[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Create the most overpowered MTG deck possible. Only restriction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: 80116.jpg (22 KB, 306x450) Image search: [Google]
80116.jpg
22 KB, 306x450
Create the most overpowered MTG deck possible. Only restriction is a maximum of 4 copies of each card. Everything is legal
>>
Blue combo deck that achieves infinite mana and turns on the first turn. The wincon is using Braingeyser or some other "Target player draws X cards" to make the other guy draw his entire library +1 in one go.
>>
1Leyline of Anticipation
1Black Lotus
1Channel
1Simian Spirit Guide
1Banefire
1Pact of Negation
1Pact of Negation

this is the whole deck
>>
File: technically correct.jpg (67 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
technically correct.jpg
67 KB, 500x514
>>46523005
Your deck loses every time it goes second.
It also loses to Mindbreak Trap, which I can only imagine is very popular in this format.

Instead run:
1x Leyline of Anticipation
2x Black Lotus
1x Channel
1x Banefire
1x Pact of Negation
1x Mindbreak Trap
1x Gitaxian Probe

If you go first and you draw Leyline, all is fine; cast Gitaxian Probe if you drew it.
If you go first and you don't draw Leyline, mulligan for it and try to live through a turn.
If you don't go first, Mindbreak Trap to try and live through a turn.
>>
>>46523563
How does he lose going second? The leyline lets him do his plays during upkeep. Still by far not the best deck he could be playing, but that won't be why.
>>
>>46522941
5 Islands and 206 Battle of Wits.
>>
>>46523898
good luck drawing into those islands
>>
>>46523005
Im not that familiar with the game, how could you do anything with just 7 cards?
>>
File: shahrazad.png (381 KB, 1296x672) Image search: [Google]
shahrazad.png
381 KB, 1296x672
>>46522941
White deck which utilizes as many shahrazads as you can find.
>>
>>46523939
Not that anon, but the reason his deck is 7 cards is because those seven cards are an instant kill combo with two counterspells to protect it.
>>
>>46522941
4x Amulet of Quoz
4x Bronze Tablet
4x Contract from Below
4x Darkpact
4x Demonic Attorney
4x Jeweled Bird
4x Rebirth
4x Tempest Efreet
4x Timmerian Fiends
4x Black Lotus
4x Mox Emerald
3x Mox Ruby
4x Channel
4x Banefire
1x Simian Spirit Guide
4x Elvish Spirit Guide
Ask if we're playing for ante, if we're not, remove all 36 ante cards from the deck.
Mulligan aggressively.
>>
So, how do I abuse Black Lotus, Scheherazade, and Howl of the Horde to guarantee the maximum number of secondary games? Bonus points for leaving copies of the combo in the library for recursion.
>>
>>46524093
Use Panoptic Mirror to start a new subgame whenever one ends. Use Hive Mind to get one or more additional subgame on the stack each time you play it.
>>
>>46524093
What about Enter The Dungeon?
>>
File: Enter the Dungeon.xlhq.jpg (606 KB, 745x1040) Image search: [Google]
Enter the Dungeon.xlhq.jpg
606 KB, 745x1040
>>46524093
>Create the most overpowered MTG deck possible.
>Only restriction is a maximum of 4 copies of each card.
>EVERYTHING is legal
>>
>>46524093
You'll need to have more cards than your opponent or else you'll draw out in the recursive games. You also need to have some sort of threat or you'll just lose all the additional games by default.
>>
>>46524093
>>46524491
if you want maximum subgames you don't copy the Scheherazade, you wish for it in the subgame, then make a sub-sub game. this also makes your victory in the subgames less relevant, as it will only impact the subgame above it.
>>
>>46522941
Just take the only cards you need for a turn 0 win (i.e before the opponents upkeep).
That is if you meant there is no minumum deck size.
>>
>bunch of Moxen
>Lotus
>set of Tinker
>Mystical Tutor
>Demonic Tutor
>set of Blightsteel
>>
File: Wheel of Sun and Moon.jpg (238 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Wheel of Sun and Moon.jpg
238 KB, 480x680
>>46524491
>You also need to have some sort of threat or you'll just lose all the additional games by default.
The deck's goal VERY blatantly isn't winning.
As long as you can infinitely recur subgames, you're fine.

