[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In this thread we bitch about things that make you mad in MtG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 20
File: WhySoExpensive.jpg (53 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
WhySoExpensive.jpg
53 KB, 312x445
In this thread we bitch about things that make you mad in MtG

Why is Scalding Tarn best fetchland? If you actually think about it no fetchland should be better than other, but God damn it Tarn is so good and woo expensive and I've I had a play set my modern deck would be 10 times better only because of that fetchland
>>
>>46540063
To start with the basics, it means that you can fetch for many of the more popular blue colour combinations, RUG BUG and Grixis all benefit from this specific land.

Secondly, leading with this turn one ensures your opponent doesn't have a good read on what you're playing. You could run it without a single island but the thought of having to play around counterspell and specifically force of will in older formats is probably well worth it.
>>
>>46540090
So true, I'm just mad because I'm right in that range where I can buy a playset but it hurts me as a person to spend the money
>>
>>46540063
I'm mad about people playing playing competitive infinite combo decks, often with ten or more proxies, when I explicitly say I'm looking for a casual game.

Why do competitive players even seek out casual players and trick them into playing against them? I would have thought a competitive player would want to challenge himself against other competitive decks, but instead they just skulk around the LGS waiting for new, unaware players to wonder in.

Like most things the worst thing abut MTG is the player base. ffs if you're running a competitive turn 4 win deck, then at least tell the casual player that so they can fuck off and find someone else more on their level.
>>
>>46540292
Sadly the player base is largely consisted of people who only have fun when they win, and it sucks. That's why modern is such a shit hole. I play modern and I love my deck but it's not tier one and it doesn't even run the stuff to make it tier 2. That's why I always laugh when people say "why don't you play this card it's so much better" it's because it's just not fun.
>>
>>46540292
There's a kind of bell curve in magic where scrubs and true pros are generally cool people (not counting Efro) but the wannabe-pros in the middle know deep down they're not Pro Tour level so they have to beat 12-year olds with jank homebrews to feel good about themselves.
>>
>>46540360
Should clarify: they beat up on 12-year olds who have jank homebrews, the wannabes are probably netdecking whatever just won an Open.
>>
>>46540063
Secondary Market in general
That being said I'm going to sell my Goblin homebrew for ~$200, so I guess it has my back on this one
>>
>>46540378
You're so right. I remember watching the pro tour I think a year ago maybe 2 where Abzan was running rampant. Efro was playing this other Abzan deck that was the offshoot of pod and God damn it was the most unenjoyable game of magic I've ever seen. He was just going through he motions and whenever anything happened he would just sigh and pout like a fucking five year old
>>
I hate decks that don't interact with their opponents, just fielding mass kill spells until they can hit their win condition, turning the game into a time trial to see who wins first, rather than who beats the other guy.

It really takes the fun out of magic for me, I love when decks go absolutely balls out against each other each trying to manoeuvre around the other, and occasionally finding creative new uses for your cards in the heat of a close battle that you never intended..
>>
>>46540063
Got my playset of Tarns and Snapcasters from based chinaman. I've been playing them in modern fnm every week for two months. They are completely indistinguishable from the real cards when sleeved.
Just don't try to sell or trade them.
>>
>>46541253
Sadly that sounds like my deck UWR Control it's just counters Burns and kill spells but it's not a "well I win now that I drew this card deck"
>>
>>46541253
>hate decks that don't interact with their opponents
>just fielding mass kill spells until they can hit their win condition

I believe you are using the word "interact " wrong.
They are clearly answering threaths you are preseting and thusly they "interact " with your strategy.
Where as there are many aggro strategies like infect that mostly completely ignore your plan and go for face.

tbqh /tg/ use of "interact" is slowly crawling into being a buzzword
>>
Edh players who play MLD or infinites.

I'm playing magic to play. Not to sit out and not cast spells while you slowly atempt to win the game.

I've been fortunate enough to play in groups that aren't faggots.

But I can't help but feel sorry for the kids that have no other way out. Adapt or die. And then they turn into shitty players themselves. Or stop playing all together.
>>
File: 1459975073512.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1459975073512.jpg
77 KB, 1024x768
Guys that go fucking crazy with rules at regular REL

Where I usually play, 3/5 matches go to turns, so use of shortcuts is welcome, but there's always two or three guys that make their opponents go insane. And we're usually playing casual shit.
"You drew your mulligan before I decided about mine"
"You didn't offer me your deck to cut it"

They are so annoying one of the mas DQ'd from a FNM because he kept being a major asshole to a kid that was attending a FNM for the first time.
>>
>>46542242
I'm going to my first Grand Prix in LA but I have yet to experience these people
>>
>>46541703
I used to,think the same way but then I played against memedrazi for the first time with this shitty shared fate deck and I learned what true lack of interaction means
>>
>>46541253
>I hate decks that don't interact with their opponents, just fielding mass kill spells until they can hit their win condition
How is removal not interaction? You play threats and your opponent tries to play answers. Your opponent's cards do things to your cards. Your opponent is more focused on what you do than on getting you down to zero life. That is interaction.

>turning the game into a time trial to see who wins first, rather than who beats the other guy.
How does running a lot of removal turn the game into a time trial? Decks with a lot of removal don't try to win as fast as possible. You're acting like the Jund vs. aggro match is the same as the Storm vs. Infect match.

