[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does magic potion taste like /tg/? Also fantasy food general.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 19
File: potion-ffxii.jpg (32 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
potion-ffxii.jpg
32 KB, 450x250
What does magic potion taste like /tg/?
Also fantasy food general.
>>
>>46541024
Depends on the potion.

Honestly I just imagine they taste like medicine. They're potions, they're not fucking soft drinks.
>>
>>46541024
Bad enough to scare the death out of you.
>>
>>46541024
I imagine them being quite thick in consistency. Gloopy and they sort of stick to the back of your throat.
>>
File: GL721203.jpg (51 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
GL721203.jpg
51 KB, 615x409
I always assumed it tasted like Calpol, just a harsh chemical taste suspended in syrup to make it palatable.
>>
>>46541024
It tastes like semen
Well that's what my dm tells me at least
>>
>>46541106
best answer
>>
File: vintage-medical-photos3.png (317 KB, 650x794) Image search: [Google]
vintage-medical-photos3.png
317 KB, 650x794
Kinda warm and glowy.
>>
Probably like fernet branca and other bitter herbal liquors. This because such spirits contain tons of herbs like potions and potions would contain probably quite high amount of alcohol to keep them from spoiling.
>>
>>46541024
semen with a hint of pineapple
>>
>>46541217
nope, buttercup syrup
>>
>>46541297
Would all adventurer food and drink have some kind of preservatives in them then?
How would this change the taste?
What are the best kinds of food for a long adventure?
>>
>>46541422
>preservatives
It's called "alcohol, drying and smoking", you fuckwit.
>>
>>46541441
Which preserve the food...
>>
>>46541441
Don't forget the best preservative - salt!
pack anything in salt and it'll last.
>>
>>46541441
Preservatives don't have to mean chemicals, moron.
>>
>>46541422
Salt, smoke and spices, just like camping
>>
>>46541480
And yet, we both know that's exactly what he meant.
>>
File: DOTS.png (266 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DOTS.png
266 KB, 400x300
>>46541024
>How does magic work?
>Why is necromancy evil?
>Can a paladin do drugs and not fall?
>What happens if an object is enchanted twice?
>What do elves think of slavery?
>Do female dwarves have beards?
>Can a demon ever turn good, and if so, is it still a demon?
>What you you call a half-orc-half-elf?
>Do elementals have souls?
>How do you kill a vampire?
>What do healing potions taste like?
>How many legs does a dragon have?
If you give an answer, you literally do not understand the concept of fiction. You think anime is real.
>>
>>46541652
That's the lasiest answer. The best answer would be answering it for your preferred or known settings. Otherwise you're just taking up space and contributing nothing. Fucking everybody knows it depends on the setting, but if we never had setting dependent questions more than half of the actual discussion on /tg/ would be gone and we would be left with quest threads, generals, filename threads, and thatgm or thatguy threads. Aka stuff that is generally less good than the stuff you're trying to get rid of. Fuck off you fagboi
>>
>>46541708
Is it lazier than starting a thread without the THREE WORDS that make all the difference?

"What do healing potions taste like?"
vs.
"What do healing potions taste like in your setting?"

Three words. That's all you need.
>>
>>46541495
You know I don't think I did.
I was thinking of things like the sugar in American bread.
>>
>>46541792
Are you so autistic that you need that sort of clarification to answer in a good way?
>>
>>46541228
How does semen taste?
>>
>>46541792
Why not just respond with:-
"In my setting they taste like ..."
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 766x960
>>46541831
Well after the 70th time we made this exact thread, you start to just repeat yourself constantly, and it just turns into meaningless shitposting, but I guess that's just how things work, as insanely depressing as that sounds.
>>
>>46541024
Chicken
>>
>>46541902
>Well after the 70th time we made this exact thread, you start to just repeat yourself constantly...

If you're bored with the topic being discussed within the thread then don't post. It's simple really.
>>
>>46541936
Fair enough
>>
In my homebrew, potions have noticeable good flavors and are even often as food substitutes when cooking

Health potion tastes like strawberries, mana potion like mint, there are electricity potions that taste like lemon and the fire potions taste like cinnamon. A drop or two of one of these potions for a stew is harmless and a good substitute when the real thing is not available. The exception, of course, is the poison potions, which taste horribly
>>
>>46541792
Nah fuck you

In these kinds of threads it is implied that there won't be a single answer and that what OP is looking for is everyone's opinions and settings to see some original ideas and have a nice chat

You absolute autististic fuck
>>
>>46541024
Like a combination of their ingredients.

So it really depends on the potion, recipe, and skill of the creator. I've seen some masters ferment their Potions of Insight into a fine scotch or brandy, or infuse them into flamable papers and herbs and roll their healing potions into cigars. And I've seen primitive witch doctors throw a bear's testicle into a pot of Hill Giant urine and call it a potion of strength.

