [Google]
cbxddztr.jpg
33 KB, 564x351
>>46542356
>The now dead EU
>>
>>46542070
In purely martial terms I think so. A Jedi and Sith of equal power fighting slightly favors the Sith.
Jedi have superior breadth of out of combat powers including divination and control, Sith have superior martial and mind powers.

Also as a reminder, majority of Jedi Order were shit tier force user pacifists used as impartial mediators, diplomats and philosophers. All Sith are brutal motherfuckers because they kill everyone who isn't a brutal motherfucker. You generally have about equal amounts of powerful active Sith/Jedi.
>>
>>46542471
Its dead as far as any publishing beyond this point is concernd. If we ever see games, books, comics, anything thats making money it now has to use disneys warped uni where they only "mention" events by calling out the cool bits from EU essentially ressurecting a corpse but, unlike godfearing necromancers, they only ressurect the "head" or main subject via naming a person or event but not the "body or limbs" by still keeping all events leading up to that name and from that name dead.
Basically if the show names it its confirmed for having existed but not the shit that caused it to exist nor the important shit beyond its existing.
Its so they can keep the "cool" bits but prune everything else that way its uncomplicated and easy to understand for today's youth.
Tl;dr disney is just selling organs from EU's corpse to the highest bidder.
>>
It isn't the dark side of the force, it's the dark side of you, as you get drunk on power, become an asshole, fuck shit up, and suffer the consequences.

And you're not supposed to balance light and dark. Balance is the light side, lack of it the dark.
>>
No. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
>>
>>46542070
i really hoped that new sith guy would actually have more personality then whiny bitch, it could have been really cool to see a sith constantly tempted by the light side.

like he sometimes tries to help fallen troopers. or gives a coin to some street orphan, then later he is angry with himself that he did these acts.

and meditates to stop the influence of the light side.
>>
File: xfhdz4r64.gif (978 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
xfhdz4r64.gif
978 KB, 500x309
>>46542616
I know, Anon...
I know...
>>
>>46542632
>The Dark Side is a lack of balance
>Large amount of Jedi and few Sith
>Chosen one is to bring balance to the force
>Chosen one forces the death of most Jedi

No, the Jedi are contributing just as much to imbalance as the Sith, the latter are just hypocritical and bear a great deal of hubris over their way.
>>
>>46542632
>It isn't the dark side of the force, it's the dark side of you
>Balance is the light side, lack of it the dark.

Ah, I remember when these theories were still a thing.
Then Lucas decided that there is literally a "Light" and a "Dark" side of the Force... so the Force is not a single substance, but a combination of the Light Side + Dark Side.

Bullshit.
>>
File: mods.jpg (61 KB, 1213x182) Image search: [Google]
mods.jpg
61 KB, 1213x182
>>46542158
>Then discuss OP lore wise

That's against the rules.
>>
>>46542298
>I'm not even joking here, bub.
Nah, just straight-up lyin'
>>
>>46542899
>That's against the rules.

Ok, then talk about the crunch.
Any SW related crunch.
>>
File: 1439191044983.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1087) Image search: [Google]
1439191044983.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1087
>>46542454
>but you would never buy tape with two dark sides,
>>
File: fhdhzd4.jpg (469 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
fhdhzd4.jpg
469 KB, 1280x1707
>>46542952
You're welcome.
>>
>>46542534
>All Sith are brutal motherfuckers
Except for a certain faggot from a recent movie.
>>
>>46542899
I want to run a SW game and I need some information about the Dark Side / power levels.
Please don't bully - or delete this thread - I need those infos!
>>
>>46543051
I know in Force and Destiny, you have a 'morality level' that determines whether you fall to the dark side or not. The whole mechanic is handled pretty poorly.
>>
If the dark side is fueled by emotion, why not positive emotions as well? Why are the with always brooding edge masters, it's perfectly possible there could be a 'high on life' kind of sith. Emotions like passion, joy, wonderment, curiosity, love....
>>
If we are talking about D&D/D20 wars then yes because almost all offensive spells like force lightning are dark side.
>>
>>46543208
Theres been several. The issue would be sith tend to turn to bad apples as they progress as the "worse" an emotion is the more power they get from nurturing it.
Maybe a force user just wants to feel happy 24/7. Then they start to slowly slide from doing various activities to possibly drugs or "lesser" or "baser" things like illegal gambling or cage fights or literally anything. Dark side just seems to have a way of turning little things into progressively worse and bigger things over time and you get addicted to it.
I guess its analogous to the path of gateway drugs to hardcore drugs and you don't care about the damage it does cause its just so good you want more.
>>
Sith are edgy teenager hedonists. Jedi are retarded no fun allowed stoics.

