[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dragon Ball Z - The Roleplaying Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
File: Version 052.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Version 052.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Donut Steel Edition

PDF Link:
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2EvLNgly4OtLVhJWWl6NmxRQTA

Character Sheet
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2EvLNgly4Otazc3NTVpQVNYODA

Suggestions Doc
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZO-js9ylLnqSrl4hVz1iJFE-S-imNrCrdnuyMaVrAk0

News that should be on Twitter or Tumblr but isn't because I'm lazy:
>Combat is being overhauled thanks to a suggestion in a thread that is now found in the Suggestions Doc
>As per a suggestion on the Suggestions Doc, races are now getting several more Racial Traits, with players being able to choose from two.
>Some Skills are getting axed or repurposed to cut down on redundancies

I'm also reformatting the PDF to be better suited for a limited-run physical printing. However, I want to be sure that the game is actually more polished and more complete. I don't have an exact timetable for a release (per the usual) but ideally I'd have a physical copy in hand for Momocon (late May). Even if it's an updated version of the old-as-hell v0.3 that I have in a binder.
>>
File: WAKU WAKU MO DEKKAI ZE.gif (674 KB, 500x573) Image search: [Google]
WAKU WAKU MO DEKKAI ZE.gif
674 KB, 500x573
>>46515423
>Combat overhaul? What's that?

Well a while back we kinda' decided that it was time to abandon a raw Damage to HP form of indicating that damage was done, since that just doesn't suit the narrative of Dragon Ball and was kind of a pain to balance for.

So somebody suggested that we look at a game like Legends of the Wulin to get an idea for how we could implement a system where damage dealt doesn't necessarily directly correlate to health lost. So now we've got a system where for every 5 Damage done to an opponent, that opponent adds 1 DC to a test to soak the damage. Soak tests are STR + TOU, and can be increased with armor or by blocking. The net failures of the soak test result in "Damage Effects" rather than health lost, which are effectively narrative injuries backed up mechanically by fatigue or other status effects.

We're planning on having a bunch of sample damage effects (that lack hard math, meaning that they'll be functional this time around), ranging from "You're hit hard enough to be winded, but not so much that you've taken lasting damage. Increase Fatigue by 1," to "The blow finds purchase and you hear a sickening 'crack' as the wind exits your lungs. If you were hit by a Called Shot, that limb is now broken. If the called shot was to the head, you are unconscious for [an indeterminate length of time]. If you weren't hit by a called shot, your now have several broken ribs. Increase Fatigue by 2 and you may not move next turn."

Ki will get a different set of damage effects just so we can have "You emerge from a cloud of dust completely unscathed," and "You struggle to survive, but you never stood a chance. You feel an overwhelming burning sensation, which gives way to a total numbness as your nerve endings are completely seared beyond repair. Panic sets in as you see your limbs turn to ash and break away from your body. If you wish, you may let out a single, short exclamation before your torso is evaporated."
>>
Your 15 minutes of /tg/ fame ran out a long time ago.
>>
File: ddydkkw.gif (2 MB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
ddydkkw.gif
2 MB, 426x240
>>46515649
In addition to the damage mechanic replacement, there's also various revisions being done to various combat actions.

-Block is being changed from a Full Round Action to a Reaction that players use to add to their soak pool.
-Reactions are being revised to allow for a reaction per attack rather than per round
-Afterimage is being revised to something that occurs after a high enough number of net successes to dodge is met (ie: if you get at least three net successes to dodge you leave an afterimage that confuses the opponent, who may make a relevant test to immediately acquire the target (Sense Ki, Perception, Search, ect) or otherwise reacquire the target at the top of the round.
-Special Combat Maneuvers are being added to allow for more depth in combat. These include acts such as:
>Called Shot (how was this not there?)
>Feint (Revised): On a successful Deception test vs the target's Perception you may remove a number of dice from their reaction by the number of net successes, and add those to your own attack.
>Knockback Attack: A punch or blow of some kind that results in the target being pushed back by a number of meters equal to 10 meters per success. The target may make a Fly test with a DC equal to the successes the attacker made to hit. If they fail the target loses their next move action readjusting.
>>
File: 1422643658527.jpg (11 KB, 213x200) Image search: [Google]
1422643658527.jpg
11 KB, 213x200
>>46515649
you're actually implementing the Wulin Damage suggestion? Cool. Can't wait to read them over.