Potion making is as much an exercise in cooking as it is an alchemical formula or magical ritual. As such, it is the highest form of artistic expression.
>>
>>46541024
cough syrup, the kind that tries to pretend that it's cherry flavor.
>>
>>46542098
In these kinds of threads it is implied that only D&D 3.X is relevant and that what OP is looking for is "canon" proof to have a shitty character/setting gimmick.
>>
>>46541024
Depends on the potion. Not just the type of potion, but the individual potion. Different areas across a country will have different recipes for potions that have the same effect. Sometimes the taste changes because they use different healing herbs, some local versions will add something in just for a better flavor, and they might mix it with vinegar or alcohol to better preserve it for a long trip. A general rule is that cheaper potions taste worse even if they have the same effect as a more expensive one.
>>
>>46542184
The fuck you took that from?
He never said anything of the kind
You are retarded, seriously
>>
>>46542184
OP here.
Nope I just thought it would be an interesting question to ask and fun to read the responses.
>>
File: BBQ_Soda.jpg (2 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
BBQ_Soda.jpg
2 KB, 128x128
Like BBQ Soda.
>>
Whenever I do them I always say they're bitter herbal tastes due to the herbs used, as well as being alcoholic, not just because it preserves them but also because alcohol is a good solvent so it's used to make tinctures, even in real life
>>
Potions in my setting are actual liquour, and function as one off magic spells of varying quality. Getting drunk is a very real risk for the average adventurer, and Winos that haven't died in hilarious magic related accidents are basically booze wizards that fire off random spells with a minimum of control.

Liquour is diluted, graded, and washed down, so I don't have to make up different names for different potions. For instance, Cranstons Djinn Fire, a mulled wine that makes your spit and breath combust when not in your mouth, has different effects depending on how watered down it is.

>Consumer Grade: Causes smoke to pour out of your mouth.

>Special Grade: Makes sparks fly out of your mouth

>Undiluted: Literal fireball

Some shadier groups reduce and boil down potions to create a super concentrated sludge that's extraordinarily dangerous, but effective. Additionally, slamming potions back has penalties associated with drunkenness, mostly accuracy penalties and the addition of a fairly marginal critical failure table.
>>
>>46542184
I think you might actually be retarded. Stop thinking of D&D 3.X as the "default" RPG.
>>
In my setting they're brews dissolved in very strong alcohol and then boiled down. They generally taste horrible.
>>
>>46542497
doesn't the Witcher use toxicity in potions?
>>
>>46541478
I packed my puppy in salt
it didn't last.
>>
File: camp food 1.jpg (515 KB, 1180x1714) Image search: [Google]
camp food 1.jpg
515 KB, 1180x1714
>>
Salty milk and rusty coins, that's what magic potions taste like.
>>
File: camp food 2.jpg (457 KB, 1130x1623) Image search: [Google]
camp food 2.jpg
457 KB, 1130x1623
>>
>>46542184
>In these kinds of threads it is implied that only D&D 3.X is relevant
What gave you that idea, you fucking moron?
>>
what does dick taste like
>>
>>46541652
>Manipulating the natural forces around you by tapping into the primal energies of the universe
>Because it disrupts the natural order of living and dead, plus it is seen as a desecration of the body, similar to grave-digging
>Depends if their god is against clouding one's own mind
>It has two enchantments, unless they cancel each other, then it has two useless enchantments
>Elves believe in the soul of all living things as being equal, thus they would frown upon it
>Probably about the same rate as human women have beards
>Demons are defined by their evil, as they are "evil spirits" so if one were to somehow turn good, it would simply be a spirit
>Depends if you're more affiliated with one or the other. If you're completely neutral then why are you trying to classify them?
>Yes
>Stake through the heart/exposure to holy light
>Presumably healthy fruits and herbs
>4, 2 legs and wings is a Wyvern, a subset of dragon. Kind of like calling a dolphin a whale.

fite me
>>
>>46543560
My dick tastes like skin that's been stewing in a dark and sweaty place, or freshly showered skin. It depends on the time of day.
>>
There's a whole table from 2e I belive that tells the flavor of each potion, elixir, and flask.