It sounds like what you actually dislike is interaction, not the lack of it.
>>
>>46541253
>Buhu i hate when you supreme verdict all my robots
Bad aggro player edition
>>
>>46542080
>complaining about MLD
MLD is the only way for White/Red/Boros decks to stay in the game against Land Ramp. MLD is a tool to break the infinite combos that you despise.

A LGS without MLD is an LGS where decks that are either Green or Black are kings.

If you are getting fucked by MLD you are either running a low land count or you need more mana rocks, which are easy changes to a deck.
>>
>>46542080
Man i love my Jhoira EDH with obliterate+eldrazi
>>
I hate that MaRo is literally the only developer who talks about magic. I would love any other opinion than his from the developers and designers
>>
>>46542661
Maro is not developer, in fact developers are so scared of social media cause they know how the shitstorm of complains would be if they get a tumblr
>>
I'm just mad they keep reprinting goyf as a mythic in 10 dollar packs when it was originally a rare, I don't want to pay fucking 160 for a goyf for a Marath for my tiny, I wouldn't even trade for one because if it ever drastically dropped I would be at a huge fucking loss, but god damn is the art fire as fuck on that card
>>
>>46542485
When people make this kind of comment they generally limit their definition of interaction to what happens on the battlefield.

Anything that doesn't involve attacking or blocking isn't interaction to them.
>>
>>46542932
I meant during combat, not on the battlefield.
>>
>>46542612
My gf has a solid Aurelia list that runs no MLD. Nobody runs MLD except for the tryhards who only play to win ASAP. In which case commander isint for you.
It's pretty diverse where I am. It's not a ugx shitshow like you all claim to be victims to. Guess I have it lucky where i don't need to dilute my decks with Mana rocks.

>>46542649
And I love when you resolve obliterate and we all keep playing and you "win".
>>
My greatest gripe is, that it's literally fucking impossible to casually play this game long-term or even medium-term, unless everyone in the group both enjoys the game at the same level and has the same spending money for cards.
>>
>>46542485
Spamming mass removal is ineraction in the same way that tapping lands for mana is. You're not looking at what your opponent has and then figuring out how to respond, you're just following a fucking flow chart.

Is my combo on the table? - Yes - I win
|
No
|
Does my opponent have permanents? - Yes - Wipe the board
|
No
|
Play my draw spells

That's not interaction, that's repeating the same process again and again, turning yourself into a card playing NPC.

>>46542488
Racing for infinite combos is boring, I'm sorry you had to hear it like this. Try a more dynamic deck and you might start having fun and being less sour about players who run creatures.
>>
>>46542612
>being this autistic

This board is getting worse and worse. More millennials playing the game.
>>
File: browns fans.jpg (50 KB, 640x744) Image search: [Google]
browns fans.jpg
50 KB, 640x744
>want to play MtG
>FNM is filled with pro-leveled $200 decks
>stuck playing draft with a shitty cube
>>
>>46543271

Cube is the best though
>>
>>46543206
>Does my opponent have permanents? - Yes - Wipe the board
>No
>Play my draw spells

Playing a control deck effectively involves far more decisions than this, and if you keep making complaints similar to this one you aren't going to get anything other than ridicule.
>>
>>46543271
Why not just go to a casual draft with a pack per win? The tryhard players usually avoid the low payout and you can still play without an expensive ass deck.
>>
File: hotaru.jpg (32 KB, 375x344) Image search: [Google]
hotaru.jpg
32 KB, 375x344
>>46540063
>Why is Scalding Tarn best fetchland?

moshi moshi

polluted delta desu.
>>
>>46543338
Obviously I wasn't talking about those decks then, but you came here today keen on finding an argument even if there wasn't one so I guess you got what you wanted.
>>
>>46543361
Mah nigga. Blue and black are the colors of combo in legacy.
>>
>>46543449
So which decks were you talking about and what are you running? Give me a list, or at least an archetype, and I'll see if I can give you some pointers.

Right now it just sounds like you're complaining about a magical christmasland deck where your opponent always the right answers for your threats and enough mana to cast them. Those decks don't exist, but it's often what inexperienced players feel like they have to overcome when they don't know how the deck they're trying to beat works. There's a fairly good chance that this matchup is far more winnable than you think, but you need to be willing to learn.
>>
>>46543206
That is interaction whether you like it or not. Your opponent is using cards to do things to your cards. Interaction isn't a narrow set of instances; it's a broad category. It seems that what you want is more combat, not more interaction in general. What exactly are you facing that's causing this much trouble for you?
>>
>>46543520
Pretty much any of the U/X ones are the best, but UB is the de-facto best combination.
>>
>>46542702

mythic didn't exist in yet in Future Sight; goyf is exactly the kind of mechanically-bizarre card that the rarity was designed for. It's just unfortunate that it's a multi-format staple
>>
>>46540354
Maybe you shouldn't play a fucking competitive format with the intent of playing casual garbage
>>
>>46543206
Lol this is the majority of players. Total restards
>>
>>46544656
Memedern players, everyone.
Meanwhile, Legacy boasts 15+ viable archetypes.
>>
>>46544891
Lol you don't even know what the words you're using mean.