He'll, this could be your wincon along with a large number of subgame victories.
>You'll need to have more cards than your opponent or else you'll draw out in the recursive games.

If it really matters that much, since the goal is pissing of your opponent, you could just stall into a Divine Intervention or something?

>>46524588
I could see the subgame recognizing the card as "outside the game", but it seemed like removing the card from the main game would be illegal.
I looked it up, and it turns out you are allowed to do that.
>713.4. All objects in the main game and all cards outside the main game are considered outside the subgame (except those specifically brought into the subgame). All players not currently in the subgame are considered outside the subgame.
>713.4a Some effects can bring cards into a game from outside of it. If a card is brought into a subgame from a main game, abilities in the main game that trigger on objects leaving a main-game zone will trigger, but they won't be put onto the stack until the main game resumes.
Pic related is infinite recursion, which would probably do wonders in the small deck you'll eventually end up with.
>>
>>46524811 (You)
It doesn't quite work, but best I can come up with is:

2x Wheel of Sun and Moon
1x Enter the Dungeon
2x Death Wish
1x Living Wish
1x Swamp
3x Dark Ritual
2x Manamorphoses

You enter the subgame with :

1x Wheel of Sun and Moon
2x Death Wish
1x Living Wish
1x Swamp
2x Dark Ritual
1x Manamorphoses

Then wish down Shahrazad a Wheel and a Swamp.

But you start each subgame with too many cards and run out of rituals.
Anyonehave a better way to put your graveyard back in your deck?
(Discard Ulamog or something?)
>>
People are too obsessed with Channel+Banefire as a win combo when it folds instantly to Leyline of Sanctity.

x1 Leyline of Anticipation
x1 Leyline of Sanctity
x1 Leyline of Lifeforce
x1 Black Lotus
x1 Laboratory Maniac
x1 Gitaxian Probe
x1 Chancellor of the Annex

I don't know if I should trade Leyline of Lifeforce for something else though. I just wanted to get something out there that prevents counters to my critical cards quickly.
>>
>>46524447
holy shit, that can't be real.
>>
>>46525062
you can't play manamirphose off of dark ritual.

research, possibly along with glittering wish is probably a better option if you're going for <60 card decks
>>
>>46523898
>>46523922
70 islands, 70 swamps, 158 shadowborn apostles, 1 runescarred demon, 1 battle of wits.
>>
>>46525174
It was from the unhinged (or was it unglued) set, where none of the cards were legal and each of the cards were satire on magic.
You should look it up.
>>
>>46523005
Add 1 Force of Will and 4 Street Wraith
>>
>>46525367
>unhinged (or was it unglued)
it's both. I like the idea but those 2 sets keep fucking with my software filters
>>
>>46525367
Also, Shahrazad.
>>
>>46524447
How many tables would you need to stack on top of one another to play the first game to make this work?
>>
>>46525405
The street wraiths won't help, you need 20+ life to channel for the game.
>>
>>46525635
ah, good point
>>
>>46524811
>As long as you can infinitely recur subgames, you're fine.
The question is the possibility of infinitely recurring subgames, because Shahrazad uses your library as your deck so any card in your hand or graveyard is outside of the new game.
>>
I feel like one of the potentially most powerful decks with these rules would be a Flash Hulk Deck. With 4x Access to Gush, Scroll and everything else it needs and the ability to potentially kill the opponent very easily before his first turn...
>>
Isn't channel fireball still the best deck for turn 1 wins?
>>
>>46527077
"best"
it's probably the best when you don't need to consider the rest of your deck, but other combos are more resilient/reliable in real play. flash hulk is the best early win combo I can think of given no other restrictions, but I am not terribly familiar with the kinds of things that have come and gone in vintage. turn 0 is a rarity in magic regardless
>>
if you remember shandalar, you can make a deck like this, and use it in duels:

