[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw this book at my local game shop, and it really caught my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8
File: 9112926_orig.jpg (267 KB, 619x800) Image search: [Google]
9112926_orig.jpg
267 KB, 619x800
I saw this book at my local game shop, and it really caught my eye. I've been yearning to do a post apocalyptic themed game for years, and this seems really interesting. Does anyone have experience with this set of games called Mutant: Year Zero? If I got this specific book, would it be the only one I need to play, because it's pretty expensive for a multisplat book.

It's really interesting, so anyone with experiences please share. How does the game perform mechanically? What systems is it similar to? I REALLY like the settlement management section I glossed over, how does that perform?
>>
File: 2015-05-01 09.31.09.jpg (306 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-01 09.31.09.jpg
306 KB, 1600x1200
the map on the inside cover
>>
File: Rep_zpsct4snohr.png (125 KB, 253x380) Image search: [Google]
Rep_zpsct4snohr.png
125 KB, 253x380
"reptile" mutation
>>
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: dDSE1sB.jpg (4 MB, 3600x2546) Image search: [Google]
dDSE1sB.jpg
4 MB, 3600x2546
>>
anybody have any input on this book, or the Mutant: Year Zero series?
>>
File: mutantyearzero_kap_12.jpg (548 KB, 1200x1694) Image search: [Google]
mutantyearzero_kap_12.jpg
548 KB, 1200x1694
>>
>>46529273
I haven't played Year Zero, but I played a fair bit of the edition before it; Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare (Heirs of Downfall, or Heirs of the Apocalypse). I think it was only published in Swedish though.

I haven't read up on Year Zero, but M:UA was amazing. It was pretty lighthearted for a PA-game, and had a nice and smooth system. Fairly balanced crunch overall, and a lot of nice fluff.

All I really think of Year Zero is that it seems grittier. It's had fantastic reviews, and has won a few rewards (I think), including the Swedish GOTY.
>>
>>46531068
I've read from a few reviews claiming that it is one of, if not the best, post apocalyptic RPG out there at the moment. Do you think some of these reviews could arguably be right? I've been looking for a good Apocalyptic ruleset to use for a long time, involving a lot of settlement-centric gameplay. I can't seem to find any PDFs of the specific book anywhere, or any Year Zero books at all for that matter.
>if anyone has any, it'd be much appreciated if you could send some my way
I get 30% off where I work so it's more like 40$ for the one book.

Do I need anything else to play it? or is the one book ready for play out of the wrapping?
>>
got ahold of a mega link on the PDF thread.
>https://mega.nz/#F!hEkCERwZ!_AHV73ellqcg90Sg41963w
>>
>>46529273
I'm a big fan of Gamma World's setting, though not necessarily of its rules. I wonder how good the mechanics are for this.
>>
My friend is a long term roleplayer and he likes this very much. He told me that you will need to scavange for food and supplies in a harsh and unforgiving world.
>>
>>46529273

The mechanics are pretty simple. You have three pools of d6's which correspond to three different things. Base Stats, Skills, and Gear.
Each set of d6's are of different colors.
1's are failures, 6's are successes.
Roll the appropriate amount of d6's as determined by your base+skill (if applicable)+gear (if applicable).

If you fail a roll you can "Push the roll", and reroll anything that isn't a 6 or a 1. This allows you a second chance to pass but you will take stress that can cause mutations. Mutations are powerful, but gaining them can be to your own determent.
1's on gear dice can break your gear.

Going out into the wasteland is always super risky, there other mutants, animals, robots, and just plain old radiation (they call it The Rot). Radiation constantly builds up, but can be removed. There is always the chance for it to be apart of your character permanently and eventually kill them. Which means even a good run out in the wasteland can be bad for a character.

Fighting is always dangerous for everyone.

Everything you need to run a game is in the book, there is a section for GMs about how to run a game and enemies.

I only got to run a single session of the game, and overall they liked the settings and mechanics enough but due to life we haven't really had time to keep playing.

>>46533014
Everything you need is in the game, there are going to be other books. Their next book is Genlab Alpha where mutant animals are playable. This book will be fully standalone but fully compatible with M:YZ.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.