15 archetypes? Name them
>>
>>46544969
Different anon, but sure. Shardless, Aluren, Foodchain, Miracles, ANT, TES, DnT, Belcher, RUG Delver, BUG delver, Stoneblade, Merfolk, fucking Elves, Belcher, Sneak and Show, OmmniShow, MUD, Tezzerator, Painter, Jund, Nic Fit, Reanimator, Burn, Maverick,12Post, Lands and Dredge are just the ones that come to mind.
>>
>>46542612
> Can't deal with MLD
> Complain about MLD
> Ban MLD
> Don't learn how to deal with MLD

It's a vicious cycle
>>
>>46543239
It's not millennials who are running armageddon and telling you to build your deck better, it's old men.
>>
>>46540123

I know that feeling. It just fucking boggles my mind when I hear these guys at my LGS talking about planning to spend $1000+ on a deck and then say how they quit their Nth minimum wage job this year because they didn't like it.
>>
>>46545063
When he said "archetypes," I'm pretty sure he meant actual archetypes like aggro, control, and combo. What you listed are decks. Notice how he made the following statement:
>you don't even know what the words you're using mean
>>
>>46543942
Goyf is not "mechanically bizarre". It's basically Delirium which appears plenty at common and uncommon. Not saying Goyf should be common or uncommon since power level is an issue there too, and Delirium caps out at 4 whereas goyf can go further, but it is not "mechanically bizarre" to the point that it should be mythic for the sake of being so ridiculous weird because it isn't. It was kind of weird during Future Sight since it referenced planeswalkers before we had planeswalkers but that gimmick is well past its sell by date.
>>
>>46543942
>mechanically bizzare
> snapcaster is a rare
>pyromancer is a uncommon
> goyf is a card that just sits on the field until people are done spamming removal or it gets removed
???
>>
>>46545173
Not that guy, but if you're going to define it that way, there's only really 4 archetypes in any format, standard doesn't often get combo and wizards really don't want control in modern.
>>
>>46545063
Sorry, the reason why I'm listing the different flavors of Delver as different decks is that RUG is a pure tempo deck that uses cheap disruption, and BUG is more of a midrange deck.

>>46545173
I feel stupid now. Oh well, if anyone wants to talk about legacy, I'm here.
>>
>>46545194
Goyf was a mythic to protect mus speculationfags.

And the whole "if a card interacts with planeswalkers it has to be rare" thing we've seen with shit like hero's downfall is bullshit.
>>
>>46545267
Pretty much this. There's no real justification for Tarmogoyf at mythic rare that involves gameplay, it's purely because of the card's pedigree both financially and power-level-wise.
>>
Snapcaster is going to be mythic rare in the next Modern Masters
>>
>>46545240
What do you play? I started playing Junk Nic Fit a couple months ago, and now it's my favorite deck. I love how much it preys on Delver. Sadly, my Miracles match-up is pretty poor.
>>
>>46545327
I've been playing Death and Taxes for about a year, I have modern fish, and working on getting the Forces for the legacy version.
>>
>>46545321
It would be a step up from comet storm no doubt
>>
>>46545369
Instead we'll get Obsidian Fireheart.
>>
>>46544969

Burn, aggro, tempo, midrange, hard control, ramp, fast combo, slow combo, land synergies, aggro-combo, Aether Vial aggro-control, prison, hatebears. That's only 14 but still.
>>
>>46545474
That actually seems like a good choice for mythic. Its not a format staple, its pretty damn strong in limited, its a card that you cant just slot into any deck, and it has neat and unique mechanics.
>>
>>46545502
You forgot aggro-prison and midrange combo
>>
>>46545362
Are you hoping for Eternal Masters to help with getting the Forces?
>>
>>46545509
>limited for a set that's supposed to print staples
Mm isn't supposed to be a draft set lol, why would I pay 10 dollars to get some sweet staples and end up with a junk mythic?
>>
>>46545509
I hope this was sarcasm. At best the card is interesting or unique mechanically even if it what it actually does with the mechanics is just BURN BURN BURN like red always does. Comet Storm is not good OR interesting but at least it's efficient and is a strong commander card (which has no business in a modern set).
>>
>>46545509
>It's pretty damn strong in limited
90% of rares and mythics are "pretty damn strong in limited". This card isn't even absurdly, out of the ordinarily strong in limited, like Startled Awake or something
>>
>>46545509
You heard the man wizards, we want Obsidian Fireheart in the next Modern Masters. You heard it here first. Strong in limited (like most rares), doesn't slot into just any deck (because no deck wants that piece of shit), and, most importantly, it has neat and unique mechanics (a red card, that burns!!)
>>
>>46545562
Not really, force never was a problem, convincing myself to spend the money was the bigger deal. I'm honestly more annoyed about the incoming tank on all my DnT cards than I am about cheaper forces.
>>
>>46543564
Learn how to grab my credit card and buy $2,000 worth of staple cards so I can win every single match? Booooring.

As an aside, hexproof should protect against all spells the opponent plays, not just the ones that target it.
>>
>>46545764
>As an aside, hexproof should protect against all spells the opponent plays, not just the ones that target it.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
>>
File: bb.jpg (20 KB, 389x388) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
20 KB, 389x388
>>46545764

>hexproof should protect against all spells the opponent plays, not just the ones that target it.

and how do you propose we make the rules work that way?
>>
>>46545801
>>46545791
Rename it something like "hidden" or something. Hexproof does jack shit when 80% of removal in modern is board wipes.
>>
>>46545822
Boggle pickers everybody
>>
>>46545822

>Rename it something like "hidden" or something.

And what does "hidden" do exactly?