The actual light and dark don't really care if and how you use them, they simply are.

Passionate, kind light side force users when?

Evil stoics trying to impose their bullshit on everyone else with the darkside when?
>>
Wasnt it all like Light side is sort of only real force side, while Dark side is the corruption of Force overall and the only way balance may be preserved is by REMOVING Dark side?
>>
>>46543210
>If we are talking about D&D/D20 wars then yes because almost all offensive spells like force lightning are dark side.

That's what I'm talking about.
The Dark Side is clearly offensive, while the Light Side is (mostly) defensive.

You can't even make up rules that could balance this.
>>
>>46543364
>Wasnt it all like Light side is sort of only real force side, while Dark side is the corruption of Force overall and the only way balance may be preserved is by REMOVING Dark side?

See this:
>>46542771

It was a good idea and a very popular headcanon, but Lucas killed it with his "muh dualism" shit.
>>
>>46543393
I lold, dualism. Really. Fuck you Lucas. So to balance shit up there must ALWAYS be presented Sith Empire and Republic with jedi on its side and NEVER-ENDING WAR. Cute. Well fuck balance then.
>>
>>46543334
>Evil stoics trying to impose their bullshit on everyone else.

KotOR 2.
>>
>>46543493
Only way for balance in that path is Grey jedi. Perfect balance between dark and light but the issue is you're above average level by virtue of your force connection and your mere presence fucks with shit so the only way to be true neutral is to fuck off to a planet that is:
A. Not going to matter ever.
B. Far enough away that your power level isn't going to touch people which is an issue depending on how powerful you are.
At this point its like why even have you exist in the first place making your whole existence a moot point once you learn the truth.
>>
>>46543493
Well, this dualism shit might help one to create a decent magic system for SW.
It's like having Arcane and Elemental magic, really (also the Force is Mana).
>>
>>46543527
>>46543334
Actually, now that I think about it the passionate light side gets represented too, depending on how you play the Exile. That game makes some solid commentary about the light and dark sides, primarily because the main writer thought Lucas's duality ideas were shit.
>>
>>46542356
Kreia was right to try and kill the force.
>>
>>46542356
Good. Because that interpretation of yin/yang is, has always been, and will always be, fucking stupid.
>>
>>46543886
Yeah, yin / yang is not good / evil.

SW's metaphysics is dumb as fuck, if you think about it (and I'm saying this as a fan).
>>
>>46542070
The dark side of the force is a gateway for abilities some would consider unnatural...
>>
File: B5B4d-SCMAAEpzK.jpg (19 KB, 600x254) Image search: [Google]
B5B4d-SCMAAEpzK.jpg
19 KB, 600x254
>>46544044
>session starts
>Anon plays a Sith Lord
>first enemy encounter
>"I use Force Lighting!"
>GM: "Ok, roll!"
>"I don't need to. My Force powers are obviously stronger."
>"That's not how it works, dude."
>Anon gives a look like pic related
>>
>>46543572
Why would their presence fuck shit up? Define "fucking shit up"
>>
>>46544536
Okay. Lets assume the universe is some crazy machine like a hard drive for example. Each person is either a 1 or 0. Jedi are like a giant magnet of varying power who's mere presence can change those 0's and 1's to 0,1,2, and sometimes spawn more magnets via their messing with fate or reproducing.
Their whole presence bends the destiny of everything around them into a new form and enough of them doing this can basically set the universe into a stare of unknowable chaos which is inherently unbalanced and then the universe has to do shit to fix things. This is why a jedi "hero" pops up to slap down the new sith and his apprentice every so often or why a new sith pops up to slap down a jedi master and his apprentice every so often. This is why jedi and sith are both technically bad as they are extremes of the yin and yang and the whole idea behind yin and yang is too much of one is bad and in one is the other so the best bet is for it to be wholly balanced so the cosmic scales never tip one way or the other.
Its some shit lucas made up to keep shit going rather than let it be the typical Hero's Journey like it was originally.
>>
>>46542690

But thats exactly what hed does in the movie

except give orphans coins
>>
>>46542070
Neither side offers more power than the other.

