[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Call of Cthulhu General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: RadCthulhu.png (163 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
RadCthulhu.png
163 KB, 500x500
Post things related to Lovecraftian tablet top.

Now question, for those who have used the dreamlands in a campaign, is it possible to use them to get information out of a sleeping person.
>>
Saddens me that there are hardly any CoC threads on here anymore...
>>
Bumping with some horror RPG stuff.
>>
File: Haunted Places in the USA.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Haunted Places in the USA.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
File: bu9ZfN7.jpg (1 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
bu9ZfN7.jpg
1 MB, 3200x2368
>>46535818
CoC threads are conversations revolving around a topic, not lolrandom one-uppery. /tg/ nowadays is too dredged in deluge to provide that forum. But it sure pays more ad revenue now!
>>
>>46534454
>Now question, for those who have used the dreamlands in a campaign, is it possible to use them to get information out of a sleeping person.
The Dreamlands aren't Tel'aran'rhiod. It is another world, a mirror of ours, but a blurry one. The only people who actually travel to the dreamlands in their sleep are Dreamers with a capital D.

So the only way to get first hand information about our world out of someone in the Dreamlands is by talking to another Dreamer. And with the power dynamics in the Dreamlands usually dependent on how familiar one is with the place, as well as the usual premise being that player characters are new to the Dreamlands, it can be hard to create a believable NPC the players can fool or coerce in the Dreamlands.

A somewhat friendly Dreamer NPC volunteering information is much more likely.
>>
File: 1457206304442.png (3 MB, 1536x1040) Image search: [Google]
1457206304442.png
3 MB, 1536x1040
>>
>>46534454
>Post things related to Lovecraftian tablet top.
how about a reading list?

what things in which order should I read if I want to play this sort of game?

>read so far
the Call of Cthulhu
the Colour out of space
Lurking Fear
the Music of Eric Zann
Dagon
Pickmans Model
the Dunwich horror
the statement of randolph carter
in the vault
cool air
the thing on the doorstep
dreams in the witch house
shadow over innsmouth
at the mountains of madness

and I'm 3/4 of the way through Herbert West.(I read during dead time at work, or on the toilet mostly...)
>>
>>46542513
You've read enough to know what's happening.
Maybe look at some Mythos authors with more recent work?
>>
>>46543268
suggestions?
>>
>>46542513
I'd recommend Rats in the Walls, it doesn't concern the mythos or aliens but it's otherwise a good example of the standard lovecraft fare of a protagonist having to deal with some mysterious force screwing with his life for no particular reason.

The force I mentioned eventually turns out to be nothing supernatural or alien, mental illness runs in the main character's family and he was starting to develop symptoms, I find it interesting because it's still about the same thing as lovecraft's other work, dealing with inhuman forces which are impossible to really stop and act without concern for humanity, while using nothing which wouldn't be possible in the real world
>>
>>46543289
also, how close are the games "arkham horror" and "Eldritch horror" to just straight up playing call of cthulhu?

>>46543298
thats actually the next thing in my little compendium, right after herbert west.
>>
>>46543329
>"arkham horror" and "Eldritch horror"
They're pretty lame rehashes of the tropes. The art and tone is fine, but the game mechanism lacks severely.

Compared to roleplaying Call of Cthulhu it's a whole different animal. It just has the reveal, the one thing you want the players to discover through their own initiative. That second part is completely missing, and that's where the fun is for me.
>>
>>46534454
I've got stuff for 6th edition here.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/oel9v4x2xn379/6th_Edition
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.