Your obligatory healing potions rate like almonds.
>>
>>46541024
>collectible glass bottle that doubles as a sex toy

sign me up
>>
>>46541024
Probably like some kind of flavored Sunny D with pop rocks in it.
>>
>>46543560
Like hot mayonnaise.
>>
>>46541826
How does semen taste in your setting?*

Fix'd that for you.
>>
>>46541024
It tastes like exactly 50 American dollars
>>
>>46541826
Like a health potion
>>
>>46542118
stealing

>>46542069
>not having poison potions have unique exotic flavors
>not making dishes that are...to die for
>>
>>46543540
>implying 3.5 isn't still the default D&D

If someone says "What does a healing potion taste like?" and they don't specify a game, it's safe to assume they're talking about 3.5. /tg/ can keep bitching about it all they like, but the continued success of pathfinder proves that to most people 3.5/PF is the default option not only for D&D but for RPGs in general.
>>
File: 1228485542974.gif (473 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1228485542974.gif
473 KB, 350x197
>>46548832
>If someone says "What does a healing potion taste like?" and they don't specify a game, it's safe to assume they're talking about 3.5
No, it isn't. You made a retarded assumption. When called on it, you proceeded to defend it instead of just shrugging and moving on, learning a valuable lesson that not all of us play fucking D&D.

If anything, it's best to assume they mean stock fantasy genres as a whole.
>>
>>46541826
I am going to assume that you don't have a penis because who the fuck hasn't tasted their own semen?
it's salty, but doesn't really taste that much to be honest
>>
>>46548832
>If someone posts on /tg/, and they don't specify a game, it's safe to assume they're talking about 3.5.

>3.5™ is, after all, the official Default® Traditional Game™. It's reasonable to assume /tg/ is basically just a board for D&D that is permissive of discussion of other, non-D&D games, so long as those discussions are clearly labeled as what they are.
>>
>>46549389
this except unironically. Like, ok I get it you people hate roleplaying and verisimilitude so you go on endless crusades against 3.5. But surely even if you don't like it you have to admit how popular it is? what do you get out of stuffing your head in the sand and pretending it's not the "Default® Traditional Game™"?
>>
>>46549379
>who the fuck hasn't tasted their own semen?
This. Kids today just disappear into their videogames and never really experience life.
>>
>>46549507
D&D being popular doesn't mean it's a default any more than saying any video game thread is talking about Call of Duty unless otherwise specified.

That's fucking retarded. If OP meant D&D 3.5, he'd have said D&D 3.5.

Nobody denies D&D is a popular game, but that doesn't make it some kind of official /tg/ default for all threads.
>>
File: vf_700x700_strawberry_milk.jpg (66 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
vf_700x700_strawberry_milk.jpg
66 KB, 700x700
>>46541024
Magic potions? Those taste like lemonade
Health potions on the other hand taste like strawberry milk.

>>46547957
How does semen taste in your setting?*
Also like strawberry milk.
>>
>>46549507
>3.5
>roleplaying and verisimilitude
That depends on the DM and the group more than the system/edition. Different people have different prefered play styles.
>>
>>46549507
see >>46549278
>If anything, it's best to assume they mean stock fantasy genres as a whole.
surely you might agree that, absent a specific game, setting, or system being referenced, it's not unreasonable to assume that threads like these are talking in the generic sense? Even taking your "popularity means default" stance which is, for the record, still fucking stupid surely you'd agree that, by definition, a genre that includes typical D&D settings by definition is more popular than D&D alone.
>>
File: 1275000609842.jpg (45 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
1275000609842.jpg
45 KB, 425x319
>>46549507
>if you don't think 3.5 is the One True RPG, you just hate roleplaying
Does anyone actually fall for this shit? Are you baiting, or are you just so used to this bullshit that you don't see it for the cheap insult it really is? Fuck off until you can state your point like an adult.

Oh, and have you tried not playing D&D?
>>
>>46541652
>You think anime is real.
It isnt?!
>>
>>46541652
>If you give an answer, you literally do not understand the concept of fiction.
Or perhaps it's generally accepted and need not be clarified on a board dedicated to tabletop gaming that we're talking about works of fiction. Are you autistic?
>>
Not sure what it would taste like, but it's definitely for sure that a standard Health Potion would cost approximately fifty US dollars.
>>
File: 1378660601154.gif (393 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1378660601154.gif
393 KB, 200x200
Depending on what you think it tastes like, what kind of dishes would be made by an Iron Chef using health potions as a theme ingredient?

>health potion champagne cocktail
>a hangover-free alcoholic drink that heals any liver damage or other toxic effects as you drink it, while retaining a pleasant and euphoric buzz
>>
>>46549749
>>46548512
This meme wasn't funny in the last thread you spammed it in. Surprisingly, it still isn't funny. Huh.
>>
>>46549928
What even is the supposed joke here?
>>
>>46549972
It's from the "if you repeat something enough, it's funny" school of memes.

Or maybe it's a reference to something, but if it is I don't know what.
>>
Like buckley cough syrup for health potions and mana potions taste like 50-year old bootleg moonsihine....though mana potions arent a thing i think because fucking vancian magic.
>>
>semen
>>>/fit/
>>
>>46541024
Well, according to the Final Fantasy cafe in Japan, a potion tastes like Blue Curacao, Lemon, Orange Juice, and Soda
>>
>>46541024
Those ones in particular?