>Hexproof does jack shit when 80% of removal in modern is board wipes.

what is Lightning Bolt
>>
>>46545764
True name nemesis and slippery boggle
>>
>>46545801
>How would that work?
If that player plays a board wipe it wipes everything except the card. If he plays a instant/sorcery it cannot target the card. If he activates a ability that would target or in any way effect the creature it doesn't. Combat is the only way to kill it and there's a billion buffs you can put on creatures (if you even fucking run creatures).
>>
>>46545867

>If that player plays a board wipe it wipes everything except the card.

Yeah, but how does that work in the language of the rules of the game?
>>
>>46545801
>How would it work?
Protection from non-creature spells?
>>
>>46545883
Probably this
>>46545898
>>
>>46545898
That's not how protection works and is exactly why they're not using protection nearly as much anymore
>>
File: dredgewhen.png (256 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
dredgewhen.png
256 KB, 312x445
>>46545898
>>46545914

Wrath of God beats protection, so that doesn't work
>>
>>46545764
Sounds like you lack a basic understanding of what the point of a tcg is.

You will never enjoy magic, quit before you spend any more money and stop making shitty suggestions. You people have fucked with standard enough already.
>>
ITT a prime example of /tg/ being bad at magic.
>>
>>46545957
So cards with specific effects to prevent them from dying to removal die to removal anyways? That's like the case with indestructible creatures getting exiled, counterspells working on a creature who can't be countered, and infinite loop combo-killing every opponent in a single turn.
>>
>>46546009
Hexproof does not exist to stop creatures dying to removal, it exists to stop them being targetted by targetted removal, and this is exactly what it does.

Yes, indestructible creatures can be exiled or reduced to 0 toughness, uncounterable spells can be exiled and combos exist. What's your point? Everything has an answer.
>>
>>46546066
But there's no point then. Everything you do will be countered and you will lose. Every game. Why even play when the result will always eventually be the same?
>>
>>46546141
This is such a defeatist argument that it feels almost comical, it can't be real. What format are you playing? Are you trying to play Bogles in Vintage or something?
>>
>>46540354
To be fair, as L says 'everyone would rather win than lose'. Getting your ass steamrolled at FNM can take a lot of getting used to and I don't even play a tiered deck.
>>
>>46546141
Your opponent will not always have the correct answers for your threats. They won't even have as many answers as you have threats if you're playing aggro and they're playing control. Learn how to make this work for you.
>>
>>46546173
Try playing standard without access to hope.
>>
>>46546225
So try and waste my creatures while they get countered/removed and hope he runs out so I can actually play something before my health gets whittled to 0? Not likely.
>>
>>46546182
Have you managed to make the connection yet between those two things?
>>
>>46546240

but there aren't even many boardwipes or counterspells in standard lol
>>
>>46546240
How does any of the things you talked about have anything to do with standard? Hexproof creatures aren't even a thing in standard but it isn't because of Kozilek's Return.
>>
>>46546264
I think anon means he's got depression and is trying to play a competitive card game filled with loud grognards.
>>
>>46546258
Just quit then. Answers will always exist to threats. Things need to have weaknesses to certain strategies. Counterspells & Removal have weaknesses too. Try running your own counterspells and make it a tempo fight, or use cards with "Can't be countered" and creatures that have effects when they die to fight removal. This is basic level shit, if you can't understand that, this game isn't for you.
>>
>>46546258
You're assuming that your opponent has enough mana and answers to deal with your threats while casting their own. Stop that. These decks don't exist. Learn what the weaknesses of other decks are or you're never going to improve.
>>
>>46546258

lol idk what you're talking about, playing aggro against a control deck is extremely fun. Have you played vintage hatebears against landstill? Legacy infect against miracles? Modern burn against tron? Shit's hilarious
>>
>>46543206
Here's your "aggro" interaction

Do I have lethal on the board? - Yes - I win
|
No
|
Does my opponent have blockers? - Yes - Attack
|
No
|
Attack

>That's not interaction, that's repeating the same process again and again, turning yourself into a card tapping NPC.

Go back to Hearthstone you raging faggot
>>
>>46546313
Speaking as a Tron player, I can attest to that. That being said, Modern control isn't a real thing, so it's not much of a comparison. Infect is the real deal in a format full of Force of Wills and Swords to Plowshares and Terminus though.
>>
>>46546313
It is not. It's like running a deck that requires two or more spells a turn while the opponent is running 4x managorger hydra, 4x hardened scales, and enough counterspells to fuck everything you try to do.
>>
>>46546173
I'm 90% sure he's been playing a deck that seems conceptually strong and then is thrown up against a UB deck that just packs all of the offbeat removal. He's a scrub that thinks magic should be about getting your dudes to hit the enemy and have their dudes block, and have spells change up how combat goes.

I get it, I used to be like that too. I got really sick of my opponents basically skipping combat, so I slotted in creatures I liked with indestructibles or hexproofs that I didn't as much. Then I realized they were using boardwipes and (at the time) infect to get around my indestructibility. So i started splashing blue to try and counter those, but then I realized I was only going to make a hollow copy of the decks I was already losing to.

Then I discovered Standard and EDH, and I stopped giving a shit about worrying about knowing the entire pedigree of MtG being thrown at me.
>>
>>46546259
You mean that a non tiered deck loses to tiered decks and that it's frustrating? Yes I get the connection but firstly it's not true that a non tiered deck is bad at FNM level, at that level you can be meta aware enough to play a convincing rogue deck. Secondly I considered getting a better deck but in the end I decided to just take my lumps and learn to embrace losing a bit.