4 black lotus
4 every mox
4 mana crypt
4 sol ring
4 ancestral recall
4 braingeyser
4 timetwister
4 wheel of fortune
4 demonic tutor
4 contract from below
4 black vise

you basically cast all your shit, play timetwister, repeat until you have a few black vise in play, make your opponent draw extra cards with recall/braingeyser, pass the turn.
>>
>>46523947
that's what i call meta gaming
>>
>>46527077
Channel Fireball still needs you to find GGR(1), Flash Hulk kills you dead for 1(U) and can literally combo out T2 by simply having two islands and the combo, no magical christmas draws required.
>>
Leyline of Anticipation x1
Leyline of Sanctity x1
Laboratory Maniac x1
Black Lotus x1
Pact of Negation x2
Brainstorm x1
>>
>>46528710

Shit replace Brainstorm with Gitaxian Probe.
>>
>>46526042
your wincon is a donated Nefarious Lich which you wish for in your subgame
>you are already dead
>>
>>46525742
For future reference, Gitaxian Probe is generally better then Street Wraith.
Unless you're recuring creatures or something.
>>
>>46525618
Do tables count as "below" if they're on a lower floor?

>>46525174
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74312
>>
>>46528710 >>46528830
And while you're at it, cut the Leyline of Sanctity for a 3rd Pact of Negation.
Being able to stop any number of cards that target /you/ is a lot less useful than being able to stop 1 card that does anythings.
>>
>>46527672
What do you grab with Hulk? 4x Disciples and an artifact sac outlet for the moxen?
>>
File: Flash Hulk.jpg (922 KB, 2880x680) Image search: [Google]
Flash Hulk.jpg
922 KB, 2880x680
>>46533897
Hulk grabs Body Double (copying Protean Hulk) and a 1-drop sac outlet.
Body Double, grabs Reveillark and Mogg Fanatic.
You sac the Reveillark to recur Body Double (as Reveillark) and Mogg Fanatic.
You sac Body Double to recur Body Double (as Reveillark) and Mogg Fanatic
You sac Body Double to recur Body Double (as Reveillark) and Mogg Fanatic.
And so on.
>>
>>46533074
>Being able to stop any number of cards that target /you/ is a lot less useful than being able to stop 1 card that does anythings.
Actually, leyline of sanctity's power in this case is that it starts the game on the battlefield. It, itself, cannot be countered by your opponent's pact of negation/mindbreak trap and it forces your opponent to have some sort of win con other than targeting you.

Example: If a tournament were held I don't think anything in this topic would be able to stop >>46525120. Another deck would need at minimum two counters just to get passed the Chancellor and with clever play it might require 3 to beat, and even then it would just come down to who loses from deck out first because no one in the topic has a 3+ pact deck that wins without targeting.
>>
>>46535000
Denying your opponent's wincon is a nice effect, but comboing off in response to your opponent comboing off will already block a win.
Or just destroy the combo by having more Pacts of Negation than your opponent.

Chancellor of the Annex is also a worse choice than Pact of Ngation.
It eats a single Pact of Negation, but so does Pact of Negation.
Unlike Chancelor of Annex, Pact of Negation can eat cards that aren't Pact of Negation.

>>46522941
>Only restriction is a maximum of 4 copies of each card
Does this include basics, Relentless Rats and Shadowborn Apostle?
>>
>>46524651
>summoning sickness
>>
File: table-bench-pyramid-stack.jpg (53 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
table-bench-pyramid-stack.jpg
53 KB, 600x400
>>46525618

add copy effects and shaharazad and my body is ready.
>>
Guys, every deck in this format is going to have ~8 cards in it.

Can we use Burning Inquiry as a wincon?
>>
>>46535428
An interesting idea
x4 Simian Spirit Guide
x4 Overmaster
x1 Burning Inquiry

Should be a draw game every time. It's vulnerable to Mindbreak Trap though.
>>
>>46535588
Throw in the eight "free" draw spells if you want to pad out the deck enough to theoretically win.

