[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why chain swords and chain axes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: Chainsword_Schematic.jpg (54 KB, 422x458) Image search: [Google]
Chainsword_Schematic.jpg
54 KB, 422x458
Why are there no chain pikes in Warhammer 40k they sound pretty useful.
>>
File: Prince-of-Crows[1].jpg (154 KB, 650x823) Image search: [Google]
Prince-of-Crows[1].jpg
154 KB, 650x823
Night Lord's Sevatar used one
>>
>>46519651

Chain weapons eat into your enemies flesh.
>>
>>46519651
I moddled them on my khone berserker army if that counts.
>>
>>46519682
Thats the first thing I'v seen about one in a month of looking thanks.
>>
>>46519651
Axes and swords are cooler.
>>
>>46519651
>pike
>thrusting weapon
>using a chain blade
I mean, chain blades are already kind of uncool and fumbly. But chain blades meant for stabbing?
>>
>>46519748
>>46519682

There are even the rules for it, as 30k Night Lords players can equip their characters with it.

It's call a ChainGlaive.

S+1, AP3, Two Handed, Rending
>>
Space spain is inquisitorial
>>
>>46519846
I know, right? A drill would be much better.
>>
>>46519651
Chain shurikens are the best.
You pull the string to get the built-in engine going, and then it starts spinning and chaining like crazy, and u have to throw it away before it cuts off your arm. Sadly they are completely inaccurate due to the magnus effect.
>>
How about chain shield?
>>
>>46520062
I like it, maybe this can go in the next sanguine sheilds thread.
>>
I know! how about a chain SAW!
>>
HERETICAL THOUGHT OF CREATING BLASPHEMOUS TECHNOLOGY

PLEASE REPORT TO THE LOCAL MAGOS FOR IMMEDIATE CONSCRIPTION INTO THE SKITARII.
>>
>>46520086
I'm imagining a round-shield, with a shield to operator size proportion similar to the spartans in the movie "300" a chain arrangement to on two sides that each cover about a third of the edge, with clear spots at the top and bottom.

lots of edge-strikes with that one.

another variant might be more pointed and similar to the silver knight/black knight shield from Dark Souls. with a pair of chain-edges at either side of the "tip" of the shield overlapping slightly at that tip so that the blades bias towards dragging the tip of the shield into or through any target it's thrust at. and since the blades would be, of necessity out of perfect alignment it would cause the shield on a head on thrusting attack to try and simultaneously twist and drag itself through whatever you were stabbing...

with
>>
>>46520122
That's stupid. You're stupid.
>>
>>46520487
What about a chain spoon then or chain fork?
>>
>>46521322
>chain forklift
>mfw it actually exist
>>
>>46521322

Didn't Curze have a fork powerful enough to shank Vulkan through the sternum? That was probably a Power Fork.
>>
>>46519651
I've always wanted to take a polesaw to a renaissance faire as part of a goofy science fantasy costume.
>>
>>46526089
>Residual heat from the powerfield slightly heats the food.
That could be great. As long it's not a salad fork.
>>
>>46526089
>Play Rough Trader
>Go on Epic Space Adventure to recover cache of archotech
>Murder several rivals also hunting for cache
>Kill millions of Orks, sparking a waaagh that floods half the sector with a green tide
>Glass one and a half planets
>Make an Inquisitor 'disappear'
>Get married to a Gelf Princess that looks like Bigfoots Ugly Sister
>Grab the loot and ditch new bride
>Among items in the cache is Archotech Power Knife
>Disruptor field generator more powerful and advanced than anything you'd find outside of a First Founding Chapters vault.
>Fits inside the handle of a normal sized knife.
>The AdMech would pay a /fortune/ for this.
>Seriously, they'd lead a Crusade to seize multiple sectors, just so they can hand them over in payment.
>Ask DM: "So, the power field has adjustable settings right?"
>DM: "Yeah. You could use it as a scalpel, or to open up bulkheads."
>Me: "Cool, I'm gonna keep it to make toast. Just got to find the right setting. Crispy, but not too crispy."
>DM: "........ why?"
>ME: "Because I'm a Rough Trader? If I can't use priceless Archotech to make toast, what's the point?"
>>
>>46520062
Technically, the Centurions have those...kinda. They are Chain Fists.
>>
>>46520064
Crimson Crowns, aka chain chakram are not Innacurate in RT
>Range SBx4; 1d10+2R; Pen 0; Tearing
>>
File: 1418620730620.jpg (69 KB, 907x624) Image search: [Google]
1418620730620.jpg
69 KB, 907x624
>>46527140
>>
>>46527140
>Rough Trader
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>46527140
That is, in actual fact, the Right Way to play Rogue Trader.
>>
>>46527580
>Rough Trader
Yep. I didn't make a typo. All RP scenes are done in a bad imitation of Jean Renos accent.
>>
File: 1426672688749.jpg (73 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
1426672688749.jpg
73 KB, 800x598
>>46527140
>>
Okay, I'm going to turn my autism on. But, in reply to your question. I'm going to come up with a justification why. First off, the impracticality of it. To have a 6-9 foot long pole with a chainsaw blade on it. And the accompanying motor unit at the very end would make the thing mega awkward and unbalanced. The lag between the commencement of your swing and it's completion would be huge. And just try stopping a swing, or changing it's direction. You'd be so hosed. Yet alone having enough leverage to hold the damn thing in place long enough and with enough force to have the blade bite into anything.
>>
>>46528282
>Polearm
>Swing
I'm sorry, you what?
>>
>>46519982
I find it weird that nightlords make use of that. I can't imagine an army of edgy batman wannabes using a pole arm.