Realistically it's healthier to embrace the possibility of losing than it is to go full-on tier-1 chaser at the FNM level, particularly when even a tier 1 deck doesn't guarantee a win. It's why it amuses me that jundbabbies get salty because they think the most expensive deck guarantees a win, despite jund being the epitome of a 50/50 matchup deck.
>>
ITT: Anon has depression while playing a competitive card game.
>>
>>46544656

>competitive
>you can count the important tournaments with your bare hands

Great anon. Just spend another 1000 dollars to stay "competitive". I guess your weekly FNM booster packs are worth it.
>>
>>46546477
>I guess your weekly FNM booster packs are worth it.
I don't know what you just said.

I'm not that guy, I'm new, and I don't follow.
>>
>>46546477
People spend their money on all sorts of stupid shit, look at sports, is spending money on hockey equipment stupid because you're not in the NHL? No, it allows you to play the game at a competitive level DESPITE the fact you're not in the NHL. Most of us will never play a GP or Pro- tour that's true, but that doesn't mean we have to play garbage at FNM.
>>
>>46546540
Friday Night Magic is a common event on Friday nights at game stores. The winners of these events get booster packs (15 semi-random cards per pack).
>>
>>46546580
Got it.
>>
>>46543076

A play group can agree to not use the internet and to play exclusively with cards from booster packs so that the decks aren't too powerful and bombs only occurs as 1-offs.
>>
>>46543206

Play more Limited
>>
>>46546580
my lgs just gives store credit because most people dont want shitty standard packs, but if you want them you can ask for them instead
packs are only non-optional during pre-release events
>>
>>46546666
I think that's the best solution honestly. You might get that mythic rare or you might end up with a rare that you decide to build a deck around for a one-off game.
>>
File: tarns.jpg (358 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
tarns.jpg
358 KB, 750x1000
>>46540063
You don't even have a single playset? What's wrong with you?
>>
I hate the reserved list and the artificial limiting of packs. Not just cards, but the packs themselves for modern masters were hard as shit to come by at all, let alone for MSRP, which was beyond retarded for a pack anyway.

The reserved list is to help people who adopted the game early, I get that, but it's so stupid. I have no doubt wizards would make more money by just making continual reprint sets. Yes stores would lose money in terms of card value, but people would be buying more packs.
>>
>>46546666
this sounds self defeating once one guy opens a Jace the Mind Sculptor or Arcbound Ravager and then everyone else needs to buy 15+ packs trying to pull something of comparable quality. Not using the internet will make this even more bullshit as people struggle to figure out which sets have a higher quality than others.
>>
>>46547139
I have never seen nearly $5,000 worth of cards crammed into a single image before.
>>
>>46547163
The odds of anyone pulling that is tiny, and there are a million answers to both arch bound ravager and jace.
>>
File: Summer-and-stuff.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Summer-and-stuff.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>46547184
Here... try this one.
>>
>>46547213
How much are those worth combined?
>>
>>46547236
Roughly at least $70k.
>>
>>46542702
Statistically, it was actually MORE rare than mythic. You only got one slot of Futureshifted from Future Sight, and if your Futureshifted card wasn't a rare, oh well!
>>
>>46547213
I hate what a secondary market has done to a hobby I enjoy.
>>
>>46543039
You are the guy from the store that bans cards in commander? Such a los t of pussies
>>
>>46545194

The most bizarre part of Tarmo is how "Tribal" supposedly counts as a card type. That has never made sense and never will.

You can't print a card that just says "Tribal" on the type line, it has to be tribal-something-else. All the real card types work by themselves, you can have a land that's just a land, an instant that's just an instant... but you can't have a tribal that's just a tribal.
>>
>>46547213

What the fuck are those Counterspells and Giant Growths at the bottom? They look homosexual as fuck.
>>
>>46549012
Those are probably glitches templates or "rough draft" cards used in card creation. Because there's literally only 1 copy of each ever they're apparently worth something.
>>
>>46548977
Do we have a creature that is just "Creature" with no subtypes?

Barring stuff from really early sets where the identity of the game wasn't well established.
>>
>>46549130
Tribal is shit though.
>>
>>46549183
Tribal is great and was only discontinued because it wasn't in the game from its inception.
It's a great idea for cards.
>>
>>46549130
>Do we have a creature that is just "Creature" with no subtypes?
Nameless Race and face-down creatures.
>>
>>46540123
$10,000 In bank, still playing budget shitbrews, except affinity, which I bought into when it was sort of cheap. I know all your feels bro.
I think my 3 edhs decks total $400 including Daretti with a micosynth lattice. My other hobby is pc gaming, but i only spent $700 on my machine. Maybe this is why i have $10k on minimum wage.
>>
File: twins.png (316 KB, 557x242) Image search: [Google]
twins.png
316 KB, 557x242
I hate how some of the aspergers ridden retards at my LGS can't pick up on basic social ques.

A while ago I was playing Grixis Twin on modern night and was playing against a new player, the first game I he stumbled on lands and I combo'd him out turn 4, when I had to explain the combo for him I knew something was up. Next game starts and he has a much better opener but what he's playing in khans of tarkir block draft dregs. I figure the guy wants an actual game and opt not to play the combo (despite by the end of the game having drawn two copies of twin) and what we ended up with was a real close game, I only came out on top with a topdeck snapcaster into bolt.