Theoretically because every deck worth shit will decide the game on the first player's upkeep phase.
>>
File: or force opponent.jpg (1011 KB, 3360x680) Image search: [Google]
or force opponent.jpg
1011 KB, 3360x680
>>46535428
>Guys, every deck in this format is going to have ~8 cards in it.
But for some reason we can't run 7 Chancellor of the Dross.
4 Chancellor of the Dross and 3 Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug, sure.
But that's too slow.

>Can we use Burning Inquiry as a wincon?
Yes, but only sub optimally.
Best I can think of is pic related.

I'm kind of curious what sideboard would look like in this format.
Though I'm not sure what they would do besides pad you deck against targeted draw.
Or maybe sideboard into a completely different deck while your opponent gimps their deck?
>>
>>46535697
Scoops to Leyline of Sanctity.
>>
>>46535738
Damn oracle text.
It's a shame there's no (good?) way to get R&D's Secret Lair into play during your first upkeep.
>>
>>46535697
>>46535738
Thats why I like burning inquery.

1x Leyline of Sanctity
1x Leyline of anticipation
3x Black lotus
2x Burning Inquiry
3x Pact of negation

Mulligan to both leylines, a lotus and an inquiry. We run more lotuses than inquirys because they're likely to pact the first thing we play (lotus). The fact that our deck naturally has to be padded means that we have duplicates of key cards (lotus and inquiry) so sometimes we dont care if they pact one, which is unlike every other deck here which is just trying to jam a single copy of a spell and fill the rest of their deck with pacts.
>>
No minimum deck size
1x Lab Maniac
1x Leyline
1x Black Lotus

Did it
>>
>>46536093
Loses instantly. Good job, you've made the least effective deck possible.
>>
>>46536085
because they're likely to pact the first thing we play (lotus)
They'll definitely Pact your mana source, if you hold of to Pact the wincon you risk folding to storm.
>The fact that our deck naturally has to be padded means
You could run a 7 card deck and mulligan down to avoid killing yourself.
Though I think that lowers your chances of going off.
>which is unlike every other deck here which is just trying to jam a single copy of a spell
Even doing that, and including your own Pacts, you'll probably loses the counter war before your first Inquiry resolves.

>>46536093
You lose from decking yourself if you draw out of an empty deck while building your starting hand.
Though, the only "sanctioned" situation where that can happen is if you draft 5+ Serums Powders in a Mirrodin draft.
Also, your opponent will resolve their wincon before your natural draw comes around.
And Leyline of Anticipation -> Black Lotus -> Laboratory Maniac -> Gitaxian Probe, behind 3 Pacts of Negation, already got mentioned upthread.
>>
>>46536295
Storm would be interesting in this format, but how do you win with everyone having t1 leyline of sanctity?

And mulliganing down to four really hurts your odds of surviving, given that your best opener would be 2 leylines a lotus and an inquiry, you have no countermagic.
>>
>>46536346
>>46536374
Only you and I know the truth
>>
4x Hedron Alignment
1x Gemstone Caverns
Where else do we go with this?
>>
>>46522941
>most overpowered MTG
4 of every alpha edition power nines
4 of every alpha edition duals
How to overpower your opponent? Lose the game then fan out your deck to your opponent afterwards.
>>
>>46536643
Glue glitter to the cards too.
Just to be safe.
>>
>>46524075
>using more than 8 cards
You are bad at Magic.
>>
>>46525096
>(You)
>>
4 dark ritual
4 cabal ritual
4 mox jet
4 mox ruby
4 black lotus
4 lotus petal
6x black fetches
4x badlands

4 contract from below
4 wheel of fortune
4 yawgmoths will
4 demonic tutor
2x tendrils of agony

4 pact of negation
4 defence grid

The second tendrils is in case you ante it by accident
>>
>>46539050
Probably 4 LEDs over the pacts
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.