>>46515707
Calm down, it's slow season between 'murkans going to bed and australians getting off work and getting bored enough to come online
>>
File: 1429619455053.jpg (475 KB, 700x842) Image search: [Google]
1429619455053.jpg
475 KB, 700x842
>>46515707
Fuck off, this is my only hope for not having to make a DBZ RPG myself.
>>
These are good news to wake up to. I'm really looking forward to making a block-based character that no sells attacks.
>>
>>46515707
Why are some people so butthurt about this system, that pop out in every thread? Who did you anger, Regalia?
>>
>>46515707
shut the fuck up faggot, there are still people interested in this.
>>
File: Cell.jpg (530 KB, 1969x2500) Image search: [Google]
Cell.jpg
530 KB, 1969x2500
>>46516773
yes very interested
as ridiculous as DBZ can get I still love the show
and would want to see a functioning rpg
>>
>>46515423
Any other suggestion's you're eyeing?

Will you use the Steel Donut as your Android Icon? in 0.60?
>>
>>46518760
>suggestions
>>
File: 1440789693188.jpg (137 KB, 614x960) Image search: [Google]
1440789693188.jpg
137 KB, 614x960
bump
>>
Nothing much to discuss since everything has pretty much been said about the system already, plus the tournament crew has been rather inactive lately, probably waiting for updates.
>>
>>46523908
At least from my end, I've been holding off because we've tested the system to death with the previous version. We've done one vs group, group vs. group, and solo vs. solo combats, and we've tested high tiers vs. low tiers, mid tiers vs low tiers, low tiers vs. low tiers, and high tiers v.s. high tiers. Literally, all we can do if we test some more is go "We've confirmed everything we thought of before."

Now that he's outlined some of the changes he'll make, we can probably start testing again. It'll mainly be skirmish stuff, because Tournament Guy's getting molested by finals and his waifu but we can give it a go.

I'm not too sure Regalia and EMM. pay us too much attention anymore, though. They don't drop in like they used to, but at least they've proven they read the suggestions we throw up in the doc.
>>
>>46524004
That said, until we see the actual damage effects rules, we're probably gonna be making shit up on the fly for how hard we just got hit.
>>
>>46524004
>>46524025
I'd rather wait to see the exact changes and additions before skirmishing again.
>>
>>46524088
I think we've seen most of the meat on the combat additions. And the damage effects shouldn't be hard to guess. They're using Legends of the Wulin rules, so we can probably crib off of those.
>>
>Legends of the Wulin
Oh boy I can't wait to have a combat that lasts five million years now.
>>
>>46524416
Well, anon was complaining about how combat didn't last as long as it did on the show.
>>
>>46524437
That's literally the worst part of DBZ is how all the fights were basically so long it was filler.
That anon's a retard.
I rather have combat that's fast paced and fun with DBZ elements that lasts like 10-ish minutes than be waiting for Namek to explode for 2 fucking hours cause neither me or Frieza can get through our soaks.
>>
>>46524685
I disagree.
>>
>>46524685
Well, I can see some of the arguments people had about OHKOs. Because that was a legitimate concern.

That said, it happened fairly rarely if you had any good defensive rolls at all. I usually saw combat last from anywhere between 5-10 rounds unless one opponent was that much better than the other. And, really, I consider 6-8 to be the best length for non-boss encounters. By round 4 or 5, there should be someone who's obviously superior/in better condition. By round 6 or 7, the other party should be either dead or pulling a miracle out of their asses.
>>
File: tumblr_nwf4rfl9541u7487lo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwf4rfl9541u7487lo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>46516754
Still 99% sure it's the butthurt guys that made the other RPG. Shitposting increase ten fold when I pointed out that they straight up aped my layout and huge chunks of my text. Since I brought them up here they've started posting a laundry list of links to every version of their game so that you can see how long it's been in development, which I can sort of appreciate.

>>46524004
I still try to be around, I'm just not as good at it as I used to. Mostly it's because I make threads at shit times without thinking about having the time to properly respond to posts. Like right now - I just got off work and I'm checking up on the thread before going to my University for a creative writing workshop and then meeting up with EMM and some guys for some Rippers. Ideally, I'd have made the thread on a day where I'd be able to sit down and reply to shit, but if the thread is around tomorrow I'll have the time to address things in more detail.

>>46524416
>>46524437
>>46524685
>>46524793
>>46525205
Meh, most of the issues stemmed from combat in general not lasting long enough to be suitably climactic. There's still balancing to be done, we're not looking to make combat hyper long, we just want it to not last for two seconds and not be super awesome while it's happening.
>>
>>46527785
Is it better to message your Facebook or your email to get a hold of you personally?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.