However during the game this absolute knob jockey sat down next to me to watch. The whole fucking time he kept pointing at the twin in my hand a creature it could combo with like I'm some sort of blithering moron who didn't understand my decks own win-con. Then when the game ended I congratulated the new player on a close game and offered to help him with his deck and the dickhead next to me say "He could of beat you at anytime with his combo." The newbie was fucking shattered, it was no longer a close and well fought game for two people who play the same amazing game but some guy who screwed him around for 20 minutes.

TL;DR: Guy tries to play fair magic with a newbie, sperg shits all over everyone's good time.
>>
File: bateman.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bateman.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
>>46548035
Yeah, Giant Growth, Counterspell, Mijae Djinn, Eye for an Eye, Shock, and Hurricane are so damn expensive these days. It's a shame that Summer cards and test prints have such a drastic effect on the secondary market.

>>46549012
8th edition test prints.
>>
>>46546580
Only shitty stores give out packs. Better stores give out store credit either as default or as an option instead of packs.

>>46549012
Test prints made to try new border designs
>>
>>46549397
At least he learned the kid a more valuable lesson than what you did. And that lesson is that MtG players are the scum of the earth and not worth engaging with, even if there are decent players like you. It's just not worth it.
>>
>>46549672
Stores sell singles at prices at least %30-50 higher than what I can find online for lower with FREE shipping to boot. I am a pati by man so I can wait a week to save $15 on singles. Doesn't mean I won't buy some cheap commons to build a jank combo for casual play.
>>
>>46549896
*Patient man
Autocorrect is a bitch. I would honestly prefer a choice between store credit and straight up boosters since the new set is available for purchase now.
>>
>>46543076
Sealed league is a thing. As is pauper. And t3 modern.
>>
>>46543271
I wish my decks were only 200$.
>>
>>46545474
The land continues to burn.
>>
>>46550313
Pauper might be my favorite format. Its so easy to get people to play. Here bro, what do you want to play? Tron, Elves, Delver, or Acid Trip.
>>
>>46545822
Only decks that mainboard wipes are tron and emeria. Do you even play modern?
>>
Why would the fetchlands be equal? Red and blue are objectively the best colors in magic, and anyone who plays filthy inferior colors of magic should be ashamed
>>
>>46550555
>emeria is a deck
Do you?
>>
>>46545822
So a creature with shroud (because hexproof is for casual shitlords) and indestructible?
Maybe a 1/1 for U/G/R with "at the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice all enchantments and equipments attached to it"
>>
I fucking hate it when players lack a basic understanding of rules and etiquette.

Untap,upkeep,draw,main,combat,main,end isnt a complicated sequence and is very intuitive.

Learn the fucking stack. That shit ain't fucking hard to figure out.

Holy shit, just read what the fucking card says.

Yes, I'm allowed to shuffle your deck, otherwise how do I know your cheating. Of course you can shuffle mine. No a pile shuffle is not sufficient. Holy shit just fucking shuffle your goddamn playing cards. They are literally made for it.

Fucking mana weaving (incoming shitstorm)
>>
File: image:81602.jpg (35 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:81602.jpg
35 KB, 312x445
>>46550662
Id say the power level of the colors if you look at eternal formats is this
1) Blue
2) Black
3) Red
4) White
5) Green
Id say due to Yawgmoths Will and a few other things that black just barely edges out over Red. Green is absolute garbage. At least white has Balance and Swords.
>>
>>46551288
Green has Oath of Druids, and Survival. That's not nothing, but I do agree that its anemic.
>>
Players who just reach over and fucking grab graveyards to look through them. At least ask me if you can you socially inept sperglords.
>>
>>46551366
Yeah Survival of the Fittest is awesome. Really wish it wasnt banned in Legacy. Its probably my favorite green card and the only one id consider building a deck around. I also wish Balance was unbanned in Legacy. Really want to play with it.
>>
File: Landscape is not amused.png (255 KB, 319x317) Image search: [Google]
Landscape is not amused.png
255 KB, 319x317
playing in absolute silence.

Dictate the fucking game - I might not know what the card does, so fucking tell me.
>>
>>46551456
This. I narrate everything to keep the game flowing and smooth. Theres few times when I wont say something and its usually only when I go, mountain , Goblin Guide, swing and pass.
>>
>>46551522
>>46551456
Same. I'm sitting on the other side of the table and haven't been looking at that card in my hand, just say the name. Also please announce triggers, just don't start doing shit without waiting for my response.
>>
>>46551456
>yfw the tip of his nose is a nigglet
>>
>>46550686
I run into it frequently on modo. It is a deck wheter you like it or not.
>>
>>46551660
he's whiter than any american, but that doesn't say much.
>>
>>46551660
That boy is blonde. Definitely not a nigglet.
>>
>>46551456
>>46551522
>>46551624
I name the cards I'm casting and hold them for the opponent to read, but I don't spell out what each one does (unless it's modular like a Command). If my opponent fucks himself over because he didn't read a card I put on the field turns ago, it's no skin off my back.
>>
>>46552160
>If my opponent fucks himself over because he didn't read a card I put on the field turns ago, it's no skin off my back.

If the card does something to affect the board you better be fucking announcing it.
>>
>>46552205
My opponent can read the fucking card when I cast it. If it hits the field and my opponent doesn't know what it does, he should fucking ask.
>>
>>46548748
Nothing's store banned.