How to get to that power, however, is different for each side.
>>
>>46542109
>>46542356

>Using Both

Why do you retards persist with this delusion?

There is no "Light Side" of the Force. There is The Force and The Dark Side. The latter is a corruption of the former and an inherent imbalance in the Force. Tapping into the Dark Side is Evil and a Bad Thing.

Fuck Abrams for making the "Light" a thing.
>>
>>46542771
Lucas said the exact OPPOSITE of that Retard.
>>
>>46544779
I don't recall anything like that. I recall he acted like a decent person part of the time but only to further his goals. He also meditated on his perceived weakness a lot as well but that weakness wasn't nicety but his perceived weakness in comparison to vaders strength and ideological scope.
>>
>>46544917
Correction. Fuck Lucas for making it a thing. He literally came up with the idea and okayed it on everything from books to movies. New lore is The Force is the universal energy that contains both good and bad just like the yinyang symbol contains dark and light. Jedi dip into the "yang" side and sith into the "yin" side. Thats bad cause the whole point of that power is balance.
Sorry you hate it but between lucas okaying that shit for merch and disney raping its corpse thats just how things are now. Hell, half the EU depends on that shit to explain why crap keeps happening.
>>
>>46544954
Before he did. After a bit though he changed it to the way it is now for games, comics, books, and movies to make the lore easier for idiots and to explain why this cosmic shitstorm isn't loosing power.
>>
>>46544954
Dear /r/edditor, please see this >>46545172
Glad I could help! ;P
>>
The dark side is easier because it involves letting yourself be ruled by your emotions and riding the wave wherever it takes you rather than directing the current. Yeah, you're a powerful badass, but ultimately you're nothing but a tool of your own primitive impulses.

The Force takes training and study because understanding and overcoming your emotions is not easy, but ultimately it's more rewarding and gives you more freedom to act.
>>
Luke brought balance to the force by acheiving it in himself, not the universe around him. He didn't deny his emotions and humanity like previous Jedi did, like when he went back to Bespin for his friends, but he also didn't give in to his rage against Vader. Jedi and Sith both are extremists who lose something of themselves
>>
>>46542899

Who was this retarded fucktard of a mod?
>>
>>46542070
Yep, but it comes with a greater cost to the practitioner and those around them. Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis both offered pretty good explanations of this in slightly different ways. Bane mostly spoke of the physical toll that prolonged use of the Dark Side had exacted from him. In the same way that professional athletes begin to suffer from permanent damage to their muscles, bones, and joints, the strain of channeling the Dark Side was killing him.
Plagueis spoke of the costs as a form of cause and effect, that any being strong in the Dark Side could force their will upon the Force using the Dark Side, but that in return the Force would exact a price from them. Most commonly this price was the degrading of the body and early decrepitude however it could also take the form of unexpected change as the Force attempted to maintain balance.

The Jedi attempt to remain in synch with the Force as much as possible, thus drawing from its power doesn't require as much expenditure of effort or exact as much of a toll on them. In return however the amount of power that any one Jedi can draw from the force is not as much, and they are susceptible to the influence of those who can manipulate the force on the grand scale (IE: Plagueis and Sidious)
>>
>>46542109
>All that being said, the strongest Force users are the ones who find use of both, without falling to either.

If we're forced to accept a Canon where there's both GOOD and BAD in a very strict moral sense within the force then I'm okay with accepting this notion.

I honestly really love narrative stuff like this where both GOOD and BAD can come together as a stronger force than either of their separate parts.
>>
>One teaches the the proper techniques of safety and efficiency of shotgun use. It slowly rewards you with better and better shotguns as you develop a proper respect for the weapon.
>The other is pile of unsupervised shotguns. They come in all varieties, all of questionable origin and quality. However they are free.
These paths will attract very different types of people. Many start out on the slow path but get tired and just want their shotguns right fucking now.
I mean, fuck, that's a lot of work for a shotgun, I don't have time for that shit.
>>
Yes.

The Dark Side of diversity casting, absentee artists, and the allure of nostalgic dupes all too willing to part with their money. It is the path of least resistance; the path of "strong female characters" whose strength comes not from interesting or compelling characterization, but rather a brutish physical superiority to those surrounding them; the path of truncated attention spans that can only be roused by, say, Captain Kirk doing motocross instead of discussing the viability of tactical or scientific options with his peers; the path of ignorance, hatred, and easy, easy money.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.