Would've expected something that lets you get close and personal
>>
>>46528324
For the purposes of this lame discussion. Assume that swing is shorthand for any attack. Whether it be a thrust, jab, swipe etc. Either way having a , for the sake of argument let's say 5 pound motor at the end of a haft, is fucking retarded even for 40k.
>>
What is chainsword fighting like? I saw someone say it's like tai chi
>>
>>46527140
What is with Rogue Traders and toast? I had a friend spend shit tons of money and points all so that he could make fucking servitors with toast slots in them, complete with 'ding' when it was ready.
>>
>>46528569
Like regular sword fight but with chainsaws
>>
>>46528788
Cause it's Talky the talking toaster. Talky's the name, toasting's the game.
>>
>>46519651
>Why are there no chain pikes in Warhammer 40k?

>they sound pretty useful

I think you answered your own question there. In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium there is only inefficency.
>>
>>46528469
found the flaw...
>5 pound motor at the end
>at the end
the motor could be anyplace along the length of the shaft(like maybe the not-business end), so long as you get a mech-linkage to the actual blade component you don't have that issue.

next design hurdle?

>>46528788
because it is such a trivial task to make toast that it feel empowering to use something fantastical to perform such a mundane task

>>46528935
not quite
>>
>>46528423
>Chain Katana with integrated short-range teleporter

Somebody mail that idea to ward please
>>
>>46528569
hack and slash button mashing.
>>
>>46527348
You're thinking of Terminator apothecaries. It's not a drill it's a gene seed extractor
>>
>>46519651
>Why are there no chain pikes in Warhammer 40k they sound pretty useful.
Sororita totally need Fleur-de-lis Chain Pikes...

>>46520062
>A drill would be much better.
Eh... Not unless they're anime mecha drills...
Then they're just going to be more unwieldly pikes that get stuck in your enemies...

>>46520086
>How about chain shield?
>>46520435
A cool idea.

>>46527348
>Technically, the Centurions have those...kinda. They are Chain Fists.
>>46529265
>You're thinking of Terminator apothecaries. It's not a drill it's a gene seed extractor
No, Centurions CAN have Drills, but they're called Siege Drills, because they're used for boring into fortifications.
They also have build in Flamers.
>>
>>46528469
Typical polearm formation fighting strategies involve pointing your weapon at the enemy and marching forward. For fighting cavalry it's even simpler: point your weapon at the enemy and set the butt on the ground. Either way, it's the mass of the formations colliding that does most of the work.

Also, consider this: 20-30 foot spears were historically relatively common. That's with a shaft stiff enough to punch through armor without folding in half. Is an 8 foot pole with a little chainsaw really than unreasonable?

The reason it wouldn't work has nothing to do with weight and balance, and everything to do with the fact that a chainsaw is an shitty weapon that's worse than worthless against armor.
>>
The STC for them just hasn't been found yet.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.