People just have a general sense of what's acceptable. Randumbs who walk in with armeggedon end up sitting out if they dont play nice
>>
>>46552205
>If the card does something to affect the board you better be fucking announcing it.
if you pass priority you're consenting to whatever the fuck your opponent did
your opponent announcing things doesn't mean he's on the level
you need to keep your own vigilance
>>
>>46543239
>Autism
>Git off my lawn
>Stop blowing up my lawn
Those are some hot arguments anon. You're really good at this.
>>
>>46542242
I played against a guy like that a few weeks ago at a tournament in Toronto. The faggot was playing Bogles and was literally going out of his way to be a prick. At one point he tried getting me in trouble for "slow play" after he conveniently "declared his attackers" while someone across the room was shouting at the top of his lungs and I was checking the timer. He just sat there blank faced staring at me, not saying a thing for over a minute and then screamed for a judge.
Despite his best efforts I ended up winning the match by hitting him with deflecting palm while he was swinging with his 8/8 bogle.
He got so mad it wasn't even funny.
>>
File: 1456938623445.jpg (17 KB, 218x212) Image search: [Google]
1456938623445.jpg
17 KB, 218x212
>>46543271
>$200
>pro level
In what format?
>>
>>46545822
>80% of removal in modern is board wipes
nigga are you retarded?
>>
>>46553516
Legacy. Welcome to Manaless dredge motherfucker
>>
>>46551185
>Fucking mana weaving
But how else can I make sure my deck is consistent?
>>
>>46543206
>And in this post, we see the scrub in his natural environment.
>No one really knows why they shit post in threads instead of trying to Git Gud.
>Then again, if they did, they would not be scrubs.

If you are playing against miracles, then I guess you may have a point. Generally though... like... have you ever played chess against an actually good player? You know how it seems like any move you make just gets you deeper and deeper in shit? This is like that. Because you are a scrub, you can't see the decision paths that flow from every action. You just try to do shit, and your opponent who isn't a scrub has planned on you trying to do that shit. He has an answer, and you cry salty tears. You try to do more shit, but telegraph it in a dozen ways. Again, the non-Scrub plans around this, and has an answer. This continues, because you are tilted and not really making intelligent plays. Eventually the Non-Scrub plays a threat... and you didn't plan on it. You cry even greater tears, your anus is torn with pain. You finally lose the game you actually lost before walking up to the table. You come onto /tg/ and join the massive horde of Scrubs, and shitpost about how some idiot loser beat you with his retarded loser deck. You don't contemplate why you lose, because that is obvious to your tiny mind. The Non-Scrub hated fun, and made an unbeatable super deck. No, the possibility that you are bad at magic won't enter your thoughts. That you overplayed into a telegraphed boardwipe isn't important. That time were your opponent tapped out, were you could have stuck a threat, that you didn't even see. No, his deck was just unbeatable. On this you are firm. So you stay a Scrub, never growing, never learning. Eventually you die a Scrub, to your final day cursing magic as a shit game for twats. The Non-Scrubs nod, tune out your pointless talk, and play more magic.
>>
>>46553613

LED are like $150 each, and you need a playset for manaless dredge to work well.
>>
>>46540063
Because Blue decks are flat better. Yes they should all be equal but the problem is WotC has a hard on for blue. They let it break the color pie the most and let it do things it really shouldn't because "lol it fits the IDEA of blue."

The only way to fix this would be to bring the other colors up to blues level which they cant and wont do. It would break the game to get every format even.

This same shit is why white shit is so often cheap. White is the weakest color in all formats. Its the only color that is only good when paired with other colors. Thats because they stripped away whites key mechanics because they were "unfun". Lied about giving them some of blues mechanics in this case all tax based counters because they are creatively inept, literally saying "Working with that restriction we couldn't come up with good counters for blue so we gave tax based counters back." And then letting blue encroach on what white had left significantly, look at blinding drone for a recent reference.

There is inequality in the colors. That is why Tarn is worth so much more.
>>
>>46557223
>They let it break the color pie the most
that doesn't matter when blue's share of the color pie is literally "gameplay"
thinking ahead? having options? oh yeah yeah that's blue nigga
nonblue decks? eh, they can play cards, I guess
black occasionally gets things like thoughtseize but the only color that gets to play the game, rather than being played by the game, is blue
this is completely inane
>>
>>46556124
>If you are playing against miracles, then I guess you may have a point.
What format is control viable in besides Miracles' format? Is control reasonable in Vintage now that Lodestone Golem is restricted? Is control reasonable in Modern after the Eldrazi Winter passed? Is control reasonable in Standard despite rhino meta?
>>
>>46557609
Then get rid of the whole "idea" behind that card and stick to flat mechanics. If a card is obviously one color but is another with the justification that the idea makes it that other color the card should not be printed.
>>
>>46543271
>>FNM is filled with pro-leveled $200 decks

Average standard deck this past season cost 500+ because of fetches + flip jace.

That's unheard of since the days of JtMS, and these decks weren't even remotely close to caw-blade levels of power.

