[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>nat 20 >Okay, do double damage >nat 1 >Lol, your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: mcconaghey.gif (3 MB, 355x324) Image search: [Google]
mcconaghey.gif
3 MB, 355x324
>nat 20
>Okay, do double damage

>nat 1
>Lol, your sword explodes and you get thrown into the prone position, sundering your armor on a rock on the ground in the process. Take 1d6 damage from the explosion and 1d6 for falling. Take an additional -2 AC in addition to the penalty for being prone because of your broken armor. If you want to try and get up, that will be your whole action next turn and will also provoke an AoO
>>
>>46528794
It is an unwritten law that GMs who insist upon fumbles like this are humongous fags.
>>
>>46528794
Don't play with shit GMs. Also make them confirm the crit fail if they want to do crazy ridiculous fumbles.
>>
>>46528848
>>46528874

If I don't make you roll to confirm crit success, I don't have to roll to confirm crit failures
>>
>>46528915
Why don't you make people roll for crit confirms?
>>
i've always played nat 20 = auto hit/potential critical and nat 1 = auto fail.

sometimes i use a table for failures and sometimes i don't, but even if you roll the absolute worse thing on the fumble table you don't get anywhere close to your sword exploding. most of the time you just hit yourself in the face or twist a muscle or something and take a -1 to some stat for 3 rounds.
>>
File: 1456392765695.gif (2 MB, 360x264) Image search: [Google]
1456392765695.gif
2 MB, 360x264
>>46528794
>get nat 1
>dm says I miss and throw my hammer away and it sticks in a wall
>cool I'll just magic it back thanks to my bond with the weapon
>nah it's really stuck go walk and get it, should take you two turns
>>
>>46528794
>you get thrown into the prone position, sundering your armor on a rock on the ground in the process
You're about to go on a ride through a magical place
>>
Is the reverse a problem?

"OK critical hit, and I'll say because you're on the deck of a ship, there's a fortuitous lurch as you hit him. He's knocked back 1d6 spaces in addition to the bonus damage."
>>
>>46528794
I usually make the player trip, drop their weapon, miss so badly they provoke an AoO, or hit someone next to them. I think the worst I ever did was make someone fall off a roof and they were at the edge anyway. I did give them a reflex check to try and catch themselves......didn't work out so well....
>>
>>46528934
Not the person you are replying t
But i feel it cheapens the thrill of getting a natural 20
>>
Once I rolled a 1 to hit with my sword and then another 1 to confirm the "crit". Gm said at this point I'd accidently hurled my sword away at full force. We used exploding die so had to roll again. This time I got three 20's in a row. Gm said I ended hurling my sword into the BBEG and decapitating him.
>>
>>46529122
Yes
>>
File: GAABBEENNN.png (218 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
GAABBEENNN.png
218 KB, 480x480
>roll for sneak/assassination
>nat 1
>you fuck up real bad and alert every guard in the palace to your presence and also wound your leg in the process, roll for initiative

>nat 20
>you fucking bolt across the palace and do an awesome powerslide as you slice your target in half despite trying to sneak past. the target explodes in a firey flame of death, and you manage to get out of the explosion completely scot free

>oh wait, that alerts the guards, doesnt it

>roll for initiative
>>
>>46529132
what do you do if they crit success? just double damage?
>>
>>46529122
That's actually pretty neat. I like that.
>>
>>46529132
Why do people have a 5% chance to randomly lose basic motor control whenever they do something in your world? Do you feel the entire population of the planet suffering from random frequent seizures improves your gaming experience?
>>
>>46528794
We decided that if you role a critical failure on your critical failure roll, you kill yourself and everything immediately around you.
>>
>>46529122
Yes. A 1/20 chance for random shit to happen just because someone bonked someone else with a sword real good is just as stupid.
>>
File: mfw oh you're totally right.gif (754 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
mfw oh you're totally right.gif
754 KB, 500x273
>>playing 5e
>>dm is being a faggot and making rolls behind the screen if low [not critical failures, just low] rolls hit allies
>>the gnome is riding the wildshaped druid
>>calls for a ride check for no reason
>>mfw there is no ride skill only handle animal which is not applicable
>>mfw the DM says "lol make a death save immediately"
>>she rolls a nat one
>>he makes her roll a second time
>>dead in less than one round
>>mfw the first time playing gnome dies in less than one round as she hits the ground
>>mfw the bard finds a scroll of resurrection under the bed

if you're reading this fuck you
>>
The best way to handle nat 1s is to roll a percentile. if <50 then it's an auto miss. if it's >50 they hit themselves, or an ally with ranged weapons.
>>
>>46531393
>2.5% chance of trained soldiers slicing their own arms off every time they swing a sword in combat

No.
>>
>>46531393
What about if you roll a nat 1, the enemy that you're directly targeting gets one turn of having advantage against you?

Your failure to hit put you out of position enough to where you're easier to hit.
>>
>>46528794
If your criticals and fumbles are not equal in how fortuitous/damaging they are, you're a dick. Equal it out. They're losing the fight, but Barbarian gets a Nat20 in the Final Struggle against the BBEG? Fuck it, let him snap that fucker's neck.

Critical fumble on a deadly trap, when they were warned that this way was dangerous but lucrative, and they could have gone another route? Shishkebab their Cleric and let them learn from their mistakes by dealing with the consequences.

Nat 20's and Nat 1's are a Storyteller element, not a combat element.
>>
Holy shit, just have them lose initiative, lose their turn the next round, go flat footed for a bit, or provoke an AoO. Save the silly shit for 2 nat 1s in a row.
>>
>>46531267
>>46531313
it's fun
>>
File: confused.jpg (9 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
9 KB, 186x208
>somehow manage to stab yourself with a fucking polearm

I can sort of understand nat 1=hit self when you're using a "floppy" weapon like a flail or nunchaku.

But, how do you hit yourself with a pike?
>>
>>46531570
Well keep in mind that getting hit with a sword in d&d doesn't work like it does in real life. In real life if you get hit anywhere other than your armor its pretty much a certain you are out of the fight. In D&D most characters should be able to keep going after a single hit from your average enemy.

That being said perhaps it's better to say that the opponent parried and counterattacked on your turn if it's >50.
>>
File: Angelo_Bronzino_003.jpg (629 KB, 2536x3104) Image search: [Google]
Angelo_Bronzino_003.jpg
629 KB, 2536x3104
>>46532008
>pull back on pike to prepare for a thrust
>stance too low, misjudge where the pike is going
>hit yourself in the nuts with the haft
>wince, fall over
>entire party just points and laughs as kobolds swarm over and start to beat you with sticks
>>
On a natural one, roll again. On a miss, you leave yourself open and your opponent can make an attack of opportunity. That's all I've ever done, that's all I'll ever do.
>>
>>46531386
>Gnome
They got what they deserved
>>
>nat 20
Roll again and add the result to your previous roll
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.