[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HUMAN SORCERER D&D 4E
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 836.jpg (27 KB, 650x403) Image search: [Google]
836.jpg
27 KB, 650x403
I'm going to play a Human Sorcerer in 4E D&D I was wondering if Spells and At Wills are the same. How many do I get at first level?

Pic Unrelated.
>>
>>46527464
Read the handbook.

They are but aren't. I can't explain it better than that because it's been two+ years since I've played 4e.
>>
>>46527464
You have powers in the following types

>At Will

Meaning, as the name implies, you can use this whenever the fuck you want, however often you want.

>Encounter
Meaning, Once per short rest, although most DMS just consider it as an assumption and it's just "once per encounter"

>Daily
Once per day.

These are "spells" but they fall into the same structure as the "powers" used by all classes in 4e.

You get 2 at wills, plus 1 extra for being a human.
>>
>>46527464

Well that depends if you're going by the book as printed or the updated errata.

PHB 1 had humans have a 3rd at will ability instead of the normal 2.

The errata and the later Essentials handbooks had gave humans a racial encounter ability more in line with the other races.
>>
>>46527464
Well, since OP's question has been sufficiently answered, more-or-less, can we open this thread into a 4e general?

If so, I have a question: if I am playing a Half-Elf, what are the cream-of-the-crop 1st, Level At-Will powers to choose from for Dilettante?
>>
>>46533633
Twin strike or eldritch strike. A leader type power can be good too if the party is lacking a dedicated leader. Like sacred fire to grant a save.
>>
>>46530377
The Human encounter power is an option just like how Half Elves got an encounter power. It isn't errata. Both were allowed by the builder so both are valid.

>>46533633
Depends on your class. Con classes want Eldritch Strike for a good Con MBA. Iirc it also works with Cha but I may be wrong.
>>
>>46533831
>>46533826
Looking at an Iron Soul Monk, specifically.
>>
>>46534084
I'm on my phone and can't get my PDFs so take what I say with a grain of salt because it is all from memory.

I think monks don't care about the dilettante because they can't trigger FoB with it. Another problem is them being a Dex melee class. The only other one being Rogue who has weapon restrictions on a fair few of their powers.

If you really don't want the Half Elf Essentials power then I saw carry a dagger or other thrown/ranged weapon and twin Strike. Eldritch Strike may also be OK if your Con is good and your aren't grabbing Melee Training or Internalize the Basic Kata.
>>
>>46534084
Then you definitely want eldritch strike, for a con based melee basic attack.
>>
File: Iron_Soul_Flurry_of_Blows.png (124 KB, 364x271) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Soul_Flurry_of_Blows.png
124 KB, 364x271
>>46534501
Monks can trigger FOB from any attack they make, even a ranged one.

Also I don't see why everyone is recommending Eldritch Strike when Dire Radiance seems far superior (especially for a character with a buffed-up Con score, which mine happens to have).
>>
>>46534702
Again I said it was from memory so sue me.

And Eldritch Strike counts an MBA so you can charge and/or opportunity attack with it and in paragon make it your default MBA.
>>
bump cause this is /4eg/ now
>>
I'm going to play a cleric/shaman hybrid and I wanted to know what I should choose as a spirit. should I specialize in heals (probably the defender spirit) or should I diversify? my party makeup is a swordmage, ranger, rogue, and paladin (though the paladin doesn't show up more than the others)
>>
>>46527464
>Playing 4E when all the other editions exist
Why would you do that?
>>
>>46538150
Sounds like your party is pretty heavy on damage dealing, so defense would be the better option; but that's just my uninformed opinion.
>>
>>46538174
i was thinking of going with that already, but the healing focused spirit is the one that minor roles in defender, and both the swordmage and the paladin also defenders.
>>
>>46538167
Beacuse it's the only D&D worth playing (except maybe AD&D or earlier for research purposes).
>>
>>46538661
5e honestly isn't bad, though I guess you could make the argument that it's so vanialla you are bound to find something that does it better.

>>46538150
I personally really like the spirit (which name I don't remember) from darksun.
>>
>>46538150
Focus on spirit infusion and other abilities that can give attacks to your ranger and rogue.

The duty of the leader is not to heal, it is to enable, healing is a secondary thing
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.