I'm actually looking forward to this new standard season because the deck prices will be more reasonable, and I can play some U/G/x flash creature draw-go deck.
>>
> tfw your group is entirely kitchen table and one guy with decent decks that lowers his power level so he doesn't scare the noobs off
It's kinda fun, but holy fuck does five players become a chore when everyone's afraid to attack.
>>
>>46540292
Casual in magic doesn't mean what you think it means. A casual deck does not conform to the tournament legal competition rules, which means they can run whatever cards they want regardless of legality including proxies. If you want casual play multiplayer or EDH.
>>
>>46545801
CARDNAME is phased out while spells or abilities are on the stack.
>>
>>46558171
Or "while spells or abilities and opponent controls are on the stack."
But Shroud is a more interesting mechanic than Hexproof.
>>
>tfw you live in Europe and can still get a Scalding Tarn for 50 bucks

I just bought a playset of Avacyn for €80
>>
>>46558222
>mfw Americucks will never, ever, EVER enjoy cheap prices at MKM
>>
File: demtarns.gif (555 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
demtarns.gif
555 KB, 256x192
>>46547139
You son of a bitch
>>
>>46557648
Why did Lodestone Golem even get restricted? I play Legacy but not vintage so Im really in the blind. A 4 mana 5/3 with a tax effect doesnt seem that broken especially in a format that allows you to use Moxes , Recall, Wheel of Fortune, Minds Desire etc.,
>>
>>46545063
Can't believe no one pointed this out, archetypes are a Yugioh thing. This dumbass thought there couldn't possibly be a different use of the word "archetype" in Magic lmao.
>>
>>46559845
lmao

LMAO BRO LMAO

LMAO LMO LMAO WHAT A DUMBASS AMIRITE?

LMAO LMAO TOP POST
>>
>>46559858
Dumb shitpost poster, lmao.
>>
>>46540063
hey, just sold 4 of these babies for 200 euro.

think i bought them for 100 euros
>>
>>46546666
Even if you could people to never ever look at any form of discussion of Magic Cards ever, that still doesn't work.
The guy buying ten boosters a week still has a leg up over the guys buying one or two a month.

You'd also need to ban any form of preconstructed product.
And THEN you'd need to disallow prexisting collections, because some people have maybe a few hundred janky cards from Fifth Dawn and Odyssey, while others have thousands of cards ranging from Masks up to SoI.
Shit just doesn't work.
>>
>>46560432
Just play Limited pal
>>
>>46559794
Workshop decks. imagine a 5/3 Thalia, but that also taxes everything but artifacts. After the opponent casts a turn one trinisphere.
>>
Why is it that standard is allowed to have interactions that have no answer. Nothing in standard hits graveyard, or counters or stops triggered abilities. So eldrazi abilities always go off and deathmist den protector is oppressive against certain matchups
>>
>>46557675
Fun fact: fetches are rotating.
>>
>>46561728
any chance the new fetches will drop in price? i was thinking of getting a playset for them all.
>>
>>46561859
Not at all.
Unless they get banned in modern LOL
>>
>>46541258
Wich seller? I've got the 81 packet one
>>
File: tg.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
tg.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>46545973
Would a card like this help to make control more playable in modern again?
>>
File: Smug.png (111 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
Smug.png
111 KB, 600x476
>>46543271
>pro-leveled $200 decks
>>
File: 1457851076655.jpg (63 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1457851076655.jpg
63 KB, 480x480
>>46561859
>Not buying chinamen fetches
Those are the best fakes around
>>
>>46540063
Statistically, if you just put another land into your deck instead of this fetchland wouldn't you be saving your self 1 life?
>>
File: large.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>46562849
>>
What pisses me off recently is that red keeps getting 5cmc burn spells that only target creatures while regular kill spells still exist. It's not like they can target players, would a 5 damage to target creature for 3 mana be any worse than ruinous path? It would be worse, actually, but wizards insists on creature only burn exist as a 1:1 cost.
>>
>>46558075
Play 12Post Lattice To Nothingness. Become the target.
>>
>>46562849
Not really. Fetches make it so you can play the land you need when you need to. Let's say you replace the fetches with islands.

If you're running 3 colors, those islands do not enable you to play your other,non blue spells.

You can also fetch shocklands and such at the end of their turn, so you get it in tapped, then it immediately untaps.

It's a lot of small advantages that make a huge difference for mana bases.
>>
>>46562849
In older formats you get to play brainstorm, then crack a fetch, so you can see three new cards and then shuffle away your two worst.

In modern, fetchlands are really important, because the on color ones let you fetch basics to play around what little LD there is.
>>
>>46552387
Wow you are dumbasses.
>>
File: Geist of Saint Traft.jpg (55 KB, 240x340) Image search: [Google]
Geist of Saint Traft.jpg
55 KB, 240x340
>>46552387
Last time I played Commander, I Armageddoned, tapped my opponents' tears for Mana Drain and equipped Sword of Fire and Ice to my Geist of St Traft.
>>
>>46552387
>nothing's banned
>except when feelings are hurt
>>
>>46564066
>>46564004
>>46563912
You see, sometimes people want to have this thing when they are all happy to play together and entertain each other, they call it 'fun'. If you're unfamiliar with it perhaps you should avoid EDH tables and stick to your shitty """""competitive""""" meme format that's basically poor man's Legacy and Standard's leftovers.
>>
>>46564182
>playing a game that is completly casual without using all the cards you can't use on sanctioned formats cuz powerlevel

You are having fun in the wrong way
>>
>>46544656
>implying siding out snapcaster to play rest in piece and meddling mage to stop living end is casual garbage
Are you upset little guy?
>>
>>46564182
>competitive play isn't fun

I hate this meme.

It's a different kind of fun to the kind you are having. Maybe your personality or the things you like about magic do not lead to you enjoying playing in a competitive environment. That's fine, don't play competitively. Just don't look down on people for liking what you don't like if you don't want them to think you are a dick.
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.