[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Narrative systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: HQ2.jpg (96 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
HQ2.jpg
96 KB, 350x450
>errybody be talkin' 'bout Fate Snore edition
>hey guys, wanna play a fun game?
>what is it?
>HeroQuest 2
>Never heard of it
>Glorantha?
>Looks dumb, are those duck people?

tl;dr Does anyone play HeroQuest: Glorantha or HeroQuest 2 anymore?
>>
File: Broo Attack.jpg (173 KB, 454x644) Image search: [Google]
Broo Attack.jpg
173 KB, 454x644
>>46535376
I'm running a Glorantha game in MRQ, set in Northern Ralios for a little more of that that dank semi-naked torc-wearing chariot-nigger tone than Heortlings got.

Sheep theft will ensue (Warlord games 28mm sheep are cute woud that I have a camera).
Currently scratchbuilding some palisades and a celtic roundhouse from matchsticks, plasticard and flock.

Did you know that GW Beastmen were originally leftover Broo from a Rune Quest contract?
>>
>>46535376
I never played it but I suppose that it is more useful for extroverted players. I would probably hate it.

>freeform plays
>not even once
>>
File: 3seN2Tx.jpg (248 KB, 500x1490) Image search: [Google]
3seN2Tx.jpg
248 KB, 500x1490
>>46535376
At the moment I'm taking a bit of a break from gaming, but I do want to run another Gloranthan game, although I'm not sure where and who.

I mean, even if I want to do something with Orlanthi, there's still a bunch of options.
>>
>>46538449
>pic

Every time.
>>
>>46535376
I like the HQ idea, but rules, while low in volume, are so vague that they confuse.
I would happily play it with a good DM and in good setting Mythic Rusisia's so damn awesome, but DMing it myself? I'd get bogged down in managing the mechanics more in any crunch-heavy sim game, where at least everything is straight and clear
>>
File: 1407969667974.png (49 KB, 261x239) Image search: [Google]
1407969667974.png
49 KB, 261x239
>>46535376
>are those duck people?
DAMN STRAIGHT THEY ARE!
>>
>>46538486
>>are those duck people?
>DAMN STRAIGHT THEY ARE!
And they are some surly, nasty, ill-tempered, badass head-chopping undead-slayin' motherfuckers who have HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR GIVING THEM SHIT FOR BEING DUCKS.
>>
I can't figure it out why people hate the so much ducks when there's actually stupid furry races in this setting. Ducks are quite good and original if stolen technically from Disney.
>>
>>46535376
I've wanted to run a game in Glorantha or the HeroQuest system, but I've not had the chance yet.

HeroQuest 2 actually looks really good for a general system. There are some aspects which look more interesting to me than Fate. It looks very well put together overall. I'm just not sure how removing the narrative progression would affect things and the experience progression seems a bit wonky. Also, the dice system means that it's mostly good for a tabletop game (rather than online play).
>>
>>46539553

because they have as much cooperation and usefulness in a campaign as kender. the only opportunity to give is to confirm to your friends you're actually fucking racist because a few bad experiences with kender/ducks (they kept stealing my shit / trying to kill me in totally unprovoked bloodlust) turns into an actual norm for their entire race.

you gotta remember the best donald duck cartoons are the ones where he's trying to CONTROL his unbridled fury.
>>
>>46539865

Base HQ2 is a game I'm really interested to run. I feel like the Ability + Breakout system is a great way to do categorical powers, like colors in M:tG or whatever type of powers a shonen hero has. In both cases, there's clear examples of what the power can and cannot do, but creativity within those boundaries is encouraged.

Imagine playing a Selesnyan Guildmage with Green 17 and breakout abilities like Naturalize and Giant Growth. Or a ninja with Taijutsu 12W2 and a breakout of Just a Punch.
>>
>>46539865
I think most tend to play without using the pass/fail narrative difficulty progression. HQ2 seems more interesting to me than Fate too, it's simultaneously more open to bizarre/flavorful concepts and less metagamey with regards to spending currency on every action. As in, I could actually see myself becoming immersed in HQ2 whereas Fate always failed me in that respect.
>>
>>46540109
Probably well suited to something like JoJo as well. I really want to run a galaxy-wide game of politicking and desperation in HQ, and a post-apocalypse gAmerican seems like it would be easy and fun too with the community resource rules.
>>
>>46541113
*post-apocalyptic game
>>
>>46539865
Ultimately, the pass/fail system and narrative progression can be seen as training wheels. The book says: "To choose a difficulty to overcome an obstacle, start by deciding whether you want the odds to lean toward failure or success, and to what extent. In short, assign a difficulty, and then justify it. Some Game Masters arrive at difficulty based purely on their own creative instincts. That’s not only acceptable, but commendable. Your own experience as a Game Master should be granted greater weight than any set of guidelines."
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.