>To commemorate the coming of Final Fantasy XII Square Enix and Suntory produced "Final Fantasy Potion"—an herb-drink containing such ingredients as royal jelly, propolis extract, elderberry, chamomile, sage, thyme, hyssop, fennel, marjoram, rosemary, basil, Melissa, carbonated water, caffeine, and artificial coloring. The drink had a unique taste; it was very sweet, but at the same time possessed a bitter herbal aftertaste. When poured, the drink had a light blue color.
>>
>>46550123
Depends. There's also

>Square Enix's cafe Artnia sells a drink called Potion in reference to the item in the Final Fantasy series. It is a lemon-flavored drink with fresh mint, containing mint, lemon, honey and soda.
>>
>>46550201
>mint lemon
Highly underrated combination.
>>
>>46550201
Dang, that sounds pretty good. But what I'm seeing here is that Potions taste kind of lemony, which lets be honest, is really not a bad thing.
>>
Making a desert setting.

I believe people could cook by putting th efood inside the hot sand (black sand) outside and waiting.

How would meals cooked that way taste? Any sepcial recipe.

WHat else would they be eating in a desert setting? Full recipies possibly.
>>
>>46541024
About 50 USD
>>
>>46550257
To be fair, lemons have always been associated with health. And curing scurvy.
>>
>>46550293
Really? That's neat! Lemons seem like a reasonable taste for healing magics then.
>>
File: 0386224.jpg (28 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
0386224.jpg
28 KB, 600x399
>>46550275
see >>46549928
>>
>>46550272
Most desert cultures back in the day were still growing crops and living by sources of water and traveling out into the desert for other reasons.

If this setting is pure brutal desert ala Dark Sun or Dune? The only modern day equivalent are the Bedouin. Their diet is mostly fetir and moraras.

>Moraras, like a pancake, are made from flour, water and samna (a kind of fat) and sugar or honey.

>Fetir is similar to bread, made with flour, water and little salt in the fire.

tl;dr, shitloads of flour/rice/dried beans that are easy to carry and make into breads. Honey and milk.

They don't really put shit in the sand to eat because water is too valuable to spend washing off sandy food.
>>
>>46549972
I think the potion from OP's post costs 50 bucks.
>>
>>46549972
>>46550035
The FF potions were being resold on eBay for $50 when they came out.
>>
>>46549742
>we're talking about works of fiction
Which can have any facts and rules the author decides and they're all equally valid.
No matter what you say, in some settings that would be true, and in some settings that would be demonstrably false. Nobody is right. Nobody is going to settle OP's question once and for all. It's a pointless question until some context is given.
>>
>>46550734
You assume OP's question is seeking one final, definitive, ultimate answer.

Which is a retarded assumption for the exact reasons you just said.

Rather than infer from this that your assumption was faulty, you instead attacked OP so you could smugly pretend your knowledge is superior for having figured out something the rest of us instantly realized.

Idiot.
>>
>>46550947
So this thread is like "How long is a piece of string?" and then 300 posts of arbitrary numbers?
>>
>>46551022
No, this thread is asking what a health potion tastes like, with the unstated - because it is too obvious to need stating - acknowledgement that answers will vary from setting to setting or person to person.
>>
I had an idea once where health potions weren't so much concoctions you brewed up, but spring water you put inside a special bottle. Depending on which spring you filled up at, it would have a different flavor. A dull or faint flavor means an ineffective potion - a strong or overwhelming flavor means an effective potion. Some flavors include:

>Strawberry
>Chocolate
>Grape
>Mint
>Lemon
>Salty milk and rusted coins
>>
>>46551022
Nope, try with "How long is the hempen rope in your character's backpack?"
>>
>>46551060
>>46551174
So why bother asking? What does anyone gain from it?
>>
>>46551323
An understanding on how different lenghts of hempen rope are optimal for differents situations and ideas on how to bring new creative uses of hempen rope to your table.
>>
$50
>>
>>46551323
>So why bother asking? What does anyone gain from it?
Why bother doing anything? Life is pointless. Kill yourself.
>>
>>46551499
see >>46549928
>>
How long does it take to chug a potion?
>>
File: il_fullxfull.784811202_ygoq.jpg (351 KB, 1500x1061) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.784811202_ygoq.jpg
351 KB, 1500x1061
>>46541024
I imagine they have a very strong herbal taste tinged with over-cooked meat from the monster bits rendered into them. Since alcohol is the best potion base, the stronger and purer the better, they burn all the way down.
>>
>>46551757
the average human gulp is about 4oz. So it depends on the volume of the potion.
>>
File: 1440545846097.jpg (18 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
1440545846097.jpg
18 KB, 460x368
>>46549278
>>
File: 1409165076757.jpg (168 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
1409165076757.jpg
168 KB, 1016x970
>>46553161
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.